What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Ran a 10k - Official Thread (15 Viewers)

Run the Bridge Race Report
Going into this race I felt really good about my fitness, my training has been going really well for a few months now, but I hadn't demonstrated that in a race yet. Yesterday the conditions were just about perfect except for some wind, so I had no excuses.

Prerace
I met up with Ned a little over an hour before the race and sorry Nigel, Ned is a good dude. Everything went smoothly before the race. The packet pickup was easy, the parking garage where Ned parked was in the perfect location (we dropped off our gear prior to and after the warm-up), and we got to the starting line about 5 minutes before the race. The only thing concerning at this point was that my HR was elevated, I guess I was pretty jacked up.

Race (Goal of 37 min 5:57 pace)
The first mile of the race is mostly uphill so I didn't want to overdo it and knew going in that this was going to be my slowest mile. I got stuck in some traffic early on and probably took it a bit too easy. I crossed the first mile marker in 6:19 and I was kind of nervous about making up time over the next 5.2.

The first half of mile 2 is downhill and started trying to make up some time, early on in the mile I noticed my pace was sub 5:30. I saw Ned shortly after the turnaround point (he was looking strong) and started working my way back up the hill. Finished this mile in 5:53.

The first quarter mile of mile 3 is uphill and my lap pace was 6:2X at the top of the hill. The rest of this mile is a long gradual downhill and is my favorite part of the course. This is where I went to work and finished this mile in 5:47.

I was able to carry the momentum of downhill into mile 4 and it was my fastest mile of the day 5:43. I was feeling pretty strong and confident at this point, for the first time in the race I was ahead of my goal pace.

This good feeling lasted about 10 sec because then the headwind came. This mile was a struggle, but I was able to make up some ground on the girl and guy ahead of me. 5:54 for mile 5.

Early on in mile 6 I passed the guy in front of me, and about half way into the mile I caught up to the girl. She tried to stay with me for a bit and I said we should take the guy ahead of us. She couldn't match my initial surge but I could tell she was right behind me. Not wanting to get chicked helped a lot, I was hurting and wanted this race to end. Finished mile 6 in 5:45.

I didn't have much of a kick at the end, but I was able to beat the girl by 4 seconds. Finished in 36:43, 24th overall. A 1:35 PR. This race was big for me, really liking my chances of running a sub 3 marathon.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm very happy for you pbm! Great, great race! You're in such fantastic shape that you're a shoe-in for sub 3, IMO. I remember being disappointed that you weren't going to try another half marathon, but you knew best. This race is exactly what you needed for a confidence boost. Congrats again!

Incredible race, PBM! I guess I shouldn't have been surprised after watching your training this year but a 36 minute 10K is still amazing to me.

Thanks guys it has been a long year of training and it is nice to see the payoff in an actual race.
I know the feeling. Felt the same way about my half. It's a validation of the training and that is very satisfying.

Another week in of training in the books and I decided that I'm sticking with my original plan and running the Richmond Marathon.

Mon: OFF/Cross Train

Tues: Trail run 7.22 miles @ 7:57(156) & 8 x 100m strides

Wed: Another trail run on a little bit hillier course. SI was back in the 140's. Did 12 miles @ 8:29 (161)

Thurs: 6 miles @ 9:22 (145) & 6 x 100m strides & Weights in the PM

Friday: 5 miles @ 9:12 (144)

Sat: 1/2 mile warm-up and then 10K with the wife @ 8:14

Sun: 17 miles @ 7:37 (163) Ran the first 10 relatively easy and then progressed from the 7:20's to 7 flat for 2 and then because I didn't race yesterday, finished with a 6:09 on the 17th mile just to see if I could.

55 miles for the week. Less than 2 weeks til Richmond and I'm starting to have the perspective that no matter what happens, I've accomplished a ton this training cycle. I'm now confident that I'm in the best running shape of my life and I know what it takes to improve even more. I'm looking forward to seeing what happens next.

Hang 10 - So you're running Richmond and definitely not that earlier marathon?
Yeah, the weather forecast for the OBX seemed a tad on the warm side and I had to make a decision yesterday. I ran 17, so that pretty much sealed the deal. I choose a hilly course and cooler weather. Hopefully a full 3 week taper will give my legs enough juice to get me through.

