What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Ramsey in NY? (1 Viewer)

Kiddnets

Footballguy
Reported that Ramsey is in NY today with the JEts on ESPN

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2359635

Fatso and Fruitloops (Mike and the Dog to non NYers) report that Wash wants a 6th rder for him and Jets may pull the trigger.

Hope he doesn't leave NY - 6th rder is a good deal IMO. Gives the Jets a solid young prospect to compete with Chad. But also cheap enough to still go with a QB at #4 or jusy grab Brick. Like having options!

Seems realistic. Good value for the Jets. Washington may opt to shop Ramsey around once the Jets are pretty close to committing a 6th round pick.

From a fantasy point and owner of Ramsey - I think I would like to see him with whichever team he has the most chance of starting.

Soon-to-be ex-'Skin Ramsey to visit Jets, Miami, Lions

John Clayton

3/8/2006

The Redskins have given quarterback Patrick Ramsey permission to visit the New York Jets, Detroit Lions and the Miami Dolphins as part of a possible trade.

Ramsey has been shopped in trade discussions over the past few weeks but the Redskins had been asking for a second-round pick. Now, he likely will be traded in the next week for a draft choice in the second day of the draft.

Ramsey is in New York visiting the Jets on Wednesday and is in the process of scheduling visits with the Lions and Dolphins.

A former first-round choice, Ramsey lost the Redskins starting quarterback job to Mark Brunell in the past two seasons under Joe Gibbs.

The Redskins are trying to develop first-round choice Jason Campbell into a starter this season so moving Ramsey will give Campbell a better chance to develop and get time in practice and in games.

http://sports.espn.go.com

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I hope he isn't given the chance to leave New York either. Ramsey has a strong arm and has shown his toughness after being nearly destoyed by Spurrier's system. I have no faith that Chad can ever be a successful NFL QB again. Ramsey for a sixth rounder would make this Jets fan extremely happy.

Is it me or does a 6th rounder seem ridiculously low? He was a first rounder and actually has played well at times when he started, even for Spurrier. The article says this:

Ramsey has been shopped in trade discussions over the past few weeks but the Redskins had been asking for a second-round pick. Now, he likely will be traded in the next week for a draft choice in the second day of the draft.
which sure doesn't seem like a 6th rounder will do. I understand that the 6th rounder came from a different source. I guess if the Redskins are desperate, but seems like they could easily get higher than a 6th from some of the more QB strapped teams.

I'd be shocked if Gibbs parts with Ramsey for less than a 4th.

Last edited by a moderator:
I agree. Seems like he'd be worth atleast a 3rd or 4th rounder. He's a young QB prospect.
He's worth it, but the Redskins are looking at cutting him. They might as well get something for him and the Jets don't have to worry about getting him as a free agent. Good deal all-around.

6th is a joke. Should be a 4th.
And the Jets would say "fine, we'll get him for nothing after you guys cut him".The Dolphins were lucky to get a 2nd for Surtain and he's a Pro Bowl caliber player. The only reason that went through is that KC was desperate for a CB and didn't want to risk losing him to another team in free agency.

Is it me or does a 6th rounder seem ridiculously low? He was a first rounder and actually has played well at times when he started, even for Spurrier. The article says this:

which sure doesn't seem like a 6th rounder will do. I understand that the 6th rounder came from a different source. I guess if the Redskins are desperate, but seems like they could easily get higher than a 6th from some of the more QB strapped teams.
It's is low. While I'm certain they won't get a 2nd for him, there are multiple suiters out there and a lot of need for starting caliber QB's. I've hoped for a 3rd rounder but have thought over time that a 4th was more likely. The story about the 6th may simply have been what the Jets were (presently) offering.

I agree. Seems like he'd be worth atleast a 3rd or 4th rounder. He's a young QB prospect.
He's worth it, but the Redskins are looking at cutting him. They might as well get something for him and the Jets don't have to worry about getting him as a free agent. Good deal all-around.
The funny thing that nobody talks about is that Ramsey's cap number and salary in his final year are all affordable; in theory the team could keep him.

6th rounder is a no brainer. hell, a 5th would be a no brainer. 4th id have to think about it, but i think the jets would still do it. ramsey got a bad deal in washington.

