What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

QB Matt Stafford, LAR (2 Viewers)

Overrated as a real life qb (not fantasy)?

• Way overrated

Votes: 82 15.0%
  • Slightly overrated

Votes: 153 27.9%
  • Rated just where he should be

Votes: 190 34.7%
  • Slightly underrated

Votes: 95 17.3%
  • Way underrated

Votes: 28 5.1%

• Total voters

Matthew Stafford completed 26-of-33 passes for 253 yards, one touchdown and an interception in the Rams' 24-10, Week 6 win over the Panthers.

Stafford took only one sack despite his ramshackle offensive line losing left tackle Joe Noteboom early to an ankle injury. He still managed to throw a first half pick six after forcing a pass to a blanketed Cooper Kupp and getting the ball batted up into the air. That was bad. Better was Stafford finally striking up a connection with Allen Robinson, finding him five times for 63 yards and a score. This was as he continued to feed Kupp. Stafford and his line now have a badly-needed bye week to heal up ahead of a Week 8 date with the 49ers. Continuing to display zero upside with his thin supporting cast behind his shaky line, Stafford will remain outside the top 12 for that one.

- NBCSportsEDGE

Matthew Stafford completed just 12-of-26 passes for 158 yards and one touchdown in the Rams' 16-13, Week 9 loss to the Bucs.

The Rams entered the fourth quarter up 13-6 and had the win in the bag after a late fourth-down stop of the Bucs in the red zone with 1:44 left, but Los Angeles dialed up three predictable runs that went nowhere and kicked it back to Tampa Bay. Tom Brady marched right down the field versus a defense he couldn't move the ball against all day and tossed a game-winning one-yard score to Cade Otton. As for Stafford, it was another low point in a season chock full of them. It was his second straight sub-200 yards passing game, and he was sacked another four times. He looks completely defeated behind a completely incapable offensive line. Cooper Kupp is all he has to throw to, and Kupp managed 8/127/1 on nine targets, accounting for 80.4% of Stafford's yards. This loss might be the nail in the coffin for the Rams. It's hard to overcome a truly awful ending like that. Stafford can't be played in fantasy right now. He gets the Cardinals at home in Week 10.

- NBCSportsEDGE

Rams coach Sean McVay said that Matthew Stafford (concussion) is questionable for Week 10 vs. Arizona.​

Stafford "could go all the way up to 90 minutes before kickoff," per McVay. He practiced in a limited fashion today and is progressing through protocol, but has yet to be cleared. Stafford probably hasn't been good enough to wait on if you have similar options at quarterback this week, and he was held to 249 scoreless passing yards when he played Arizona earlier this season. He'll be a QB2 if cleared.
SOURCE: Adam Schefter on Twitter
Nov 11, 2022, 2:34 PM ET

Any precedent for a player being put in concussion protocol mid week and then cleared to play Sunday?

Last edited:
Any precedent for a player being out in concussion protocol mid week and then cleared to play Sunday?
Yes. It’s happened several times with some of my players. Cleared is cleared - Saturday clearance = Sunday playing.

I’m not sure about concussion as a GTD though. They have have to clear Saturday. Maybe someone else can clear that part up.

Last edited:

ESPN's Adam Schefter reports the Rams are preparing as if No. 2 QB John Wolford will start Sunday's game against the Cardinals over Matthew Stafford (concussion, questionable).​

Schefter reports it is not a foregone conclusion Stafford will sit, however. "The Rams' goal is to give Stafford as much time as possible to complete the necessary steps to clear the protocol sometime Sunday morning." Although Stafford won't be a recommended streamer if he manages to get cleared, his presence will mean everything for Cooper Kupp, who will become a lower-end WR1 if the Rams are forced to go with Wolford. Although Rams/Cardinals does not kick off until 4:25 PM ET, the national media figures to give us a good idea of Stafford's status before lineups lock at 1PM ET.
RELATED:
SOURCE: ESPN
Nov 12, 2022, 10:22 PM ET

Matthew Stafford (concussion) practiced on Wednesday.​

Players in concussion protocol are allowed to practice. Stafford getting on the field Wednesday doesn't mean he's cleared protocol yet, but it's a step in the right direction as he and the Rams prepare to take on the 11. Even if he's active, Stafford will enter Sunday's game with an underwhelming cast of supporting characters. In addition to Cooper Kupp (ankle) being placed on injured reserve, the Rams' backfield is in shambles, and Allen Robinson has been little more than a role player. If he's able to play, Stafford will be hard to trust as anything more than a mid-QB2, and even that may be too optimistic.
Nov 16, 2022, 5:22 PM ET

