What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Ran a 10k in June (7 Viewers)

GStrot said:
tri-man 47 said:
2Young2BBald said:
wraith5 said:
Cool. Anyone want me to update the first post?
Hey there!! You doing any running? Changing the title a bit might be a good idea, but we still need to recognize who started this thing and why - can't forget our roots!!
I like it. How about something like:Ran a 10k in JuneTHE FFA Running & Triathlon Thread
:shrug: (with all respects to the bike-focused BnB ...though he's working his way into the dark side)
Sounds good. Will update now. I am doing a lot of short running. Oddly enough my hips bug me on anything longer than 6 miles. I haven't done anything **official** but for a few 5ks here and there.
And a bunch of sub-40 10ks too, right? :average:Great to hear you're still out there running- you've got me beat.

Couple of quality workouts over the last couple of days.

Yesterday 6.75 miles at an 8'45" pace, 147 avg HR. Well I called this a quality workout but it was really a venture in no-mans land. Was supposed to be a recovery run and I thought the first 1.5 miles at 8'28" pace and 129 HR felt easy. I just got slower and the HR elevated progressively the rest of the way. Basically turn this into a tempo run on tired legs and probably accomplished nothing other than burning some calories. Did manage to hit the gym for the first time in months.

Tuesday is the day for bike intervals in the studio. Today we did a test and I posted 298 watts over a 27 minute timeframe. The ride felt great but based on HR (lack thereof) and training volume it probably could have been better. I'm going to use 300 watts as my baseline and look for a 5% improvement to 315 watts over the next nine weeks. We followed this up with a 12 minute effort consisting of surges. I love using the studio rides for brick training because of the brutalized state of the legs before the run. Ran a 5k with the following splits; 9'29", 9'29", 8'59".

Question for you tri guys...in a choice between intervals and bricks, which do you use as your "A" workout?

Question for you tri guys...in a choice between intervals and bricks, which do you use as your "A" workout?
I prefer bricks but there's a key role for both. Off to run hill intervals now. It rained here last night and it's a little cooler than it has been, so a good morning for a run.

Hey Tri-Man, check your email!
Got the 'salt' article. Thank you!!BnB - some bricks are helpful to acclimate to the bike/run adjustment. But I get more training benefit from intervals. You've got good endurance from your biking. If you want to pick up some more running speed, I'd suggest the intervals.

--

Current forecast for Sunday: Mostly sunny, high of 92.

I prefer bricks but there's a key role for both. Off to run hill intervals now. It rained here last night and it's a little cooler than it has been, so a good morning for a run.
A "little cooler" around here in June is still damn hot and humid. :goodposting: 6.2 total including 1 mile warm up and cool down, 6 X .35 hills with the downhill being rest. Kept a good sub-8 pace uphill at a 15-25% slope, so I'm fairly happy with it but I definitely need to work on my hills.

BnB - some bricks are helpful to acclimate to the bike/run adjustment. But I get more training benefit from intervals. You've got good endurance from your biking. If you want to pick up some more running speed, I'd suggest the intervals.
The HIM training plan I am using has double and triple bricks in the speed and endurance phases. They are kind of both intervals & bricks. I think I posted, after doing a triple brick of 15 ride/2 run, that my run speeds were much faster on the 3 shorter runs than they would have been had I done a single brick workout. I am not sure these would benefit sprint tri training, but would be good for an Oly and beyond.

Just a gentle reminder why triathlon is such a glorious sport.

And a bit of biking advice - try not to bike in quicksand.
:wub: and :shock:
Intervals (both run and bike) improve my speed, while bricks prepare me for the race. I LOVE doing bricks, but intervals are my "A" workout (and I don't like them). I'll do an interval run and bike every week of training for my HIM from 12 weeks out (except the last week), but will likely only do 5 or 6 bricks. I do like the double/triple brick concept, and will give them a shot. ____________________________

My update:

My wet suit came in last night :unsure: I tried it on and it was pretty snug, but comfortable. I can't imagine getting out of this thing with any speed right now = something else to practice. I'm also signing up for an Oly tri the first week of Sept. as it's on a similar course as my HIM, and will likely be wetsuit legal (hard to find in TX in the summer). Today was a SRD after 5 straight days of training (a lot for me).

liquors, being the man you are, I've always figured that even boxer shorts would be a little 'tight' on you.

