What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

QB Zach Wilson, DEN (1 Viewer)

i think he’s a worse version of sanchez and darnold. what is really odd is that as athletic as he has been made out to be, nothing is designed for him to use it. he never rolls out, is never in motion.
That’s not entirely accurate.

He actually showed some flashes with his legs in his rookie season, and IIRC he hurt his knee last season on a non-contact roll-out with a good stretch of open field in front of him.

That was the one aspect of his game that gave FF shareholders hope, since that rushing ability can be 3-5 point per game cheat code.

That said, maybe they’re asking him to stay in the pocket while he learns to check down under pressure at the NFL level, and not be so quick to scramble. That happens a lot in preseason with developmental QBs.

i think he’s a worse version of sanchez and darnold. what is really odd is that as athletic as he has been made out to be, nothing is designed for him to use it. he never rolls out, is never in motion.
That’s not entirely accurate.

He actually showed some flashes with his legs in his rookie season, and IIRC he hurt his knee last season on a non-contact roll-out with a good stretch of open field in front of him.

That was the one aspect of his game that gave FF shareholders hope, since that rushing ability can be 3-5 point per game cheat code.

That said, maybe they’re asking him to stay in the pocket while he learns to check down under pressure at the NFL level, and not be so quick to scramble. That happens a lot in preseason with developmental QBs.
i don’t know. i try to forget about wilson a lot. but i felt that his running basically was improvised scrambling as he tried to figure out how to fire a 3 yard pass at someone’s helmet. i remember the knee sprain. well, jets have a backup for 2 more years and then wilson can bounce around as other teams use the change of scenario excuse with him until they realize that he stinks. at least there are 2 spring leagues now for him to finish out his career.

I just don't think he has the processing speed. And then his accuracy (which was allegedly a strength coming out) just falls to pieces as his mechanics break down. Can't complete a simple screen pass and misses wide open throws. Never hits anyone in stride. Brutal miss by the Jets scouting department.

Just doesn't have it. Never did. Hate to be right but I called it from day one. His hype was the product of a COVID schedule playing behind a team of mature 24 year olds that outclassed all their opponents

There really isn't much to debate. He's shown nothing but that he's awful. He couldn't even beat out a backup that looks terrible in Miami. I hope to God that Rodgers is fine.

jets went 7-10 last year and i just realized the qbs they beat were as follows;

rodgers, allen then rypien, brissett, thompson, pickett and semien.

Zach was Zach again but he did show some flashes that he hasnt in past - nice pass the Wilson on the TD pass. Ran the ball a few times. The coaches need to find a way to use this kids legs more. Once they were down you knew the picks were coming. He wasnt good but also wasnt the reason they lost

Zach was Zach again but he did show some flashes that he hasnt in past - nice pass the Wilson on the TD pass. Ran the ball a few times. The coaches need to find a way to use this kids legs more. Once they were down you knew the picks were coming. He wasnt good but also wasnt the reason they lost
disagree a bit. outside of the 68 yarder to wilson, he threw for 100 yards? teams know he can’t throw and they stack the box, negating the run game. he holds the ball for eons and is indecisive. he is athletic and can scramble, but still can’t process the game, has no touch or feel for the position and is a bottom 5 qb at this point. somehow, he is even worse than mark sanchez and sam darnold. we all can desperately try to find that 1 glimmer, but the truth is staring at us.

disagree a bit. outside of the 68 yarder to wilson, he threw for 100 yards? teams know he can’t throw and they stack the box, negating the run game. he holds the ball for eons and is indecisive. he is athletic and can scramble, but still can’t process the game, has no touch or feel for the position and is a bottom 5 qb at this point. somehow, he is even worse than mark sanchez and sam darnold. we all can desperately try to find that 1 glimmer, but the truth is staring at us.
Not disagreeing - and not making excuses as its his 3rd season but both the Buff game and at Dallas were very hard spots for any backup especially running for his life behind that awful OL. It doesnt get better anytime soon as Belichick loves to stomp this kid lol

Ive said all he has to be is Sanchez and so far he isnt but I dont see a better option out there at this point. I think they sink or swim with Zach and if he stinks as expected then he will finally be dropped and they can move on. However I did see a glimpse or 2 that I havent seen before - doubt its enough but with no other options trying to hope this season isnt the disaster it may be.

ha, so funny you mention Sanchez. I had the debate YEARS ago when Sanchez was the starter and the Jets were really good that he was a game manager and fine one but nothing more. Got into many debates about it. Today I was thinking about how good it would be for the Jets to have Sanchez back to just manage the ship with all that talent....