NFL Network's Ian Rapoport reports Matthew Stafford (concussion) is expected to be cleared and start Week 11 against the Saints.​

Stafford practiced on Wednesday and has been trending in the right direction. The much bigger problem than his health is the loss of Cooper Kupp (ankle) to injured reserve. Barely providing QB2 returns even with his All-Pro in the lineup, Stafford will arguably belong on superflex benches without him. Tyler Higbee and Allen Robinson have the highest target floors in Kupp's absence, though Ben Skowronek will undoubtedly see increased looks, too. Role player Van Jefferson's outlook is unchanged.
SOURCE: Ian Rapoport on Twitter
Nov 17, 2022, 1:38 PM ET

NFL Network's Ian Rapoport reports Matthew Stafford (concussion) is expected to be cleared and start Week 11 against the Saints.​

Stafford practiced on Wednesday and has been trending in the right direction. The much bigger problem than his health is the loss of Cooper Kupp (ankle) to injured reserve. Barely providing QB2 returns even with his All-Pro in the lineup, Stafford will arguably belong on superflex benches without him. Tyler Higbee and Allen Robinson have the highest target floors in Kupp's absence, though Ben Skowronek will undoubtedly see increased looks, too. Role player Van Jefferson's outlook is unchanged.
I am considering starting Skowronek in the flex this week. Stafford might pretend he is Kupp and give him 13-15 targets. Similar size and Stafford coming off a concussion. Could happen

I am considering starting Skowronek in the flex this week. Stafford might pretend he is Kupp and give him 13-15 targets. Similar size and Stafford coming off a concussion. Could happen
Especially since the Rams don't have the horses to pound it out on the ground.

Matthew Stafford (concussion evaluation) left Week 11's game against the Saints.​

He was sacked and took a helmet-to-helmet hit on the back of his head, talked to trainers, went in the medical tent, and came back without a helmet before walking off the field. It certainly looked like a concussion. Stafford had completed 11-of-18 passes for 159 yards and two touchdowns before leaving, including a long bomb to Tutu Atwell. His status will probably be updated again after this game, but it would not be surprising if he missed Week 12 with back-to-back concussions in such a short timespan. With John Wolford inactive, Bryce Perkins has replaced Stafford.
Nov 20, 2022, 3:02 PM ET

Rams coach Sean McVay said the team is still evaluating Matthew Stafford for a concussion.​

When asked about what the Rams are still waiting on, McVay said, "If he actually needs to be in the protocol because he has a concussion, and then the necessary information from the doctors that I would get after that." Stafford exited Sunday's game against the Saints to be evaluated for a concussion and didn't return. However, the team has yet to confirm or deny whether or not Stafford actually suffered a concussion. McVay acknowledged on Sunday that the team needs to "make a smart decision" with Stafford after the veteran quarterback was just returning from a concussion that kept him sidelined in Week 10. Sitting at 3-7, with their season in disarray, there's little reason for the Rams to rush Stafford back in Week 12 -- if at all. It wouldn't be surprising to see John Wolford or Bryce Perkins start next week against the Chiefs.
Nov 21, 2022, 6:07 PM ET

Rams QB Matthew Stafford has re-entered the league's five-step concussion protocol.​

Stafford missed the team's Week 10 game against the Cardinals with a concussion, cleared the protocol in time for Week 11 against the Saints, and left the game to be evaluated for a head injury. Entering the concussion protocol twice in a three week span is not ideal for the veteran quarterback, making it likely he will miss extended time.
Nov 21, 2022, 8:52 PM ET

Matthew Stafford (neck) will not play in Week 12 against the Chiefs.​

The Rams have said Stafford is dealing with a strained neck, but he is also in concussion protocol. He underwent testing on his neck and spine after going down in Week 11. That was Stafford's first game back from a one-week absence due to a concussion. With the Rams' fate for this season all but decided, it wouldn't be surprising to see LA shut down their quarterback if he isn't able to return rather quickly. Bryce Perkins is expected to start versus the Chiefs. His rushing upside will put him on the radar as a QB2 streaming option.
RELATED:
SOURCE: Adam Schefter on Twitter
Nov 23, 2022, 5:46 PM ET

Wonder if he retires. Kelly has been very vocal about his concussions
don't think he retires, but he's done as we know him as a qb. He got his ring and that's what matters, and happy for him for that. But he's not going to be making another deep playoff run ever again.

