What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

QB Matt Stafford, LAR (1 Viewer)

Overrated as a real life qb (not fantasy)?

• Way overrated

Votes: 82 15.0%
  • Slightly overrated

Votes: 153 27.9%
  • Rated just where he should be

Votes: 190 34.7%
  • Slightly underrated

Votes: 95 17.3%
  • Way underrated

Votes: 28 5.1%

• Total voters
I have it on a very good source that I cannot disclose that he is out for the next two weeks while he is PTing his thumb.

It's just not logical he would try to play with a bye next week.
If he can physically grip a ball, to the point where he is considered a better QB than Rypien, there is no reason to not play him.

The Rams can't afford to be cautious. They're 3-5. GB is kind of a must win game for them.

I have it on a very good source that I cannot disclose that he is out for the next two weeks while he is PTing his thumb.

It's just not logical he would try to play with a bye next week.
If he can physically grip a ball, to the point where he is considered a better QB than Rypien, there is no reason to not play him.

The Rams can't afford to be cautious. They're 3-5. GB is kind of a must win game for them.
They can beat a bad GB team without him, the GB D is garbage.

The Athletic’s Jourdan Rodrigue said, “Sean McVay sounded optimistic” about Matthew Stafford (thumb) returning in Week 11.

also added that “nothing is definitive yet,” as McVay’s response came following a question about the team’s backup quarterback situation. McVay said the team won’t be forced to consider their backup situation because of “the direction they are headed,” hinting that Stafford is at least trending in the right direction. Stafford missed Week 9’s contest against the Packers and is now headed into a Week 10 bye. His return is largely contingent on his ability to grip a football, but if all continues to go well, we could see Stafford suit up in Week 11 against the Seahawks.

Badly sprained my ring finger wake surfing 4th of July weekend and ****'s still far from right. Finally broke down and started PT a few weeks ago, which has helped a little, but not a lot. Grip is ****ed and cannot imagine trying to throw a football with anything remotely similar in my thumb. Stafford and Fields and their associated real and fantasy teams may very well be as ****ed ROS.

Jim Miller said he braced himself being sacked and all the progress he made by resting his thumb was ruined 'like that."
That makes so much sense and concerns me w Stafford.

Last edited:
Badly sprained my ring finger wake surfing 4th of July weekend and ****'s still far from right. Finally broke down and started PT a few weeks ago, which has helped a little, but not a lot. Grip is ****ed and cannot imagine trying to throw a football with anything remotely similar in my thumb. Stafford and Fields and their associated real and fantasy teams may very well be as ****ed ROS.
I sprained my thumb on my primary hand back in August, and I still have some pain in it and can't bend it all the way down. I saw my shoulder surgeon about a month after injuring it, and I showed him my thumb. He said the injury is called skier's thumb, and it should heal in 6 to 8 weeks if I "don't poke the bear." If I do poke it, I might should wear a thumb splint to keep from reaggravating it. I've tried the thumb splint, but it gets in the way of things I need to do with my hand during the day, and I've reaggravated it several times. I'm trying again to get used to wearing it in the day. I hope it heals naturally.

Jim Miller said he braced himself being sacked and all the progress he made by resting it was ruined 'like that."
What does this mean?
I used the word it....changed to thumb. Sorry bout that.
I'm not starting Stafford and getting partial scoring if he can just fall down and reinjure it.

Jim Miller said he braced himself being sacked and all the progress he made by resting it was ruined 'like that."
What does this mean?
I used the word it....changed to thumb. Sorry bout that.
I'm not starting Stafford and getting partial scoring if he can just fall down and reinjure it.
I read it that he'd re-injured it

Carry on

I sprained my thumb on my primary hand back in August, and I still have some pain in it and can't bend it all the way down. I saw my shoulder surgeon about a month after injuring it, and I showed him my thumb. He said the injury is called skier's thumb, and it should heal in 6 to 8 weeks if I "don't poke the bear." If I do poke it, I might should wear a thumb splint to keep from reaggravating it. I've tried the thumb splint, but it gets in the way of things I need to do with my hand during the day, and I've reaggravated it several times. I'm trying again to get used to wearing it in the day. I hope it heals naturally.
I like the injury stories being shared to maybe gain insight but Stafford is a pro athlete with access to medical professionals and trainers daily, if needed.