Congrats PBM and Ned. Great results and great reports.

I did not get much sleep this weekend so I am going off on a grouchy rant.

My Garmin sucks. I have had it and I am looking for a new device. I have a forerunner 610 and the problems are rampant. I am 52 (old and grumpy) and I can't see the numbers of the smaller data fields in the dark. I need a watch with bigger numbers (Tri-Man is probably the only other one in here who is to the age where reading glasses are a must, so maybe he will understand. I can't wear my reading glasses on a run).

Second, the charging cradle is extremely annoying. At least twice a week, the cradle does not make good contact with the watch and I have to dip a Q-tip in lemon juice to clean the contacts. I sweat a lot and apparently the salt in the sweat forms a base film on the contacts and I need the citric acid in the lemon juice to clean it. Also, I need to use a large paper clip to hold the watch on the cradle. Otherwise it will lose contact and drain the battery.

Third, the wireless connection of data is sporadic. Most runs everything works fine, the run automatically downloads through Garmin express and straight to Strava. About once a month it goes haywire and refuses to download. The Garmin express says it has synched and the watch is cleared of the run, but nothing shows up in Garmin. In fact, it shows that it is continuing to attempt to synch. Sometimes I can remove the wireless connection from the USB port and it will try to synch again. Sometimes that works and sometimes it doesn't. If it continues to try to snych, it drains the battery in the watch, even if it is charging, which has caused a couple of occasions where my watch was dead when I got up the next morning for my run. I have begun removing the USB stick so that it stops trying to synch. Also, most of the time when it does this, the run will appear then next time I synch, after my next run the following day, but sometimes the run simply disappears forever. Also, there is no apparent way to manually attempt to synch. Am I missing that?

I also don't really care for the wireless connection as a concept. If I run a long run from home and go back home for a water or bathroom break, I can't stop the timer on the watch. If I do it's guaranteed to download the run through the wireless connection, resetting the watch to zero. I could stop this by removing the stick from the USB before the run, but I never remember.

This morning, the watch would not boot up for about five minutes and I figured it was hung up and not going to wake up. I took off on my run and it magically booted up about 8/10ths of a mile into my run. I was actually disappointed that it wasn't broken for good.

If anybody is still reading, do you have any recommendations for running watches that work better than this? Is there a newer Garmin or a different brand that doesn't have these glitches?

Looking back, I had much better results with my old 305. It didn't find the satellites as fast as the 610, but otherwise, I can't think of a single thing about this watch that I like better.

End of rant.

Second, the charging cradle is extremely annoying. At least twice a week, the cradle does not make good contact with the watch and I have to dip a Q-tip in lemon juice to clean the contacts. I sweat a lot and apparently the salt in the sweat forms a base film on the contacts and I need the citric acid in the lemon juice to clean it. Also, I need to use a large paper clip to hold the watch on the cradle. Otherwise it will lose contact and drain the battery.
I can't help you about most of this and I have a 910xt so it's a bit different but have you considered replacing your charging cradle? This one? I started having problems with mine, bought a new one for under $20 and have been fine since.

I occasionally have uploading problems but usually turning it off and back on does the trick.

Thanks guys it has been a long year of training and it is nice to see the payoff in an actual race.
Excuse my poor formatting skills, but I just wanted to post this. :D
Yeah, that was one of the first things I did when I got home is plug my time into the McMillan calculator. I am pretty sure I could run the equivalent times for distances shorter than a 10K, but there is no way could I run those half and marathon times. One day I could, just not yet.

Excuse my poor formatting skills, but I just wanted to post this. :D
Yeah, that was one of the first things I did when I got home is plug my time into the McMillan calculator. I am pretty sure I could run the equivalent times for distances shorter than a 10K, but there is no way could I run those half and marathon times. One day I could, just not yet.
Well, it's still nice to have 7:44 McMilllan buffer for the marathon!

October - 134.3 running miles, the most I've ever ran. With as much yard work and hikes as I had throughout the month as well I should be happy with where I am right now, but I ended the month on a sour note.

