What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Ran a 10k - Official Thread (7 Viewers)

I think the Samsung Active 2 LTE has everything you need, especially if you have a Samsung phone.

It does Spotify

You can install other apps through the Galaxy App store. I have the non-LTE version and love it. Very lightweight, can't tell it's even on my wrist. Works great with my Galaxy phone.

And the watch is on sale now too.
It doesn't do audible/audio books or xm radio but does most of the rest so maybe this is the short term answer and then I can wait for the next one to come out 

Appreciate the effort you are a good dude 

Just need to vent a little.  Or put thoughts to text.  Or whatever.  This will be really rambling.

In the last ~month or so, I've managed to Strava-PR my 10K and HM distances on (essentially) training runs.  Both I ran with purpose, but not race effort.  So my street-running fitness appears to be peaking (trail running is another story, but that's a whole different whiny post).

Over this same month, I've been just running through my glute pain.  It's not getting worse, but it would be nice to have a run where I didn't notice it.  But you play the hand you're dealt, right?  At least it's not getting worse.

What's new is a lower leg injury.  It started as barely noticeable, but over the course of the last few weeks, it's been getting worse with every run.  Just a little worse with each run, but worse.  

Saturday (my unofficial HM PR run) I had double-dosed on Naproxen the night before.  Which makes the leg pain immaterial (but still present).  The downside of Naproxen is that it screws-up my gut.  So I didn't take any on Saturday night.  And Sunday, my lower leg pain was the worst it has been, and I was running slow whether I wanted to or not.  

It was bad again when I got out of bed this morning, and I tried to diagnose it.  It's on the inside of my lower right leg, about halfway up.  Definitely not the calf itself.  I think it's either achilles or soleus.  But hard to be sure.

At the start of this year, I told myself I wasn't going to set an annual distance goal.  I wanted to run "better", not "farther".  Incorporate some strength work.  More speedwork.  

Yet every single week I find myself mentally measuring myself against my old 2020 weekly goal of ~55mi/week.  I can't escape it.  I can't take an extra day off, because then I'll drop 7mi off my "pace".  The "pace" I'm not supposed to be even pursuing.

The annual mileage goal is incredible at getting me out running when I don't want to be.  And it's clearly driving me to be more fit.  But it's also forcing me to just run through injury.  And not want to take more than two rest days a week (when I do strength training).  

Anyways, where is all this going? 

I'm currently torn between taking a ~week off (to try to let my leg heal), or just trying to run through the injury and load up on more drugs, gut be damned.

And then I had a crazy idea.  ???

Since I'm at peak fitness, I was considering trying to find a HM to race.  And try to make my PR official.  And put a true race effort in.

What if I combined my injury rest with a taper?  And race a HM in a week or two?

There's the Cowtown HM in a couple of weeks near me.  But it has a stupid amount of elevation gain just in the first two miles.  Not exactly PR-friendly.

I could easily travel to a different HM.  I used to live in the Chicagoland suburbs and there's a race there (might actually be the same one @Juxtatarot is targeting).  Elevation doesn't appear to be horrible.  Also I used to live in Houston, and there's a race there that's pretty flat.  My preference would be to go run the Vegas R&R HM again (the only two HM races I've ever run), but that's not for another year (been moved permanently from a fall race to a spring one, skipping this year).  So I could just wait a year and race that again.

So at the end of the day, I really don't know what I'm going to do.  Like I said, this is just more venting/rambling than anything else.  I'm happy that my fitness is improving, but worried this injury is going to be a repeat of mid-2020 when I had to take a ~month off and regressed like crazy.

:shrug:

Sorry for the long post.  And I didn't even touch on my ultra goals for 2021!  Hah.

Just need to vent a little.  Or put thoughts to text.  Or whatever.  This will be really rambling.

In the last ~month or so, I've managed to Strava-PR my 10K and HM distances on (essentially) training runs.  Both I ran with purpose, but not race effort.  So my street-running fitness appears to be peaking (trail running is another story, but that's a whole different whiny post).

Over this same month, I've been just running through my glute pain.  It's not getting worse, but it would be nice to have a run where I didn't notice it.  But you play the hand you're dealt, right?  At least it's not getting worse.

