What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Quentin Griffin highlight package (1 Viewer)

Anyone ever tell you that if you are in a hole to stop digging?So you don't find it remotely significant that almost half of his carries were for 2 yds or less? That doesn't strike you as something that a featured RB can't have happen?Instead you rely on one good game at IND & one very mediocre game at GB to support the opinion that you think he can carry the rock full-time for the Donkeys?Actually, keep on going. I'm enjoying this immensely. It's always fun to watch someone like you drop trou like this.
So how do your numbers compare to other starting RB's in the league? What about rookie RB's last year? It's quite comical to see a guy spout out numbers and admit he doesn't know how they compare to others yet attempts to find meaning in them. :rotflmao:

Last edited by a moderator:
And somehow this gives you the perspective to judge people's size?
Ummmm - yes. It's not hard to see that he looks like an elementary school student in the huddle with the other players. A significant difference in size at that distance is impossible for anyone with any kind of visual perception not to notice.Next?

So how do your numbers compare to other starting RB's in the league? What about rookie RB's last year? It's quite comical to see a guy spout out numbers and admit he doesn't know what they compare to others yet attempts to find meaning in them. :rotflmao:
You tell me. That's the argument that you are making. Don't expect me to make it for you, you dolt.

You tell me. That's the argument that you are making. Don't expect me to make it for you, you dolt.
Opine on your own numbers, since you seem to derive such meaning from them and felt the need to bring them into this thread. Until we can make a comparison they're worth less than toilet paper around here. Now, get to work Pony.

Okay, I've had enough. This is like trying to argue with a tree stump, but it is entertaining for a while.

Ponyboy is from Denver?!Looks like Matrix got his ban lifted.
I don't think Maatrix was really from Denver. I was part of the Jason Swires=Matrix debates and I seem to remember that Matrix ended up living elsewhere.

Okay, I've had enough. This is like trying to argue with a tree stump, but it is entertaining for a while.
Your numbers didn't carry you far, nor did your "live" viewing of Quentin Griffin. So you don't like Griffin, I don't like Justin Fargas. So what. Difference is I don't claim that my "live" viewing of Justin Fargas imparts me with special knowledge others don't have.

Your numbers didn't carry you far, nor did your "live" viewing of Quentin Griffin. So you don't like Griffin, I don't like Justin Fargas. So what. Difference is I don't claim that my "live" viewing of Justin Fargas imparts me with special knowledge others don't have.
What are your reasons for not liking Justin Fargas? Just curious.

What are your reasons for not liking Justin Fargas? Just curious.
LOL! You're kidding, right?DMan should love Fargas. He had a 28.0 ypc average against CIN and used NY for 3.9 ypc in 16 carries. That NY game is better production that Griffin had against GB.

LOL! You're kidding, right?DMan should love Fargas. He had a 28.0 ypc average against CIN and used NY for 3.9 ypc in 16 carries. That NY game is better production that Griffin had against GB.
You must be a Fargas owner, you seriosuly didn't think he'd all of a sudden shake that injury prone label did you? Griffin has proven himself more of a workhorse than Fargas could ever be.

You must be a Fargas owner, you seriosuly didn't think he'd all of a sudden shake that injury prone label did you? Griffin has proven himself more of a workhorse than Fargas could ever be.
I'll tell you what, DMan. It says right here that Fargas outperforms Griffin in the regular season this coming year.

I'll tell you what, DMan. It says right here that Fargas outperforms Griffin in the regular season this coming year.
I don't know how. Fargas will be on the IR by Week 3.edit: I'll certainly take that bet.

