What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Ran a 10k in June (5 Viewers)

MAC_32 said:
I'll let you know once I know what's going on that morning, I have no problems with an early morning but too many of my plans that morning are still up in the air. I may have a pregnant girlfriend with me, I might not, I might stay anywhere from Bowling Green, OH to Toledo to Ann Arbor to Oak Park to Rochester Hills Friday night, and I might not even be driving. Looking like a trip that's going to piece together the week of the game, the races in Brighton and Holly (if I stay in Rochester Hills) look like the best options, unless one of those is in a suburb that's closer to Oak Park than I am aware. Is the Holly one affiliated with the Detroit half? I'd love to do one of those if it works out!Thx for a start on where to look for tri training, working from home today for job 2 so I should have plenty of time to look up some stuff. I'm sure I'll have questions about swim technique once I start training.
The Detroit 1/2 (& full & 5k) are all in Detroit. Having done a bunch of 1/2s, this has one of the cooler routes taking runners over the Detroit River via the Ambassador Bridge in to Canada, down the River and Back in to the US by going under the Detroit River via the tunnel (&, you get your "tunnel mile" split on your results). Holly is about an hour north of Detroit, but would be an easy 20-30 minute from Rochester. Oak Park is quite close to Detroit. One thing to think about if you decide to do Detroit: because you are traveling internationally, you do need the new enhanced ID (driver's lisc.) or Passport.

I got to the gym today and the cardio area was closed. Looked like they were doing serious cleaning? All the machines were covered in plastic and looked like a dust bomb had gone off. I got home and was ticked that I was not going to get my run in. I looked at the temp outside 98 degrees. I said the hell with it and did 3.5 miles with no water. It really sapped me and I am sure I lost about 50 lbs in sweat. I was looking forward to the temps dropping here but they are saying over 100 the next few days. Work has been slow and the boss shut down the office for Yom Kippur on Monday. Times are bad here so I made a few calls and found some landscaping work for Saturday and Monday. Now I have two days of digging ditches in 100 degrees to look forward to. :thumbup:

I know HTFU.

I have started the ball rolling to get my heart cath done. I plan on doing it in two to three weeks.

Sand, sorry I left you off my list of swim experts
Didn't notice (nor would I have minded if I did notice). My update - ran 3.5 sloooow miles today on a treadmill to make sure my hammy was getting better. I felt it, but it is just about back - no twinges or grabbing. The one thing about hamstrings is that it is very obvious if you are doing damage.Will step it up tomorrow.Swimming is good, though. Did 2k hard yards yesterday and was pretty much hitting every split (from 100 to 400yds) under 1:30/100. All the way down to 1:15 or so. I've cut down swims to 2 a week and will be doing a couple upper body tri/lat workouts per week to increase strength. I intend on being a beast on the swim next year.

Good morning, freaks.

Dedided to bag the 10K, so I got a solid 8+ hours of sleep instead. Heading out in a little bit to do an 8-mile workout I got from my friend Harry from RWOL:

2 mile warm-up

3 miles @ MP (7:11)

1 min jog

2 miles @ HMP (6:49)

1 min jog

1 mile @ 10K pace (6:26)

Nothing else on the calendar today, so I'll probably just catch up on some reading for work and try not to eat too much. Schedule calls for an easy 16 tomorrow, so I'll try to comply and not run too fast.

Have a great Saturday!

Bike guys - even though I have a bike now (and I like it) I am highly considering picking this up if it continues to get no bids. I've gotten higher res images and it looks quite good. And I like the yellow (I certainly won't have any problems locating my spot in transition).

Any reason not to jump on it?
You already have a road bike, why would you add another versus getting a Tri Bike (note, expires soon). I was watching this one and can't make it work right now. I really want this one, but, again I'll need to wait until early spring to see if one is in the cards. As for yellow bikes, you are dead right about being able to spot them in transition. This is what I ride and it jumps out of the crowd.