Not disagreeing - and not making excuses as its his 3rd season but both the Buff game and at Dallas were very hard spots for any backup especially running for his life behind that awful OL. It doesnt get better anytime soon as Belichick loves to stomp this kid lol

Ive said all he has to be is Sanchez and so far he isnt but I dont see a better option out there at this point. I think they sink or swim with Zach and if he stinks as expected then he will finally be dropped and they can move on. However I did see a glimpse or 2 that I havent seen before - doubt its enough but with no other options trying to hope this season isnt the disaster it may be.
i think they wanted 2 years out of rodgers and to be able to finish the wilson contract. sadly, wilson has to play. besides wilson, i am becoming increasingly suspicious of douglas and saleh. i don’t give douglas the 2019 season since he was hired in june 2019, but his 2020 and 2021 drafts are are D for disaster. 2022 looks to be the outlier. 2023 seems awful too. if mcdonald and tippmann can’t get on the field, what is the point? i don’t like what i hear out of the locker room already.
14-34 record for douglas and 12-24 or something for saleh? blecccch all around, but that’s what happens when you lose your qb.

i think they wanted 2 years out of rodgers and to be able to finish the wilson contract. sadly, wilson has to play. besides wilson, i am becoming increasingly suspicious of douglas and saleh. i don’t give douglas the 2019 season since he was hired in june 2019, but his 2020 and 2021 drafts are are D for disaster. 2022 looks to be the outlier. 2023 seems awful too. if mcdonald and tippmann can’t get on the field, what is the point? i don’t like what i hear out of the locker room already.
14-34 record for douglas and 12-24 or something for saleh? blecccch all around, but that’s what happens when you lose your qb.
Not to turn this into a Jets thread but it does effect Zach - agree completely with JD. Drafts besides the Grand Slam 2022 have been putrid and 2023 looking similar. OL is a disaster and that hasnt helped Zach at all. Bottom line is both JD/Saleh get a pass for this year as they lost their hand picked QB. Even if they win 1 game they both should be back next year.

Thought Zach did play a bit better overall, but a bit better is not going to win many games. He just never seems comfortable out there and seems like every passing down is a fire drill. Give me the stability of a Brock Purdy and we'd have something here.

I was wondering when Saleh would be on Death Row for head coaches, looks like he is being moved slowly into that wing for head coaches.
I definitely place the blame on those who are making these draft picks. Sure, Sauce Gardner was a greta pick but many would have grabbed him and reaped the benefits.

fyi, i would post elsewhere, but think i have the jet thread on ignore, because i ignore the OP.

saleh/douglas may get a pass, but people pulling douglas’ pants down seem to be overlooking his entire dreadful body of work here.

Well I am not a jets fan nor a Wilson fan. No hate just don't care except - I have Garrett Wilson. I really hope Zach can get the ball to him enough to not ruin my fantasy season. Yeah I know. Selfish but I'm honest. :wink:

Zach Wilson completed 18-of-36 attempts for 136 yards in the Jets’ 15-10 Week 3 loss against the Patriots.

Jets coaches came into their Week 3 game trumpeting new confidence for their third-year quarterback. Wilson appeared anything but confident in a demoralizing loss to a New England team that played poorly through much of the second half. Barely able to operate a pro-style offense, the Jets resorted to a run-heavy attack — facing stacked boxes — and the occasional trick play. They did their best to hide Wilson and still couldn’t. Wilson averaged 4.3 yards per attempt. Until Robert Saleh and the team gives up on this elaborate bit, no one in the New York offense will be fantasy relevant outside deep leagues.
- Rotoworld
At this point Jets have to wonder if maybe Ryan Tannehill or Andy Dalton is available. Hell, even Jameis Winston can run an offense.

dolphins scored 70 points and had 726 yards in offense today. for the season, hack and the jets are at 42 and 675. 6 of the 42 were a punt return.

The quick and easy solution is literally anybody else. Wilson is the lowest rated passer of 2021, 2022 and now 2023.
The problem is Boyle is literally one of the only QBs who would be worse than Zach. He was only brought in because he knows the playbook. Id be shocked if they turned to him. JD not immediately signing a vet QB the day after Rodgers went down is puzzling to say the least. 2 weeks later its literally malpractice

The quick and easy solution is literally anybody else. Wilson is the lowest rated passer of 2021, 2022 and now 2023.
The problem is Boyle is literally one of the only QBs who would be worse than Zach. He was only brought in because he knows the playbook. Id be shocked if they turned to him. JD not immediately signing a vet QB the day after Rodgers went down is puzzling to say the least. 2 weeks later its literally malpractice
And the absence of ARod only amplifies how abysmally bad Hackett is as an OC.