What's new is a lower leg injury.  It started as barely noticeable, but over the course of the last few weeks, it's been getting worse with every run.  Just a little worse with each run, but worse.  

Saturday (my unofficial HM PR run) I had double-dosed on Naproxen the night before.  Which makes the leg pain immaterial (but still present).  The downside of Naproxen is that it screws-up my gut.  So I didn't take any on Saturday night.  And Sunday, my lower leg pain was the worst it has been, and I was running slow whether I wanted to or not.  

It was bad again when I got out of bed this morning, and I tried to diagnose it.  It's on the inside of my lower right leg, about halfway up.  Definitely not the calf itself.  I think it's either achilles or soleus.  But hard to be sure.

At the start of this year, I told myself I wasn't going to set an annual distance goal.  I wanted to run "better", not "farther".  Incorporate some strength work.  More speedwork.  

Yet every single week I find myself mentally measuring myself against my old 2020 weekly goal of ~55mi/week.  I can't escape it.  I can't take an extra day off, because then I'll drop 7mi off my "pace".  The "pace" I'm not supposed to be even pursuing.

The annual mileage goal is incredible at getting me out running when I don't want to be.  And it's clearly driving me to be more fit.  But it's also forcing me to just run through injury.  And not want to take more than two rest days a week (when I do strength training).  

I'm currently torn between taking a ~week off (to try to let my leg heal), or just trying to run through the injury and load up on more drugs, gut be damned.

Since I'm at peak fitness, I was considering trying to find a HM to race.  And try to make my PR official.  And put a true race effort in.

What if I combined my injury rest with a taper?  And race a HM in a week or two?

There's the Cowtown HM in a couple of weeks near me.  But it has a stupid amount of elevation gain just in the first two miles.  Not exactly PR-friendly.

I could easily travel to a different HM.  I used to live in the Chicagoland suburbs and there's a race there (might actually be the same one @Juxtatarot is targeting).  Elevation doesn't appear to be horrible.  Also I used to live in Houston, and there's a race there that's pretty flat.  My preference would be to go run the Vegas R&R HM again (the only two HM races I've ever run), but that's not for another year (been moved permanently from a fall race to a spring one, skipping this year).  So I could just wait a year and race that again.

So at the end of the day, I really don't know what I'm going to do.  Like I said, this is just more venting/rambling than anything else.  I'm happy that my fitness is improving, but worried this injury is going to be a repeat of mid-2020 when I had to take a ~month off and regressed like crazy.

Sorry for the long post.  And I didn't even touch on my ultra goals for 2021!  Hah.
Yeah, that’s the same half marathon. @tri-man 47 is running it too. I’m not positive I’m going to be healthy either though.

@Zasada - a lot to unpack in that post. Just some thoughts:

It sounds to me like you need a break. For two reasons:

1. You have to take medication to be able to run (or at least after you run)

2. Mentally you feel like you cannot stop.

To me those sound like major red flags to step back. I know it's hard - especially for you since you have built up this amazing body of work. But you may be paying the bill for all that mileage now.

I like the HM idea for the ideas you do. Sub 1:40, baby! And give your leg a little taper and post race rest.

I also recommend NOT self diagnosing and going to get an actual diagnosis and some proper direction for PT...ideally from a doc who understands running. Sooner than later. Don't misdirect any time, training or fitness on this IMO. Laser focus it to what's wrong so you can keep building, or at least not lose by hurting yourself.

Keep the above in mind while re-reading the below.

Yet every single week I find myself mentally measuring myself against my old 2020 weekly goal of ~55mi/week.  
Your objective is run better, not further (great!). But you're running through the same glute discomfort as 2020 and added an additional ailment on top of it. It's just an educated guess, but this is screaming over-compensation.

I'm currently torn between taking a ~week off (to try to let my leg heal), or just trying to run through the injury

(snip)

I'm happy that my fitness is improving, but worried this injury is going to be a repeat of mid-2020 when I had to take a ~month off and regressed like crazy.
If a month off in 2020 didn't fix the problem then how would a week off in 2021 accomplish that goal? I know you know that answer, but I thought reading that question from someone else rather than your own head may benefit.