Rams coach Sean McVay said it is "safe to say" Matthew Stafford won't play in Week 13 against the Seahawks.​

John Wolford was active as Bryce Perkins' backup in Week 12, Perkins struggled in a non-competitive loss to Kansas City. Wolford didn't get to practice with the first team because of a neck issue last week but could be elevated to the starting role versus Seattle. McVay declined to name a starter on Wednesday, so we will need to wait, possibly until Sunday, to see who starts in Week 13.
SOURCE: Jourdan Rodrigue on Twitter
Nov 30, 2022, 2:58 PM ET

Wonder if he retires. Kelly has been very vocal about his concussions
Got his ring, hundreds of millions of dollars, hot wife, 4 young daughters to raise - plenty to do if he walks away.
Sure true for a lot of these guys, this injury really doesn't sound that serious of course don't know for sure, wouldn't be surprised to see him shut down this year but doubt he retires.
Yeah, still 8 digits of money out there to come back for at least one year. But at as far as this year goes shut him down, it's a lost cause at this point.

Sean McVay said that Matthew Stafford (neck) has been ruled out for Week 13 against the Seahawks.​

This is despite clearing the concussion protocol. The Rams have little to play for and it has not exactly been much of a secret that they've contemplating shutting Stafford and the rest of their stars down for the season. Seattle's D/ST is a fine streaming option this week against whoever the Rams put at quarterback.
Dec 2, 2022, 2:15 PM ET

Someone was speculating if he shouldn't just retire. Got his ring. Made a lot of money. Took a heck of a beating over 12 years. Not out of the realm.

Someone was speculating if he shouldn't just retire. Got his ring. Made a lot of money. Took a heck of a beating over 12 years. Not out of the realm.
It’s not out of the realm that ALL of Mcvay Aaron Donald and Stafford are out and the rams are basically so ****ed for a rebuild. Sean Payton saw the writing on the wall too

I wouldn't be surprised at all if he retires. In fact, I might be more surprised if he doesn't given this year's injuries.
Especially neck. I'm sure his wife will have a big say in that.
Both of them need functional necks to keep that marriage happy…if the four kids Weren’t a tell tale sign. Hubba hubba

Rams coach Sean McVay said Matthew Stafford (neck) has a spinal cord contusion and the indication is that it is "season-ending."​

Stafford was technically eligible to come back for Week 17, but this sounds serious enough that the Rams will not risk playing him in what would assuredly be two meaningless games. Stafford has a reasonable $20 million cap hit in 2023 and the Rams can't move on from him in any real way even if they wanted to, so even with a scary injury on the 34-year-old's medical record he's likely to be Los Angeles' No. 1 quarterback next season. As long as it's not "retirement" serious. Stafford finishes the year with 2,087 passing yards, 10 touchdowns, eight picks, and a 68.0 completion percentage.
Dec 4, 2022, 7:46 PM ET

(RotoWire) Coach Sean McVay said Monday that Stafford's neck injury isn't a long-term issue, and the quarterback is expected to have a "healthy offseason," Jourdan Rodrigue of The Athletic reports. Analysis: This essentially confirms Stafford is done for the year, which was expected after he was placed on IR ahead of Sunday's loss to Seattle due to a spinal cord contusion. However, this appears to be a promising update for the future, as a healthy offseason should allow Stafford to work out some of the kinks that led to a disappointing 2022 campaign.

Rams coach Sean McVay said Matthew Stafford (neck) doesn't need surgery and is expected to be ready for the start of the offseason program.​

The Rams shut down Stafford, who was eligible to return in Week 17, but McVay expects him to make a full recovery this offseason through rest and rehab. Signed to a four-year, $160 million contract in March, Stafford will return at a $20 million cap hit in 2023. The Rams will close out the final four games with Baker Mayfield as their starter.
SOURCE: The Athletic
Dec 10, 2022, 10:15 AM ET

Rams coach Sean McVay said Matthew Stafford (neck) doesn't need surgery and is expected to be ready for the start of the offseason program.​

The Rams shut down Stafford, who was eligible to return in Week 17, but McVay expects him to make a full recovery this offseason through rest and rehab. Signed to a four-year, $160 million contract in March, Stafford will return at a $20 million cap hit in 2023. The Rams will close out the final four games with Baker Mayfield as their starter.
SOURCE: The Athletic
Dec 10, 2022, 10:15 AM ET
Rams need a reboot

Rams need a reboot
It’s what happens when you go all-in for a SB.

