What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

QB Tua Tagovailoa, MIA (1 Viewer)

I just watched the replay in slomo.

Could not have been a cleaner tackle. Physics don`t match up in the NFL. At a high rate of speed 340lbs vs 210lbs. Tossed Tua like a rag doll.
100% agree, this is why i think Tua should not be in the NFL, the same thing is going to repeat itself if and when he returns to the field. he simply doesn't have the speed like a Kyler Murray to counter his frame which is not built for the punishment.

Broken Hip Socket in late 2019, still started by Week 4-5-6 of his Rookie season when he should have been on injured reserve all year.
2021-Busted ribs Week 2, missed a few games with Brisett starting for Miami. He was never the same the first half of the season and Miami was 1-7
2022-Concussion Week 3, appears that way but nothing official so we don't want to say with certainty but then he sustains a vicious hit and concussion in Week 4

He needs to step away for a while, maybe the rest of the year. I definitely think Miami needs to hit pause on doing any type of extension which he would technically be due or could be done in the 2023 Off Season

I agree. There is no way Dolphins can extend him giving his injury history. It might only get worse going forward.

What is worrisome is Teddy is just as frail. Everytime Teddy takes a big hit it is danger.
What is also as worrisome is that Teddy isn't very good.
He’s basically the same QB as Tua. Frail, weak armed but accurate QB with some mobility but not a dynamic runner.
Tua looks like a lot better QB than Teddy from my side of the room.
Maybe, but I would like to see Teddy get another game and then judge. He came in pretty cold and hasn't played in a while tbh.
I was thinking of his past, not just Monday night

That is called the "fencing response". It is absolutely no joke, but it is indication of a concussion, not a seizure, stroke or anything more serious.
To be honest, when watching the Bills game last week, I thought he exhibited a brief fencing response when he hit his head on the Milano shove. I talked about it with some friends in a group chat at the time. Yesterday was much, much worse.

Yesterday in the game thread I posted that I thought it was irresponsible to assume without actual evidence that Tua suffered a concussion the week before, because by doing so you were basically calling the Dolphins corrupt and liars. I argued that watching the injury last week and concluding anything based on what you saw on TV doesn’t qualify as “actual evidence”.

I thought my comments were pretty mild and logical but man was I attacked for them. Doesn’t matter I still think they’re true. Many are calling for an investigation this morning, the Union head promises to “pursue every legal option”- that’s fine, that’s all warranted. Maybe it’s true and the Dolphins really did deliberately play Russian Roulette with this dude’s brain. If they did then they deserve whatever’s coming to them. But I still find it unlikely and I think it’s irresponsible to just assume it’s true.
Teams have gamed the injury protocols for years, starting with Hoodie. It really should have been easy for the league to step in with Tua as there was plenty of video showing him dazed and struggling. The league and NFLPA will have to get together on this to make sure it never happens again.

Yesterday in the game thread I posted that I thought it was irresponsible to assume without actual evidence that Tua suffered a concussion the week before, because by doing so you were basically calling the Dolphins corrupt and liars. I argued that watching the injury last week and concluding anything based on what you saw on TV doesn’t qualify as “actual evidence”.

I thought my comments were pretty mild and logical but man was I attacked for them. Doesn’t matter I still think they’re true. Many are calling for an investigation this morning, the Union head promises to “pursue every legal option”- that’s fine, that’s all warranted. Maybe it’s true and the Dolphins really did deliberately play Russian Roulette with this dude’s brain. If they did then they deserve whatever’s coming to them. But I still find it unlikely and I think it’s irresponsible to just assume it’s true.
IMO ... Whether Tua passed concussion protocol or not is irrelevant. You don't have to be a doctor to see that Tua was having neurological issues last week vs the Bills.
He was staggering around like a drunken sailor before collapsing to the ground and having to be held up. Whether it was his brain or his spine, I don't know, but it was certainly bad and he shouldn't have been allowed back in that game. Let's put it this way ... If it was a fighter, the fight would have been stopped.

