What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

**Rams at Lions (-3, 51.5), SNF Wild Card Weekend Game #5** (2 Viewers)

Not sure if any of you noticed but Tirico used the same exact call at the end of the Lions game as he did when my Bengals ended their way too long playoff losing skid against the Raiders which was really cool. :wub:

-QG

Next game on Peacock. First round was a success.

>>With an average of 23 M viewers for Dolphins-KC on Peacock, NBC says yesterday was the largest U.S. usage of Internet ever in one day<<

I vote that Peacock has the largest usage of hyperbole ever in one day :rolleyes:
Retention will be the key for Peacock.
Well. Now they’re dropping gb oppenheimer Feb 16th. That will definitely retain a few

Honestly that blown DPI was literally the win or loss.

It’s insane that’s not reviewable by an independant crew in NY.

It was 1st and goal at the ~15? Absolute game-changing missed call.
I have rarely commented about bad calls in over 20 years here, but that one really bugs me. He stretched his shirt, prevented the catch. Easy peasy call, Rams probably win. Sucks for LA, but it's just one bad call and surely a few went against the Lions. This one just kinda decided the game, imo. Oh well, it's the NFL.
the obvious encroachment non call early in the game completely altered the course of the game as well. :ptts:

what a fun game to watch!! go lions
These two calls were not the same significance.
They kind of were. The encroachment call would have given the Lions a first down just outside of FG range. In both cases we are talking about setting teams up with first downs in position to add points.
Not to mention how much more time they could have taken off the clock.

Tough loss for my Rams. 2 really good teams left it all on the field. One of the best playoff games in a long time and the Goff/Stafford script was great. Even with the loss, it’ cemented how great McVay is turning this team around. Listening to him in the war room with the Puka pick shows how much this guy gets it. I think he’s the best HC in the league. Reid is great. Shanahan deserves respect. But I think McVay is the best. Almost never disagree with his decisions and his team always plays hard. He puts them in positions to succeed

Tough loss for my Rams. 2 really good teams left it all on the field. One of the best playoff games in a long time and the Goff/Stafford script was great. Even with the loss, it’ cemented how great McVay is turning this team around. Listening to him in the war room with the Puka pick shows how much this guy gets it. I think he’s the best HC in the league. Reid is great. Shanahan deserves respect. But I think McVay is the best. Almost never disagree with his decisions and his team always plays hard. He puts them in positions to succeed
Generally agree but delays getting two plays in did waste two crucial TOs.

I agree with all of this but he definitely screwed up that final drive with 4 minutes to go. Can’t punt there with one timeout.

I agree with all of this but he definitely screwed up that final drive with 4 minutes to go. Can’t punt there with one timeout.
Totally agree. Will take my chances with 4th and 14 vs taking a decent chance of not getting the ball back. Plus, they could have run a safer pass on 3rd down to make the 4th down play more manageable. Bad decision making

Totally agree. Will take my chances with 4th and 14 vs taking a decent chance of not getting the ball back. Plus, they could have run a safer pass on 3rd down to make the 4th down play more manageable. Bad decision making

McVey calls more timeouts to avoid a 5 yard penalty than anyone in the league, by far. On those two second half possessions they had to punt on one and got a FG on the other. That was ginormous in the end game, it almost certainly cost them a possession.

I also thought it was curious they just ran two rushing plays at the end of the first half. Granted they had 90 yards to go but 59 seconds with 3 timeouts is an eternity when you have Stafford at the helm. They had scored TDs on their previous two possessions, you don't even want to try something? Odd.

But overall, great coach. A year ago he was having an existential crisis and didn't know if he wanted to keep coaching. Once he made his mind up he was all in - as was Matthew. Considering how much they have turned over the roster in the last two years that was a pretty quick bounce back.

Also appreciate his postgame comments about Goff:

Coach Sean McVay addressed the media after the game and discussed the loss, giving credit to Dan Campbell and Detroit for their accomplishment. When asked about the quarterback battle between Stafford and Goff, he had nothing but praise for his former quarterback.

“I think there’s a lot made of it, but I’m really happy for him. Obviously, we wanted to come away with the win but he’s done a great job. I think the grit, the resilience and the way he’s done his thing here over the last three years, I’m happy for Jared,” said McVay during his postgame press conference. “I’m certainly appreciative of the four years we had together, and I wouldn’t want anyone else as my quarterback other than Matthew Stafford.”

Class act.

