What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

QB Patrick Mahomes II, KC (2 Viewers)

I came in here to ask what’s the deal with Patrick not being Mahomesy and Kansas City not being Chiefs.

Reading through the last couple pages I see everyone else is a# mystified as me.  
There is no particular reasons and it's not really explainable. They don't consistently run the ball to set up the pass, play action might not even be that effective, their receivers are dropping passes left and right that are on crucial downs that would move the chains. But the real problem here is perhaps they don't need to pass the ball on every 3rd down known to man. Sometimes it's fine to run a draw or qb sneak / bootleg on 3rd and 2. 

I don't think they take easy throws to make 2nd and 3rd downs manageable. I haven't seen any great long drives that consist of 8,10,12,14 plays that run the clock and wear down the defense and score, basically defeating any defense as long as you continue to do it.

They just want to be a boom/bust team and not get back to the fundamentals. Maybe CEH is truly garbage, or maybe they can seriously use him as a receiver in the backfield like Ekeler and he could actually be valuable. Maybe they should shift Darrell Williams to the slot and get him on the field a lot more, because he's proving to be a much better receiver than people give him credit for.

Credit Byron Pringle for catching a ball after a horrible drop.

There's just no excuse for Kelce or Hill to keep dropping balls. I don't know if this team's head is in the game. I don't know what's going on in the locker room but this team seems just so unfocused, undisciplined, and lacking energy and fire. 

I don't know how their defense is doing it, but the offense should take a long look at the defense and play with the same intensity as they are. Their defense is absolutely saving their skin.

There's like no reason the half a billion dollar QB can't have a ton of say on play-calling / scheme, and be able to adjust his style to make easy throws and have his players dominate off of YAC. 

Has Kelce lost a stop or three? Is Hill a one-trick pony? It's just bizarre. They have no "Alpha" on the outside as Hill is still proving to be a somewhat gimmicky player. Why not move Kelce to the outside? He has all the athleticism to beat 1x1 smaller dudes, but IDK man

I'm just sick of looking at Kelce / Mahomes stack in my lineup, it just lets me down every ####### time I start them. They had that great week vs. the Raiders and that felt so relieving, and now it's back to the same old garbage. And this is AFTER the bye week. 

Weirdest rants on the heels of a 5 game win streak ever?

NFL fans and even Chiefs fans know they are in serious trouble if their offense continues to play like horse####. IDK how their defense transformed, but it helps to play Daniel Jones, the Cowboys without some weapons (the Cowboys are seriously overrated and so is Dak, the Raiders who can't defend anyone, Jordan Love, and then Teddy Bridgewater. Really...

It started to Unravel against the Bills, then really unraveled against the Titans. They've had a ton of time to figure this out but it could be until next season that they get a better plan together. Just not enough time during the season to make so many tweaks, but Mahomes is too good and too high-paid to be playing like this. 

As a fantasy fan, I gave up a lot of capital to acquire Mahomes and Kelce for their week winning prowesses and boom weeks, but so far it's just been a pile of ####. No wonder the prior manager made them available on the market. I bought the history of performance and "elite"-ness, not the current or perceived value of what is to come. I for sure thought it was a buy low, and rough days would be a head, but not for this long. This is ridiculous. 

Last edited by a moderator:
The regression of Mahomes and the entire KC offense is one of the greatest mysteries of the 2021 FF season to me....and I'm not being hyperbolic.

Back-to-back SB appearances, supposedly improved o-line, healthy skill players, arguably the top WR and TE in the NFL, a QB that can scramble, CEH and D. Williams more than adequate for a run/backfield threat.

It's almost like Mahomes has been broken mentally. This was a guy that was already being talked about as one of the greatest of all time. Is it possible that last years resounding SB defeat (31-9) at the hands of old-man-Brady have a Vanderjadt effect on him? 

Defenses playing 2 deep? Kill them underneath with those TE/RB weapons. Defenses playing up? Kill them over-the-top with 2 of the fastest WR's in the league.

What's going on here? It's truly bizarre to watch.