I'd also be concerned about how easily Tua is getting concussed ... The play last vs the Bills did not seem that drastic. And while he was thrown down pretty hard yesterday the result seemed to be much worse than the impact. I'd be concerned that there is an underlying issue

I thought the doctors doing the evaluations were independent, not just the "spotters". If that isn't correct then that is the easy answer. The NFL has an independent doctor assigned to each game to evaluate head injuries. Their decision is final, no input from the team, player or team medical staff.

Going by the informative link ignatius provided, it seems unclear whether or not the evaluator for a given injury is independent of the team -- looks like a sometimes-yes-sometimes-no thing:

Using the injury video review system’s monitor and recording equipment to monitor, the ATC spotter watches and reviews network footage of the game. If the ATC spotter observes a play that may have resulted in a concussion or injury on the field, he or she will call that team’s bench area to speak with a credentialed team physician or the head athletic trainer to relay the details of the potential injury he or she observed. The spotter will confirm the player’s jersey number and the situation in which the injury may have occurred.

The ATC spotter must speak directly to the team physician, unaffiliated neurotrauma consultant, or head athletic trainer when reviewing a potential injury. They cannot relay the information to other team staff assigned to answer the bench phones.

Additionally -- I would question whether or not someone standing on a team's sideline throughout a game (even someone not in pay of the league or team) can 100% of the time reliably maintain independence. Not talking about someone "cheating" for the team -- thinking more about getting caught in the moment, believing a concussed player's pleadings that he's really OK, leaning the wrong way on a borderline call, etc.
During last night's postgame, Fitzpatrick told a story about a game where he felt fine but the spotter saw something from the stands and he was pulled out and taken into the blue tent.

If Tua had been in concussion protocol
The insidious thing about the whole thing was that I forgot if Tua was announced to have had a concussion Sunday, he wouldn't have been able to play yesterday. By rule the earliest you can get cleared of the protocol is five days. Thursday was Day 4...
I thought it was 5 steps. Which might usually be 5 or more days, but could be less IIRC.
The protocol has no mention of the number of days, just 5 steps. I imagine 2 steps could be done on 1 day, making it possible to return to play 4 days after a concussion. I recall a player returning on a Thursday, after a Sunday game, but I can't find it. Tua's concussion looks to be more serious than the typical concussion. He has 10 days to clear the protocol for a home game vs the NYJ, and the 7 more for the next game vs MIN. I think Miami should audition Skylar, even though Teddy made multiple good plays until the INT. I don't see Tua getting an extension.
It certainly does seem like Tua is dealing with something serious, but a reminder that you can't necessarily tell the severity of a concussion by how it looks on the field, or the player's immediate response. Sometimes it's a scary looking hit but the guy is back to normal the following day. Other times it may look like a glancing blow but symptoms persist for weeks.

Similarly, progression through the protocol is not necessarily linear. A player may progress through the first four stages quickly and then get stuck on the last one, or vice versa.

had to take a baseline test online to be used if needed for concussion testing. Does anyone think it past an NFL player to try and play "dumb" on that test so it is easier to pass if they had a concussion?
within minutes of you posting this, Bart Scott on First Take said this (playing dumb on preseason baseline test) is exactly what some players do. said system is easy to game.

Whoever cleared Tua on Sunday, has some explaining to do. He clearly exhibited many of these symptoms on Sunday.

Last night looked like a brain stem injury from cervical spine insult. Tua looked like he lost consciousness and was posturing before his head even made contact with the ground. That was some wicked torque on his cervical spine the way he got whipped around like a rag doll. Interested to see what the MRI reveals, and kind of schocked they didn't perform one in Cincy. Also interesting they sent him home with a cervical collar (per Josina Anderson).

Teddy has no arm. His passes haven't had any zip for a while now. That being said, with those WR he should be productive if needed in a fill in role.

Teddy has no arm. His passes haven't had any zip for a while now. That being said, with those WR he should be productive if needed in a fill in role.
He made a few nice plays. The bomb to Hill, the pass to Sherfield while scrambling to the right, and he ripped one over the middle to Sherfield. He's no Mahomes, but his passes are like they always have been.