I agree, McVeigh is a good HC.

To me the Puka pick by the Rams, and even the St Brown pick by the Lions has some good fortune to both. If the Rams and Lions thought highly of either player they would have taken them much earlier and not risked losing them. When it gets to the 4th and 5th round you are basically rolling the dice on players.

When these picks pan out it is a gift.

To me the Puka pick by the Rams.... If the Rams and Lions thought highly of either player they would have taken them much earlier and not risked losing them. When it gets to the 4th and 5th round you are basically rolling the dice on players.

Watch the vid I posted on the previous page of the Nucua pick. They were ridiculously high on him. They knew they had until the 6th round to take him. They knew how good he was. They knew exactly how they were going to use him. They knew he tested poorly but was one of the best receivers in the draft. It's a master class of scouting, team fit, and draft day strategy. They didn't risk waiting and took him in the 5th.

To me the Puka pick by the Rams.... If the Rams and Lions thought highly of either player they would have taken them much earlier and not risked losing them. When it gets to the 4th and 5th round you are basically rolling the dice on players.

Watch the vid I posted on the previous page of the Nucua pick. They knew they had until the 6th round to take him. They knew how good he was. They knew exactly how they were going to use him. They didn't risk waiting and took him in the 5th.

Same thing with Brad Holmes. Took Penei Day 1. Then Onwuzurike, McNeil & Melifonwu Day 2. The owner asked about a WR & Holmes told her “we’ve got this guy (ARSB) at the top of our board but he’ll still be there.” Took him Day 3 at 112 & traded up to take Derek Barnes with the next pick.

5 starters & a rotational guy in the first 6 picks of his first draft.

Watch the vid I posted on the previous page of the Nucua pick. They were ridiculously high on him. They knew they had until the 6th round to take him. They knew how good he was. They knew exactly how they were going to use him. They knew he tested poorly but was one of the best receivers in the draft. It's a master class of scouting, team fit, and draft day strategy. They didn't risk waiting and took him in the 5th.

If they knew he would be this good they would have taken him in the first and never looked back! :wink:

If they knew he would be this good they would have taken him in the first and never looked back! :wink:
The logic makes no sense. You maximize your draft capitol by drafting players as late aa possible.

Except you have no way of knowing that the guy is actually going to last to the fifth round. Some other team may see the same things you do and snag him even earlier.

Watch the vid I posted on the previous page of the Nucua pick. They knew they had until the 6th round to take him. They knew how good he was. They knew exactly how they were going to use him. They didn't risk waiting and took him in the 5th.

Same thing with Brad Holmes. Took Penei Day 1. Then Onwuzurike, McNeil & Melifonwu Day 2. The owner asked about a WR & Holmes told her “we’ve got this guy (ARSB) at the top of our board but he’ll still be there.” Took him Day 3 at 112 & traded up to take Derek Barnes with the next pick.

5 starters & a rotational guy in the first 6 picks of his first draft.

Yeah, I remember my scouting report on Ahman-Ra. I'm a UCLA guy but I saw most of his college games in this media market. I didn't like St. Brown. He was too slow for his size and rounded out his routes. He was lucky to be big part of the USC scheme but really not an NFL talent. He was also a jerk who liked picking fights on campus and on the field. Thought he could kick everyone's ***. He wasn't liked much and didn't play nice with others. Not someone you want in the locker room. Hard pass for me. There's much better options. /uclaguy

The logic makes no sense. You maximize your draft capitol by drafting players as late aa possible.

Of course you do, just saying if they thought so highly of him they never would have waited that long. To wait until the 5th round, and their third 5th round pick at that makes it clear they thought he would be a project type of WR. I mean they took Stetson Bennett in front of him in the 5th.

McVey calls more timeouts to avoid a 5 yard penalty than anyone in the league, by far. On those two second half possessions they had to punt on one and got a FG on the other. That was ginormous in the end game, it almost certainly cost them a possession.

I also thought it was curious they just ran two rushing plays at the end of the first half. Granted they had 90 yards to go but 59 seconds with 3 timeouts is an eternity when you have Stafford at the helm. They had scored TDs on their previous two possessions, you don't even want to try something? Odd.

But overall, great coach. A year ago he was having an existential crisis and didn't know if he wanted to keep coaching. Once he made his mind up he was all in - as was Matthew. Considering how much they have turned over the roster in the last two years that was a pretty quick bounce back.