Your numbers are meaningless unless we can compare them to other rookie RB's and established backs. You said so yourself that you didn't know how they compare to other RB's. You should opine on that. Get to work and bring us more numbers Pony Boy.Not worth much if you want the truth.
Hearst is better than Griffin Donkey-Man. What's with the boner for Q-Dog? :wacko:

Pony Boy, did you happen to ever catch Brian Westbrook "live"? 5'8", 200lbswhat about Warrick Dunn? 5'9", 180lbsKevin Faulk? 5'8", 202lbswhy can't Griffin have a similar degree of success? Dunn was a 1st round pick at his size and got a huge contract from Atlanta so I'm pretty sure Barry Sanders isn't the ONLY small back to become successful. Faulk was a 2nd round pick and has carried a heavy load for New England at times. Westbrook led the Eagles in rushing and scored 11 TDs.Besides, how many teams draft a RB in round 4 that has "no chance" to ever be a feature back, and doesn't really contribute on special teams? Why did the Broncos waste a pick on him if he's as bad as you suggest? I mean, surely they've seen him "live" much more than you and have an idea about how small he is and what little contact it takes to knock him down.But, given how useless he is...the only RB competition they have brought in so far after trading Portis is 33-year old Garrison Hearst on a 1-year contract? When I read between the lines here, I still see a team that thinks Griffin might be able to get it done.

Pony Boy, did you happen to ever catch Brian Westbrook "live"? 5'8", 200lbswhat about Warrick Dunn? 5'9", 180lbsKevin Faulk? 5'8", 202lbswhy can't Griffin have a similar degree of success? Dunn was a 1st round pick at his size and got a huge contract from Atlanta so I'm pretty sure Barry Sanders isn't the ONLY small back to become successful. Faulk was a 2nd round pick and has carried a heavy load for New England at times. Westbrook led the Eagles in rushing and scored 11 TDs.Besides, how many teams draft a RB in round 4 that has "no chance" to ever be a feature back, and doesn't really contribute on special teams? Why did the Broncos waste a pick on him if he's as bad as you suggest? I mean, surely they've seen him "live" much more than you and have an idea about how small he is and what little contact it takes to knock him down.But, given how useless he is...the only RB competition they have brought in so far after trading Portis is 33-year old Garrison Hearst on a 1-year contract? When I read between the lines here, I still see a team that thinks Griffin might be able to get it done.
I agree with you that Denver thinks Griffin can get it done, right up to the point where they draft another RB to be the future feature back.

Well there's this little thing called the NFL draft that might change your opinion. It's certainly possible that Griffin will be the featured back in Denver, but I haven't seen anything to suggest that it's likely.

Well there's this little thing called the NFL draft that might change your opinion. It's certainly possible that Griffin will be the featured back in Denver, but I haven't seen anything to suggest that it's likely.
I'm not saying it's a certainty. I just don't think it is as impossible as many suggest.Like others, I don't expect the Broncos to draft a RB in rounds 1 or 2. But, they most certainly could do that and that would change my opinion dramatically. Actually, my projections for Griffin took a substantial hit with the signing of Hearst.I just disagree with people who claim that he's useless and too small to ever be the primary ballcarrier in a RBBC system, when Dunn, Westbrook, and even K.Faulk to some extent have all done that at a similar size.I just find Griffin intriguing, and think some people around here might be writing him off too soon. I remember reading and hearing many people last summer claiming that Domanick Davis was drafted to be a kick returner and could never be anything more than a 3rd down/change of pace back. Fact is, nobody here knows what Griffin is capable of yet. But, I think the Broncos must like something about him if they drafted him. Odds are he's a backup RB at best, but there is always a slight chance that the kid could surprise everybody.Open minds are useful when evaluating talent rather than relying on preconceived notions of what a player is or is not capable of.

Deja vu all over again....I thought we already had this thread.It goes like this: DMan begins an argument and then gets completely lost as to what he was arguing in the first place. And then somewhere around page two Aaron brings up his list of slightly above mediocre small backs (Dunn,Faulk,Westbrook) to prove that Quentin can be a productive back...completely losing the real point of this whole QDog argument which is whether or not he can put up the numbers that Portis, Anderson and Davis put up before him. NOT whether he can be a change of pace back or an integral part of an RBBC.Oh and while I'm here... for the people that like to say Q has proven that he can't be a workhorse back while also making the ridiculous statement that Fargas is injury prone....ARE YOU SERIOUS??...Q broke his leg in his only NFL training camp so far. And DMAN quit bringing up the second half of the Colts games as some proof that Q is on the verge of greatness unless you're also gonna bring up his 9 yards as starter against the vaunted Detroit defense as proof that he will suck.