Bike guys - even though I have a bike now (and I like it) I am highly considering picking this up if it continues to get no bids. I've gotten higher res images and it looks quite good. And I like the yellow (I certainly won't have any problems locating my spot in transition).

It's not a tri bike?

It's not a tri bike?
I forgot to say that I'd sell the bike I have now for the new one. It would only be a $150 or so upgrade and I like the thought of having all carbon (and I really like the Kestrels).

Dedided to bag the 10K, so I got a solid 8+ hours of sleep instead. Heading out in a little bit to do an 8-mile workout I got from my friend Harry from RWOL:2 mile warm-up3 miles @ MP (7:11)1 min jog2 miles @ HMP (6:49)1 min jog1 mile @ 10K pace (6:26)
Ran the three MP miles too fast (6:57 average, oops), so I struggled through the 2nd HMP mile (but avg'd 6:47) and ended up skipping the 10K mile and doing the last mile as a cool-down instead. Oh, well. Still a good tune-up for the marathon.Badgers up 21-7 over the Spartans at halftime. Nice.

Dedided to bag the 10K, so I got a solid 8+ hours of sleep instead. Heading out in a little bit to do an 8-mile workout I got from my friend Harry from RWOL:

2 mile warm-up

3 miles @ MP (7:11)

1 min jog

2 miles @ HMP (6:49)

1 min jog

1 mile @ 10K pace (6:26)
Ran the three MP miles too fast (6:57 average, oops), so I struggled through the 2nd HMP mile (but avg'd 6:47) and ended up skipping the 10K mile and doing the last mile as a cool-down instead. Oh, well. Still a good tune-up for the marathon.Badgers up 21-7 over the Spartans at halftime. Nice.
:goodposting: I really like the look of that workout, how would you modify it for a 1/2? Something like this:

1/2 mile warm-up

2 miles @ HMP (8:15)

1 min jog

1.5 miles @ 10K (7:40)

1 min jog

1/2 mile @ 5K pace (7:10)

(all times being "ish")

SO proud of my BIL today! He's built up his running this year and peaked today with his first-ever 1/2-marathon. He did better than he and I expected (8:41/mi pace, after never exceeding 9:00/mile in training on hilly routes near his home). I got in 10 miles of training by running inside angles all over the course to catch him at multiple spots and cheer him on. Saw a woman in the Chgo R&R 1/2-marathon running shirt, so I loudly cheered her on as well. I ALSO saw a guy in 2Young's creepy Martian running shirt. :shiver:

Seriously, Tom Brady, two TD passes in 10 quarters of football this year? Seriously?? :rant:

Anywho.....there was a good band playing at a local bar, so I didn't get to bed until almost 2:30 last night. As such, it wasn't a lot of fun getting up at 6:30 this morning to meet a buddy to run. What really sucked is that he realized after 2 miles that he wouldn't be able to hang with me (just did Ironman WI a couple of weeks ago), so I ended up doing most of the 16 miles by myself sans iPod. :cry: Still managed to bust out the 16 miles at 7:35 average pace, including a couple of accidental MP miles. Whoops. Felt pretty strong, though, so apparently the taper is doing what it's supposed to do. Looking forward to an easy 36-mile week.

tri - Great debut performance by your BIL yesterday. And very cool of you to go support him! :goodposting:

Have a great day, everybody. Go Pack!!!

Gruecd: While I'd normally just say HTFU, it doesn't make much sense to travel that far, for a race that will almost definitely have little to no effect on your real goal (kicking ### in Chicago; and drinking/partying with me the Friday before!). I'd skip it; and put in a low mileage day at race pace = still get some gain; but a ton more sleep and little risk of injury. My .02.
Actually heading to Chicago now on Friday morning, so I won't be able to rendezvous in Milwaukee. :cry: I know your world must be shattered now. :goodposting: Try to keep it together. It'll be OK. :rant:

Man, my knees are not liking my transition back to running. Got and 8-miler in today and I am an achy mess. I think I might have over estimated my ability to recover doing my 1st Oly one weekend and blasting a Sprint the next. The good news, my stamina is awesome and I can go 8 miles on tired legs. I have fallen in love with BioFreeze. I took my son to a small outdoor car show right after my run. It may be all (or part) mental, but this stuff makes a huge recovery difference.