Added an Olympic tri to my schedule for July 11. I'll bookend my vacation that week with a sprint and an Olympic tri ...this will make the vacation week more of a taper. Otherwise, I'd train too hard rather than resting/relaxing and doing a few chores and some serious :thumbup: at our cottage in Michigan. For the tri's, under USAT rules, I'm now in the 55-59 bracket ...which is a very old, but thinned out, bracket. The key now is to not die on Sunday ...

liquors, being the man you are, I've always figured that even boxer shorts would be a little 'tight' on you.

Added an Olympic tri to my schedule for July 11. I'll bookend my vacation that week with a sprint and an Olympic tri ...this will make the vacation week more of a taper. Otherwise, I'd train too hard rather than resting/relaxing and doing a few chores and some serious :unsure: at our cottage in Michigan. For the tri's, under USAT rules, I'm now in the 55-59 bracket ...which is a very old, but thinned out, bracket. The key now is to not die on Sunday ...
Actually, that was the only area it wasn't "snug." :thumbup:

My update:

My wet suit came in last night :pickle: I tried it on and it was pretty snug, but comfortable. I can't imagine getting out of this thing with any speed right now = something else to practice. I'm also signing up for an Oly tri the first week of Sept. as it's on a similar course as my HIM, and will likely be wetsuit legal (hard to find in TX in the summer). Today was a SRD after 5 straight days of training (a lot for me).
The only issue I've had getting my Farmer John off (sounds dirty :giggle: ), is getting it off my calves. Pam spray before helped this before I started wearing the 2XUs. With 2 Olys under my belt with the 2XUs, the suit comes right off and they sleeves have stayed in place. Coming out of the water, I stand up and pull the cord on the suit and then put my goggles and ear plugs in my cap. I then put the suit at my waist & run in to transition. At my bike, I push the right leg down as far as it'll go and rip the leg out, which pulls the leg of the suit inside out. I then step on the crotch of the suit with my right foot and rip the left leg out the same way. :knockwood: I haven't had a snag with this method yet. I know several people that take off the suit in calf to knee deep water. I practiced this once and hated it and stuck with the method above.I am guessing it is a spring fed lake to be even close to wetsuit legal that time of year down there, right?

Added an Olympic tri to my schedule for July 11. I'll bookend my vacation that week with a sprint and an Olympic tri ...this will make the vacation week more of a taper. Otherwise, I'd train too hard rather than resting/relaxing and doing a few chores and some serious :pickle: at our cottage in Michigan. For the tri's, under USAT rules, I'm now in the 55-59 bracket ...which is a very old, but thinned out, bracket. The key now is to not die on Sunday ...
If there is still room in your calendar, you should look at doing The Battle of Waterloo 10 Leg Triathlon. I am going to be down at Disney that weekend, or I would be all over this (and am going to try like heck to get it in 2011's calendar). You'll note, you have to run, swim and bike with all your gear for each leg. I have spoken to 6 guys that did it last year and all agreed it was a DWD type of amazing experience. One of the guys on our DWD team is planning on doing it this year.

My update:

My wet suit came in last night :goodposting: I tried it on and it was pretty snug, but comfortable. I can't imagine getting out of this thing with any speed right now = something else to practice. I'm also signing up for an Oly tri the first week of Sept. as it's on a similar course as my HIM, and will likely be wetsuit legal (hard to find in TX in the summer). Today was a SRD after 5 straight days of training (a lot for me).
The only issue I've had getting my Farmer John off (sounds dirty :giggle: ), is getting it off my calves. Pam spray before helped this before I started wearing the 2XUs. With 2 Olys under my belt with the 2XUs, the suit comes right off and they sleeves have stayed in place. Coming out of the water, I stand up and pull the cord on the suit and then put my goggles and ear plugs in my cap. I then put the suit at my waist & run in to transition. At my bike, I push the right leg down as far as it'll go and rip the leg out, which pulls the leg of the suit inside out. I then step on the crotch of the suit with my right foot and rip the left leg out the same way. :knockwood: I haven't had a snag with this method yet. I know several people that take off the suit in calf to knee deep water. I practiced this once and hated it and stuck with the method above.I am guessing it is a spring fed lake to be even close to wetsuit legal that time of year down there, right?
PSL - :popcorn: I have my Orca sitting in a box next to me. Won't try it on at work so I'll find out how snug it is (size 9) tonight. 2Y - great advice. Does the Pam go inside or outside the suit? I gotta start getting serious about my transition planning.