Well, the "he is already one of the greatest of all time" talk that the media stirred up was obviously way too premature, but it looks like his fundamentals are the problem.  He got away with it so far in the NFL because he was so good at making plays, but the beating his confidence seemingly took after the Super Bowl seems to have affected him as well.  It is out there that multiple scouts expressed concern about him coming out of college that he was not a consistent player from play to play as far as fundamentals go.  He seems to be a guy who thinks he can always get by on natural talent and doesn't have to focus on all of the little things, but he is getting a rude awakening.  He can still have great games, as we saw against the Raiders a few weeks back, but getting back to being a consistently great player on a week to week basis will take some soul searching on his part and him needing to alter his work and preparation habits a bit.  And I think he can do it.  He seems like a smart, sensible guy. 

Patrick Mahomes completed 31-of-47 passes for 410 yards, three touchdowns and an interception in the Chiefs' 34-28, Week 15 overtime win over the Chargers, adding three carries for 32 additional yards. 

The seventh 400-yard game of Mahomes' career was his second of the season, with this one representing his new 2021 high-water mark. Mahomes relied on his old faithfuls of Tyreek Hill and Travis Kelce, finding his top-two weapons for an otherworldly 22/339/3. That included some jaw-dropping after-the-catch work from Kelce and hard-to-believe grabs from Hill. They bailed out their quarterback on a night where he made some seriously shaky throws, none shakier than his interception to LB Uchenna Nwosu inside his own 10-yard line in the fourth quarter. Mahomes also turf missiled a walk-in touchdown to Mecole Hardman on a third quarter fourth down from the Chargers' two. That is to say nothing of the open pass catchers Mahomes was missing all night. It was after those second half mistakes, however, that Mahomes seemed to find himself, making huge plays with his legs and stick 'em throws with his arm. He now heads into a fantasy semifinals matchup with a collapsing Steelers defense, though Pittsburgh's struggles are particularly acute on the ground. 

Dec 16, 2021, 11:47 PM ET

One of the least impressive 400 yard games I can remember watching. Mahomes through my eyes looked shaken, unsure, and did not play with confidence. Maybe I am seeing things but he doesn’t have the aura about him as in years past. This offense seems so out of sync yet the final numbers show differently. They need another Kareem Hunt in the backfield, unfortunately they chose the wrong back in the CEH draft.

One of the least impressive 400 yard games I can remember watching. Mahomes through my eyes looked shaken, unsure, and did not play with confidence. Maybe I am seeing things but he doesn’t have the aura about him as in years past. This offense seems so out of sync yet the final numbers show differently. They need another Kareem Hunt in the backfield, unfortunately they chose the wrong back in the CEH draft.
Agreed. You can't argue with the results, but Mahomes just doesn't look like the same QB as he did from 2018-2020.  I have heard chatter about how bad his mechanics are, and that was on full display last night.  Once they fell behind 21-13, it seemed like most of the big plays he made were schoolyard plays, like breaking the pocket and running for 20+ or being pushed out of the pocket to his right and finding a wide open receiver.  Those are just instinct plays, and his talent is obviously off the charts which is why he can make those plays, similar to the ones Russell Wilson made so much earlier in his career, but keep him in the pocket and he just looks like a shell of himself.  Fortunately for him, he was able to make some huge plays last night out of the pocket, and it sure helps to have the best TE in football and one of the top three WRs.  Not saying he is a product of their greatness (for the fans, settle down), simply that having great players at the skill positions can mask problems more often than not. 

