What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

QB Matt Stafford, LAR (1 Viewer)

Overrated as a real life qb (not fantasy)?

• Way overrated

Votes: 82 15.0%
  • Slightly overrated

Votes: 153 27.9%
  • Rated just where he should be

Votes: 190 34.7%
  • Slightly underrated

Votes: 95 17.3%
  • Way underrated

Votes: 28 5.1%

• Total voters
According to Football Outsiders, Stafford is 9th in DYAR and 10th in DVOA, and Detroit is the 8th best passing offense. Sounds like business as usual. It's been partly obscured by the lack of TDs, and partly obscured by the tough schedule they've faced so far (4th toughest schedule of defenses to date). Still, it's not like he's playing appreciably worse than he did last year, he's just been putting up fewer points because of the lack of TDs.
In terms of mechanics he is not "appreciably worse" than last year, but he won't have anywhere near last years numbers if he continues to play the way he has been. Last year was a fluke, a future outlier. His footwork and throwing motion have been poor since he entered the leaque and he rested on his (5000+ yard, 40+ TD) laurels instead of correcting those deficiencies. He probably is throwing sidearmed more often this season, though I'm not sure if that qualifies as "appreciably worse".Plus his coaching staff is mediocre. Poor work ethic and bad coaching is not a recipe for success.
Agreed. People got blinded by his numbers. He was never as good as his raw stats last year. Still, he is who we thought he was- a low-end top-10 NFL QB.
That said, he has some serious arm talent and I love his on-field leadership. If he works hard he could be elite. Could be.

'SSOG said:
'Neofight said:
'SSOG said:
According to Football Outsiders, Stafford is 9th in DYAR and 10th in DVOA, and Detroit is the 8th best passing offense. Sounds like business as usual. It's been partly obscured by the lack of TDs, and partly obscured by the tough schedule they've faced so far (4th toughest schedule of defenses to date). Still, it's not like he's playing appreciably worse than he did last year, he's just been putting up fewer points because of the lack of TDs.
In terms of mechanics he is not "appreciably worse" than last year, but he won't have anywhere near last years numbers if he continues to play the way he has been. Last year was a fluke, a future outlier. His footwork and throwing motion have been poor since he entered the leaque and he rested on his (5000+ yard, 40+ TD) laurels instead of correcting those deficiencies. He probably is throwing sidearmed more often this season, though I'm not sure if that qualifies as "appreciably worse".Plus his coaching staff is mediocre. Poor work ethic and bad coaching is not a recipe for success.
Agreed. People got blinded by his numbers. He was never as good as his raw stats last year. Still, he is who we thought he was- a low-end top-10 NFL QB.
People are being too hard on him. Last year he had the 2nd best season by a 23 yo in history and this year he's on pace for the 3rd best by a 24 yo. The guys you have ranked ahead of him - Rodgers, Brees, Ryan, Brady, and Romo - were either on the bench or putting up QB2 numbers at 24. Eli had a top 5 season at 24 but didn't crack the top 10 again until last year.

Vs Seattle today: 34 of 49 352yds, 3TD, 1 rush TD, 1INT, and Megatron only had 3rec for 46yds (although he missed a catch for a TD he should have made).

Last edited by a moderator:
You're welcome guys. Finally benched him for Carson Palmer. Will cost me a win this week.

Hopefully indicative of good things to come.

Tennessee? Stafford looked good today, though Sherman and Browner both helped by having truly miserable games.

Stafford became the second fastest quarterback ever to reach 10,000 yards passing for his career. The 24-year-old did it in 37 games, one more than Kurt Warner.

He’s also the fourth youngest ever to accomplish the feat, behind Drew Bledsoe, Dan Marino and Peyton Manning.

Stafford became the second fastest quarterback ever to reach 10,000 yards passing for his career. The 24-year-old did it in 37 games, one more than Kurt Warner. He’s also the fourth youngest ever to accomplish the feat, behind Drew Bledsoe, Dan Marino and Peyton Manning.
Is he more Drew Bledsoe, Dan Marino or Peyton Manning? :popcorn:

Stafford became the second fastest quarterback ever to reach 10,000 yards passing for his career. The 24-year-old did it in 37 games, one more than Kurt Warner. He’s also the fourth youngest ever to accomplish the feat, behind Drew Bledsoe, Dan Marino and Peyton Manning.
I think he's closer to Marino than Bledsoe, but nowhere near Manning yet. Stafford is actually not bad - his completion and INT percentages are slightly improved from last year. The problem is that he's not getting TD's and his YPA is down.