Even with sore legs, I am downright giddy. The Lions got off the schnide (at least for a week) and adult swim starts tomorrow :confused: I am going through huge swimming withdrawl and its only been a week.

Hey Gruecd, I know you've used arm warmers. What are the pros & cons? I really like running in my tri top because I can stash gels, beans, etc in the back pouches. I'd like to wear it for the Detroit 1/2, but its typically been high 40s, low 50s. I am thinking I could wear the top with arm warmers. Arm warmers + compression socks + 40-year old, short bald guy = SEXY.

Did my last (and fourth) 20 mile run today. No problems with it; put some good striding in the last mile. 52 miles for the week (after 58 last week). Taper time! Drove parts of the Grand Rapids course while up there over the weekend.

Hey Gruecd, I know you've used arm warmers. What are the pros & cons? I really like running in my tri top because I can stash gels, beans, etc in the back pouches. I'd like to wear it for the Detroit 1/2, but its typically been high 40s, low 50s. I am thinking I could wear the top with arm warmers. Arm warmers + compression socks + 40-year old, short bald guy = SEXY.
They're nice because they keep your arms warm until you warm up, and then you can just toss them or even just push them down. Honestly, there really aren't any negatives to using them. Some people will just use old tube socks. That way you can just throw them away once you're warm.But dude, this is all moot, because you're talking about temps around 50. No arm warmers allowed unless it's under 40 degrees. HTFU.

They're nice because they keep your arms warm until you warm up, and then you can just toss them or even just push them down. Honestly, there really aren't any negatives to using them. Some people will just use old tube socks. That way you can just throw them away once you're warm.But dude, this is all moot, because you're talking about temps around 50. No arm warmers allowed unless it's under 40 degrees. HTFU.
:useless: I'm pretty sure my HTFU Gauge is in the GREEN after jumping in a lake at around 39 degrees last weekend :towelwave: I'm just Over-Thinking ahead. Thanks for the info!!!!!

It's not a tri bike?
I forgot to say that I'd sell the bike I have now for the new one. It would only be a $150 or so upgrade and I like the thought of having all carbon (and I really like the Kestrels).
Bought a new bike. :thumbup: I have ridden the Kestrel Talon before and really liked it. $650 for this bike (Ultegra, 105, Easton Wheels, pedals included) is an absolute steal.Anyone want a Trek 1500 in good condition?

Well, sitting here NOT watching Sunday night football because my wife is recording "Brothers and Sisters" and "Entourage" and I'm too lazy to go down to the basement to watch... plus I have a heating pad on my right achilles in the hope that it will (please!) stop hurting... may as well write up my running report:

18 miler, same routine as last week: up 30 minutes before the crack of dawn and out the door as the sun started coming up (today that was about 6:30). 50oz of Accelerade and 3 gels.

5 miles: 9:38s, 148 bpm - perfect start

5 miles: 9:34s, 156 bpm - still strong, kept it slow & easy. Decided to try a different route than usual, looking for some hills to incorporate

5 miles: 9:24s, 162 bpm - started to push up the pace, still feeling good overall.

2 miles: 9:14s, 172 bpm - legs were hurting but my breathing was fine so I knew I was pushing OK

last mile: 8:55, 179 bpm - strong finish

Overall 18 miles, 9:28s, 158 bpm

The only problems were 1) my new route appears to be flatter than my normal route by about 10% (2700ft v 3000ft ascent) and 2) the afore mentioned achilles. I think I've said before that it's been bothering me. Now it's REALLY sore. Nothing acute which is good but it's definitely getting worse and is currently unpleasant to touch.

Also, I tried a CarbBOOM on this run... yeah I'll be packing my own Gus for future runs, including race day. And because it was in the 50s I didn't need anywhere near all of the Accelerade, so if it's cool next week I may switch back to my waist pack.