Good deal for Jets if this is the case. I'm not a fan of Ramsey and hope he ends up in the AFC East because I'd much rather that a team like Miami or NYJ have him instead of a big time QB. Yet, it's worth a 6th rounder if you're the Jets because there is the possibility a change of address could be good for the kid and they have other holes to fill. Between Ramsey and Pennington they could catch a break.

I agree with most of what tlef316 said

Got a Q though-

Team drafts first round talent at QB. He gets his feet wet but anyone and everyone knows it's gonna take a few years for him to be comfy and play the way he can.

(In theory and please bare with me)

Why is Ramsey worth SO much less than 1st round QBs this year (=<Cutler) if he's gotten the bad learning years outta the way?

Got a Q though-

Team drafts first round talent at QB. He gets his feet wet but anyone and everyone knows it's gonna take a few years for him to be comfy and play the way he can.

Why is Ramsey worth SO much less than 1st round QBs this year (=<Cutler) if he's gotten the bad learning years outta the way?
Demand.

Got a Q though-

Maybe because other teams have seen him and they're just not impressed. This kid was not a can't miss prospect coming out of college. It's not like he was earmarked for greatness. He also was in a very bad situation with Spurrier and appeared to be in neutral while with Gibbs and the development doesn't seem to be progressing too well. Just because he's been in the league doesn't mean his upside is better than a kid like Cutler. He has been exposed to NFL play but that doesn't automatically mean he'll be a good QB. From what I've seen of him he doesn't look to have much upside and he's not been around the block enough to be a veteran leader type of QB that can settle things down for a few years. Right now he's a young QB that is still a question mark and I'm not surprised at all that teams aren't knocking down the door to acquire him.

I love this move for the Jets.. I think that we haven't seen everything that Ramsey can do and with an offensive coach like Schottenheimer, he might have a similar development path as Drew Breese

Got a Q though-

He hasn't played to well.And IMHO, If a Hall of Fame coach is kicking you to the curb, that says all other teams need to know about you. Right or Wrong.

Got a Q though-

He hasn't played to well.And IMHO, If a Hall of Fame coach is kicking you to the curb, that says all other teams need to know about you. Right or Wrong.
and a 6th rnd pick asking price isn't exactly complimentary.

Got a Q though-

Maybe because other teams have seen him and they're just not impressed. This kid was not a can't miss prospect coming out of college. It's not like he was earmarked for greatness. He also was in a very bad situation with Spurrier and appeared to be in neutral while with Gibbs and the development doesn't seem to be progressing too well. Just because he's been in the league doesn't mean his upside is better than a kid like Cutler. He has been exposed to NFL play but that doesn't automatically mean he'll be a good QB. From what I've seen of him he doesn't look to have much upside and he's not been around the block enough to be a veteran leader type of QB that can settle things down for a few years. Right now he's a young QB that is still a question mark and I'm not surprised at all that teams aren't knocking down the door to acquire him.
What young QB looks good when he's struggling though?2 years back Eli wasn't exactly adored here. Brees not long before that. Alex Smith love sure died fast. Couldn't teams also take having played for Spurrier+Gibbs as a positive?

ETA you're making me think Rivers(who has "no" experience) is better off than guys that do have experience because he hasn't been exposed. Almost like it's a bad move for a young QB to play before his 3rd 4th year.

March 8, 2006 4:03 PM ET - Fanball

Redskins: Ramsey to visit Jets, Lions and Dolphins

The News

Redskins quarterback Patrick Ramsey is going on a trade-inducing tour. The team has given the former first-round pick permission to visit other clubs, and he'll begin by meeting with the Jets on Wednesday. Ramsey is also in the process of scheduling trips to Detroit and Miami, ESPN.com's John Clayton reported. Clayton speculates that Ramsey will likely be dealt next week.

Our View

Previous reports have the Redskins asking for a second or third-round pick in exchange for Ramsey, and with three teams involved, there's better chance that Washington gets top price. Ramsey's fantasy value will obviously fluctuate depending on where he lands

Got a Q though-

What young QB looks good when he's struggling though?2 years back Eli wasn't exactly adored here. Brees not long before that. Alex Smith love sure died fast. Couldn't teams also take having played for Spurrier+Gibbs as a positive?