'cstu said:
I think he's closer to Marino than Bledsoe, but nowhere near Manning yet. Stafford is actually not bad - his completion and INT percentages are slightly improved from last year. The problem is that he's not getting TD's and his YPA is down.
It might sound like a broken record, but the TD's will come. Hate to play the "what if game", but anyone who watches the Lions on a regular basis knows that days like yesterday rarely ever play out the way they did. 31 pts and no TD's for Stafford just doesn't happen. Calvin 40 yard reception down at the 1, Young horrible TD drop, and 4 rushing TD's from inside the 10. 90% of the time in a game like yesterday, Stafford ends with 4TD's. He still looked good outside of a couple high throws, and I can't recall one throw that a defender had the opportunity for an INT. The Lions have seemingly changed their play calling in the last two weeks to resemble something of last year, and that gives me hope that Stafford will regain his 2011 form.I think Stafford will end with roughly 4,800 yards and 30 TD's when all is said and done. From here on out, I see an average of around 300 yards and 2.75 TD's a game. Remember: Packers twice, Texans, Falcons, and Bears are on the schedule. Those are all games they'll need to rely on the pass game if they want to stay competitive.

The guy missing a ton of weapons at the minute. Looked pretty sharp today with some of lasers down field. Always gunna be inconsistent with his arm mechanics but still very much Top 4-10 Dynasty QBs with upside.

In a perfect storm I reckon he could go absolutely nuts one year.

Fantasy purposes= greatNFL purposes= above average at best
:goodposting: He's 23rd in QB passer rating this season in QBs with over 200 attempts - his numbers look good mainly because he has WAYYYY more than 200 attempts. He is the definition of a compiler. Because he plays with one of the most talented WRs ever to put on a helmet and on a team that has a mediocre defense and bad running game, he will consistantly be a top 10 to top 5 FF option - but is no where near that in NFL terms.

He lost a massive ammount of talent in hiw WR core this year on injury and being dumb. All he has had the last three games IS Calvin so....

:goodposting: He's 23rd in QB passer rating this season in QBs with over 200 attempts - his numbers look good mainly because he has WAYYYY more than 200 attempts. He is the definition of a compiler. Because he plays with one of the most talented WRs ever to put on a helmet and on a team that has a mediocre defense and bad running game, he will consistantly be a top 10 to top 5 FF option - but is no where near that in NFL terms.
He's dropped back to pass 726 times year (ATT+Sacks+scrambles), which would support the compiler explain. Still, he's only been sacked 28 times - which IMO is due far more to his quick release than his mediocre line.Inconsistent decision making, lazy mechanics and poor footwork hold him back. Serious cannon, not great touch. Tremendous confidence and a positive force in the locker room. Good work ethic.I wouldn't write him off and say he's X and he always will be. Very much capable of improving and taking his game to an elite level. Not there now.

Give him more than 1 good receiver an he'd put up much better numbers, And he'd not Have to throw as much. (most drops in the NFL by this team) Put that together with the fact of he is only 24 an doing what he's doing atthis point in his career it would be hard to say he can't get better then whatwe are seeing now, as most young QB's improve as they play in this league.Not many QB's at the age of Stafford in this league can and have done whathe has and can do at this point in there careers, he's got a lot of upside here.Way to early to write him off as mediocre an will be nothing more with what he has done so far, the talent and arm strength are there, just grow in the Nfl.

A running game would help him out a lot, as would having another threat opposite Calvin. And maybe a coach who disciplines players? Stafford's got a cannon, but if I'm the coach, I say "fix your footwork or you're getting benched." He throws off his back foot for no reason and that's part of the reason why I've seen him miss wide open receivers.

Today he set a NFL record for single season pass attempts. 685 attempts. 4,695 yards. 60% completion. 17 touchdowns. 16 interceptions. 4 fumbles.

6.85 ypa

79.2 qb rating

Today he set a NFL record for single season pass attempts. 685 attempts. 4,695 yards. 60% completion. 17 touchdowns. 16 interceptions. 4 fumbles. 6.85 ypa79.2 qb rating
Except for the attempts and yards it was a pedestrian season. The main thing that stands out is his TD percentage - 2.5% compared to 6.2% last year. His age is something to be optimistic about since Aaron Rodgers wasn't even starting at his age. He certainly needs to work on his mechanics during the offseason though.

Any chance the last INT today gets changed to a Calvin fumble? I didn't see a replay but looked like CJ had it pulled into his body and it popped out.

Yah that really sucked yesterday..

Way to many dropped balls again, and at most 2 of those INT's were on Stafford..

