What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

QB Sam Howell, SEA (2 Viewers)

Eh, I think that’s just a motivational ploy. He’d have to fall on his face not to get the nod coming out of camp.
Better rosters than Washington’s went nowhere with Brissett under center. Going with Brissett would be a ridiculously bad decision for the franchise unless Howell was to completely fall on his face.

Definitely agree. I’m just taking Ron’s personal motivations into account. He’s probably toast either way but he simply cannot afford a losing season. Coaching with a gun to your head can lead to irrational decisions.
Sure, also I get that right now the “competition” may be just coaching formality.

Rivera being conservative, it wouldn’t shock me I guess if it’s Brissett. Hopefully saner heads would take over.

Eh, I think that’s just a motivational ploy. He’d have to fall on his face not to get the nod coming out of camp.
Better rosters than Washington’s went nowhere with Brissett under center. Going with Brissett would be a ridiculously bad decision for the franchise unless Howell was to completely fall on his face.

Definitely agree. I’m just taking Ron’s personal motivations into account. He’s probably toast either way but he simply cannot afford a losing season. Coaching with a gun to your head can lead to irrational decisions.
Sure, also I get that right now the “competition” may be just coaching formality.

Rivera being conservative, it wouldn’t shock me I guess if it’s Brissett. Hopefully saner heads would take over.

Nah as a local Skins fan I can tell you all indications are that Ron wants it to be Howell and Brissette is just a break glass in case of emergency option. Or Ron became a good liar this off-season, which I doubt.

I am so high on this guy this year. Crazy good WR group, Logan Thomas and Gibson? This guy is a very natural instinctive runner... had 76 carries 1106 and 10 TD, thats 100 less yards than Malik Willis on similar carries. His only start against the Cowboys last year he had 5-35-1TD. As noted above he was a great passer as well when he had a supporting cast.

I think if you wait on QB this guy is an excellent QB2 that costs almost nothing and if he truly hits and there is an easy path to see that happening, could be big value.

For those playing Dynasty SF and 2-QB he is such an interesting guy...do you cash out now if you have him or do you try to obtain him now when the price may be affordable as far as QBs go in those formats...if this kid hits it can really enhance a roster because my guess is whoever has him probably got him for close to nothing.

For those playing Dynasty SF and 2-QB he is such an interesting guy...do you cash out now if you have him or do you try to obtain him now when the price may be affordable as far as QBs go in those formats...if this kid hits it can really enhance a roster because my guess is whoever has him probably got him for close to nothing.
I cashed out...to a QB needy team, I traded him and Brissett for a 2025 1st and 2nd.

I cashed out...to a QB needy team, I traded him and Brissett for a 2025 1st and 2nd.

Nice deal...even if he hits that is a solid return considering he is still an unknown right now.

Last edited:
National media is sleeping on this guy. Has great targets and a far better OC. He will have some bad games, but he's not gonna be worse than Taylor Heinicke and they won 8 games with Taylor. The OL is still a major problem. Hopefully Bienemy's scheme is better suited to their abilities. If so Howell could be a huge FF sleeper as a QB2.
Sleeper. Hell. He is my qb2. -couch emoji

I drafted him as my QB2 behind Mahomes in a 16 team SF league. 6.01

Felt like a pretty solid value.

I drafted him as my QB2 behind Mahomes in a 16 team SF league. 6.01

Felt like a pretty solid value.

The bigger the league the more value he has.

NFL Beat Writers @32BeatWriters
“Howell has looked impressive at times, but hasn't been perfect, as one should expect from a quarterback entering his second season. As the defense has slowly ramped up its physicality, the pressure has led to overthrows and three interceptions in the last two practices.”
Just saw a tweet where today he had a brilliant PA fake roll-out dart to hit Dayami at the sideline in the 2nd level. Even on the move he made his checkdowns.

It looked like he had a lane to take off running, so maybe there’s a concentrated effort by EB to keep him throwing in camp.

Even with the miscues he certainly looks like an NFL QB out there.

NFL Beat Writers @32BeatWriters
“Howell has looked impressive at times, but hasn't been perfect, as one should expect from a quarterback entering his second season. As the defense has slowly ramped up its physicality, the pressure has led to overthrows and three interceptions in the last two practices.”
Just saw a tweet where today he had a brilliant PA fake roll-out dart to hit Dayami at the sideline in the 2nd level. Even on the move he made his checkdowns.

It looked like he had a lane to take off running, so maybe there’s a concentrated effort by EB to keep him throwing in camp.

Even with the miscues he certainly looks like an NFL QB out there.
Starting to lovey Howell as a late round flier.

Speaking on The Sports Junkies, Chris Russell of The Team 980 said Commanders QB Sam Howell has handled “100 percent” of the first-team snaps in camp.
This could be a slight over-exaggeration, although it shouldn’t come as news to anybody. As Russell pointed out on air, quarterback competitions have been more of an idea than an implemented practice under Ron Rivera. Washington handed the starting job to Carson Wentz after trading for him last offseason and handed the job to Ryan Fitzpatrick at the start of 2021. Russell said both Howell and Jacoby Brissett have “struggled mightily” at times in camp but said both quarterbacks have also “looked the part” at other times. Considering all of the training camp snaps, it sounds like Howell is locked into Washington’s QB1 role despite Rivera’s best efforts to suggest there’s a spot to be earned.