They got the rings, but man - what a price to pay in that Faustian bargain.
Wasn’t worth it but it’s the LA way. Flashy but a house of cards
In one of the preseason topics I mentioned that the Rams stayed remarkably healthy for an older team.

This year was really all about that.

I’m not gonna toot my own horn too much there. :drive: So many key players were either advancing in years, or had injuries throughout their careers. My surprise isn’t that they all got hurt this year, it’s that they didn’t last year.

Rams will be fine next year with
Rams need a reboot

Except they won the Super Bowl which only one of 32 teams wins each year. Every fan base would take that deal in a heartbeat. And they should be back to being competitive next year with a healthy roster. They don't have great draft capital but can make some other moves to shore up the OL and some other areas. Will also have a last place schedule.

Rams need a reboot

As a Lions fan, I would make that deal every day of the week and twice on Sundays, one playoff win in my lifetime....
As it turns out, the deal they made was much, much better.

Didn’t come with a ring, yet. But that Rams pick is gonna be very helpful towards their long term success.

Rams need a reboot

Except they won the Super Bowl which only one of 32 teams wins each year. Every fan base would take that deal in a heartbeat. And they should be back to being competitive next year with a healthy roster. They don't have great draft capital but can make some other moves to shore up the OL and some other areas. Will also have a last place schedule.
Your phrasing confuses me. I fully acknowledged that they won the Super Bowl in the post you quoted. What are you “except”-ing here?

I disagree that they’ll be “fine” - they’re hosed for years. Mayfield may end up their QB next year. We don’t know what we don’t know. Right now they’re a team full of holes and aging players, with limited draft capital.

It is what it is. And yes, as I said, they got the rings. Glad you agree.

Rams need a reboot

Your phrasing confuses me. I fully acknowledged that they won the Super Bowl in the post you quoted. What are you “except”-ing here?

I disagree that they’ll be “fine” - they’re hosed for years. Mayfield may end up their QB next year. We don’t know what we don’t know. Right now they’re a team full of holes and aging players, with limited draft capital.

I don't think they paid a big price or that it was a Faustian bargain which implies that the Super Bowl trade-off was a terrible deal. My argument is that it's a great deal that all fan bases would gladly accept.

Every indication is Stafford will be back. Sure there's a slim chance he isn't but there is no indication of that other than wild speculation. Kupp and some others will be back and healthy. I think they'll have a competitive team but we'll just have to see.

Rams need a reboot

I don't think they paid a big price or that it was a Faustian bargain which implies that the Super Bowl trade-off was a terrible deal. My argument is that it's a great deal that all fan bases would gladly accept.

Every indication is Stafford will be back. Sure there's a slim chance he isn't but there is no indication of that other than wild speculation. Kupp and some others will be back and healthy. I think they'll have a competitive team but we'll just have to see.
There’s also a chance that he comes back, takes another hit to the head/neck and ends his career.

Spinal injuries are difficult that way.

I see the Rams as having an uphill battle next year and beyond, with an aging roster and bad team in a shiny new stadium in a brutal division.

We’ll see what happens I guess. For now they’re a mess.

Rams need a reboot

You are right in that the Rams paid a high price, but Mitch is right in that the price was worth it.
Of 32 teams only 1 wins it all so the 'price paid' equates to a one-to-one ratio of time required by every team to win a Super Bowl IF it was equal or fair where every team would win a SB at least once over a 32-year period but that isn't the case.
Some teams win much more than the norm and others win 'less' or never win a SB over a 32 year period.
Even if it takes the Rams an entire decade or even two full decades to recover, they are ahead of the pack because they have the ring and would still be a dozen years ahead of teams who never win a SB over the same time.
Fans don't realize how long they'll have to wait if their team EVER wins a SB. Really stupid to root for expansion because it will push out the time period even longer. Expansion only suits greedy owners who reap more profits.
Some don't grasp basic math of how F'ng long they will have to wait until their team wins a SB. Many just 'assume' that if they wait long enough, they'll win a SB when in fact they will die before or if their team ever wins a SB.
The Rams sold out to win a SB.
The price was and is worth it.

Stafford was drafted #1 before the cap slotting so he got a huge deal, then extended for another huge deal, then give huge bonus and extension from the Rams. At one time a couple years ago I read he had made at that point more than any NFL player ever. So would not be surprised he if packed it in and called it a career if the injuries are piling up.

Users who are viewing this thread