Yesterday was my last tune-up for the final TT on Wednesday nite. The final series standings are up for grabs and I could finish anywhere from 2nd to 6th depending on the Wed outcome. Anyway I rode the course along the French Broad which is a 20K out and back. Didn't have my bike computer or tunes so I wasn't expecting much. Warmed up for a half an hour. The outbound route was dead into the wind. I was expecting 16-17 minutes and was pleasantly surprised with a 14:45. HR stayed in the 150s so I thought I was going to be unhappy with the result. I expected to fly on the return trip. It felt like the wind died or maybe it was just my legs dying. Ended up around 14 minutes on the return leg. Final average was 25.5 mph over 29 minutes. Not a bad average sans aero gear. This ride gave me a much needed confidence boost heading into my final event. Today is an off day and tomorrow will be an easy spin.

Ran my first 5K this Saturday on a whim at the prompting of my BIL, who was planning to run. I've been training for a 1.5 mile fit test for a few months but have only run in the 3+ mile range a few times during that period. I had been getting the 1.5 mile in about 10:15 - 10:30 but knew I couldn't maintain that pace over the 5K. Having never run in an organized race before, I really went into it blind not knowing how to pace myself, etc. I even forgot my watch.

Long story short, I made a respectable showing and was rather proud of myself. Finished in 24:36, good for 3rd in the 30-39 age group. Encouraging thing was that I realized I could have run faster. I was hesitant to push my pace early because I didn't want to poop out, but I am confident I could have run in the 22-23-minute range if I had pushed myself harder.

Looking forward to doing this more often.

Nice tune-up ride, BnB. Sounds like you're ready for the TT.

Ran my first 5K this Saturday on a whim at the prompting of my BIL, who was planning to run... Long story short, I made a respectable showing and was rather proud of myself. Finished in 24:36, good for 3rd in the 30-39 age group. Encouraging thing was that I realized I could have run faster. I was hesitant to push my pace early because I didn't want to poop out, but I am confident I could have run in the 22-23-minute range if I had pushed myself harder.
Well done and congratulations! Now you know what you can do for next time... My legs are still really sore today. The achilles has quieted down though so I'll take it.

Ugh. Woke up for a 5 miler last Thursday and have this weird lower back/knee issue. The back feels like its out of joint, but the majority of the pain I feel is closer to the knee. Seems like it might be a pinched nerve or something. Initially thought it was just a product of only having been running for 6 weeks. I did do some speed work last Tuesday - maybe that caused it. Took the weekend off hoping it would work itself out but no luck. Doc appt today, really hoping this is a one-time deal and not indicative of a long-term issue.

Ran my first 5K this Saturday on a whim at the prompting of my BIL, who was planning to run. I've been training for a 1.5 mile fit test for a few months but have only run in the 3+ mile range a few times during that period. I had been getting the 1.5 mile in about 10:15 - 10:30 but knew I couldn't maintain that pace over the 5K. Having never run in an organized race before, I really went into it blind not knowing how to pace myself, etc. I even forgot my watch.Long story short, I made a respectable showing and was rather proud of myself. Finished in 24:36, good for 3rd in the 30-39 age group. Encouraging thing was that I realized I could have run faster. I was hesitant to push my pace early because I didn't want to poop out, but I am confident I could have run in the 22-23-minute range if I had pushed myself harder.Looking forward to doing this more often.
Way to go! And we're looking forward to more reports!

Ran my first 5K this Saturday on a whim at the prompting of my BIL, who was planning to run. I've been training for a 1.5 mile fit test for a few months but have only run in the 3+ mile range a few times during that period. I had been getting the 1.5 mile in about 10:15 - 10:30 but knew I couldn't maintain that pace over the 5K. Having never run in an organized race before, I really went into it blind not knowing how to pace myself, etc. I even forgot my watch.Long story short, I made a respectable showing and was rather proud of myself. Finished in 24:36, good for 3rd in the 30-39 age group. Encouraging thing was that I realized I could have run faster. I was hesitant to push my pace early because I didn't want to poop out, but I am confident I could have run in the 22-23-minute range if I had pushed myself harder.Looking forward to doing this more often.
Good Show!!! Nice to podium in your first event.