Did a little brick this morning - 14 mile ride but only a 1.5 mile run. I have a tempo run tomorrow that I didn't really want to ruin, so figured I'd just get the feeling of the transition again. Averaged 7:40 on the run portion and 18.5 on my bike loops.

I tried using the multi-sport setting on my Garmin, but royally mucked it up. Guess reading the directions first would have been a good idea...

My wet suit came in last night :goodposting: I tried it on and it was pretty snug, but comfortable. I can't imagine getting out of this thing with any speed right now = something else to practice. I'm also signing up for an Oly tri the first week of Sept. as it's on a similar course as my HIM, and will likely be wetsuit legal (hard to find in TX in the summer). Today was a SRD after 5 straight days of training (a lot for me).
The question is will the HIM have strippers?(wetsuit strippers, you pervs).

My update:

PSL - :moneybag: I have my Orca sitting in a box next to me. Won't try it on at work so I'll find out how snug it is (size 9) tonight. 2Y - great advice. Does the Pam go inside or outside the suit? I gotta start getting serious about my transition planning.

Did a little brick this morning - 14 mile ride but only a 1.5 mile run. I have a tempo run tomorrow that I didn't really want to ruin, so figured I'd just get the feeling of the transition again. Averaged 7:40 on the run portion and 18.5 on my bike loops.

I tried using the multi-sport setting on my Garmin, but royally mucked it up. Guess reading the directions first would have been a good idea...
I sprayed the Pam right on my calves before putting on the suit. I read somewhere recently that some pros will do the whole exterior of the suit so that it slides off easier (against itself). I haven't had any issues with a wet wetsuit sticking to itself.For your Garmin, be sure to check for firmware updates if you get them for the device. They have add a ton of functionality to the 310XT and how it works with Garmin Connect and assume they've done the same for other devices. I can't stand multi-sport mode so far and, instead, have opted for the "one button" switch from swim to bike and the bike to run. It has worked well the last two events. It doesn't capture transition, but it does ensure I have the data fields the way I want them.

Coming out of the water, I stand up and pull the cord on the suit and then put my goggles and ear plugs in my cap. I then put the suit at my waist & run in to transition. At my bike, I push the right leg down as far as it'll go and rip the leg out, which pulls the leg of the suit inside out. I then step on the crotch of the suit with my right foot and rip the left leg out the same way.
I do it similarly ...unzip and peel it down to the hips while jogging to transition ...at transition, pull both sides down around the knees, getting it far enough where I can step on the peeled-down top ...step on the top; lift the leg high ...manually push it past the calves, and maybe push it over the heel while stepping on the top and lifting. Leave it in a heap and go (after putting on my biking gloves, of course ;) ).

Loving this thread, I tried to go back through it but didn't quite find what I was looking for in regards to tri bikes....I recently just sold my road bike and am hoping to upgrade to a tri bike and planning to do more half IMs and hopefully a full IM in 2011 and was curious if there was a particular model/brand that y'all recommended and have experience with that can be reliable to handle those distances (looking to keep the price tag below $3000), thanks for any suggestions!

My update:

My wet suit came in last night :pickle: I tried it on and it was pretty snug, but comfortable. I can't imagine getting out of this thing with any speed right now = something else to practice. I'm also signing up for an Oly tri the first week of Sept. as it's on a similar course as my HIM, and will likely be wetsuit legal (hard to find in TX in the summer). Today was a SRD after 5 straight days of training (a lot for me).
PSL - :hifive: I have my Orca sitting in a box next to me. Won't try it on at work so I'll find out how snug it is (size 9) tonight. 2Y - great advice. Does the Pam go inside or outside the suit? I gotta start getting serious about my transition planning.

:hifive: Mine is a size 7, and I think it fits like it's supposed to, but really have no clue. I do look mighty fine in it! I might try it out at our pool next weekend and scare some of the local children. :blackdot: for the advice from 2Young and Tri-man on how to "strip." I'm guessing Austin will have strippers for the HIM, though I doubt for the Oly. Here's the info related to the water and lake:

Labor Day water temperature is usually around 76-78 degrees, so the swim will likely be wetsuit legal. However, the extreme drought in 2009 caused warm water temperature and a non-wetsuit legal race. LadyBird Lake is controlled and regulated by the City of Austin. Water quality information may be obtained by email from Roger Glick.