ETA you're making me think Rivers(who has "no" experience) is better off than guys that do have experience because he hasn't been exposed. Almost like it's a bad move for a young QB to play before his 3rd 4th year.
Bri, I really think you should go out and get him on every fantasy team you own. But don't offer a late pick offer a 1st. :D

Heard Kiper on the ESPN this morning.

He thinks that Patrick Ramsey for a mid round pick is excellent value.

He feels that Ramsey has a good arm,is tough and smart enough to be starter quality in the NFL,,the downside is his lack of mobility..so you must have above average pass protection.

He thinks ....grab Ramsey ...draft Dbrick and you would have the makings of a good passing attack.

On other notes

Kiper thinks Cutler is a clear mid first round pick who will go top ten because of demand.

He feels that the DE Edwards ..who is going top 6 0r 7 would have been the first pick in any draft of last 5 years ..the top of this draft is insanely loaded.

As for JETS ...Mawae was cut not for money or his Union affliation ..it was because with Mawae and Kendall they have two capable but undersized vets ..they decided to keep one and upgrade the size of the interior for more power.

Jets blue print -

Ramsey for a 5th or 6th rd pick

Brick with the #4

Trade Abe for a mid 1st rd pick - draft D'Angelo Williams or L. White

2nd rd pick - Mangold, C

Gives the Jets a new young offense with much more potential - let Ramsey and Chad duke it out to start. If they both stink Jets should have a shot at Brady Quinn in 2007 draft.

Jets blue print -

Brick with the #4

2nd rd pick - Mangold, C

Gives the Jets a new young offense with much more potential - let Ramsey and Chad duke it out to start. If they both stink Jets should have a shot at Brady Quinn in 2007 draft.
I was on board until this. Also, Mangold probably won't make it out of the 1st.

Jets blue print -

Brick with the #4

2nd rd pick - Mangold, C

Gives the Jets a new young offense with much more potential - let Ramsey and Chad duke it out to start.  If they both stink Jets should have a shot at Brady Quinn in 2007 draft.
Same here IF they get that high of a pick for Abe, then Mangold will have to be taken there...I'm just against the Jets spending a pick on a RB untill they build a foundation...

Next year will be perfect to add the RB plus they will probably still have a high pick.

Count me as one who thinks a 4th round pick for this guy is highway robbery. I'm amazed at that. And the 6th round stuff is just nuts.

J

Count me as one who thinks a 4th round pick for this guy is highway robbery. I'm amazed at that. And the 6th round stuff is just nuts.

J
IN.I think the million dollar question is, who has a better future Ramsey or Brees?....

Who signs the higher contract?

Jet fans have to be leery of Brees' injury + arm strength status while it seems like Miami fans are jumping out of their panties for Brees over Ramsey.

Then again for the Jets you can throw in the 3 top rookie prospects......

Make the right decision here and your team's future can hit the fast track.

I can't decide but for now I'll go:

Lienart

Cutler

Young

Ramsey

Brees

He hasn't played to well.

And IMHO, If a Hall of Fame coach is kicking you to the curb, that says all other teams need to know about you. Right or Wrong.
Gibbs is not a fan of young QBs.Spurrier killed any chance of Ramsey getting some decent coaching when he first joined the Skins with his "screw protection and the running game, just get me to a golf course" approach. The Jets would get a bargain at 6th and it would be a good deal at 4th. Ramsey has a strong arm, is smart, can take a hit (as Spurrier proved over and over) and IMHO needs some real NFL coaching by a team that likes to give young QBs a real chance.

And IMHO, If a Hall of Fame coach is kicking you to the curb, that says all other teams need to know about you. Right or Wrong.
Gibbs is not a fan of young QBs.Spurrier killed any chance of Ramsey getting some decent coaching when he first joined the Skins with his "screw protection and the running game, just get me to a golf course" approach. The Jets would get a bargain at 6th and it would be a good deal at 4th. Ramsey has a strong arm, is smart, can take a hit (as Spurrier proved over and over) and IMHO needs some real NFL coaching by a team that likes to give young QBs a real chance.
Of course, Gibbs has chosen an even younger QB (Campbell) over Ramsey, so . . .I'm sure we'll never know exactly what the problem was but Gibbs concluded early on that Ramsey was not the long-term solution at QB. It wasn't merely a preference for Brunell and older QB's in general. It was something else.