:lmao: Congrats. Most states have a race calendar or event finder. I'm sure you'll find tons events. My biggest problem is not finding events, it choosing which to do.~My update, back in the pool tonight. Unlike the sausage-fest that it typically is, it is like 50/50 men to women and, while most of my views were under water, it looks like there is plenty to see. Did 3000 yards total and I wish I'd looked at the time when I entered the water because I think I might have done it in just under and hour (or sub 2 min/100s). I did it two parts, a 2,000 with a quick break and then 1,000.

LOVING this cooler weather, although I could do without the wind. Anyway, up early this morning for 7 miles at 7:43 pace. I'm pretty busy this week, so I'm shuffling the schedule a little bit, but there's nothing too taxing anyway, so it shouldn't be a big deal.

Have a great day, everybody. At this time 12 days from now I'll be standing in the starting corral getting ready to do this thing!!!

Wraith - Awesome job on your 18-miler!!! :lmao: And take care of that Achilles. Not something you want to eff around with.

The Third - I'd say that was a VERY respectable debut performance. I know for a fact that my first 5K wasn't that fast. I don't have a lot of natural speed, so I'm guessing it won't take long before your 5K PR is faster than mine (19:23).

Last edited by a moderator:
My update, back in the pool tonight. Unlike the sausage-fest that it typically is, it is like 50/50 men to women and, while most of my views were under water, it looks like there is plenty to see. Did 3000 yards total and I wish I'd looked at the time when I entered the water because I think I might have done it in just under and hour (or sub 2 min/100s). I did it two parts, a 2,000 with a quick break and then 1,000.
Lucky you. The female species in my pool have a 60 year age gap (i.e. 10 or 70). Bleh. The price I pay for almost always having the lane to myself, I guess.Anyway, I have been battling this hamstring injury, which doesn't really want to go away altogether. I ran a 5k in 24 minutes yesterday and then a mile warmdown. Hamstring was still pinching a bit and I didn't want to push the run by kicking harder. Hopefully it will work itself out, but my running schedule has been cut back to try and let it heal up fully. 2 weeks to go until gametime.

gruecd said:
LOVING this cooler weather, although I could do without the wind. Anyway, up early this morning for 7 miles at 7:43 pace. I'm pretty busy this week, so I'm shuffling the schedule a little bit, but there's nothing too taxing anyway, so it shouldn't be a big deal.

Have a great day, everybody. At this time 12 days from now I'll be standing in the starting corral getting ready to do this thing!!!
What is this cooler weather of which you speak?Ran 5 miles in 50 minutes this evening - 86 degrees :hot:

5 weeks to the Daytona Half Marathon :thumbup:

gruecd said:

What is this cooler weather of which you speak?Ran 5 miles in 50 minutes this evening - 86 degrees :bag:

5 weeks to the Daytona Half Marathon :hot:
I live near Gruecd...low temp last night was 31! Friggin frost warnings! High temp today is supposed to be near 60.So on RW online I read about the Yasso 800s and decided to give it a go. Near the bottom of the article it says that he starts with 4 repeats and adds one more on each subsequent week until you get to 10. Last night I did 5 repeats and felt great! Hopefully in 5 weeks I can do all 10!

Well back from our trip to Sandusky, OH. It is a pretty cool place. Cedar Point was awesome and yes I did do most of the stupid coasters. The Top Thrill Dragster is a great ride, but man it took a lot of courage for me to get on it. I had to do it to not show my kids what a wuss I was about hieghts, plus my wife was getting on it and I would not let her show me up. You want to talk about heart rate. Take a ride on Millenium ant the TTD. My heart rate was probably above 200 for both of them. All in all it was a good trip. My running was as follows:

Saturday: 10 miles. Supposed to be at marathon pace, but after the drive up on Friday and walking around the park on Friday night, my legs were not up to it. Next was walking all day aroung the park and riding rides, chasing kids and eating.