My update:

PSL - :hifive: I have my Orca sitting in a box next to me. Won't try it on at work so I'll find out how snug it is (size 9) tonight. 2Y - great advice. Does the Pam go inside or outside the suit? I gotta start getting serious about my transition planning.

:hifive: Mine is a size 7, and I think it fits like it's supposed to, but really have no clue. I do look mighty fine in it! I might try it out at our pool next weekend and scare some of the local children. :blackdot: for the advice from 2Young and Tri-man on how to "strip." I'm guessing Austin will have strippers for the HIM, though I doubt for the Oly. Here's the info related to the water and lake:

Labor Day water temperature is usually around 76-78 degrees, so the swim will likely be wetsuit legal. However, the extreme drought in 2009 caused warm water temperature and a non-wetsuit legal race. LadyBird Lake is controlled and regulated by the City of Austin. Water quality information may be obtained by email from Roger Glick.
Can't help but think of this photo when wetsuit stripping is mentioned...

Flippin' buried at work, so sorry I haven't been posting much lately. I have basically nothing in terms of sales support right now, so all the mundane BS work that I should be delegating to an assistant falls directly on the lap of yours truly. Instead of doing stuff that will actually help grow my business, I spend my time doing paperwork and other crap that's totally non-productive. Sucks balls.

Stressed out beyond all belief, but I'm heading out now for 12. Hopefully I'll feel better afterwards.

Stressed out beyond all belief, but I'm heading out now for 12. Hopefully I'll feel better afterwards.
OK, now I feel better. Good, tough run tonight. Humid, hilly, HTFU 12-miler at 7:38 average pace with a big negative split (46:38/44:55).

Race itself sucked. I'm sure the humidity didn't help, but I think it had more to do with the lack of proper sleep the last 3-4 nights and the excessive amount of alcohol that I consumed on Wednesday and Thursday nights. Was OK through the first 5K (20:31), but then struggled on the backside, finishing in 42:34. Nowhere near a PR, and even further away from the elusive sub-40.
Hey everyone! It's been a while since I've been in here. My update:I did the same event as Gruecd....and had a similar experience. Humid, too much beer the previous 2 nights. I too was good through the first 5K (21:34), but struggled around mile 4.5. Finished in 45:58. Still a PR by almost 3 minutes! :confused: Over 18,000 runners so it was friggin crowded.Great job everyone! I love hearing the updates!

Loving this thread, I tried to go back through it but didn't quite find what I was looking for in regards to tri bikes....I recently just sold my road bike and am hoping to upgrade to a tri bike and planning to do more half IMs and hopefully a full IM in 2011 and was curious if there was a particular model/brand that y'all recommended and have experience with that can be reliable to handle those distances (looking to keep the price tag below $3000), thanks for any suggestions!
Lots of choices. A lot of it has to do with the type of bike fits you. A good Retul fit with some optimal stack and reach numbers will allow you to go over to Slowtwitch and see what bikes fit you well.But just from a bang/buck point of view the Felt B16 right now is really hard to beat. Great frame, good wheels, and decent components (and really on a tri bike you don't need the lightest components). And I love the black/red they have going. It looks awesome. $2300 MSRP.

Craptastic tempo run this morning - 70 degrees and 70% humidity, which isn't too bad, but the sun was out and seemed to really cook me.

2.5 miles - 7:38s, 173 bpm ave

2.75 miles - 8:28s, 180 bpm ave. That includes 2 minutes of walking ( :thumbup: ) when my HR initially hit 185. I let it drop to 150 before starting again, and it went right back above 180. It hit 191 at the end.

Overall 5.25 miles at 8:05s on a dialed-back target of 7:50s. Ugh.

So who wants to talk with me a bit about transitions? Are they always set up the same? How much space is "yours?" I assume there is some sort of bike rack involved?