I like the injury stories being shared to maybe gain insight but Stafford is a pro athlete with access to medical professionals and trainers daily, if needed.
I wasn't comparing my thumb sprain to a professional athlete's injury. I was just having an exchange with LawFitz about spraining my thumb and it still hurting like his finger does. I am just as tough as Matthew Stafford, though. I sprained my thumb when a cat got under my feet and tripped me while I was carrying a plate of Thai food. I hit the ground, but I was able to save most of that plate of food. Only a little bit slid out. 💪

I wasn't comparing my thumb sprain to a professional athlete's injury. I was just having an exchange with LawFitz about spraining my thumb and it still hurting like his finger does. I am just as tough as Matthew Stafford, though. I sprained my thumb when a cat got under my feet and tripped me while I was carrying a plate of Thai food. I hit the ground, but I was able to save most of that plate of food. Only a little bit slid out. 💪
Important question: did that cat scarf up the spilled Thai food?

That’s a win for the cat though

No. The cat doesn't eat medium spice or tofu, plus the commotion and the tone of my voice when it happened sent the cat into hiding.

No. The cat doesn't eat medium spice or tofu, plus the commotion and the tone of my voice when it happened sent the cat into hiding.
My lord...when you start at the bottom of the thread and read up...

So that's where you've been!

Sorry about the thumb. Good to see you.

LOL. Did the cat hip drop tackle you?

LOL. Did the cat hip drop tackle you?
He cut blocked me. :<_<:

According to Football Outsiders, Stafford is 9th in DYAR and 10th in DVOA, and Detroit is the 8th best passing offense. Sounds like business as usual. It's been partly obscured by the lack of TDs, and partly obscured by the tough schedule they've faced so far (4th toughest schedule of defenses to date). Still, it's not like he's playing appreciably worse than he did last year, he's just been putting up fewer points because of the lack of TDs.
In terms of mechanics he is not "appreciably worse" than last year, but he won't have anywhere near last years numbers if he continues to play the way he has been. Last year was a fluke, a future outlier. His footwork and throwing motion have been poor since he entered the leaque and he rested on his (5000+ yard, 40+ TD) laurels instead of correcting those deficiencies. He probably is throwing sidearmed more often this season, though I'm not sure if that qualifies as "appreciably worse".Plus his coaching staff is mediocre. Poor work ethic and bad coaching is not a recipe for success.
Agreed. People got blinded by his numbers. He was never as good as his raw stats last year. Still, he is who we thought he was- a low-end top-10 NFL QB.
Maybe so, but I fear him this week in the playoffs

According to Football Outsiders, Stafford is 9th in DYAR and 10th in DVOA, and Detroit is the 8th best passing offense. Sounds like business as usual. It's been partly obscured by the lack of TDs, and partly obscured by the tough schedule they've faced so far (4th toughest schedule of defenses to date). Still, it's not like he's playing appreciably worse than he did last year, he's just been putting up fewer points because of the lack of TDs.
In terms of mechanics he is not "appreciably worse" than last year, but he won't have anywhere near last years numbers if he continues to play the way he has been. Last year was a fluke, a future outlier. His footwork and throwing motion have been poor since he entered the leaque and he rested on his (5000+ yard, 40+ TD) laurels instead of correcting those deficiencies. He probably is throwing sidearmed more often this season, though I'm not sure if that qualifies as "appreciably worse".Plus his coaching staff is mediocre. Poor work ethic and bad coaching is not a recipe for success.
Agreed. People got blinded by his numbers. He was never as good as his raw stats last year. Still, he is who we thought he was- a low-end top-10 NFL QB.

Why?

Why?
Great matchup?

Why?
Great matchup?

Oh okay gotcha!

Disappointed in the fantasy like but he looks much better these days!
Finished as a QB9 with only the Eagles game left this week, so a lock to be a QB1 for week 15 :shrug: And I don't think many people who owned Stafford would have benched him in favor of at least 4 of the guys currently ahead of him in scoring; Carr, Mayfield, Minschew, or AOC.

Adam Schefter
In 2012, Calvin Johnson set the NFL single season record with 1,964 receiving yards. His QB was Matthew Stafford.

In 2021, Cooper Kupp had the second most receiving yards in a single season in NFL history with 1,947. His QB was - and still is - Matthew Stafford.

Puka Nacua now needs just 147 yards in his final two games to set the record for most receiving yards by a rookie in NFL history. His QB is Matthew Stafford.

Adam Schefter
In 2012, Calvin Johnson set the NFL single season record with 1,964 receiving yards. His QB was Matthew Stafford.

In 2021, Cooper Kupp had the second most receiving yards in a single season in NFL history with 1,947. His QB was - and still is - Matthew Stafford.

Puka Nacua now needs just 147 yards in his final two games to set the record for most receiving yards by a rookie in NFL history. His QB is Matthew Stafford.
So he can’t make it through his progressions. Got it. Hard pass. 🤣

Stafford is one of the toughest QBs - played through a bad hand and got crunched a few times, just had a great game. He's had years with more production but he did a good job all year taking care of the football and they have a good young team. Hope he and AD stick around, the league is better having those two in it.

Users who are viewing this thread