Coach Sean McVay addressed the media after the game and discussed the loss, giving credit to Dan Campbell and Detroit for their accomplishment. When asked about the quarterback battle between Stafford and Goff, he had nothing but praise for his former quarterback.

“I think there’s a lot made of it, but I’m really happy for him. Obviously, we wanted to come away with the win but he’s done a great job. I think the grit, the resilience and the way he’s done his thing here over the last three years, I’m happy for Jared,” said McVay during his postgame press conference. “I’m certainly appreciative of the four years we had together, and I wouldn’t want anyone else as my quarterback other than Matthew Stafford.”

Class act.

McVay’s words were classy. I have to say I was disappointed in Matthews tone after the game. When told about McVay’s words about Detroit, its coaching staff and players he was asked if he felt the same, and replied very curtly and pointedly with ‘for the players’.

I’ve never ever seen that side of him with regards to anything and never had a hint of him not being massively appreciative of all the support form Detroit. We backed him so much during his Rams Super Bowl run as well despite what it meant for the pick of theirs that we owned. Was it the boos when he ran on to the pitch ? He said ‘it was a playoff atmosphere’ when asked about that. Did Kelly get sent abuse online ? I just found it very strange.

**** it

Class act.

McVay’s words were classy. I have to say I was disappointed in Matthews tone after the game. When told about McVay’s words about Detroit, its coaching staff and players he was asked if he felt the same, and replied very curtly and pointedly with ‘for the players’.

I’ve never ever seen that side of him with regards to anything and never had a hint of him not being massively appreciative of all the support form Detroit. We backed him so much during his Rams Super Bowl run as well despite what it meant for the pick of theirs that we owned. Was it the boos when he ran on to the pitch ? He said ‘it was a playoff atmosphere’ when asked about that. Did Kelly get sent abuse online ? I just found it very strange.

**** it

Stafford did seem bitter. Not sure why unless he thought going in that he would tear up Detroit's pass D. Stafford had a good game, so did Goff.

LAs fan base is horrible. They are not nearly as into it as Detroit's and many other NFL cities. Maybe he missed the Ford Field energy and was thinking "What if"?

Class act.

**** it

Stafford did seem bitter. Not sure why unless he thought going in that he would tear up Detroit's pass D. Stafford had a good game, so did Goff.

LAs fan base is horrible. They are not nearly as into it as Detroit's and many other NFL cities. Maybe he missed the Ford Field energy and was thinking "What if"?
Stafford bent over backwards to be nice and appreciate the Defroit fan base and the city if Detroit. I think being booed so heavily hurt him. He probably should understand he was the enemy for the biggest game in Ford Field history.

Class act.

**** it

Haven't seen the video, but I'm generally willing to give a guy a pass after a hard-fought loss that ended his season. I still bear him no ill will

I think McVay is a fantastic coach, and I'm guessing a good chunk of the league would snap him up if the Rams were ever dumb enough to let him go, but he's starting to resemble early-career Andy Reid in terms of being good at everything except in-game management (Shanahan is another offensive genius who is weak in that area).

I think McVay is a fantastic coach, and I'm guessing a good chunk of the league would snap him up if the Rams were ever dumb enough to let him go, but he's starting to resemble early-career Andy Reid in terms of being good at everything except in-game management
Except that McVay has already won a SB and it took Reid til his 20th season as a HC (and an all universe QB) to win his first.

I think McVay is a fantastic coach, and I'm guessing a good chunk of the league would snap him up if the Rams were ever dumb enough to let him go, but he's starting to resemble early-career Andy Reid in terms of being good at everything except in-game management
Except that McVay has already won a SB and it took Reid til his 20th season as a HC (and an all universe QB) to win his first.

While true, it doesn't address what ignatius is noting. I think McVay is a great coach, maybe the best in the league. On the short list for sure. But he does make mistakes with clock management. :shrug:

While true, it doesn't address what ignatius is noting. I think McVay is a great coach, maybe the best in the league. On the short list for sure. But he does make mistakes with clock management. :shrug:
Fair point.

Right, I could have been clearer that I wasn't drawing a one-to-one comparison of their careers. And certainly with Reid, his lack of SB wins early in his career led to more frustration with his in-game management, whereas McVay probably has a much longer leash with Rams fans. But I recall even earlier in his career that he was fairly passive on 4th-down calls and often made sub-optimal decisions.

It was more an observation that you can be a genius in one area while simultaneously being sub-par in others.

Users who are viewing this thread