Craptastic tempo run this morning - 70 degrees and 70% humidity, which isn't too bad, but the sun was out and seemed to really cook me. 2.5 miles - 7:38s, 173 bpm ave2.75 miles - 8:28s, 180 bpm ave. That includes 2 minutes of walking ( :X ) when my HR initially hit 185. I let it drop to 150 before starting again, and it went right back above 180. It hit 191 at the end. Overall 5.25 miles at 8:05s on a dialed-back target of 7:50s. Ugh. _____________________ So who wants to talk with me a bit about transitions? Are they always set up the same? How much space is "yours?" I assume there is some sort of bike rack involved?
I have had assigned rows and assigned spots. If its rows and not spots, get there early. The end spots are prime as you can set up your spot on the outside, versus in the row. I set up my towel to the right of my tire. I also have an obnoxious Sponge Bob towel I hang on the rack to the right of my bike. This does 3 things: helps me find my bike, give me something to wipe off with if I need it (which I typically don't) and most important, it seems to keep space between my bike and the bike to my right. For whatever reason, people are afraid to move Sponge Bob. I will use this towel to wipe my feet too.I set up a hand towel like this: bike shoes in front with race belt & number on top, I put this on first facing backwards after I get my suit off. Since I have been testing socks, I have one in each shoe making it them easy to grab. Behind those are my running shoes with my running hat on top and an extra gel &/or beans to the right. I also have a full water bottle to the right to quickly spray off my feet before putting on the bike shoes.I have my gear bag behind there and under the rack as a target to fling my cap, goggles & ear plugs in to, and for my helmet post ride. Don't sweat how tidy it is, there will be #### everywhere by the end of T2.For bike set up, be sure your front tire is facing bike out. You'll drop the seat and go forward (some make you alternate every other direction on the rack for space. If so, just be sure your front tire face the direction you want to go). Have your helmet on your bars facing you the way it'll go on. I keep mine unbuckled, but a pro I saw at a tri clinic said he buckles his so he can unbuckle it putting it on to ensure it doesn't get tangled(you cannot leave T1 unless the helmet is buckled. I weave my sunglasses in the vent on top of my helmet, again facing the way I need to put them on. Be sure to see what the terrain is like coming out of position, so your bike is geared accordingly.Call it OCD, but I have to visually go through T1 & T2 at my spot, twice, before I exit transition. I helps me be ready when I get there (and when the brain isn't quite right) and also makes sure you haven't forgotten something.I know you know this, but you are on the clock, transition is a competition on to itself. If you plan on fiddling with your Garmin, between modes, I do the bike in transition or coming in, but wait until I exit on the run. A couple of other tricks. Some folks use balloons to mark their spot. If you do, don't tie them to your bike. I saw a girl do this and could not get the knot out and was riding with the balloon. I'd advised against the balloon all together. Instead, mark your row with a tree, sign, etc outside of transiton and walk transition to your spot to see how this can be spotted. This weekend, someone put a big bow at the end of my rack. I was glad they did as iit helped me spot my spot even better.I am sure there is more I am missing and will post more if other things come to mind.

Last edited by a moderator:
So who wants to talk with me a bit about transitions? Are they always set up the same? How much space is "yours?" I assume there is some sort of bike rack involved?
Each one is different. For a local, sprint tri, don't expect a lot of space. It might resemble something like this:http://triathlons.thefuntimesguide.com/ima...lver-Starre.jpg

http://lh5.ggpht.com/dcrainmakerblog/SF7kq...x959_thumb2.jpg

or if you're really slow out of the water ...

http://rowerunning.co.uk/wp-content/upload...ian-racking.jpg

DO look at the terrain between the swim exit and the transition entrance. Lots of sand (that will need to be washed/wiped off?)? Asphalt (hard on the feet)?

What 2Young said. Know where your spot is!!! Play it safe and walk from the "swim in" to your spot ..count racks, note a nearby tree, look for someone else's distinguishing balloon or marking, etc. As 2Young describes, you're basically laying out gear in reverse order of need. Bring a knife, 'cause you can cut the tension that permeates the transition area before the race. :thumbup: Or find a 2Young type, and mess with him ("hey, cool bike helmet! Let me try it on ...Hey, this SpongeBob towel makes a great turban, don't ya think?").

I'm still gimping. The good news is my upper calf and back of the knee aren't as stiff and sore as they were, but the upper calf is still pretty painful to the touch. Seems like RICE is working, but slowly.