NFL Player's Association exercised its right of termination on the Unaffiliated Neurotrauma Consultant involved with the Tua Tagovailoa case.

This comes days after the Dolphins quarterback was forced from Thursday Night Football with clear neurological symptoms and a week after Tua briefly left Week 3's contest after stumbling and eventually collapsing to his knees. Although the NFL Player's Association investigation is ongoing, it was found that the UNC that cleared Tua to return in Week 3 "made several mistakes" in his evaluation. The final authority for a player returning to the game ultimately resides with team doctors under the league's concussion protocol, placing additional scrutiny on Miami's medical team. The union's investigation into the situation will eventually become public knowledge after the findings are released to the league, but that process will take time to play out. In the meantime, expect Teddy Bridgewater to start for Miami should Tua need additional time to gain clearance.
- ESPN

It seems unlike most people I'll be waiting for the full report to come out to see if blame should be placed anywhere but for sure I've yet to come across any information which makes me think the Dolphins or McDaniel did anything underhanded or wrong. Again I might change my mind when all the information is out and perhaps if their is blame it's more on the protocols then on actions of individuals.

The NFLPA just put out this announcement: https://twitter.com/NFLPA/status/1576354267304456192, which states they have not made any conclusions regarding any errors or protocol violations occurring.

They also have agreed with NFL to enhancements to the protocol which could go into place as soon as tomorrow. From what I understand if you show any instability as Tua did last week you'll be out for that game no matter what, no longer able to return if you pass concussion testing.

I'm sure many will applaud this move but I've already scanned one beat writer for the Patriots, Tom Curran, who pointed out that under these rules Edelman would have likely been removed from the SB in 2015. A game where he went on to have the go ahead and ultimately winning TD score. Edelman has said his head was fine, had a hip issue. I don't think he's lying.

"You have to protect the player from himself"

Heard this a million times. Don't get it. At all. Protect them from what... playing football? Protect them from the contact sport they more than willingly get paid millions to play? What - like make them wear pads and helmets?

Heard this a million times. Don't get it. At all. Protect them from what... playing football? Protect them from the contact sport they more than willingly get paid millions to play? What - like make them wear pads and helmets?
I've intentionally been staying out of this conversation, but thanks for saying it for me.

The excitement for the Miami Dolphins in 2022 from let's say last Saturday Night-Sunday-Monday and then...Tursday-Friday-Today...

The air has just been sucked out of the building. All the fun and high hopes for 2022 have vanished.

The reality of what faces Miami ahead this year and beyond is pretty frightening.

is this real or shtick? i guess you’ve never played sports or served something above yourself before. My guess is you don’t have kids and came from money.

is this real or shtick? i guess you’ve never played sports or served something above yourself before. My guess is you don’t have kids and came from money.
I think it's pretty valid to ask "Why can't a human being make decisions about his own life?" If the team wants him to not play, for any reason, that's fine. They have that authority over him. But if the reasoning is strictly that it's for his own safety, even if he wants to play, that's pretty butt-backwards. Sugar is bad for me. But come and try to take my doughnuts.

I think it's pretty valid to ask "Why can't a human being make decisions about his own life?" If the team wants him to not play, for any reason, that's fine. They have that authority over him. But if the reasoning is strictly that it's for his own safety, even if he wants to play, that's pretty butt-backwards. Sugar is bad for me. But come and try to take my doughnuts.
Doughnuts are illegal in like 9 States

That's why I've moved 9 times. But seriously, I do get why there would obviously be a strong urge felt by many people to protect people from themselves. I'm not saying it's total nonsense. But it just doesn't feel right to me to make a decision for another grown adult against his will.