And I didn't even touch on my ultra goals for 2021!  Hah.
This is going to come across as more doom and gloom than intended, but I'd hate to see you suffer a similar fate as others that used to be extremely active in this thread only to progress from hurt to injured to not posting in here anymore. You have a lot of (great!) goals that have been driving you, but how are you going to accomplish them given all of the above? If you're healthy enough to race then I love the idea of taking advantage of your current fitness. This may be the best cardio conditioning of your life. Go for it! But you've gotta get your body right on the other side in order to progress beyond this point (cont.)

The smart decision is to shut it down for a bit and do some cross training.  That being said, I understand (more than you can imagine) chasing mileage goals.  Loading up on meds just so you can run is not a good long term strategy.

For a middle ground, I recommend you find a HM, race it and then spend that hot Texas summer recovering and giving up on all mileage goals.

My glute is definitely the best its been in nearly a year.  I think its a combo of standing a lot more (when COVID hit, my life was zoom all day every day which led to way too much sitting -- the standing desk has been a live saver); doing glute strengthening workouts (thanks Peloton!); and cross training -- namely bike riding. 

I also found a glute stretch that seems to really work and I do it after every run.

For your competitive side, work on strengthening. Do a bunch of bodyweight workouts (check Youtube).  Focus on your pushup struggles and get over that hurdle.  There are things that will challenge you physically that don't involve running. 

You are a good dude and hope this helps you find some solace and ideas about moving forward.

(cont.) Putting this separate because this is more about me, but I hope you (Z) get some benefit from this too.

I get it's difficult to come to terms with taking such a meaningful step back. Our path's have been different (my stubbornness was with quality while yours with quantity), but I've drawn parallels between your journey and mine. Until I took a step back in 2015 to get right and not repeat the mistake going forward I had a ceiling. It didn't feel that way at the time, but after I made those corrections I soon realized that ceiling was made of glass. I didn't think what I experienced from 2016-July 2020 was possible until it became a reality.

Last year is such a blur my recall may not be accurate, but aside from my YE report I tried to be quiet about how much my post accident period sucked. To say going from being a month away from qualifying for Boston, to covid, to ran over by a car with an unknown recovery timeline was demoralizing would be a vast understatement. But the last thing others needed amidst our pandemic reality was more complaining, so I harnessed as much of that negativity as I could and focused on what I controlled. And the only thing I could control was getting my body in balance again. I knew I couldn't move forward until I did, so I deleted all of my goals and have tried (at times unsuccessfully) to not think more than one month ahead until recovered.

And I'm still not. I didn't mention it prior and before your post I was considering keeping this to myself, but a sense of relief came over me the other day when our summer schedule filled up enough that I thought I could justify removing a fall marathon from my schedule (and my mind). This recent stretch has been the best one since the accident and it's evident in my cardio, but another ailment has surfaced. I'm encouraged that each one has been a little different and this one like January's appears minor, but my balky left wheel is back. I'm currently running through it and it's been better each run since it first appeared on the 10th, but in the interest of transparency until I actually deleted the marathon plan it was influencing my decision making. Now I'm back to taking it one day at a time and if it gets worse or I experience discomfort anywhere else then I'll pull the plug. 

This is setback #5 as I'm writing this exactly 9 months after the accident, but unlike last week I'm not really all that discouraged. It is because I have 2015 and what followed to draw back to though (I get that you don't). I am confident that if I keep doing the right things like I did that year that eventually I will get back to where I was during my peak. But I cannot force that path if my body is saying no. I've gotta keep my focus on the now and not worry about the later until I've strung enough ailment free weeks together. Cause there is no peak until after my body is right.

Thanks, guys, appreciate all the feedback and support.

If a month off in 2020 didn't fix the problem then how would a week off in 2021 accomplish that goal? I know you know that answer, but I thought reading that question from someone else rather than your own head may benefit.
A month off in 2020 did get my glute to a place that I could run through the pain, and not limp.  Maybe two months off could have helped more?  I don't know.  

But that's why I just run through the pain now.  A month didn't fix it entirely, and an extra day off hasn't helped in the past, so why bother?  If it's there, but manageable, then I'll take it.