Monday - 6 stress free miles around 8 minute pace. About 2 hours of yard work after getting home from work though.

Tuesday - 4 recovery miles > 9 minute pace. 150 each of push up's + lunges + squats combined before, during, and after. Then more hiking and another 2 hours of yard work under moon light before the after math of Patricia finally arrived.

Wednesday - Off. I was exhausted and the weather was horrendous.

Thursday - 8 of the best training miles I may have ever had. The first 1/2 mile or so wasn't picked up on Strava, so I'll compromise and say sub 56 minutes although I'm pretty sure it was sub 55. 7:14>7:11>7:32>7:11>6:37>6:16>6:34>6:05. I only had one GAP over 7:01 and it was just 7:09. Again, I held back on really putting the petal to the floor throughout and eventually let it go during mile 6. I'm not convinced I can hold a sub 7 for a full half yet, but I am confident I can do it for more than 10.

Friday - 5 recovery miles > 9 minute pace. Same strength training routine as Tuesday. I was tired, but not anything close to how I felt Wednesday.

Saturday - 13 rough miles. This is the sour note. I did not feel right this morning. First it was my ankles and calves and after I loosened up with some morning hiking it became evident it was my hammy's again. Uh oh. I really didn't have any other opportunity to do this workout other than early afternoon Saturday, so I went out to see how it went but expecting to bag it. They were definitely tight throughout the first half, but it never worsened, so I kept going. My right one got real irritated with me around mile 9, which is when I decided to scale back the planned 2 hour run. I chose a finishing route that minimized inclines as much as possible to reduce the stress on that muscle, which helped. I was happy when I got done and was able to get through almost 13 miles in an hour 42. I was worthless until trick or treating as I went through ice then heat the rest of the afternoon. It was definitely better once I went out with the kids that night, but it was there and is still a little there now too. I knew I was already hitting my monthly record this month and was hoping to hit a weekly record too (I did 34+, high is either 35 or 36), but chose smart's instead.

Sunday - pajama day.

This week, I'm at odds about what to do. This was scheduled to be my heaviest training week (half is 11/22), but the hammy problem resurfacing is having me second guessing things. Tentatively I have penciled in some easy miles today, hiking tomorrow, a longer mid-week run (but at a relatively easy pace) Wednesday, yard work Thursday, an easy one (with strength training) Friday, then see if I can do the full 2 hours Saturday - first 75-90 minutes around 8 minute pace then pick it up to finish. I want to have a harder week though. Just not sure if I should. The mind games...they never end...

If you aren't feeling healthy and there's any risk of tweaky something, you have no choice but to back off, Mac. It sucks but a heavy week ain't going to help things. Maybe take each run at a recovery pace until you feel better.

Congrats Ned and pbm on a great race/PRs and a successful cornhole! Though it would have been fun if one of you came back complaining that the other misrepresented himself in his profile pics or was a horrible kisser I kind of figured it would go well.

If you aren't feeling healthy and there's any risk of tweaky something, you have no choice but to back off, Mac. It sucks but a heavy week ain't going to help things. Maybe take each run at a recovery pace until you feel better.
You're right, but I also know me and I can't slow myself down unless I'm tired. So I adjusted based on that weakness and did a trail I haven't done in a long time today. Technically, it hasn't been a trail in more than a decade. There are a few 'cliffs' involved too. Couple of butt slides and a few times you've gotta grab onto trees to help pull yourself up. Definitely not the safest lunch run I've ever done, but I got out of there with just a few scratches on my legs and chest, so I'll call it a win.

Juxt and tri-man - Ready for a nice, little trail run on Sunday morning? Early forecast looks near-ideal with little wind and temps around 40 degrees.

