What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Ran a 10k - Official Thread (6 Viewers)

The times would count for BOTH 2022 and 2023.  You could double dip.
I ran the Erie Marathon a couple of times when it fell on the middle weekend of Boston's 2-week registration period.  When registration opens for one year, typically the qualifying window for the following year opens at the same time.  So I'd qualify at Erie then go to my hotel and immediately register for the upcoming Boston.  And use that same time for the following year.

Just did a flyby on strava for a couple recent runs. Noticed a guy in my hood who does generally the same routes, but a hair faster. 

Do I reach out to him to be a run-buddy or is that just desperate/creepy. 

Back in the day (before @tri-man 47 qualified for Social Security), there were "last chance" marathons in March and early April where you could literally run a marathon, qualify, and then turn around and run Boston a few weeks later.
Hey!  My technical start date isn't until December.   :D   Even then, I'll put it off and let the benefit grow by 8%/year for a few more years since I'm still enjoying most aspects of the academic life.

Waiting to see how Boston handles the registration parameters for their announced October race.  I'm ready to drop my 37 minute AG buffer on 'em.  :boxing:

Just did a flyby on strava for a couple recent runs. Noticed a guy in my hood who does generally the same routes, but a hair faster. 

Do I reach out to him to be a run-buddy or is that just desperate/creepy. 
You could at least reach out and request to follow him ...see how he responds and take it from there.

You could at least reach out and request to follow him ...see how he responds and take it from there.
I disagree.  He needs to be more proactive.  He should figure out the guys address and start sending gifts.  Maybe a nice balaclava and later some OOFOS recovery sandals.  The gift cards should just read "Kudos!".  

Build some intrigue before the follow request.

I disagree.  He needs to be more proactive.  He should figure out the guys address and start sending gifts.  Maybe a nice balaclava and later some OOFOS recovery sandals.  The gift cards should just read "Kudos!".  

Build some intrigue before the follow request.
Nah, just wait outside his house and address him by name when he comes out to run.  Not creepy at all.

Please record your first meeting/date. Let us know what you're going to wear. 

If you need help with some opening lines, I'm sure we can help.

-- "Hey, do you mind if I look at your functioning watch? Mine doesn't like to connect and I wanted to see what you have"

-- "Hi there, do you know any websites to help with bear attacks while you run? I do!!"

-- "How many layers do you have on?"

-- "Do you know @Zasada or @Juxtatarot from the internet?"

Literally my favorite race.  Flat, fast, affordable, predictably perfect (cold) weather, and super easy logistics.  You can literally sit in your hotel room until 20-30 minutes before the gun.

Oh, and for afterwards, there's a nearby bar called Kilroy's that has 20 different flavors of 32-oz long islands...
and you get to meet me!

gruecd said:
Indianapolis Monumental Marathon on November 6.  There's a half marathon option, too.

Absolutely no clue in hell how Boston registration is going to work....for this year (if it happens) or next year.  If I had to guess, I'd bet they'll open registration for next year in September like usual, and it might just be like the old days where it doesn't fill up right away and it just stays open on a FCFS basis until it does.
The official FBG hotel in Indy is the JW Marriott.  Recommend you get a room now (just make sure its refundable and can cancel with no penalty.)  It usually fills up and with people itching to race, I have no idea how races will be once we are back to "normal".  We could see lots of sell outs of races and hotels.

BTW -- Indy sold out before COVID.

The official FBG hotel in Indy is the JW Marriott.  Recommend you get a room now (just make sure its refundable and can cancel with no penalty.)  It usually fills up and with people itching to race, I have no idea how races will be once we are back to "normal".  We could see lots of sell outs of races and hotels.

I'd think there's potential for more to open if restrictions change, yes?

gianmarco said:

-- ""NHey, do you mind if I look at your functioning watch? Mine doesn't like to connect and I wanted to see what you have"

-- "Hi there, do you know any websites to help with bear attacks while you run? I do!!"

"Nice toque!  I like to say that word: 'Toque.'  Is yours wool?"

gianmarco said:

-- "Hey, do you mind if I look at your functioning watch? Mine doesn't like to connect and I wanted to see what you have"

How many pairs of hand condoms do you wear to stay......warm......

Race (marathon) registered and hotel booked. Wife still deciding if she'll run the half but I'm pretty sure she will be in. 

Welp, time to get out there and start :boxing:

43, feels like 38... But raining. Is assume this is Florida weather, all balmy and warm.

Bridge was a little icy on Sunday, but has to have been melted out by now. Off for some hill/bridge repeats.

43, feels like 38... But raining. Is assume this is Florida weather, all balmy and warm.

Bridge was a little icy on Sunday, but has to have been melted out by now. Off for some hill/bridge repeats.
Great conditions and no ice on the bridge. Misting more than rain, but still good to have the cap on, and nice to be back in shorts.

Thought I was really booking until I saw the results afterwards. Been a couple weeks at least without hill work or even speed and I'm obviously feeling it. 

15 minutes is nice. although, being in the JW is way more convenient than the short drive downtown. 
We have a friend of ours that has a condo downtown Indy, so lodging isn't an issue. My decision making would be vastly different had I made it to Boston before, but I haven't and that's my priority. Putting myself in a position in which it's Indy or bust then getting November 2020 weather with no backup plan runs counter to that goal.

We have a friend of ours that has a condo downtown Indy, so lodging isn't an issue. My decision making would be vastly different had I made it to Boston before, but I haven't and that's my priority. Putting myself in a position in which it's Indy or bust then getting November 2020 weather with no backup plan runs counter to that goal.
If I'm not mistaken, the weather in Indy in early November is remarkably consistent (and consistently good for racing).  I remember looking it up last year and it was amazing how it was like 30-45 degrees every year.

Unless I'm missing a line of thinking, having this as the goal race and using the local race as a backup (where your weather is more unpredictable) seems to give you a better chance to BQ. 

But, whatever you think is the best way to get you there is the way to go, obviously.

Last edited by a moderator:
If I'm not mistaken, the weather in Indy in early November is remarkably consistent (and consistently good for racing).  I remember looking it up last year and it was amazing how it was like 30-45 degrees every year.
It was in the mid 70's Nov 2020

Unless I'm missing a line of thinking, having this as the goal race and using the local race as a backup (where your weather is more unpredictable) seems to give you a better chance to BQ. 

But, whatever you think is the best way to get you there is the way to go, obviously.
If the local race were Nov 13 and not Oct 31 then that is exactly what I would do. That's not an if-then reality though.

If the local race were Nov 13 and not Oct 31 then that is exactly what I would do. That's not an if-then reality though.
Right, but unless your local race sells out early, I don't see the issue.  You'll know the weather coming up (at least good enough to know if you need to pivot) and can always change to the local one last minute easier than vice versa, I would think, right?  Being only a week apart, you can see the 2 week forecast and race the week before if Indy is so bad it's going to affect your BQ chance.

Last edited by a moderator:
Right, but unless your local race sells out early, I don't see the issue.  You'll know the weather coming up (at least good enough to know if you need to pivot) and can always change to the local one last minute easier than vice versa, I would think, right? 
:mellow:

It was in the mid 70's Nov 2020
Start: Clear, 53°F, Feels like 53°F, Humidity 71%, Wind 5mph from S, DewPoint 44°F

That was the temps on race day at about 10am this year - that's from a strava run I did with a friend that was running it virtually.

Users who are viewing this thread