Considering taking this week off was to manage the totally new calf issue.  Which brings me to:

@Zasada What stretching and strengthening exercises are you doing for your calves?
Zero.  At the office from time to time, I'll stretch them out.  But over the last two years, I have had zero lower-leg issues.  Always been my butt and groin that would get sore after a race effort or a high(er)-volume week.  So this is really new.

My glute is definitely the best its been in nearly a year.  I think its a combo of standing a lot more (when COVID hit, my life was zoom all day every day which led to way too much sitting -- the standing desk has been a live saver); doing glute strengthening workouts (thanks Peloton!); and cross training -- namely bike riding. 

I also found a glute stretch that seems to really work and I do it after every run.
Yes, I remember you posting about this a few weeks ago, and I've been trying to stand more at the office than I have in the past.  It think it has been helping!

Alongside @Juxtatarot, I'd love to know the stretch you're doing as well!

This is going to come across as more doom and gloom than intended, but I'd hate to see you suffer a similar fate as others that used to be extremely active in this thread only to progress from hurt to injured to not posting in here anymore. You have a lot of (great!) goals that have been driving you, but how are you going to accomplish them given all of the above? If you're healthy enough to race then I love the idea of taking advantage of your current fitness. This may be the best cardio conditioning of your life. Go for it! But you've gotta get your body right on the other side in order to progress beyond this point (cont.)
I have a huge fear of quitting as well (and disappearing from this awesome thread).  But that fear of quitting manifests itself as a mileage goal, which then translates to me getting out and running each day.  I know getting hurt can turn into a long-term shutdown, but I don't know if I have the mental fortitude for a short-term shutdown (which I fear becomes a long one out of laziness and not injury).

The smart decision is to shut it down for a bit and do some cross training.  That being said, I understand (more than you can imagine) chasing mileage goals.  Loading up on meds just so you can run is not a good long term strategy.

For a middle ground, I recommend you find a HM, race it and then spend that hot Texas summer recovering and giving up on all mileage goals.
Mentally, I can't do a long(er)-term shutdown until I try my 100K.  I've been training for this mother####ing 100K for almost two years now.  I just can't put my foot on the brake until that happens.  Maybe I can take my foot off the gas for a little bit.  But hopefully I can maintain fitness for a few months without an extended shutdown (either by choice or not).  The 10K and HM PRs are nice.  But they're just the crumbs on the trail for me.  My payday is the ultra I have longed to run since I hit my head that fall morning (literally) and signed-up for Miwok.  In 2019.

I also recommend NOT self diagnosing and going to get an actual diagnosis and some proper direction for PT...ideally from a doc who understands running. Sooner than later. Don't misdirect any time, training or fitness on this IMO. Laser focus it to what's wrong so you can keep building, or at least not lose by hurting yourself.
Thank you for this.  I just booked an appointment.  Soonest I can get seen is Thursday afternoon.  Great advice, and something I should have done way before my glute injury got to the point that I almost couldn't even walk.

For your competitive side, work on strengthening. Do a bunch of bodyweight workouts (check Youtube).  Focus on your pushup struggles and get over that hurdle.  There are things that will challenge you physically that don't involve running. 
I haven't talked about it much, but I've been pretty vigilant about 2x weekly weights and glute exercises.  The former is to try to tackle pushups, and the latter to try to strengthen my running muscles.  Maybe I can make it 3x or 4x for a few weeks, in a trade for running days.

Seeing @MAC_32 and @gruecd run with such intensity and purpose is something I need to learn from (trading quantity for quality).  @Juxtatarot's focus on strengthening, and how it has translated to new PRs, is another.  Juxt and I have such similar builds (as opposed to the two above BEEFCAKES).

At the end of the day I need to find a way to resolve, internally, that I can moderate mileage and not lose my habit entirely.

Appreciate all the feedback and advice, guys.  Most supportive thread on the internet, let alone this forum.

@Zasada - a lot to unpack in that post. Just some thoughts:

It sounds to me like you need a break. For two reasons:

1. You have to take medication to be able to run (or at least after you run)

2. Mentally you feel like you cannot stop.

To me those sound like major red flags to step back. I know it's hard - especially for you since you have built up this amazing body of work. But you may be paying the bill for all that mileage now.
Agree here.