The bad news is I think I might be developing a Baker cyst behind my left knee. This a.m. I asked my wife to look at my legs from behind and tell me if she saw anything -- sure enough, she spotted the small lump I thought was there but wasn't totally sure of. It's pretty tiny, but it's there.

Here's my current plan:

1. Don't call the doctor yet. If RICE is working, then what's the point?

2. Do run a 2 or 3-mile recovery jog tonight. I shut down Tuesday's 4 miles after running 3 - I want to see how the leg feels in comparison and also try to maintain a semblance of conditioning as this things heals.

3. Don't decide yet about Saturday's 10-mile race. Going to wait to see how I feel tomorrow (and even Saturday) after tonight's jog. Still leaning toward doing it, but just as a long run/jog.

4. Do take most/all of next week off to see if I'm better or a doctor's visit is needed and get myself rested and healthy to start marathon training.

I'm still gimping. The good news is my upper calf and back of the knee aren't as stiff and sore as they were, but the upper calf is still pretty painful to the touch. Seems like RICE is working, but slowly.

The bad news is I think I might be developing a Baker cyst behind my left knee. This a.m. I asked my wife to look at my legs from behind and tell me if she saw anything -- sure enough, she spotted the small lump I thought was there but wasn't totally sure of. It's pretty tiny, but it's there.

Here's my current plan:

2. Do run a 2 or 3-mile recovery jog tonight. I shut down Tuesday's 4 miles after running 3 - I want to see how the leg feels in comparison and also try to maintain a semblance of conditioning as this things heals.

3. Don't decide yet about Saturday's 10-mile race. Going to wait to see how I feel tomorrow (and even Saturday) after tonight's jog. Still leaning toward doing it, but just as a long run/jog.

4. Do take most/all of next week off to see if I'm better or a doctor's visit is needed and get myself rested and healthy to start marathon training.
I just googled "Baker cyst" and read the first article that popped up, so with my newfound expertise I'm going to recommend a visit to your doctor. It sounds like you really don't want this thing to rupture, and it can possibly be cleared up with something as simple as a cortisone shot. If you weren't training for anything in particular, I could see letting it go and hoping it clears up on its own, but if you're looking to do a fall marathon, you want to be as healthy as possible before you start your training program. If it was me, I'd get it looked at and hopefully cleared. Your doctor could also possibly give you an idea as to whether the 10-miler on Saturday is a good idea or not, but that dependso on your doctor. Some of them can give good running-related advice, while others can't.

Here's my current plan:

I've posted this before, "medicinal runs" helped me overcome a calf issue this winter quite quickly.

Sand said:
Lots of choices. A lot of it has to do with the type of bike fits you. A good Retul fit with some optimal stack and reach numbers will allow you to go over to Slowtwitch and see what bikes fit you well.But just from a bang/buck point of view the Felt B16 right now is really hard to beat. Great frame, good wheels, and decent components (and really on a tri bike you don't need the lightest components). And I love the black/red they have going. It looks awesome. $2300 MSRP.
IF I had a couple thousand $'s hanging around, I'd spend them on this or this. For a full IM, a carbon frame would be nice. The first link is SRAM, which would be my choice, the second is DA, but a slightly lighter frame. I'm not a fan of the Aksium wheels, but they are not bad (a bit heavy, but strong). 2Young: thanks a ton for the calf link. I've made two copies of it, and will heed the advice to hopefully avoid future prob's. Calves are not to be ####ed with!

My update:

The soon to be former Mrs. moved out last night = I couldn't get my scheduled morning run in. She's coming over tonight to watch the kids for me so that I can get it in then. The problem is that the temp will likely be in the mid-90's = UGH! I start my swim training on Saturday, as I'll be at conference hotel with a lap pool. I'm also bringing my bike, in case I can find a local ride (San Antonio).

Question: am I supposed to be able to get into my wetsuit w/o help :eek: I'm afraid I'm going to break the zipper tugging on it to pull it up.

Question: am I supposed to be able to get into my wetsuit w/o help :yes: I'm afraid I'm going to break the zipper tugging on it to pull it up.
Learned this the hard way. I found that if I reach back with my left hand and pinch and pull down at the base of the zipper with my thumb and index finger and then pull straight up on the cord with my right, I can get in very easy. When I tried to do it without the pinch, I couldn't get the zipper to budge and had to get help. This doesn't happen with my shorty, just the Farmer John.