Agreed. You can't argue with the results, but Mahomes just doesn't look like the same QB as he did from 2018-2020.  I have heard chatter about how bad his mechanics are, and that was on full display last night.  Once they fell behind 21-13, it seemed like most of the big plays he made were schoolyard plays, like breaking the pocket and running for 20+ or being pushed out of the pocket to his right and finding a wide open receiver.  Those are just instinct plays, and his talent is obviously off the charts which is why he can make those plays, similar to the ones Russell Wilson made so much earlier in his career, but keep him in the pocket and he just looks like a shell of himself.  Fortunately for him, he was able to make some huge plays last night out of the pocket, and it sure helps to have the best TE in football and one of the top three WRs.  Not saying he is a product of their greatness (for the fans, settle down), simply that having great players at the skill positions can mask problems more often than not. 
Thanks for the feedback, I was wondering if it was me making things up. Honestly he did not look like could even operate in the pocket and provide rhythm to the offense. Like you mentioned most of his production seems to come from the schoolyard mentality and broken route type plays. He has taken some big hits over the years, I wonder if the pass rush is getting in his head a bit.

Patrick Mahomes completed 33-of-44 passes for 378 yards and three touchdowns, and ran seven times for 69 yards and a touchdown in the Chiefs' 42-36, Divisional Round overtime win over the Bills.

Late in the fourth quarter, Mahomes had 190 passing yards and one touchdown, but then pure pandemonium set in, with the Bills and Chiefs combining for 25 points over the final 1:54 of regulation. Mahomes tossed a 64-yard touchdown to Tyreek Hill with 1:02 left to put the Chief up 33-29. The Bills then scored with 13 seconds left. Mahomes hit Hill and Travis Kelce with big gains to put Harrison Butker in range for a game-tying 49-yard field goal. Mahomes then marched the Chiefs right down the field on the opening possession of overtime, hitting Kelce for a game-winning eight-yard touchdown. Mahomes' other passing score was a two-yarder to Byron Pringle early. Mahomes all but earned his $500 million contract with this one performance to push the Chiefs to the AFC Championship game against the Bengals next week. Mahomes went for 259 yards and two scores against Cincinnati in Week 17.

- NBCSportsEDGE

Patrick Mahomes completed 26-of-39 passes for 275 yards, three touchdowns and two interceptions in the Chiefs' 27-24, AFC Championship Game overtime loss to the Bengals. 

This one is going to hurt for a long, long time. Up 21-3 with five minutes remaining in the second quarter, the Chiefs were cruising to their third straight AFC championship before the Bengals finally notched a touchdown with 1:05 left in the half. Anyone who watched the Divisional Round knows that was plenty of time for another score, and the Chiefs got all the way to the Bengals' one before awful clock management resulted in zero points. The offense then went into a second half coma as the Bengals came all the way back, capitalizing on a pair of Mahomes interceptions in the process. The quarterback simply was not good after the break, including overtime. Despite this awful ending, Mahomes remained the most valuable player in the league this season despite an uncharacteristic mid-season lull. Mahomes’ Divisional Round duel with Josh Allen will be one of the games mentioned in his football epitaph. A canny runner, savvy situational football player and, of course, the biggest-armed quarterback in the league, the 26-year-old will remain the league’s biggest difference maker in 2023.

- NBCSportsEDGE

Great QB, and I would kill for the Broncos to have a QB even close to as good as him again, but can people shut up about him being the future GOAT?  All of his numbers and stats and wins and whatnot in 4 years and he has 1 ring to show for it.     

Great QB, and I would kill for the Broncos to have a QB even close to as good as him again, but can people shut up about him being the future GOAT?  All of his numbers and stats and wins and whatnot in 4 years and he has 1 ring to show for it.     
With the fastest WR and top TE in the league 

Talk about wilting in the 2nd half.  

But I do find it odd that he is getting roasted for choking while Brady is hailed despite ####### the bed for a half last week.  Basically they played the same game.  

Talk about wilting in the 2nd half.  

But I do find it odd that he is getting roasted for choking while Brady is hailed despite ####### the bed for a half last week.  Basically they played the same game.  
Brady was bad most of the game last week, and made a few plays near the end. 

Mahomes was awesome early today, not good in the second half.

That is the same game? 

Brady was bad most of the game last week, and made a few plays near the end. 

Mahomes was awesome early today, not good in the second half.

That is the same game? 
:shrug:  I meant it from the standpoint they both scored 3 points in a half.  Honestly Mahomes played way better than Brady, IMO.  I just found the chatter online about how big a choker Mahomes is a little odd after what we witnessed last week with Brady.  