@Zasada I don’t know what the right answer is or what others do but I am very careful about running through stuff only bc of aleve/Advil.  

This seems like an appropriate time to say that my knee has been sore since the marathon, so I'm going today to see if I can get either a cortisone shot or some steroids to knock out the inflammation.  Rest, schmest.

A month off in 2020 did get my glute to a place that I could run through the pain, and not limp.  Maybe two months off could have helped more?  I don't know.  
Hopefully you'll get at least some clarity on Thursday, but knee jerk - the answer may not necessarily be rest. The if-then tree has many...many different branches, but between your cumulative output and what you've shared my intuition has me thinking you have a muscle imbalance that manifests after X volume. If that's right then figure out how to fix that imbalance then sustain the volume and that may be the key to unlocking the next level. That 'fix' process isn't a smooth ride though.

Zero.  At the office from time to time, I'll stretch them out.  But over the last two years, I have had zero lower-leg issues.  Always been my butt and groin that would get sore after a race effort or a high(er)-volume week.  So this is really new.
You probably know what to do. Roll every day as well as eccentric heel drops for strengthening and do wall push stretches (including bent leg so you stretch your soleus in addition to the gastrocnemius). Maybe even all this twice a day.

Also, why butt exercises only two days a week?  That may not be enough.

Last edited by a moderator:
@Zasada, if nothing else, you should give yourself one day a week to rest.  That can be a day to focus on strength training and to just break the routine.  As to annual mileage, you need to convince yourself that the 2020 total (2,534) is a cap.  Maybe use 2019 (2,133) as a minimum.  As the year proceeds, the "game" becomes seeing where you fall within those limits.  You only need to average about 37 miles/week to hit that minimum.  Even backing off for a couple of weeks would still mean you'd only need about 40/week.  Stop pressuring yourself! 

And it'd be great to have you join us for the HM in two weeks. 

@Zasada, if nothing else, you should give yourself one day a week to rest.  That can be a day to focus on strength training and to just break the routine.  As to annual mileage, you need to convince yourself that the 2020 total (2,534) is a cap.  Maybe use 2019 (2,133) as a minimum.  As the year proceeds, the "game" becomes seeing where you fall within those limits.  You only need to average about 37 miles/week to hit that minimum.  Even backing off for a couple of weeks would still mean you'd only need about 40/week.  Stop pressuring yourself! 

And it'd be great to have you join us for the HM in two weeks. 
Yup, right now I'm running 5x weekly and weights/PT the other 2x.  My schedule permits roughly 1hr/weekday on activity.  One weekday I get up at 0300 to fit in 13mi.  Not sustainable to try to do that more than one day of week.

Considering going to 4x/3x, subject to how the next couple of days go, and the Dr appt on Thu.

Last edited by a moderator:
Also, why butt exercises only two days a week?  That may not be enough.
Time.  I only wanted to drop running 2x weekly to do strength/PT.  

You guys seem to do lots of butt/calf/etc exercises.  How much time should I dedicate to this?  Is it as simple as 10 minutes a day?  Or do I need to do 30 minutes?  I have no idea of the number of reps I should be doing to make a difference.  Which is part of the reason I don't do it more than 2x weekly.

You guys seem to do lots of butt/calf/etc exercises.  How much time should I dedicate to this?  Is it as simple as 10 minutes a day?  Or do I need to do 30 minutes?  I have no idea of the number of reps I should be doing to make a difference.  Which is part of the reason I don't do it more than 2x weekly.
I still do no leg exercises. But I wouldn't do what I do.

One of these days....

For calves, you’re doing zero currently.  5-10 minutes a day would make a difference. I’ll guess your PT homework will take maybe 20 minutes a day.

I’m convinced that strength and flexibility is as important to my long-term running success as running is. View it that way and you’ll find the time. 

For calves, you’re doing zero currently.  5-10 minutes a day would make a difference. I’ll guess your PT homework will take maybe 20 minutes a day.

I’m convinced that strength and flexibility is as important to my long-term running success as running is. View it that way and you’ll find the time. 
Yeah I can do 5-10 minutes a day.  Heel drops I can do standing at my desk!