Deja vu all over again....I thought we already had this thread.

It goes like this: DMan begins an argument and then gets completely lost as to what he was arguing in the first place. And then somewhere around page two Aaron brings up his list of slightly above mediocre small backs (Dunn,Faulk,Westbrook) to prove that Quentin can be a productive back...completely losing the real point of this whole QDog argument which is whether or not he can put up the numbers that Portis, Anderson and Davis put up before him. NOT whether he can be a change of pace back or an integral part of an RBBC.

Oh and while I'm here... for the people that like to say Q has proven that he can't be a workhorse back while also making the ridiculous statement that Fargas is injury prone....

ARE YOU SERIOUS??...Q broke his leg in his only NFL training camp so far.

And DMAN quit bringing up the second half of the Colts games as some proof that Q is on the verge of greatness unless you're also gonna bring up his 9 yards as starter against the vaunted Detroit defense as proof that he will suck.
you forgot the he'll hide from the defenders behind the line until it's time to burst into the secondary argument. That's my favorite one.

And then somewhere around page two Aaron brings up his list of slightly above mediocre small backs (Dunn,Faulk,Westbrook) to prove that Quentin can be a productive back...completely losing the real point of this whole QDog argument which is whether or not he can put up the numbers that Portis, Anderson and Davis put up before him. NOT whether he can be a change of pace back or an integral part of an RBBC.
First, if people keep bringing up Quentin Griffin threads, it's obvious they haven't read the earlier ones so I feel oddly compelled to keep bringing up the relevant comparison players. My point is that Barry Sanders is not the only small back to ever be moderately successful as an NFL RB, which people often fail to grasp in these debates.Second, why do you get to decide what the point of the debate is about? I don't think I've seen anyone in this thread (or anywhere else really) saying that Griffin will put up numbers similar to Clinton Portis, Mike Anderson, or Terrell Davis. That is silly talk and I won't defend those people if you point them out to me.

As I see it, the POINT of having this discussion again is to try and determine what Griffin's value is and how high his upside might go. Some people think his upside is no better than a simple change of pace (i.e., backup) RB that would be lucky to get 100 touches in a season. OTOH, I happen to think he could lead the Broncos in rushing as part of a RBBC, just as other smaller backs have done in the past few years.

Whether that is likely or not is another question, and involves total speculation on who the Broncos will draft. I've found that a person's opinion on who the Broncos will draft greatly influences their opinion of Griffin and vice versa. Thus, all I'm disagreeing with is people who suggest that Griffin's lack of height make him worthless and not even a consideration for a starting RB job.

Pony Boy, did you happen to ever catch Brian Westbrook "live"? 5'8", 200lbs

what about Warrick Dunn? 5'9", 180lbs

Kevin Faulk? 5'8", 202lbs

why can't Griffin have a similar degree of success? Dunn was a 1st round pick at his size and got a huge contract from Atlanta so I'm pretty sure Barry Sanders isn't the ONLY small back to become successful. Faulk was a 2nd round pick and has carried a heavy load for New England at times. Westbrook led the Eagles in rushing and scored 11 TDs.
You're kidding, right?Here are your shining examples of non-Sanders tiny RBs who have the ability to be a featured RB:

Westbrook career

5.43 rush att/gm; 26.9 ypg rushing; 0.23 rush TD/gm

Dunn career

14.0 rush att/gm; 56.9 ypg rushing; 0.26 rush TD/gm

Faulk career

6.97 rush att/gm; 26.0 ypg rushing; 0.11 rush TD/gm

And Westbrook lead the Eagles last year in rushing - with a whopping 613 yds. Is this the kind of "success" that you are projecting for Griffin? I have a sneaking suspicion that those numbers don't quite cut it as a featured RB in DEN.

:rolleyes:

DMan, time to put up or shut up. You agreed to the bet of $50, Fargas vs Griffin. Should we gage their rushing productivity by FF standards? 6 ppTD; 0.1 ppy rushing?