:shrug:  I meant it from the standpoint they both scored 3 points in a half.  Honestly Mahomes played way better than Brady, IMO.  I just found the chatter online about how big a choker Mahomes is a little odd after what we witnessed last week with Brady.  
Despite the media's pre-mature anointing of Mahomes, he is trailing Brady by a massive margin when it comes to equity and benefit of the doubt.  Brady's rep is set in stone no matter what he does ever again.  Mahomes' is not. 

Wtf happened? How is it possible this team blows this game to the bengals in the same fashion? It’s not hard to protect a lead when you have all of these weapons and the running game quickly. Wtf was he or the team doing the final drive in the 4th? It’s like everyone in the stadium assumed they would score or when the crowd went nuts for the coin toss. I can’t stand it when better teams lose, even though the bengals are good. The rams don’t appear to be a great matchup for them but they keep getting it done 

donovan mcnabb v2.0 I think that's fair.

terrible coaching from Reid once again. great supporting cast and yet Mahomes tends to disappear in big games, like last year's super bowl and yesterdays game v. Cincy. he's a good QB , but nowhere near the talent of Russell Wilson or Big Ben at the early stages of his career. Ben was lethal, Mahomes is error-prone. If I had to guess he'll be on the outside of the HOF, looking in. they've lost 2 of the last 4 championship games correct? and lost one of the past 2 SBs? damn it's uncanny how they resemble the Eagles under Reid. didnt they go to 4 straight championship games, with only 1 SB visit back then? it's so eerily similar. and if the past is any indication, the Chiefs are about to fall like a house of cards like the Eagles did after their great run. 

terrible coaching from Reid once again. great supporting cast and yet Mahomes tends to disappear in big games, like last year's super bowl and yesterdays game v. Cincy. he's a good QB , but nowhere near the talent of Russell Wilson or Big Ben at the early stages of his career. Ben was lethal, Mahomes is error-prone. If I had to guess he'll be on the outside of the HOF, looking in. they've lost 2 of the last 4 championship games correct? and lost one of the past 2 SBs? damn it's uncanny how they resemble the Eagles under Reid. didnt they go to 4 straight championship games, with only 1 SB visit back then? it's so eerily similar. and if the past is any indication, the Chiefs are about to fall like a house of cards like the Eagles did after their great run. 
Congrats on the early contender for worst post of 2022.

Maybe he would have more rings if the Chiefs had been taping other teams' practices to know their play signals. 

Tanner9919 said:

:lol:

Mahomes is a great QB, but fair or not, "when" you play your best matters more than anything else. Yeah, Mahomes played better overall than Brady for a good portion of the game, but not when it mattered most. He didn't play well in the 2nd half and looked terrible at the end. Brady's play was (and often has been) more the opposite. It is only natural that people will remember the rams def blowing the game at the end and Mahomes being inept, fumbling and throwing what should have been easy pick at the end. Mahomes is a great player and will bounce back, but rarity as it is, he just didn't look good at the end yesterday. 

What are thoughts on Mahomes going forward? 

We obviously have to see if the Chiefs bring in any WR FAs and if they draft any WRs, but losing Tyreek Hill is significant in the short term, I think.  He is a weapon unlike almost any we've seen in the NFL, as he can take any catch the distance with his crazy speed.  Kelce should still be great, but he is not as young as used to be, and we know that Juju is not a number 1, but hey maybe Hardman will break out now that he has room to shine as the main deep threat.  Mahomes is obviously one of the best QBs in the NFL, and I think he will still be a top 5 FF QB, but it's not the no-brainer that it was before. 

Having him in dynasty, yesterday hurt.   Watched a few minutes of Mahomes to Hill TD compilation and it's obvious that you're not going to plug Hardman into that role or draft one of the very promising WRs late in the 1st and get the same results or anything close to it.

