What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

QB Spencer Rattler, NO (1 Viewer)

I like Rattler, but a lot of respected analysts have called out his accuracy as needing improvement not to mention other facets of his game.

That being said, if he can improve accuracy there may be some NFL starts in his future sooner than later.

Last edited:
I like Rattler, but a lot of respected analysts have called out his accuracy as needing improvement.

That being said, if he can improve accuracy there may be some NFL starts in his future sooner than later.
I’ve watched a lot of his tape. I didn’t see any dramatic issues with his accuracy. He looked pro-ready to me.

And Carr hasn’t exactly been Joe Montana out there. They’re gonna have to pay Carr a $10M roster bonus + $30M salary, or cut him & roll with Rattler.

Seems like things are set up for Rattler to get a chance sooner rather than later. If Carr’s again bad this year the Saints might just make a change mid-season to see what they have.

His faults are well documented...there's a reason he slid to the 5th.

I like that he has improved, but still needs improvement in multiple areas by almost all accounts that I've listened to...Waldman and others.

Last edited:
Yes - and it reportedly had very little to do with on-field performance, but rather the tv show he was on when he was 18 and seemed arrogant as hell.

And every coach he’s had since had disputed it.

I like that he has improved, but still needs improvement in multiple areas by almost all accounts that I've listened to...Waldman and others.
Not saying he doesn’t, but 1. Every rookie QB does, and 2. That’s not why he slipped, according to most reports I’ve seen.

I loved his interview on Sirius. He's already got to work watching tape and asking Carr questions.
It couldn't be earlier in the process but I will never doubt a five star putting in work. If I hear more stories of work ethic he's definitely on my dynasty team. I've made far worse and far less reasonable decisions in FF than this.

Right but he doesn't have to play in 2024. He can learn n develop. They can work with him and iron out the kinks.
I've read some people say he'll be average at best at some point, once he's established. I very much disagree. The history of the few five star athletes is either fame or flame and I see direct lines to the critiques or positives leading to either. He's a scratch off ticket for FF.

His ADP will bounce around some as everyone decides if not playing in 2024 is good or bad. Right now, he's fine for a lottery ticket. I'm afraid it'll rise and the FF world will make me put more thought into it.

I've only had one draft, the rest aren't til summer. This one, we never changed back from COVID rules so we can have healthy players on IR. He was my 3.8 and he isn't even taking up a roster spot.

I say don't start comparing him to Caleb and Maye and doing all that...he was drafted late, he's available late, just let it be.

I've made far worse and far less reasonable decisions in FF than this.
3.16!

If the Saints don’t pay Carr next year (likely) and Rattler takes over (possible) that might be the biggest bargain in SF history. That team has weapons on offense and a shaky QB. Best possible scenario / landing spot for Rattler, IMO.

Reactions: Bri
This one, we never changed back from COVID rules so we can have healthy players on IR
Y'all might want to just create a taxi squad. Off-topic, but it would make sense.
We have an appreciation for not changing rules and liking things as is, also a fear of wrecking the league and...I think that's the real reason why we don't change it.
It's different when you realize you're in a great league w great guys. We don't get lowball offers and whine if everything. Last year's winner sent all the prize $ to another guy for his sick wife. We just feel fortunate and don't want to mess with it

It's different when you realize you're in a great league w great guys. We don't get lowball offers and whine if everything. Last year's winner sent all the prize $ to another guy for his sick wife. We just feel fortunate and don't want to mess with it
Yeah, that sounds like a good bunch of folks.

Yes - and it reportedly had very little to do with on-field performance, but rather the tv show he was on when he was 18 and seemed arrogant as hell.

I disagree this is the reason he slide to the 5th round. I know the source that cited that but NFL front offices are smarter than that.

It's not the primary reason he slid. He has gaping holes in his game.

I disagree this is the reason he slide to the 5th round. I know the source that cited that but NFL front offices are smarter than that.

It's not the primary reason he slid. He has gaping holes in his game.
I love Rattler’s developmental upside but the above is true. He’s still somewhat careless with decision making and has been forced, one can argue to play lots of hero ball. If he’s going to become a successful QB, that has to change. I still like him quite a bit thank think he’ll get a crack at the job next year. The Saints will win 7 or 8 games and pick in the middle range of the first round next year, not high enough to take an elite prospect.

Gamecock fan here. Admittedly, I agree he played “hero ball” too often. Maybe we have to imagine he did not feel surrounded by sufficient talent to trust them to elevate to make a needed play. Remember he played in the SEC against higher caliber talent than most other late QB selections.
ETA: I still like his potential in the NFL as a starting QB after quality coaching and maturity

He's gonna have to play hero ball, beside the Saints cannot consistently pay people, so he's going to be dragging young cheap players down the field.

After the two years of Derek Carr the Saints are locked into

He represents a very enticing choice for SF teams that are in win now mode, have emptied their draft pick capital and usually get no chance of re-stocking at QB, imo.

As an example I’ve got Allen and Hurts in a SF, with Brissett and O’Connell on the bench. Only got pick 3.04 left this year and just moved a ‘25 2nd for 2.10 this year. My thinking, I’m win now so would rather try and add another piece this year than wait 12 months. There’s good value out there with some of these RBs back end of the 2nd … Jalen Wright, Corum maybe and some intriguing WRs - Wilson, Burton, Franklin, Baker but to potentially grab a QB who under the surface may be better and be in a better situation than his current rep has him at is a tantalising prospect. With a little luck he then becomes a viable backup for your team or even better .. a chip towards receiving a much weightier draft pick or player back. It’s a calculated risk that could very well be worth it.

I mean really … is Carr that much of a roadblock that you wouldn’t bet against Rattler getting his chance even if it’s through injury

He's gonna have to play hero ball, beside the Saints cannot consistently pay people, so he's going to be dragging young cheap players down the field.

After the two years of Derek Carr the Saints are locked into
I see this said quite often, but they never seem to lose anyone of consequence and manage to sign big names every year.

I mean really … is Carr that much of a roadblock that you wouldn’t bet against Rattler getting his chance even if it’s through injury
This is where I’m at. Not only has Carr been thoroughly mediocre, his reworked contract has him vulnerable for 2025.

Sure, Rattler could get a shot and fall on his face. But from what I’ve seen/read about him, there’s a lot of talent there, and the bad stuff is ultimately coachable.

Since Carr is due a $10M roster bonus next year + $30M in salary, I’m fully expecting the Saints to find out what they have in Rattler prior to making a decision in the 2025 draft. I don’t see any scenario where they pay Carr $40M to play like he’s been playing.

This is where I’m at. Not only has Carr been thoroughly mediocre, his reworked contract has him vulnerable for 2025.

Sure, Rattler could get a shot and fall on his face. But from what I’ve seen/read about him, there’s a lot of talent there, and the bad stuff is ultimately coachable.

Since Carr is due a $10M roster bonus next year + $30M in salary, I’m fully expecting the Saints to find out what they have in Rattler prior to making a decision in the 2025 draft. I don’t see any scenario where they pay Carr $40M to play like he’s been playing.
Carr is thoroughly mediocre on his best days, and even on those days he sucks in the red zone.

Carr is thoroughly mediocre on his best days, and even on those days he sucks in the red zone.
It wouldn’t be hard for Rattler to be as good as Carr, while much, much cheaper in 2025. So it’s not difficult to envision the Saints giving him a shot at some point in 2024 to see what they have.

Users who are viewing this thread