Juxt and tri-man - Ready for a nice, little trail run on Sunday morning? Early forecast looks near-ideal with little wind and temps around 40 degrees.
Yes, although I have no idea what shoes to wear or what pace to run at.
I'm ready! Backing off on the mileage a bit this week (heading out soon for a 6 mile tempo run). Juxt, the course is a true trail run - sections with roots/rocks, and a fair amount of single track trail (one part probably a short out-and-back). I recall just one low spot that might be muddy/wet for a few steps (s/b dry, unless we get more rain later this week). Pace? As 2Young first pointed out, trail pacing is often 60-90 seconds/mile slower than road pacing. While not true for our Naperville 'trail' race (which is just a gravel path), it is true for this course. So maybe add 75 seconds/mile and generally see how it goes. You have that short, quick stride, and that could be an advantage darting around the turns and stepping around obstacles. Gruecd and I, with our long legs and branch-hitting height, have no edge on courses like this.

Ned and pbm - great reports! Glad you guys could get together for the race. MAC - nice training! Hang 10, getting excited for you!

Let's talk marathon race day...

Warmup? What do you do? How do you get warm without doing something that may add to fatigue later in the race?

Nutrition? Typically, I'll drink like 16oz of water on a 20 mile run and take about 3 gels. 4 for 26.2? What intervals do you take yours? Time based? Mile marker? I haven't done any salt tabs this training cycle. Do I need them if the race is between 40-50 degrees and I'm not sweating a ton?

TIA

6m w/ 4 @ tempo (7:10), my last run for while with my ablation scheduled for tomorrow. I took my last dose of sotalol yesterday morning, skipped last night's and this morning's as they want it out of my system by tomorrow. Not sure if it was my imagination or not but I felt very energetic on my run, hopefully an indicator of the future if this goes well and I get off the beta blocker permanently. I will have to go back on it for a month or so after the ablation while the scar tissue in my heart heals. Then the big test will be to see if my heart stays in rhythm without it. Doc thinks I have an 80% chance of success first try. I'm in afib now (started soon after my run, was happy to wake up in rhythm so I could get out there) and without the meds assume I'll stay this way until things get underway tomorrow which Is maybe what they want so they can more easily see where the problem areas are as they do their thing. I'll be knocked out for 6 hours and spend the night at MGH.

I feel like I should be nervous about this but I'm not at all, just really excited more than anything. Will update from the hospital tomorrow night.

6m w/ 4 @ tempo (7:10), my last run for while with my ablation scheduled for tomorrow. I took my last dose of sotalol yesterday morning, skipped last night's and this morning's as they want it out of my system by tomorrow. Not sure if it was my imagination or not but I felt very energetic on my run, hopefully an indicator of the future if this goes well and I get off the beta blocker permanently. I will have to go back on it for a month or so after the ablation while the scar tissue in my heart heals. Then the big test will be to see if my heart stays in rhythm without it. Doc thinks I have an 80% chance of success first try. I'm in afib now (started soon after my run, was happy to wake up in rhythm so I could get out there) and without the meds assume I'll stay this way until things get underway tomorrow which Is maybe what they want so they can more easily see where the problem areas are as they do their thing. I'll be knocked out for 6 hours and spend the night at MGH.

I feel like I should be nervous about this but I'm not at all, just really excited more than anything. Will update from the hospital tomorrow night.
Good luck, buddy. Looking forward what you can do when you're 100%. :thumbup:

Warmup? What do you do? How do you get warm without doing something that may add to fatigue later in the race?

Nutrition? Typically, I'll drink like 16oz of water on a 20 mile run and take about 3 gels. 4 for 26.2? What intervals do you take yours? Time based? Mile marker? I haven't done any salt tabs this training cycle. Do I need them if the race is between 40-50 degrees and I'm not sweating a ton?

TIA
KISS

Do whatever intervals you've done on your long runs; adding a 4th gel won't hurt. I'd skip the salt tabs since you haven't practiced with them.

GL!!!

Hang I've only done one but I took a gel at each of the first for 5M markers and drank when thirsty, used the first mile when it was really crowded and slow moving as a warmup, nothing before. Did not bonk so I think the nutrition worked well, legs failed eventually though.