That's why I've moved 9 times. But seriously, I do iget why there would obviously be a strong urge felt by many people to protect people from themselves. I'm not saying it's total nonsense. But it just doesn't feel right to me to make a decision for another grown adult against his will.
while snowboarding i got knocked out and concussed. i got to the bottom of the ski hill and tried to get in my car and drive with my 13 year old son. my kid knew something was wrong and took my keys and had people get ski patrols i don’t remember any of this, in fact i remember getting off the ski lift and then coming to in the er room. between the lift and the room i supposedly hit my head, snowboarded down the hill on a gnarly run, then tried to get in a few different vehicles all while calling my son by my dead friends name. my kid still tells me how out of it i was while still being fully functional down the mountain. yeah, sometimes people need protection from themselves. i can only imagine had i tried to drive, dui drivers would have had a better chance

That's why I've moved 9 times. But seriously, I do iget why there would obviously be a strong urge felt by many people to protect people from themselves. I'm not saying it's total nonsense. But it just doesn't feel right to me to make a decision for another grown adult against his will.
while snowboarding i got knocked out and concussed. i got to the bottom of the ski hill and tried to get in my car and drive with my 13 year old son. my kid knew something was wrong and took my keys and had people get ski patrols i don’t remember any of this, in fact i remember getting off the ski lift and then coming to in the er room. between the lift and the room i supposedly hit my head, snowboarded down the hill on a gnarly run, then tried to get in a few different vehicles all while calling my son by my dead friends name. my kid still tells me how out of it i was while still being fully functional down the mountain. yeah, sometimes people need protection from themselves. i can only imagine had i tried to drive, dui drivers would have had a better chance
Only difference there is that you were putting many other people's bodies and lives at risk along with your own. But that is an interesting example.

Only difference there is that you were putting many other people's bodies and lives at risk along with your own. But that is an interesting example.
had this not happened to me i probably wouldn’t have an opinion on tua. that was my 3rd concussion in 4 years and the last time i ever snowboarded

:lmao: X X and X

Couldn't be more real. These guys are making the choice daily to risk their health in return for millions. Ie the risk is there before it happens.

There is no football without risk - if all of you people on your high horses had any true interest in protecting these guys, you wouldn't let them play at all. The irony of watching the overreaction AFTER it happens is sadly comical.

Injuries aren't a maybe in the NFL... they are a near certainty.

Last edited:

Couldn't be more real. These guys are making the choice daily to risk their health in return for millions. Ie the risk is there before it happens.

There is no football without risk - if all of you people on your high horses had any true interest in protecting these guys, you wouldn't let them play at all. The irony of watching the overreaction AFTER it happens is sadly comical.

Injuries are inevitable. Just throwing up the hands and acting like they shouldn’t do what they can to prevent them, mitigate them, and treat them properly is just nonsense.

The injured player will only have more incentive to lie to get back in.
It’s got to be taken totally out of the player’s hands. No tests, no blue tents. Looked bad? Dude couldn’t walk smoothly after a hit? Auto-sit.

Who is making that call?

Doctors... how many times did I hear this week the doctors need to be in jail? Didn't they just fire the doc?
The team... conflict.
The player.. conflict.

Bob in the stands maybe? Does he have money on the game?

You aren't going to stop this from happening like this imo. Rule changes and better equipment to continue the effort to mitigate it.. I don't know, maybe?

Injuries are inevitable. Just throwing up the hands and acting like they shouldn’t do what they can to prevent them, mitigate them, and treat them properly is just nonsense.

I believe every year we have had new rules and new helmets and new protocols to mitigate it. Who is throwing up their hands?

Ironically, again - the choice by so many here to throw up their hands, point fingers - AFTERWARDS - seems to be a popular strategy.

Last edited:
And of course, going without mention through all of this, are the far more common injuries and their effect on NFL players' lives.

Until the media tells us to get mad about that, I suppose.

Tua should not be in the NFL, the same thing is going to repeat itself if and when he returns to the field. he simply doesn't have the speed like a Kyler Murray to counter his frame which is not built for the punishment.
Drew Brees ?
Drew Brees knew how to throw the ball away and also had much better pocket awareness and actually was quicker with his feet.

No comparison. Your talking about an exception to the physicality rule with Brees.

