What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Quarterback Turnover This Offseason (1 Viewer)

Long Ball Larry

Footballguy
From today's Axios Newsletter:

NFL quarterback is the single most important job in sports, and this offseason could feature an unprecedented reshuffling at the position.

What they're saying: "There are roughly 10 QBs locked into starting jobs for [2021]," tweeted ESPN's Adam Schefter. "My over/under of teams changing QBs this offseason is 18. I'll go with the over."

My take [Kendall Baker] ... I think Schefty went a little overboard; I have 15 QBs locked into starting jobs. Still, that's less than half the league.

The locks (15):
Chiefs: Patrick Mahomes
Buccaneers: Tom Brady
Seahawks: Russell Wilson
Ravens: Lamar Jackson
Bills: Josh Allen
Browns: Baker Mayfield
Titans: Ryan Tannehill
Cardinals: Kyler Murray
Chargers: Justin Herbert
Bengals: Joe Burrow
Dolphins: Tua Tagovailoa
Vikings: Kirk Cousins
Raiders: Derek Carr
Broncos: Drew Lock
Giants: Daniel Jones

New QB needed (6):
Colts: Philip Rivers retired
Saints: Drew Brees is expected to retire
Lions: Matthew Stafford will be traded
Jaguars: Hello, Trevor Lawrence
Patriots: Cam Newton won't be back
Texans: Deshaun Watson reportedly wants out regardless of who Houston hires as head coach

Could upgrade (5):
49ers: Jimmy Garoppolo is a trade candidate
Rams: Won't commit to Jared Goff
Panthers: Won't commit to Teddy Bridgewater
Jets: Won't commit to Sam Darnold; have No. 2 pick
Bears: Mitchell Trubisky's future is in doubt

TBD (6):
Packers: Let the Aaron Rodgers speculation begin
Steelers: Ben Roethlisberger could retire
Falcons: Undecided on Matt Ryan's future; have No. 4 pick
Eagles: Carson Wentz/Jalen Hurts situation is a mess
Cowboys: Dak Prescott's contract drama continues
Washington: Alex Smith's future is far from certain

P.S. ... Notable free agent QBs include Jameis Winston, Ryan Fitzpatrick, Andy Dalton, Jacoby Brissett and Tyrod Taylor.
what say you?

Not a bad list, but the Skins should definitely be listed in at least the “could upgrade” tier, if not “New QB needed”. Smith will either retire or most likely be cut by WFT. Doubtful that he is back under center as a starter for them next year either way.

I'd love Rodgers to the 49ers. Making it right after passing him over for Alex Smith back in '05 would be a fitting end to a HOF career. That green room stint was brutal and I think it's always been in his head. There'd be championship potential for Shanahan and Rodgers. Maybe a couple of them. Choke down the pride and come home Aaron. 

Can't find any contract info on Kyle Allen but WFT would be smart to ensure he is on the roster in '21. They'll probably bring in a veteran but an open competition should be expected. Allen played well when he got the chance. 

I actually like Lock. I see a young QB forced to be a gunslinger. I believe he has those skills but it was a tall order to expect good things with Sutton falling at the start of the season and a rookie WR standing in. I get they have talent and Lock should have made better use of it, but it seemed like they were trying to get to KC's big play pace way to quick. I hope the Broncos figure out their coaching situation and put him in a better position to win. If he cuts down on the bone headed plays he will surprise. 

How many of the 16 NFC teams are actually comfortable with what they have at QB for next year and beyond???

Rams
Cardinals
Bucs 
Bears (maybe).

That it???

How many of the 16 NFC teams are actually comfortable with what they have at QB for next year and beyond???

Rams
Cardinals
Bucs 
Bears (maybe).

That it???
Cowboys are comfortable with Dak (but they shouldn't be). I think Rodgers ends up playing for the Packers next year. 

I will grant you that the young QBs in the AFC are light-years ahead of those in the NFC. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Cowboys are comfortable with Dak (but they shouldn't be). I think

Rodgers

ends up playing for the Packers next year. 

I will grant you that the young QBs in the AFC are light-years ahead of those in the NFC. 
Almost every AFC team is set though.  A few aren't, but the NFC qb confusion is huge.

Pitt, Cle, Indy, Hou & Denver are  unsettled in the AFC.

Was, NYG, Det, N.O., Car for sure in the NFC.

I could see turnover in Mia, maybe Philly, Minnesota, Atlanta, maybe, possibly Las Vegas (which would be a mistake IMO).

Rodgers and Wilson aren't locks to return to GB & Sea.

Obviously there isn't enough new, young talent out there so it will be a shuffling of QBs between these teams but there could be plenty of QB turnover in 2022.

Pitt, Cle, Indy, Hou & Denver are  unsettled in the AFC.

Was, NYG, Det, N.O., Car for sure in the NFC.
Seems like we’ll have one more year of Baker for Cle, Mills for Hou, Jones for NYG, and Goff for Det.

I think Wentz gets another shot, but I agree the rest are very open right now.

ETA: and then there are also the Rodgers and Wilson situations, as mentioned 

Seems like we’ll have one more year of Baker for Cle, Mills for Hou, Jones for NYG, and Goff for Det.

I think Wentz gets another shot, but I agree the rest are very open right now.

ETA: and then there are also the Rodgers and Wilson situations, as mentioned 
I agree about Baker but there is a possibility they decide he isn't worth the market level contract he will surely demand.

Wentz will probably be back because Indy paid a ton for him and they probably won't be able to afford an upgrade.

Not sure about Mills, just too much uncertainty in Houston. Ditto NYG IMO.

Most of these guys probably stay for at least another season because there won't be enough clear upgrades to move on from all of them.

I agree about Baker but there is a possibility they decide he isn't worth the market level contract he will surely demand.

Wentz will probably be back because Indy paid a ton for him and they probably won't be able to afford an upgrade.

Not sure about Mills, just too much uncertainty in Houston. Ditto NYG IMO.

Most of these guys probably stay for at least another season because there won't be enough clear upgrades to move on from all of them.
Agreed - I think all the guys have one year to prove it for the reasons stated. Baker probably has a year to improve or they let him walk. Mills is interesting - he played better than all the other, more highly touted rookie RBs (other than Mac Jones). But a new coach may have his own guy in mind.

The other x-factor in this is while there are some intriguing prospects in this year's draft it seems more old school where right now none of them look like they are ready to be a rookie starter and they will need time to sit and develop behind a veteran...that could change but probably not until camp where they get a chance to show their stuff but at that point most QB moves will have already been made.

Users who are viewing this thread