TIA
KISS

Do whatever intervals you've done on your long runs; adding a 4th gel won't hurt. I'd skip the salt tabs since you haven't practiced with them.
KISS? Excuse me? :unsure:

I'm ready! Backing off on the mileage a bit this week (heading out soon for a 6 mile tempo run). Juxt, the course is a true trail run - sections with roots/rocks, and a fair amount of single track trail (one part probably a short out-and-back). I recall just one low spot that might be muddy/wet for a few steps (s/b dry, unless we get more rain later this week). Pace? As 2Young first pointed out, trail pacing is often 60-90 seconds/mile slower than road pacing. While not true for our Naperville 'trail' race (which is just a gravel path), it is true for this course. So maybe add 75 seconds/mile and generally see how it goes. You have that short, quick stride, and that could be an advantage darting around the turns and stepping around obstacles. Gruecd and I, with our long legs and branch-hitting height, have no edge on courses like this.
Yeah, I'm just looking for a good, honest effort. Not really concerned about place or time.

Good luck Nigel.

9.5 at MP this morning, although I really have no idea what MP is. I ran it at 9:27 pace which felt right.

Looks like my runs yesterday and this morning finally went into Garmin Connect at some point. I left home and it had been synching for 30+ minutes which is not normal. Usually 30-40 seconds to get from garmin to web. At about 9:30 I checked strava and it was there. Have I mentioned I hate Garmin?

TIA
I'd like to give you solid advice but I haven't figured this all out either. I think different people are best doing different things but I'll just share with you what I did.

Very little warm up. I would prefer to save my energy for the end. Maybe if I ever ran mile 26 as fast as the first few miles, I'd change that.

I ate and drank less than I ever had before for a marathon. A gel at mile 6 and another at mile 11. Maybe 20 to 30 oz. of fluids -- mostly water. That fit what I mostly did in training.

TIA
I'd like to give you solid advice but I haven't figured this all out either. I think different people are best doing different things but I'll just share with you what I did.

Very little warm up. I would prefer to save my energy for the end. Maybe if I ever ran mile 26 as fast as the first few miles, I'd change that.

I ate and drank less than I ever had before for a marathon. A gel at mile 6 and another at mile 11. Maybe 20 to 30 oz. of fluids -- mostly water. That fit what I mostly did in training.
Yeah, typically I've run a couple miles before a race to get warm and then lightly stretch but I'm not trying to do that before 26 miles. I read an article that said you should do a 10 minute shakeout a couple hours before the race and then some dynamic stretching while in the shoot. That doesn't seem overly strenuous.

Ned and pbm - great reports! Glad you guys could get together for the race. MAC - nice training! Hang 10, getting excited for you!
So I guess I should go with a more cushioned pair of shoes? I debating between Hoka Bondi 3 and what I've normally raced in, Asics 33-FA.

Another question about trails since I've never run on them: what should I expect about my heart rate? Even if I'm avoiding rocks and roots, I'd think my heart rate would be much lower 60 to 90 seconds slower. I guess I'm trying to predict how I should feel.

Edit: Even though I'm responding to Tri-man, anyone else's advice is also welcome (as always).

I want some Hoka's next. They look pretty cool.

My fitting at the local running store didn't go well with Hoka. I wear a wide and they only make one model in Wide which didn't really work for me. I might find some clearance Hoka's for my daily drivers :)

You're right, but I also know me and I can't slow myself down unless I'm tired. So I adjusted based on that weakness and did a trail I haven't done in a long time today. Technically, it hasn't been a trail in more than a decade. There are a few 'cliffs' involved too. Couple of butt slides and a few times you've gotta grab onto trees to help pull yourself up. Definitely not the safest lunch run I've ever done, but I got out of there with just a few scratches on my legs and chest, so I'll call it a win.
This sounds awesome.

Guys. I think my weight is the main thing holding me back from better times right now. So I can't do any quick fixes for that, just going to be time. That said, I dropped 1:13 off my 5K time in the month between my first and second races. I'd like to drop another 1:08 off my time to break one of those round number thresholds (okay, fine, I'll admit how slow I am, I want to break 40 minutes, I was 42:21 the first official 5K and 41:08 for this weekend.)

Would you suggest intervals? I was thinking about going to the high school after hours and using their track and running a lap at my top speed then walking a lap, and repeating that over for maybe 5 or 6 cycles. Thoughts?