Sunday: 18.5 miles. Supposed to be 20, but my legs were in no shape, plus a huge rain dumped on me around mile 14 which did not help my tired legs. I figured the walking more than made up for it, but still feel like I should have finished. Probably would not have even made it this far, but everything was perfectly flat so a good running day.

Monday: At Kalahari Indoor water park all day and walked around in 6 inches and 12 inches of water. Legs actually still felt really strong and not achy after the Sunday run.

Tuesday: Travel day back home. Supposed to be a 6 miler, but no dice with the travel and checkout. Will make it up on Friday probably.

Getting ready for the taper though. I want my energy back.

The trip was a good break from reality for a bit and the family had a great time.

Gruecd: While I'd normally just say HTFU, it doesn't make much sense to travel that far, for a race that will almost definitely have little to no effect on your real goal (kicking ### in Chicago; and drinking/partying with me the Friday before!). I'd skip it; and put in a low mileage day at race pace = still get some gain; but a ton more sleep and little risk of injury. My .02.
Actually heading to Chicago now on Friday morning, so I won't be able to rendezvous in Milwaukee. :( I know your world must be shattered now. :cry: Try to keep it together. It'll be OK. ;)
I'm somehow try to get over it. Tri-man: you are sooo ready! What a great training run you've had.

BnB: you are sooo ready as well!!

My update:

I'm coming off of a long weekend of debauchery and fun, which included: staying in the Ebbets Suite (fully catered!) to watch the Rangers on Saturday, followed by a night at a club; going to Cowboys stadium on Sunday (met many Cheerleaders, Jerry Jones, had an elevator ride with Ron Jaworski and Stu Scott, got to see the inner offices of the stadium, and scored 45 yard line seats for the Monday night game!!!!!!); and Monday Night Football in the most amazing seats I've ever been in to watch Jerry's new big-screen TB (with Culdeus and some "friends").

In the middle of all that I did get a 16 mile run in on Sunday Morning, and a 5 miler on Monday morning. The 16 miler was brutal, with the temps in the low 80's; though I was able to get it all in. I was sporting my oxy-sox (as always), but slid them down to get a bagel at the hotel prior to heading out for the run. I forgot that I had pushed them down, until at mile 5 my calves were aching. I looked down at them, and quickly stopped to pull them up. It's amazing how much of a difference they make! The 5 miler was huge, as it's the first time I've run on back-to-back days in a very long time (I usually run 3x per week), and my legs still felt uber great. It helped that the temps were down to the mid-60 for the second run. I took a rest day the last two to recover more fully, and am stoked that our temps are still down. Hopefully they'll stay down for tomorrow's run, and more importantly Sunday's scheduled 18.

So on RW online I read about the Yasso 800s and decided to give it a go. Near the bottom of the article it says that he starts with 4 repeats and adds one more on each subsequent week until you get to 10. Last night I did 5 repeats and felt great! Hopefully in 5 weeks I can do all 10!
So funny - I was thinking about Yasso's this morning and was going to do a search for the article - thanx for anticipating my need!! I really wanted to remember the intervals between sets, which the article says to "jog for the same amount of time it took to run the 800."

Today was a speed day - 2x 1200 then 4x 800, with 2 min rest intervals. I walked the first couple, then split 1 min walk/1 min jog. It was only 44 degrees, so I had to bust out the cap & long-sleeves for the first time. Felt good for the most part, though honestly a little chilly. If it hadn't been speed work I would have worn a heavier layer. Anyway:

2x 1200 pace: 7:20, 7:13 (on 7:20 target)

4x 800 pace: 7:10, 7:03, 6:57, 6:49 (on 7:12 target) :X

Forgot my heart rate monitor ( :bag: ) so I don't know how hard I was working, but it felt pretty comfortable. None of the 800s were smooth - I had to adjust pace up or down a couple of times with each. Also, my asthma was acting up after the first 1200. Didn't seem to affect my performance which tells me I'm getting more efficient at processing oxygen on these things. Overall a good run, 6.3 miles in total.

pmbrown_22 - great runs over the weekend and it sounds like your trip was a blast!