Tua is not that exception in the least bit…..his career clock is going to be very short.

Who is making that call?

Doctors... how many times did I hear this week the doctors need to be in jail? Didn't they just fire the doc?
The team... conflict.
The player.. conflict.

I actually think such calls could be, essentially, professionally crowdsourced (link). Not by Bobs in the stands, though.

I never let my son sniff tackle football….because I know how dangerous the game is and not even in the slightest bit worth the risk.

This game is extremely dangerous and injuries regardless of how small or how large are a 100% certainty. I guess you can say that about all the major sports….but football lends itself to the worst kinds of serious injuries.

Rex Ryan pontificates about coach MM putting Tua back in the BUF game. But he's ok with his high school age son playing with the risk of CTE after suffering a concussion.

Randy Moss thinks the NFL will be different in 20 or 30 years. He mentioned the increased popularity of flag football.

I never let my son sniff tackle football….because I know how dangerous the game is and not even in the slightest bit worth the risk.

This game is extremely dangerous and injuries regardless of how small or how large are a 100% certainty. I guess you can say that about all the major sports….but football lends itself to the worst kinds of serious injuries.
You don't hear about too many with CTE issues in tennis and golf

I said injuries in general. Not specifically CTE or concussion issues.

All sports have em……but football is the worst period….NHL would be second.

Who is making that call?

The team... conflict.
The player.. conflict.

I actually think such calls could be, essentially, professionally crowdsourced (link). Not by Bobs in the stands, though.

Interesting option, actually. Hadn't thought about it.

Would crowdsourcing help/hurt teams like Dallas/NE/Pitt?

Would crowdsourcing help/hurt teams like Dallas/NE/Pitt?
I’ll take it to the other thread … but the way it works in my head, the crowdsourcing would chiefly be done by those without particular knowledge of the NFL. Certainly not fan allegiances.

Tua Tagovailoa (concussion) won't play in Week 5 against the Jets.​

This one doesn't come as much of a surprise after everything that's unfolded since Miami's Week 3 game against the Bills. Tagovailoa was knocked from Thursday night's Week 4 contest against the Bengals in a game that many thought he had no business being in. Head coach Mike McDaniel said last week that Tagovailoa was experiencing headaches after the game and did not place a timetable on when he's expected to return, but we know he'll be sidelined for Week 5. Backup quarterback Teddy Bridgewater will draw the start against a Jets team that's allowing 0.215 EPA per dropback and over 25 points per game. Bridgewater should be treated as a viable QB2 in superflex and two quarterback leagues.
RELATED:
Oct 3, 2022, 1:45 PM ET

What about boxing? The entire point of the sport is to give someone a concussion. Could you imagine the reaction if Muhammad Ali sued Joe Frazier for brain damage that resulted from their fights?

Tua should not be in the NFL, the same thing is going to repeat itself if and when he returns to the field. he simply doesn't have the speed like a Kyler Murray to counter his frame which is not built for the punishment.
Drew Brees ?
Drew Brees knew how to throw the ball away and also had much better pocket awareness and actually was quicker with his feet.

No comparison. Your talking about an exception to the physicality rule with Brees.

Tua is not that exception in the least bit…..his career clock is going to be very short.
thanks. you make the point i was too lazy to make.
by throwing Brees (and his 20 year career out there), i hoped to suggest that there are other factors than frame and K. Murray speed at play.
and regarding Brees quick feet, i was very surprised to see his 3 cone drill and 20 yd.shuttle times on Wiki.
guess i'm remembering him in his latter years.

The excitement for the Miami Dolphins in 2022 from let's say last Saturday Night-Sunday-Monday and then...Tursday-Friday-Today...

The air has just been sucked out of the building. All the fun and high hopes for 2022 have vanished.

The reality of what faces Miami ahead this year and beyond is pretty frightening.

Not really. Teddy will give the Dolphins about the same chance to win as Tags. They can make the playoffs with Teddy is he can stay healthy.

Users who are viewing this thread