(I'd go as far as to say 1 was on him, his receivers did him no favors on those)

Here's a fun stat, courtesy of ESPN:

Stafford has only 4 wins against teams with above .500 records in his career, 2 of them were this year against the Bears and one against a Rodgers-less GB.

Imagine what this guy's overall numbers would be without Calvin Johnson.

Here's a fun stat, courtesy of ESPN:

Stafford has only 4 wins against teams with above .500 records in his career, 2 of them were this year against the Bears and one against a Rodgers-less GB.

Imagine what this guy's overall numbers would be without Calvin Johnson.
Seeing that any one of Calvin's 3 drops would have likely won them the Balt game, 5 wins vs .500 teams?

Sure, but that is an anomaly. Stafford is a turnover machine, and his numbers back that up.
There seem to be a lot of anomaly going on in Det this year. Calvin has had a very bad season for drops, 2 of which bounced off his hands and got picked. As a team Det has between 51 and 56 drops this year, depending on what site you look at. That is astronomically high and leads the NFL by about 12 or so. Even the guys to that are supposed to be the most dependable catchers for Drt are dropping a lot of balls, Bush and Calvin. It's really not fair to pin everything on Stafford. That said, Stafford has to stop with the side arm - Favre BS throws. There is a time and a place for them but he's made it part of his normal routine. It's contributed to batted balls and inaccurate throws. He has the ability and leadership qualities to be one of the best QBs in the NFL IMO and he's still just 25. Incredible that he's so young still. It's time for him to start putting it together now though because the team as a whole seems to mirror his erratic play. He/they gush will talent but seem lazy and and disciplined enough to harness it all. I'd be curious to see how he reacts to a new coach and we may get that soon.

Sure, but that is an anomaly. Stafford is a turnover machine, and his numbers back that up.
First 7 games: 4 INT

Last 7 games: 13 INT

He was actually leading the NFL in INT% in the first half so he is capable of not throwing a lot of INT's. However, he seems to channel Favre at times and throw the ball carelessly.

This record is skipping. Maybe if Schwartz is replaced we will see what this kid could do with sound mechanics; until then this thread will read the same each year.

I love him as a fantasy QB, but even with his huge upside I will likely bench him in my championship game, given the way he has played the last half of the season.

Stafford became the second fastest quarterback ever to reach 10,000 yards passing for his career. The 24-year-old did it in 37 games, one more than Kurt Warner.

Hes also the fourth youngest ever to accomplish the feat, behind Drew Bledsoe, Dan Marino and Peyton Manning.
Tony RomoI watch all the Lions games and he has talent, a strong arm and overall a good QB. However, he is prone to making big mistakes, game changing mistakes and he really hasn't fixed that problem. Tony Romo is the same way, a good player that somehow doesn't recognize when to not take a game changing risk. He is not way overrated but as far as leading Detroit to a SB, he definitely has to improve which makes him overrated to some degree.

The Lions have a lot of needs I know but they need to go the Hopkins route and get a quality compliment to Calvin.
They need a WR2 and a TE, that would help but I just don't think that is the heart of the problem. He throws bullets on short passes, he throws balls at crazy slot angles making it more difficult for his receivers. When he stands in the pocket and throws deep down field, he is at his best, one of the best arms in the game. It's the little things, some of his footwork.....he should watch some footage on Joe Montana on how to throw a screen pass.

The Lions have a lot of needs I know but they need to go the Hopkins route and get a quality compliment to Calvin.
They need a WR2 and a TE, that would help but I just don't think that is the heart of the problem. He throws bullets on short passes, he throws balls at crazy slot angles making it more difficult for his receivers. When he stands in the pocket and throws deep down field, he is at his best, one of the best arms in the game. It's the little things, some of his footwork.....he should watch some footage on Joe Montana on how to throw a screen pass.
I agree with this synopsis. So many bullets on short throws that need something taken off. Cant throw a changeup but's got a good fastball.

I agree with this synopsis. So many bullets on short throws that need something taken off. Cant throw a changeup but's got a good fastball.
I would add he seems to hang his receivers out to dry quite a bit. I don't know if its just part of Calvin's game (size?) or if Safford could be better at getting him the ball a little quicker/in better positions but Calvin really seems to take a beating every game. Even with the "defenseless receiver" rule which doesn't seem to get called for him ever.

Looks like they will fire Schwartz and co in the offseason. That will include the former janitor that is Staffords QB coach. What we are seeing here is what it looks like when a QB has a QB coach that has never been a QB coach at any level of football.

:lmao:

My God, this guy is awful.

He had 9-foot-tall Joe Fauria WIDE open over the middle on a 3rd & 11, with no pressure, and overthrew him by 10 yards.

Users who are viewing this thread