I do stuff most days for glutes & adductors and more so calves now that Juxt told us to.  

In seriousness, an assessment of imbalances and functional plan that works within our running goals and volume and time is what we all need.  I try to do this myself with a lot of layman style running form and strength reading and pod listening and pretty regular (4-6weeks-ish) PT sessions whether I’m nicked up or not. As a bonus, I get a huge mental lift that helps me stay me on track and confident I’m not doubling/quintupling down on super bad movement patterns.  Just normal bad. 

To the surprise of no one I could write a novel and still not answer your question. Cause the answer is it depends. On what? It depends on your current health, what you will sustain, your goals - short and long term, among many other things (probably). I also get that does not help since as you've said you don't know what you should be doing. 

For me - I have impact/volume target ratio mix ranges for both strength and running depending on whether I'm in training, peak, recovery, or offseason. That may seem like a crazy level of detail (okay, it is) but as Chef has correctly stated before I enjoy consuming myself in the process, so while it probably is way too complex in my head it isn't. Sorry, rambling, anyway - when on schedule I just relatively seamlessly follow that sequence. I've been stuck in this recovery-offseason-setback-recovery-offseason-setback-recovery-etc cycle since the accident though. My current goal is to figure out how to get my new body out of that vicious cycle. Of course I have more meaningful long term goals, but they don't matter until I figure this short term one out. Which brings me back to...

...you - while your ideal mix isn't what you've been doing depending on what you find out Thursday that doesn't necessarily mean the answer is far from it. And I get that may seem overwhelming given your lack of experience, but it might be a relatively simple process (it also might not) that requires little/no step back in your actual running (and gets you out of a similar vicious cycle). @Juxtatarot can speak better to the details and correct me where I'm wrong, but he's never really stopped running as he's tried to figure out how to compliment his running. In fact, he's mentioned before how the times he's cut back running weren't productive in solving his problems. But after enough tinkering he figured it out and sustained over a period of time and...well, you've seen the times this MF'er has been churning out. All from a guy with no background and little interest in strength work. Sound familiar?

Thanks to your support -- basically telling me that it's OK to take a few days off -- I skipped my long weekday run this morning.  And don't feel too guilty about it.

Without your support and advice, I probably would have gone out and run.  Possibly making my leg worse.  

I also dumped my 24-day 10K step streak.  Walking also hurts my leg, so I didn't want to just replace one repetitive strain injury with another.

Regardless, I'm in a much better place mentally this morning than I was yesterday.

:thanks:

That's a tough one since there's no Strava for basketball.  I would be tempted to go with some of the stronger, younger guys, but it's hard to argue with the known quantity of @Zasada being the tallest guy in the thread.
My jumping ability is similar to that of my pushup ability.  In the world of height, I'm a "shower", not a "grower".

That's a tough one since there's no Strava for basketball.  I would be tempted to go with some of the stronger, younger guys, but it's hard to argue with the known quantity of @Zasada being the tallest guy in the thread.
I stopped playing in part because I'm not comfortable with the injury risk, but I'd throw my name into the ring as the best 3rd guy off the bench in the game. I drive the opposition nuts with a frantic and harassing style of play for 3-4 minutes per half while the good players get a breather, but the extent of my offensive game is offensive rebounding and catch-and-shoot. Unless I'm on a breakaway on account of that havoc created I ain't dribbling anything.

Maybe similar to mac's description, I'm definitely a lunch pail type of player - tight D, good rebounder, decent passer.  My game's kind of goofy in that I grew late, so even though I'm 6'2" with decent "length" my post play is not great.  I'm a pretty solid 3 pt. shooter, but my favorite spot is near the top of the key and being a mediocre to poor dribbler I really shouldn't be up there too much.   :shrug:

That said, I wanted to share a funny story for this thread.  A few jobs ago we used to have a gym membership at a place with a nice court and we would play pick-up games at lunch.  Sometimes the random groups we were playing against would demand we play full court in a sort of manly way.  Well, me and two other guys from work were in decent shape, and our sort of captain would inevitably mutter at this point to us "fast break every time".  It was pretty hilarious to watch the guys that were confidently calling for full court being doubled over gasping for breath after 10 minutes  :lmao:

Users who are viewing this thread