You're kidding, right?

Here are your shining examples of non-Sanders tiny RBs who have the ability to be a featured RB:

Westbrook career

5.43 rush att/gm; 26.9 ypg rushing; 0.23 rush TD/gm

Dunn career

14.0 rush att/gm; 56.9 ypg rushing; 0.26 rush TD/gm

Faulk career

6.97 rush att/gm; 26.0 ypg rushing; 0.11 rush TD/gm

And Westbrook lead the Eagles last year in rushing - with a whopping 613 yds. Is this the kind of "success" that you are projecting for Griffin? I have a sneaking suspicion that those numbers don't quite cut it as a featured RB in DEN.

:rolleyes:
Brian Westbrook 2003: 7.8 carries/gm, 2.47 rec/gm, 63 yds/gm, .73TD/gmHe got 10 touches a game and nearly averaged a TD/game despite playing in a 3-way RBBC.

Warrick Dunn: 5 seasons of 195 or more rush attempts. End of season rank in fantasy points among RBs: #13, #19, #21, #15, #23, #19, #27 (inj.), which puts him square into solid RB2 range despite constantly playing in a RBBC at 180lbs. He's also gone to 2 Pro Bowls.

Kevin Faulk: 2 seasons of over 160 carries.

I'm just pointing out these players as a comparison for trying to figure out what Griffin's possible upside might be. Some people point to Barry Sanders and I think that is unreasonable. These types of numbers are much more reasonable and attainable for him, and they would make him a valuable fantasy player.

I'm really puzzled why everybody seems to take 2 such extreme sides in the Griffin debates. It seems people either think he is too small and will never amount to anything, or else they think he's the second coming of Barry Sanders and will run wild in the Broncos offense. I think, as with most things in life, the truth will lie somewhere in the middle.

Aaron I agree with your overall point that a small back can be productive for many years. But productive and a viable fantasy starter are two different things. You know and I know that Quentin Griffin is not generating 3 and 4 page discussions because people think he will be a good rbbc back who might be a viable #3 RB for their fantasy team...this discussion has always been the people that believe that he can carry on the recent Denver RB legacy versus the people that know the chances of a small back putting up those kind of numbers are very slim considering who the only other small man to do it is(i won't mention his name). The last big thread we had was because the first question on the board was whether QDog could be a 1500 yard back...I only mentioned that the chances of a small back putting up those kind of numbers based on history is so small(no pun intended0 thats its not even worth talking about. Again, agree that he can squeak a mediocre(AKA productive) career but the possibility that he can break out big this season is probably as small as that new Osh Kosh shoe contract he just signed.

The only thing I have to say about the video is that I love his non-celebratory attitude. I have a soft spot in my heart for players who toss the ball to the refs after scoring a TD.

Saying Griffin is too small to be a starting RB is ridiculous. But it's just as ridiculous to even mention his name with Barry Sanders. Size is the only comparison they share. Griffin does not have that wiggle that made Barry arguably one of the best RB's ever and one of the hardest to tackle. I don't think Griffin displays good field vision and he looks hesitant at times and doesn't look like he's sure of where he wants to go.Fantasy wise, I think he'll be lucky to finish with the 2nd most fantasy points amongst RB's on his team, maybe even 3rd.

the only RB competition they have brought in so far after trading Portis is 33-year old Garrison Hearst on a 1-year contract? When I read between the lines here, I still see a team that thinks Griffin might be able to get it done.
I don't think you bring in a Garrison Hearst type back if you think you have a guy on your roster who can carry the load, especially if it's a smallish type back. Hearst is not a goalline back, never has been, so that'snot why he was brought in. He';s an every down back, and Griffin is more suited to a third down role than Hearst. So why bring Hearst in? Obviously beause you don't think Griffin can do it.

So why bring Hearst in? Obviously beause you don't think Griffin can do it.
Because you don't know if Griffin can do it. If you're no 95% sure Griffin can handle the load, it's smart to bring in a guy like Hearst for the vet minimum. This is how it always works with unproven players, it has little to do with what they think of Griffin. You are seeing signs that aren't there.