Question: am I supposed to be able to get into my wetsuit w/o help <_< I'm afraid I'm going to break the zipper tugging on it to pull it up.
Basically: Yes. You shouldn't need to tug. The zipper has a long strap attached, I presume. Get the end of the strap in your hand, bend your elbow fully and reach back over your shoulder (strap in hand) like you're scratching the middle of your back. It should pull up. Being a new suit, maybe it still has a bit of stick at the very start of the zipper (maybe touch that with a bit of vaseline to lubricate it a little?).

Question: am I supposed to be able to get into my wetsuit w/o help :lmao: I'm afraid I'm going to break the zipper tugging on it to pull it up.
Basically: Yes. You shouldn't need to tug. The zipper has a long strap attached, I presume. Get the end of the strap in your hand, bend your elbow fully and reach back over your shoulder (strap in hand) like you're scratching the middle of your back. It should pull up. Being a new suit, maybe it still has a bit of stick at the very start of the zipper (maybe touch that with a bit of vaseline to lubricate it a little?).
So first I lubricate it with vaseline, then bend my elbow, grab the long thing and start pulling... :D

Sand said:
IF I had a couple thousand $'s hanging around, I'd spend them on this or this. For a full IM, a carbon frame would be nice. The first link is SRAM, which would be my choice, the second is DA, but a slightly lighter frame. I'm not a fan of the Aksium wheels, but they are not bad (a bit heavy, but strong).
http://cgi.ebay.com/CERVELO-P2C-Frameset-S...=item3a5c153462http://cgi.ebay.com/2009-Cervelo-P1-TT-Tri...=item3f00b32f2d

So first I lubricate it with vaseline, then bend my elbow, grab the long thing and start pulling... :rolleyes:
Sing along: "I'm a single man; I'm a single man. I'm a single man; I'm a single man. ...If you really love it, gotta put some lube on it; If you really love it, gotta put some lube on it ...do do do .. do do, do do ..."

IF I had a couple thousand $'s hanging around, I'd spend them on this or this. For a full IM, a carbon frame would be nice. The first link is SRAM, which would be my choice, the second is DA, but a slightly lighter frame. I'm not a fan of the Aksium wheels, but they are not bad (a bit heavy, but strong).
As much as I like Kestrel (heck, I own one), that Felt is sexy. And the weight of the bike in tri is pretty much irrelevant.
My update:

The soon to be former Mrs. moved out last night = I couldn't get my scheduled morning run in. She's coming over tonight to watch the kids for me so that I can get it in then. The problem is that the temp will likely be in the mid-90's = UGH! I start my swim training on Saturday, as I'll be at conference hotel with a lap pool. I'm also bringing my bike, in case I can find a local ride (San Antonio).
Short term pain resulting in long, long, long term gain.I am with you on hating this weather pattern. I am not enjoying this New Orleans in August weather for training. (And I grew up in NO, so I know of whence I speak.)

Nine miles for me tonight at 8:02 pace. With all this humidity, it feels like I've been running in the jungle lately. Forecast for tomorrow morning? 70 degrees and 90% humidity. :blackdot:

followed up my crappy run with a crappy swim today - just wasn't feeling it at all. Ended up doing 1200 meters and calling it a day. At least there were some co-eds home from college hanging out in the sun poolside, so it wasn't a TOTAL loss.

Few more transition / triathlon questions:

1) Why a race belt? Can't I just put my race number on my shirt (assuming I'm wearing the same shirt for the bike and run)?

2) 2Y why a small / hand towel for your gear? Just because of the limited space?

3) Do you typically enter one side of the transition area, and exit the other? Do you do the same for both transitions?

I really can't wait to get this one under my belt (and call myself a triathlete!)

1) Why a race belt? Can't I just put my race number on my shirt (assuming I'm wearing the same shirt for the bike and run)?
Because you don't want to swim with a race number pinned to your shirt and you sure don't want to try and put on a short on a wet body in transition (nigh impossible). I put my racebelt on top of my running shoes, run out of T2 with it in my mouth and put it on as I run. Quick, easy, and fast.
2) 2Y why a small / hand towel for your gear? Just because of the limited space?