T- minus 4 days. I am not sooo ready, but I think I am ready. I am getting pretty freakin nervous. Good to read up on all the success in here.

I sat down with my wife last night and we mapped out the viewing points where her and my oldest 2 boys will be cheering on Sunday. My task of running 26.2 may be easier than her task of keeping a 5 and 3 year old entertained while waiting for the 30 seconds of cheering every hour.

wraith5 said:
So on RW online I read about the Yasso 800s and decided to give it a go. Near the bottom of the article it says that he starts with 4 repeats and adds one more on each subsequent week until you get to 10. Last night I did 5 repeats and felt great! Hopefully in 5 weeks I can do all 10!
So funny - I was thinking about Yasso's this morning and was going to do a search for the article - thanx for anticipating my need!! I really wanted to remember the intervals between sets, which the article says to "jog for the same amount of time it took to run the 800."
I altered this just slightly. I wanted to keep it simple to get an accurate total distance...so I simply ran 400s as my recovery. I ran each 800 in 3:30 (7min pace) and my 400 recoveries in 2:15 (9:00min pace.)

meeka said:
T- minus 4 days. I am not sooo ready, but I think I am ready. I am getting pretty freakin nervous. Good to read up on all the success in here. I sat down with my wife last night and we mapped out the viewing points where her and my oldest 2 boys will be cheering on Sunday. My task of running 26.2 may be easier than her task of keeping a 5 and 3 year old entertained while waiting for the 30 seconds of cheering every hour.
Good luck! :thumbup: Anyone else have races this weekend? I'll be cheering on a buddy of mine...he's competing a in a duathalon....6 months to the day after having his 3rd open heart surgery! :confused:

gruecd said:
pigskinliquors said:
Tri-man: you are sooo ready! What a great training run you've had.BnB: you are sooo ready as well!!
What, I'm not sooo ready, too?! :thumbup: :confused:
You are soo ready too my friend! Lot's of fun planned in Milwaukee = sux that you have to worry about a silly little race!

wraith5 said:
I altered this just slightly. I wanted to keep it simple to get an accurate total distance...so I simply ran 400s as my recovery. I ran each 800 in 3:30 (7min pace) and my 400 recoveries in 2:15 (9:00min pace.)
Do you use a track? That seems like a solid alternative. I can do a handful of 400s at 7/mi but I'm not sure how many I could do running even 9's in between. Nice work.

meeka said:
T- minus 4 days. I am not sooo ready, but I think I am ready. I am getting pretty freakin nervous. Good to read up on all the success in here. I sat down with my wife last night and we mapped out the viewing points where her and my oldest 2 boys will be cheering on Sunday. My task of running 26.2 may be easier than her task of keeping a 5 and 3 year old entertained while waiting for the 30 seconds of cheering every hour.
You sure as heck are ready. Just reading what you've logged here shows that you've focused on training as much as humanly possible. No one with small kids has the time to nail a training plan perfectly (heck, even if you didn't, it'd be difficult). Your weather looks ideal for Sunday, cool and dry, which should amount to some extra gas in the tank for you. Best of luck and enjoy, I'm sure your kids are damn proud of Dad (If they don't appreciate a marathon now, trust me, they will when they get a little older)!!!