Washington QB Sam Howell completed 9-of-12 passes for 77 yards and a touchdown in his preseason debut vs the Browns.

The Washington offensive line struggled to protect Howell, taking two penalties and allowing a sack on the first two drives. Howell rebounded on the third series, converting a fourth down and hitting WR Jahan Dotson for a 26-yard touchdown. This was a good look at Howell’s upside in Washington’s offense, with the second-year quarterback also adding an eight-yard run before exiting. Jacoby Brissett completed 6-of-10 passes for 75 yards and an interception playing behind Howell.

I am sure no team has ever demoted their HC to DC, and promoted their OC to HC, but there's a first time for everything.

Watched the first preseason game, Howell looked very accurate. A bit jittery when pass rush was coming, but that's understandable. Based on one preseason game, the job should be his. Jacoby Brissett, come on now.
I think they're desperately hoping that Howell can take charge and not have to resort to Brissett. But Rivera's job is on the line for sure and he can't keep Howell in there if he's really struggling.

I am sure no team has ever demoted their HC to DC, and promoted their OC to HC, but there's a first time for everything.

Watched the first preseason game, Howell looked very accurate. A bit jittery when pass rush was coming, but that's understandable. Based on one preseason game, the job should be his. Jacoby Brissett, come on now.
I think they're desperately hoping that Howell can take charge and not have to resort to Brissett. But Rivera's job is on the line for sure and he can't keep Howell in there if he's really struggling.
A 7-10 season from Brissett, if he can manage even that, isn't going to save Rivera's job.

Rivera needs to go full Riverboat Ron again and push all his chips on Red 14.

Last edited:
I haven't read anything to back this up, but my gut says that Ron is a lame duck coach this year regardless of what they do and EB will be the next Commanders head coach. The only reason Bieniemy left the Chiefs was because he wasn't going to get a head coach chance there. If that is the deal, I'm not sure what Ron will do or how much power he really has. Brissett isn't going to take them to the Super Bowl and isn't a long term answer, Maybe Howell is or isn't the answer. My feeling is that Howell is the kind of QB that would be a good fit for this offense (good arm strength, mobile, decent accuracy, young), but he also might not be a long term answer either. He will make mistakes, but also offers more upside than Brissett IMO. It will be interesting to see how it plays out.

IMO all of this is motivational coach-Jedi nonsense.

Howell is the starter.

A 7-10 season from Brissett, if he can manage even that, isn't going to save Rivera's job.

This isn't a 7-10 team with any of their currerntly-rostered QBs.
The kid will struggle and lose. Brissett will struggle and lose.

The team is kind of bad, they will struggle and lose.

This isn't a 7-10 team with any of their currerntly-rostered QBs.
The kid will struggle and lose. Brissett will struggle and lose.

The team is kind of bad, they will struggle and lose.
Agreed, for the most part, but the only path that will move the franchise forward is to see if Sam Howell can be a franchise QB. There is no value in starting Brissett.

Agreed, for the most part, but the only path that will move the franchise forward is to see if Sam Howell can be a franchise QB. There is no value in starting Brissett
💯 this.

And up until his last year in college, Howell was expected to be a high 1st round draft pick.

It’ll be interesting to see if he can follow the Brady/Purdy path to late round QB success.

From what I’ve seen, the tools are there. His rushing ability is extremely underrated in FF circles.

Have to think his ADP will go up after last night. Fortunately there are enough non-believers out there so that you can still get him late, even in superflex. Targeting him as my upside 3rd QB in superflex for sure.

Last edited:
Is Howell worth rostering in a 12 teamer PPR? Jordan Love is out there as well. Both of these guys are in similar boats, but it seems Howell's supporting cast is a bit stronger.

What are the chances these guys surprise and end up top 15?
Not sure I agree Howell has a stronger supporting cast. At best it looks like a push, particularly with McLaurin having a turf toe.

It feels like a pick your poison situation. To me it's close enough that I honestly don't know which one I would chose.

I think I slightly lean towards Love as he has had two years in the system and has seen more in game action.

However Howell is a bit more mobile so...

Is Howell worth rostering in a 12 teamer PPR? Jordan Love is out there as well. Both of these guys are in similar boats, but it seems Howell's supporting cast is a bit stronger.

What are the chances these guys surprise and end up top 15?
Not sure I agree Howell has a stronger supporting cast. At best it looks like a push, particularly with McLaurin having a turf toe.

It feels like a pick your poison situation. To me it's close enough that I honestly don't know which one I would chose.

I think I slightly lean towards Love as he has had two years in the system and has seen more in game action.

However Howell is a bit more mobile so...
That's kinda where I am at...pick your poison. I like Howell's mobility and I wonder if he might play more aggressively with both arm and feet. He's going to have to put points on the board to keep up with that division too.

Users who are viewing this thread