I also have Kelce and it really makes me wonder if it might be time to pull the plug before the dropoff comes.   A big part of what makes Kelce and Hill so good in fantasy is the big play that often ends in a TD.   You take one of those out of the equation and I doubt that any pickup in target share is going to offset the additional defensive attention that's going to take away a lot of those big plays.

Mahomes was always going to have to cross the bridge where Tyreek Hill was no longer Tyreek HIll, I just thought it would be 2-3 years down the road.   From a human NFL drama standpoint, it will be fascinating to watch Mahomes (and Rodgers) prove themselves and their cap hits next season.    If the Chiefs can hit on rookie WR or unleash the ceiling of a mid-tier UFA, the additional draft capital can be helpful to keeping this offense a well-oiled machine.   I do worry about Reid and where he's at.   Does he still have the drive to to put all of the new ingredients together without Tyreek and make another magical offense before retirement.   I sure hope so.

Nobody is going to replace Tyreek. This does nothing but hurt him for fantasy purposes, and I doubt you'll find anyone who says differently. 

Still already one of the GOATs and someone I want on my team. 

FWIW... the first 5 games of 2019 where Hill was injured in week 1 with 2 targets (presumably 1st half?):

@jax 40-26  25/33, 378 yds  3 td -0 int  143.2

@oak 28-10  30/44, 443 yds  4-0  131.2

bal 33-28  27/37, 374 yds  3-0  132.0

@det 34-30  24/42, 315 yds  0-0  81.0

ind 13-19  22/39, 321 yds  1-0  91.9

5-GAME TOTAL  128/195  65.6%  366.2 yds  11TD - 0 INT  115.86 avg rating

2019  TOTAL   65.9%  287.9 yds  26TD - 5 INT  105.3 rating

2021…

Mahomes: 4839/37/13
Stafford: 4886/41/17

2022…Mahomes loses Tyreek

QB ADP?

Mahomes: QB2
Stafford: QB10-12

🧐
It's kind of misleading without the rushing numbers, but I see your point.  I may very well be the last to draft a QB in my upcoming league.  There are exactly 12 QB's I would accept as my starter, and I have seen Stafford, Wilson, and Rodgers still on the board very late in many mocks.

Patrick Mahomes completed 30-of-39 passes for 360 yards and five touchdowns in the Chiefs 44-21 Week 1 win against the Cardinals, adding three rushes for five yards.

Mahomes sliced and diced the Arizona defense from start to finish, getting whatever he wanted on the intermediate and deeper levels of the field in the first game of KC's post-Tyreek Hill offense. The highly-motivated Mahomes faced little pressure in this one. When he was flushed out of the pocket, he waited patiently for Chiefs pass catchers to get open against an overmatched Cardinals secondary. For one game, at least, Mahomes seems to be fine for fantasy purposes without Hill operating as his No. 1 wideout. Mahomes will be an elite option in Week 2 against the Chargers.

- NBCSportsEDGE

Patrick Mahomes completed 24-of-35 passes for 235 yards and two touchdowns in the Chiefs' 27-24, Week 2 win over the Chargers.​

Coming off one of the finer performances of his already-storied career, Mahomes went from the Kliff Kingsbury easy chair to the Khalil Mack/Joey Bosa meat grinder. The result was a lot of pressure and a host of near interceptions, but ultimately no giveaways in a game the Chiefs eked out. Mahomes' closest call was a second quarter fling near the area of Marquez Valdes-Scantling that was easily picked but overturned via a dubious defensive holding call. There was a scary moment a little later where Bosa missiled into Mahomes' lower half. Somehow, a penalty was called on Mahomes' blocker instead of the pass rusher. Although it was not Mahomes' best night, it still featured two absolutely ridiculous plays on touchdowns. The first was a nine-yard sidearm job to Jerick McKinnon. The second, a 41-yard seam strike to a streaking Justin Watson after Mahomes stepped up in the pocket. There were plays almost no one else is capable of making. Doing just fine with his revamped supporting cast, Mahomes has 10 days to rest up for a Week 3 road trip to Indianapolis.
Sep 15, 2022, 11:19 PM ET

Users who are viewing this thread