Because you don't know if Griffin can do it. If you're no 95% sure Griffin can handle the load, it's smart to bring in a guy like Hearst for the vet minimum. This is how it always works with unproven players, it has little to do with what they think of Griffin. You are seeing signs that aren't there.
I don't buy it - you are ignoring signs that are extremely evident.If you are only 95% sure Griff can handle it, you bring in a Zeroue, Jamel White, Antowain Smith or another sub-starter-quality RB who has shown potential enough to start a few games, but isn't going to expect the immediate starting role.You don't bring in a vet who lost his starting job to injury on a cap-strapped rebuilding team. You don't bring in a guy who was on pace to break 1,000 yards while splitting time.And on top of it all, you don't bring in a guy who is a classic Shanahan fave from Georgia who is a tremendous one cut runner who will excel in the typical Denver system.

And on top of it all, you don't bring in a guy who is a classic Shanahan fave from Georgia who is a tremendous one cut runner who will excel in the typical Denver system.
And I'll ask it again, why not? Let's suppose it's two years ago, and Shanahan has a youngster that we will all agree, in hindsight, had potential--Clinton Portis. You get a call from Garrison Heart, an aging but still good veteran, a great team player and professional, who says that he will sign with your team for the minimum, as long as he has a real chance to compete for the starting job. Who wouldn't take that? It's a free lunch. It doesn't matter if the youngster is the next Barry Sanders or the next Curtis Enis--it can't hurt to have a guy like Hearst at virtually no cost.Had they paid Hearst $2 million per year, or brought in a 29 year old Corey Dillon or something, I would have a different opinion.Shanahan, more than any other coach I can think of, likes to have 2-3-4 guys with low salary cap hits and the talent to do OK in his system, and have them duke it out over the offseason to see who is best. With Hearst, Griffin, Anderson and possibly a rookie, he has exactly that.

And I'll ask it again, why not?

Let's suppose it's two years ago, and Shanahan has a youngster that we will all agree, in hindsight, had potential--Clinton Portis. You get a call from Garrison Heart, an aging but still good veteran, a great team player and professional, who says that he will sign with your team for the minimum, as long as he has a real chance to compete for the starting job.
Chemistry....And I believe Shanny soughtout Hearst, not the other way around

If any RB calls and says hey I'll sgn for the minimum just to play in your system, I think you'd probably sign them, but I don't believe that's what happenedin DEN...

Regardless, I think what we'll see is a rookie RB drafted to be groomed, Hearst to start, and Griffin to be a COP...

just editing to add this quote I found interesting from Denver Post

Hearst boasts the experience Griffin and Galloway lack, in addition to traits the Broncos have sought in this offseason's acquisitions.

"Most people think you just get a running back," Shanahan said. "People don't understand what a leader this guy is in the locker room and what a complete player he is. The question is, when he comes in, how much can you play him? You don't want to overwork him, but at the same time you want him to go out there and compete, and until I see what type of shape he's in and what he can do, I can't tell you for sure.

"But I do know one thing: Players keep coming up to me from San Francisco and different teams, saying, 'Hey, you've got a really good guy."'

So why bring Hearst in? Obviously beause you don't think Griffin can do it.
I think folks are reading too much into the Hearst signing. Folks seem to forget that at the time Denver brought Hearst in, Denver had nothing at RB. Portis ws gone. Anderson is a fullback & that's where Shanny wants him. They couldn't know if they would get their guy in the draft. Regardless of whether they like or don't like Griffin, he was all they had at RB that had any kind of experience. Hearst was a smart pickup whether they really like Griffin or not.Personally I think it unlikely Hearst will be a factor. When a 32 year old vet coming off an injury signs for the vet. minimum, the question is usually will he make the team, not will he start. Plus Shanny seems to prefer young explosive backs over reliable, less explosive, vets.

Personally I think it unlikely Hearst will be a factor. When a 32 year old vet coming off an injury signs for the vet. minimum, the question is usually will he make the team, not will he start.
where have i seen this exact thing before? :mellow:

Users who are viewing this thread