So I guess I should go with a more cushioned pair of shoes? I debating between Hoka Bondi 3 and what I've normally raced in, Asics 33-FA.

Another question about trails since I've never run on them: what should I expect about my heart rate? Even if I'm avoiding rocks and roots, I'd think my heart rate would be much lower 60 to 90 seconds slower. I guess I'm trying to predict how I should feel.
You should check out the hoka cliftons. Very light in comparison to the Bondi's. I think version 1 is one to get.

Guys. I think my weight is the main thing holding me back from better times right now. So I can't do any quick fixes for that, just going to be time. That said, I dropped 1:13 off my 5K time in the month between my first and second races. I'd like to drop another 1:08 off my time to break one of those round number thresholds (okay, fine, I'll admit how slow I am, I want to break 40 minutes, I was 42:21 the first official 5K and 41:08 for this weekend.)

Would you suggest intervals? I was thinking about going to the high school after hours and using their track and running a lap at my top speed then walking a lap, and repeating that over for maybe 5 or 6 cycles. Thoughts?
Not sure I'd recommend track intervals quite yet. I'd work on adding more runs and longer runs before I went with any speed work. And if you must do any speed work, I'd go with a fartlek. Meaning, you don't need a track...just run as far and as fast as you feel like and then recover and do it again in the course of a normal run.

But you're right, the main thing for you get better performance, you just need to drop some lbs. Each pound is worth a few seconds a mile.

You should check out the hoka cliftons. Very light in comparison to the Bondi's. I think version 1 is one to get.
I tried the newest model of Cliftons on this summer. I thought they felt too much like a normal shoe. :shrug: I'm not sure yet if I like these Bondis. I only have 70 or so miles in them.

I tried the newest model of Cliftons on this summer. I thought they felt too much like a normal shoe. :shrug: I'm not sure yet if I like these Bondis. I only have 70 or so miles in them.
Do you normally run in a heavily cushioned trainer? I went from running in a pretty minimalist shoe, so the clifton felt like a cloud in comparison.

This sounds awesome.
I was actually thinking of you during. I got done, looked at the app, and thought to myself - I only need to do that 20 more times and I'll be able to hang with duck for half of a race. Maybe.

Do you normally run in a heavily cushioned trainer? I went from running in a pretty minimalist shoe, so the clifton felt like a cloud in comparison.
I used to run mainly with the Asics Kayano series which is relatively cushioned but not like most Hokas. I bought a pair of Hoka Stinson Tarmacs (I think that's the name, I think they discontinued them) in early 2014 but rarely ran in them that year. I was starting to get a lot of nagging injuries when I ramped up the mileage for this marathon and got the old Hokas out of the closet to try them again in July. They were the best to keep the pain away and I mostly ran with them until the marathon. If it wasn't for them, I don't know what I would have done. I bought the Bondis and tried to rotate them in but that didn't work out well. I still like those old Hokas but the soles are really worn down and I probably have over 800 miles in them.

I think I have a new favorite muscle endurance workout.

3x12 lunges with 50 lb dumbells

3x10 squats / calf raise superset 145-185

3/4 mile run

then hill repeats, 10 x .22 miles with 136' gain (between 9%-17% grade)

3/4 mile run

During the run, keep HR between 140-155 (which means some walking uphill)

Juxtatarot said:
Hang 10 said:
Juxtatarot said:
Hang 10 said:
I used to run mainly with the Asics Kayano series which is relatively cushioned but not like most Hokas. I bought a pair of Hoka Stinson Tarmacs (I think that's the name, I think they discontinued them) in early 2014 but rarely ran in them that year. I was starting to get a lot of nagging injuries when I ramped up the mileage for this marathon and got the old Hokas out of the closet to try them again in July. They were the best to keep the pain away and I mostly ran with them until the marathon. If it wasn't for them, I don't know what I would have done. I bought the Bondis and tried to rotate them in but that didn't work out well. I still like those old Hokas but the soles are really warn down and I probably have over 800 miles in them.
Geez, 800 miles is a #### ton. Probably not maximalist anymore.

Users who are viewing this thread