BTW, Wraith, I've had the CarbBoom! gels. They're a bit nasty (kind of a sharp taste, as I recall), but decent enough. It's not vomit-swallow, like Duck recently experienced. :goodposting:
I wouldn't recommend vomit swallowing as part of a hydration/calorie routine - unless you're in the middle of nowhere, 21 miles into a 36 miler and have no choice.
... plus I have a heating pad on my right achilles in the hope that it will (please!) stop hurting...
Good luck keeping that thing in check. I'm still dealing with mine as well, but it seems to be getting better. Took those 8 days off, doing nothing but a flat hike and a little time on a stationary bike, while putting heat on the achilles 2-3 times/day to encourage the blood flow. It was feeling better, so ran 5 on Friday, 5 on Monday, and 6 today. Keeping it all down off the trails, on flat bike paths and roads, as I know running up hills strains the achilles more. So far, so good. It's definitely better than it was, although not 100% yet. I miss the trails big time, but this is better than those 8 days of no running! Want to give it until the end of next week, running 5-7 flat miles every-other-day or so, and then see how it feels. Have given some thought to maybe doing another road marathon this fall instead of a trail 50K, as I think the training for that would put less strain on it. But that's a fallback plan, as I still hope to get another ultra in this year.

BTW, Wraith, I've had the CarbBoom! gels. They're a bit nasty (kind of a sharp taste, as I recall), but decent enough. It's not vomit-swallow, like Duck recently experienced. :thumbdown:
I wouldn't recommend vomit swallowing as part of a hydration/calorie routine - unless you're in the middle of nowhere, 21 miles into a 36 miler and have no choice.
Some really tempting options out there, but I'm sticking to Gus all the way around - just got myself 2x 24 packs and I'm good to go.
... plus I have a heating pad on my right achilles in the hope that it will (please!) stop hurting...
Good luck keeping that thing in check. I'm still dealing with mine as well, but it seems to be getting better. Took those 8 days off, doing nothing but a flat hike and a little time on a stationary bike, while putting heat on the achilles 2-3 times/day to encourage the blood flow. It was feeling better, so ran 5 on Friday, 5 on Monday, and 6 today. Keeping it all down off the trails, on flat bike paths and roads, as I know running up hills strains the achilles more. So far, so good. It's definitely better than it was, although not 100% yet. I miss the trails big time, but this is better than those 8 days of no running! Want to give it until the end of next week, running 5-7 flat miles every-other-day or so, and then see how it feels. Have given some thought to maybe doing another road marathon this fall instead of a trail 50K, as I think the training for that would put less strain on it. But that's a fallback plan, as I still hope to get another ultra in this year.
:goodposting: Glad you've been able to run again!! A road marathon sounds like a good idea (but I know that's less fun for you). With my eyes focused on Tucson 12/13, I can't take a week off, so I'm just dealing with it. It doesn't seem to affect my performance (yet) - I just feel it early during runs and definitely after. Most of the time it's pretty mild - but present. I always do a mile warm-up before speed or tempo work and I think that helps. I'll keep doing the heating pad as well.

The 10K Thread: All Speedwork, All the TimeTM :lmao:

Just finished my last hard workout before Chicago. Did 8 miles in 56:27, including 3 x 1600M at 6:07, 6:05, and 6:06 with 3:30 jogs in between. According to the McMillan Running Calculator, this is right in line for a 3:05 marathoner, which is about the fastest I could see myself doing Chicago (under perfect conditions).

Either way, I can tell the taper is definitely working. I did about 3.4 miles prior to starting the repeats as a warm-up, and while I was making a conscious effort to keep it nice and easy, I kept on finding myself running in the 7:20's and 7:30's. So hopefully my worst-case scenario for Chicago (7:15 pace) should be relatively easy to attain.

Total 236 miles for me in September, up to 1,500 for the year, putting me almost 15% ahead of where I was last year at this time, and giving me a realistic shot at hitting 2,000 by year-end. Nothing but easy peasy miles from now 'til Chicago. Nice....

Last edited by a moderator:
Total 236 miles for me in September, up to 1,500 for the year, putting me almost 15% of where I was last year at this time, and giving me a realistic shot at hitting 2,000 by year-end. Nothing but easy peasy miles from now 'til Chicago. Nice....
The week off put me behind a bit, but still have a chance to hit my 1300 goal for the year (which would more than double what I ran in 2008). I'm at 948 so far, so with 352 left need to step it up a bit and average over 26 miles/week to hit it. Considering I rarely run more than 3 times/week, I sure hope I can start doing some long runs again soon!

Users who are viewing this thread