IMHO, Ramsey has the ideal arm strength, toughness, intelligence, work ethic and team-oriented personality to be successful in the NFL. What he seems to lack at times are things that are more subtle, such as pocket awareness, and game sense and good judgment under pressure. He also has never seemed confident in the pocket, and he's had a bad case of happy feet.

I still think he's a good prospect for someone to develop at QB. I don't think he's HoF material, but for me the question is whether he's another Gus Frerotte or another Drew Bledsoe.

Jets blue print -

Brick with the #4

2nd rd pick - Mangold, C

Gives the Jets a new young offense with much more potential - let Ramsey and Chad duke it out to start.  If they both stink Jets should have a shot at Brady Quinn in 2007 draft.
Same here IF they get that high of a pick for Abe, then Mangold will have to be taken there...I'm just against the Jets spending a pick on a RB untill they build a foundation...

Next year will be perfect to add the RB plus they will probably still have a high pick.
I have seen mocks where Mangold falls into the 2nd. Maybe the Jets can move up with their early 2nd and another pick to grab Mangold if he falls to the end of the 1st rd. BTW Joe - Mike and the dog are usually on the ball with their football info - Mike said that Skins are asking for a 6th. That may change if a bid off develops.

I didn't take the time to read this entire thread but am I the only one who thinks Ramsey for a 6th round pick is an absolute steal for the Jets?

Of course, Gibbs has chosen an even younger QB (Campbell) over Ramsey, so . . .I'm sure we'll never know exactly what the problem was but Gibbs concluded early on that Ramsey was not the long-term solution at QB. It wasn't merely a preference for Brunell and older QB's in general. It was something else.

IMHO, Ramsey has the ideal arm strength, toughness, intelligence, work ethic and team-oriented personality to be successful in the NFL. What he seems to lack at times are things that are more subtle, such as pocket awareness, and game sense and good judgment under pressure. He also has never seemed confident in the pocket, and he's had a bad case of happy feet.

I still think he's a good prospect for someone to develop at QB. I don't think he's HoF material, but for me the question is whether he's another Gus Frerotte or another Drew Bledsoe.
Theisman 32 years old when he started playing for GibbsWilliams 31

Rypien 27 but drafted by Gibbs and Williams was greatly injured

Brunell 34

If Gibbs makes Campbell a starter this year, then accept my apologies.

I agree about his confidence and happy feet, though. The Spurrier mentality seems to have contributed to that. The first few games he played those things didn't seem to be as established in his playing style. I just think he needs to be treated as a rookie with upside.

Gibbs is not a fan of young QBs.

Spurrier killed any chance of Ramsey getting some decent coaching when he first joined the Skins with his "screw protection and the running game, just get me to a golf course" approach. The Jets would get a bargain at 6th and it would be a good deal at 4th. Ramsey has a strong arm, is smart, can take a hit (as Spurrier proved over and over) and IMHO needs some real NFL coaching by a team that likes to give young QBs a real chance.

Theisman 32 years old when he started playing for GibbsWilliams 31

Rypien 27 but drafted by Gibbs and Williams was greatly injured

Brunell 34

If Gibbs makes Campbell a starter this year, then accept my apologies.

I agree about his confidence and happy feet, though. The Spurrier mentality seems to have contributed to that. The first few games he played those things didn't seem to be as established in his playing style. I just think he needs to be treated as a rookie with upside.
The notable difference between the historical examples and now is the salary cap, and no position is affected more on Gibbs' rosters than at QB. He can no longer stow 25-year old QB's on his disabled lists with "injuries" to save for the future. I can't recall a time ever that Gibbs went into a season so thin at QB as to have a 2nd stringer who was a 24-year old, 2nd year QB who was completely untested at the NFL level - and that's assuming that Campbell doesn't beat out Brunell for the starting job (I'd predict he won't entering the season). In light of that, it's noteworthy that he overstepped Ramsey, a veteran with about 2 full seasons worth of starts that consist of largely adequate, sometimes effective and occasionally even strong play despite myriad challenges.

Does Gibbs prefer vets? Absolutely, that's why Brunell's still on the roster.