Jets HC Robert Saleh did not say whether or not the Jets would look into adding another quarterback this week after another bad outing by Zach Wilson.

When asked whether the Jets would consider adding another quarterback this week, Saleh said that is a question for GM Joe Douglas. He also said the box score won’t tell the whole story of what we’ve seen over the last two weeks, despite Wilson’s poor box score stats looking like some of the worst in the league. Saleh has already committed to starting Wilson in Week 4 when his team takes on the Chiefs on Sunday Night Football on NBC, where the country can watch them fall to 1-3.

Of note:

Zach Wilson 24 starts: 17 TD, 22 INT, 55.1% comp, 69.6 rating

JaMarcus Russell 25 starts: 18 TD, 23 INT, 52.1% comp, 65.2 rating

And JaMarcus was both on drugs and didn't watch film.

If the Jets stick with him, I think Saleh is gone at the end of the year. I don't think the Rodgers got hurt excuse is gonna save him, nor should it.

Of note:

If the Jets stick with him, I think Saleh is gone at the end of the year. I don't think the Rodgers got hurt excuse is gonna save him, nor should it.
frightening stats.....Wilson is by all means a good kid, works hard and has talent - hes just not an NFL QB. I dont get the refusal to at lest sign another decent option

As for Saleh - Its tougher - what do you want the guy to say? JD has given him Wilson and Boyle (who may be even worse) and refuses to bring in anyone else. Saleh has to take the arrows while JD hides in his tower until the bye week. Thats not right - also Rodgers is owed $38M next year and for all purposes is coming back. Do you think he is coming back to a new regime? I dont see it happening no matter what - this is going to be a very ugly mulligan year for both JD and Saleh.

Only one who will be gone is Zach as he wont be able to survive this year - its too bad as he really could have used a year as Rodgers caddy. He now may be out of football next year.

Of note:

frightening stats.....Wilson is by all means a good kid, works hard and has talent - hes just not an NFL QB. I dont get the refusal to at lest sign another decent option

As for Saleh - Its tougher - what do you want the guy to say? JD has given him Wilson and Boyle (who may be even worse) and refuses to bring in anyone else. Saleh has to take the arrows while JD hides in his tower until the bye week. Thats not right - also Rodgers is owed $38M next year and for all purposes is coming back. Do you think he is coming back to a new regime? I dont see it happening no matter what - this is going to be a very ugly mulligan year for both JD and Saleh.

Only one who will be gone is Zach as he wont be able to survive this year - its too bad as he really could have used a year as Rodgers caddy. He now may be out of football next year.
In my opinion, one of the most under-rated intangibles for evaluating prespective talent for the NFL is IQ in terms as how rapidly your brain gathers information and reaction. I think this is being taken more seriously lately. It seems to me that Zack Wilson's brain cannot function rapidly enough. This isn't to demean him in any way. It is what it is. I'm sure there is a pool of players out there that can throw and run with the best of them but cannot due it under pressure the NFL brings. They need to get a vet fast or they will be losing attendance for future home games. Lol

QB Trevor Siemian visited with the Jets.
After Zach Wilson’s latest disastrous outing in Week 3 against the Patriots, the Jets have to do their due diligence and bring in a free agent quarterback or two. Siemian, who started one game for the Jets in 2019 and got one start for the Bears last season, would be an upgrade over Wilson because he is a professional QB. Jets head coach Robert Saleh re-committed to Wilson after the team’s Week 4 loss.

After Zach Wilson’s latest disastrous outing in Week 3 against the Patriots, the Jets have to do their due diligence and bring in a free agent quarterback or two. Siemian, who started one game for the Jets in 2019 and got one start for the Bears last season, would be an upgrade over Wilson because he is a professional QB. Jets head coach Robert Saleh re-committed to Wilson after the team’s Week 4 loss.

savage

It seems to me teams should swap one lost cause for another to see if a different system, coaching or environment results in a positive change. It's unlikely, but better than cutting them from a contractual perspective. Say Zac Wilson for Davis Mills. Or whatever. There are some really tough places to play QB in the league for no reason other than the media/fan pressure. And NYC certainly is top 3 on that list. Zac looks awful to me. But there's likely a spot for him in the NFL as a backup.

Or NYJ should make a play for a better QB. Say give up a 2nd for Jacoby Brissett because they have a roster he could take to the playoffs.

My guess is they have been actively looking for someone since week 1. Of course they're not going to reveal that I possible but this is not getting ugly. Not bringing someone in is a terrible look to the Jet fans as well as the NfL.

Users who are viewing this thread