3) Do you typically enter one side of the transition area, and exit the other? Do you do the same for both transitions?
You should get a race packet with a map of transition flow. But yes, you typically come in one side and then flow left to right (or right to left) so the traffic flow is all in the same direction and then out the other side. In all the ones I have done there were many volunteers there to tell you which way to flow through.BTW, I look at the T1 map closely and put my bike sticking out in the direction that lets me run out with it on my right (typically you can hang your bike in either direction). I like mounting the bike from that side.

Edited to add: Here is the race booklet from my race last weekend. You can see the general flow in the transition diagram.

Good swim yesterday, 10 X 200 with 250 warm up, 250 cool down. But why does my lower back hurt like a ##### and has all yesterday? May have twisted it on a flip turn trying to avoid a doofus that was jumping into my lane as I'm about to turn.

Because you don't want to swim with a race number pinned to your shirt and you sure don't want to try and put on a short on a wet body in transition (nigh impossible). I put my racebelt on top of my running shoes, run out of T2 with it in my mouth and put it on as I run. Quick, easy, and fast.
Good answer, although my first HIM I put on bike shorts at T1, switched them out for running shorts with pockets during T2. (I bought tri-shorts afterwards.) For me the belt is simply easier than pinning and trying to find the right spot on the shirt/shorts to pin. After doing a few races with the belt (still more runs than tri), it's been well worth it. Also for the Kansas HIM we had to have the number on our back for the bike, front for the run. They gave two numbers but it was so much easier to simply turn the belt around while heading out T2.
Pretty much, although I didn't use a towel last race and it didn't matter just put on my socks and shirt wet.

You should get a race packet with a map of transition flow. But yes, you typically come in one side and then flow left to right (or right to left) so the traffic flow is all in the same direction and then out the other side. In all the ones I have done there were many volunteers there to tell you which way to flow through.BTW, I look at the T1 map closely and put my bike sticking out in the direction that lets me run out with it on my right (typically you can hang your bike in either direction). I like mounting the bike from that side.

Edited to add: Here is the race booklet from my race last weekend. You can see the general flow in the transition diagram.
:banned: As I recall, you wear a tank tech top when you run. Wear this under your wetsuit to avoid having to put on a shirt in transition. You may want to pick up a tri top (there are typically tons, cheap on eBay). They dry real quick on the bike and most have back pouches you can load with gels, etc. You don't need the belt and bib for the bike. I prefer to put it on then as T1 is my slower transition. I like to fling my helmet, swap shoes and go. Also, its a penalty (or even DQ) if you don't have the bib for the run. Wearing it on the bike gives me a 2nd chance to put it on if I miss it at T1 (hasn't happened yet, but I like to over think things).

Yes to the hand towel, it is the right size. Reading the rules for Muncie, they require shoes be set up right in front of the bike for space concerns. This reminded me of something. Pack a garbage bag in your transition kit. It makes a great rain cover for your shoes (the towel keeps the shoes off the grass & claims your space).

All big tris I have done have banners or labels of the inflateables that clearly state RUN IN/RUN OUT, BIKE IN/BIKE OUT. Like Sand said, the one small town one I did had volunteers pointing them out too. Important point, there will be a mount/dismount like spray painted of chalked outside of transition. Look for this pre-race too so you know where to get on and off your bike. Like tri-man said, walk from the beach in to transition, walk out as if you were with your bike, walk back in and do the same for your run.

There will be a course meeting, I would think, to go over all of this before the event. This past weekend, they even talked about the swim course as a guy on a jetski rode it. If you packet pick up the day before, part or all of transition will be set up. This is a free chance to study it. Also, I like when they have the swim course set up the day before too. I'll bring my swim gear and swim a 100 or 200 or so and will round at least one buoy to get a feel for the course. I will also look for things to spot beyond the buoy, like trees, houses, buildings. These are much easier to spot than the buoys and even easier if the sun is a problem.

I may look like a dweeb, but I swim in my race number. Go to Lowe's / Home Depot and buy some spray on adhesive. Spray it on the back of the number and then press it to your top. The edges end up flush and don't flap. It won't come off in the water. Best of all, no chance of forgeting your race belt or having it on backwards and drawing a penalty. It's also one less thing I have to mess with in T2...might save me 2-3 seconds. Disclaimer - this will leave residue on your shirt top. It will come off with goo be gone if you're persistant. I don't worry about it and just keep applying the number in the same place for future races.

Users who are viewing this thread