I just don't think that that analysis completely answers the question as to why Ramsey's leaving. That's all I'm saying.

The notable difference between the historical examples and now is the salary cap, and no position is affected more on Gibbs' rosters than at QB. He can no longer stow 25-year old QB's on his disabled lists with "injuries" to save for the future. I can't recall a time ever that Gibbs went into a season so thin at QB as to have a 2nd stringer who was a 24-year old, 2nd year QB who was completely untested at the NFL level - and that's assuming that Campbell doesn't beat out Brunell for the starting job (I'd predict he won't entering the season).

In light of that, it's noteworthy that he overstepped Ramsey, a veteran with about 2 full seasons worth of starts that consist of largely adequate, sometimes effective and occasionally even strong play despite myriad challenges.

Does Gibbs prefer vets? Absolutely, that's why Brunell's still on the roster.

I just don't think that that analysis completely answers the question as to why Ramsey's leaving. That's all I'm saying.
Agreed. Gibbs preference for vets is only one aspect of the issue. I just wanted to point out that his age, plus his lack of proper training with a dolt of an NFL coach (Spurrier) both worked to his disadvantage in Washington. I still feel he has a chance of becoming a decent QB in other markets, however.

The whole Ramsey situation was odd... how do you go through a whole offseason program and training camp, only to pull your starter halfway through game one and never go back? Very puzzling. That said, getting rid of last regime's guy of the future is something new management teams often do.

The whole Ramsey situation was odd... how do you go through a whole offseason program and training camp, only to pull your starter halfway through game one and never go back? Very puzzling. That said, getting rid of last regime's guy of the future is something new management teams often do.
:goodposting:

Surprised to see Ramsey get so much love in here. He's proven to me that he just doesn't have "it" to be a NFL QB. Doesn't matter who's to blame (Spurrier, Gibbs), when it comes down to it, he is what he is. A tough QB with a rocket arm but no poise, pocket awareness and feel for the game. I like Ramsey though, it's hard not to respect the guy for standing in there the way he did. I think Gibbs screwed up last season by naming Ramsey the starter early and sticking with him even though he stunk all preseason. I think Gibbs was trying to do some psychological support with him but it didn't help. Ramsey falls in love with his arm, locks in on WRs and turns the ball over or gets sacked way too often. Kind of like a young Rob Johnson minus the mobility.

I would hope the Skins would get more for him. Hes a former first rounder. Sixth round QBs(outside of an occassionaly Tom Brady) usually don't even make the team. The Redskins are basically trading a fairly proven backup QB who has the upside of being a starter in the league for a guy who has a 50% chance of being cut from the team.

6th is a joke.  Should be a 4th.
And the Jets would say "fine, we'll get him for nothing after you guys cut him".The Dolphins were lucky to get a 2nd for Surtain and he's a Pro Bowl caliber player. The only reason that went through is that KC was desperate for a CB and didn't want to risk losing him to another team in free agency.
QBs are far more valuable than any other position. A former first round QB who has potential and who actually played decently when he got an opportunity late last season is worth more than a sixth rounder.

Got a Q though-

:goodposting: I've always said that draft picks are usually overrated, especially drafting QBs. Teams should target 3rd/4th year QBs, and trade down those draft picks to get the best linemen in the draft.

TO = 2nd round draft pick

Randy Moss = #7 overall pick

SA/Edge = 2nd round pick

Culpepper = 2nd round pick

I could go on and on.

All of these players should be worth high 1st rounders, yet they could be(or were once available) for a ton less.

Got a Q though-

No, but heres the point:If you draft a QB at the end of the first round, realisitically how well do you expect him to do in his first few years? If he is up and down but shows potential, isn't that about what you expected?

So now that Ramsey has shown just that, why does a first rounder all of a sudden only bring a sixth rounder in the draft? If anything he should be worth more because those learning curves are out of the way and now the "rewards" can be reaped.

Got a Q though-

How well do you expect a young QB to play in his first few years in the league? I think that Ramsey has met expectations pretty well...nothing spectacular, but hes shown some signs, which is all you can expect out of a young QB.

Got a Q though-

I thought about making a long list of players you were cut or traded for little by great coaches, but I don't feel like it. Nevertheless, I disagree with your statement.

Users who are viewing this thread