What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Ran a 10k - Official Thread (13 Viewers)

Congrats @Zasada!  Amazing effort and performance.  Your pictures on strava were just unbelievably gorgeous.

@SFBayDuck - I might be out in Marin Headlands area on Thursday (flying into SFO and heading to Napa for work) and can hopefully run for 60-90 minutes (provided the weather is cooperative.)  Any suggestions on where I could run with beautiful views and runnable track as I don't have trail shoes?

Congrats @Zasada!  Amazing effort and performance.  Your pictures on strava were just unbelievably gorgeous.

@SFBayDuck - I might be out in Marin Headlands area on Thursday (flying into SFO and heading to Napa for work) and can hopefully run for 60-90 minutes (provided the weather is cooperative.)  Any suggestions on where I could run with beautiful views and runnable track as I don't have trail shoes?
I know a good 100K trail you can do.

I did my marathon test run Saturday morning.  Learned a few things, my HR strap chafed and drew blood under my arm, no bueno.  Pinky toe got a blister on the bottom, weird spot.  I think some of you lube toes, maybe I should do that? Goal was 3 hrs and 20 miles, did 17 and 2.5, my legs felt dead and some groin pain so I called it early.  Had a gel at 6 miles and it seemed fine but had some stomach cramping around mile 13 so think I’m just going straight water for the race. Felt awful afterwards and expected Sunday to be rough and was totally fine, no soreness, nothing. Mowed my lawn and wasn’t even worried my wife was gonna video me limping around the yard.

I did my marathon test run Saturday morning.  Learned a few things, my HR strap chafed and drew blood under my arm, no bueno.  Pinky toe got a blister on the bottom, weird spot.  I think some of you lube toes, maybe I should do that? Goal was 3 hrs and 20 miles, did 17 and 2.5, my legs felt dead and some groin pain so I called it early.  Had a gel at 6 miles and it seemed fine but had some stomach cramping around mile 13 so think I’m just going straight water for the race. Felt awful afterwards and expected Sunday to be rough and was totally fine, no soreness, nothing. Mowed my lawn and wasn’t even worried my wife was gonna video me limping around the yard.
Good work on the distance, time on feet and testing a few things. When is the race?

I would not eliminate fuel from your plan, try again with same or different gels or something added to water.  If you have time, increase the fueling tests on any long run and luuube up. 

Yall ever get a ache-type feeling from where your shoe laces/knot hits where the top of feet and front ankle meet?

Google is calling it ‘lace bite’. WTF

Ive been tying all running shoes with a heel lock for years and no issues. I’ll try some alternate lacing I reckon. 

Yall ever get a ache-type feeling from where your shoe laces/knot hits where the top of feet and front ankle meet?

Ive been tying all running shoes with a heel lock for years and no issues. I’ll try some alternate lacing I reckon. 
I get it when I tie my laces too tight. 

Miwok 100K Race Report

TL;DR It was an incredible race, best views ever, ran way faster than I expected, but with a weak-### ##### finish (weak-donkey cat).  And over an hour spent in aid stations, combined.  Got to run with a famous dude for a bit, and many times through the race I thought about how many times @SFBayDuck's feet tread on the very same dirt I was.

Prologue

This one starts back in Nov 2019.  Went out for a morning run up north, slipped on some ice, hit my head, and when I got to the office got cocky and entered the lottery for a race @SFBayDuck had lots of good things to say about:  Miwok.

A month or two later, I'm notified that I "won" the lottery.  

And then COVID.

Fast forward to 2022.  I have a successful Bandera 100K under my belt, and this re-scheduled Miwok is in front of me.  I debate bothering with it (since one 100K in a year feels like plenty), but @SFBayDuck tells me to DBAP and run it.  So I book an AirBnB, flights, and here we go.

Race Day

Get up at 0330.  Had all my gear and drop bags ready/packed the night before.  Poop.  Bagel.  Beet juice.  Coke Zero.  Jump in the car.  20 minutes from Muir Beach to Stinson Beach.  Park.  Walk to the start, and wait.

Tried to do EVERYTHING the same way I did with Bandera.  Same taper, same pre-race food, same gear (including having to buy another vest since I left mine up north), same routines.

Temps ~10C/50F.  Forecast strong winds as the day progressed.  Some light mist in the am, but likely to be sunny most of the day.

Goal was to enjoy the run/sights and beat cutoff (15h30m).

0500, in the dark, things kick off.

Start to Muir Beach Aid (0-13K/8mi)

Massive conga line, in the dark, up 380m/1,200' of gain.  Made me long for the staggered start we had at Bandera.  But at least it's keeping my pace down, when I otherwise would probably be going faster than I should.  Get to the top of the first climb, and greeted by the sounds of bagpipes, just as first light was coming up over the eastern horizon.  Pretty sweet.

Then a big downhill, with another conga line.  6:00/km (9:40/mi) pace.  Slower than I would like, again, but probably for the best.

Hit the first aid station, Muir Beach.  As I'm entering it off the boardwalk, a runner in front of me says "Hey, Dean!" and looks back at me with "Do you know who that was?".  I'm like :shrug: , and the runner says "the king of ultrarunning, Dean [so-and-so, I forgot his last name moments after]."  I respond with "Oh, I'm pretty new to this, I don't know everyone in the sport."

So that's that, and I enter the aid station. Fill my flasks, three oreos, and off I go.

Muir Beach to Tennessee Valley (21K/13mi point)

Left Muir Beach 6 minutes ahead of my plan.  

Uneventful run to TV.

TV was hoppin.  Crews and bags were allowed here.  I had neither.  Flasks, oreos, and a good poop.  Knew that was coming, glad to get it over with early, and hopefully the only one (it was).  

Cell phone service was ####, but I figured out that I could write texts, send them, and they would get transmitted when I finally got a signal on the course (usually up high).  So I texted updates to @gianmarco and my wife, and got back on the trail.

TV to Bridge View (30K/19mi point)

Left TV 22 minutes earlier than plan.

I was running easy, but faster than the paces I had planned.  I was passing lots of people and almost never getting passed.  But I noticed that I was passing people I had already passed.  Some twice.  Meaning I was spending too much time in the aid stations.  

As I was running, I see this "Dean" guy up in front of me, and I slowly catch up to him.  As I'm passing, I tell him that I'm floored by how beautiful the course is, and we strike up a conversation.  He tells me about how his legs are shot from running a 100-miler in Patagonia a week prior (BMF!).  We talk about me being from Calgary, and him running the 50K street ultra the first time it was held there.  "During the ro-DAY-o", he says.  Heh, "ro-dee-o", I say, and then say "Stampede".  

We chat some more, he tells me about some of the other ultras he has run, and how he appreciates hearing from runners who haven't run in Marin before, like me.  He's lived there for ~20 years and loves it.

After a bit more chatting we hit a hill and I finally say "I'm Brian", and he's "I'm Dean", and I thank him for the chat and get back to my faster pace.

Through this section of the run, I'm still feeling great.  Keeping up with my hydration (aid stations had GU, unfortunately, and not TailWind, but it was OK).  Only three Oreos at each station.  I get a text from @bushdocda with some cheering and that brings a smile to my face.

During the race, I'm continually amazed by the ever-impressive views.  With the sun coming up over the eastern horizon, the San Francisco Bay views, the city, the Golden Gate Bridge, the hills of the area, it was all incredible.

I'm not shy about stopping to take photos.  I feel good, and my #1 goal was to enjoy this race.  So I'm going to take it all in.  My pace was fine, so if people passed me as I stopped, so be it.  

I even text a photo of the bridge to my wife and Gian.  

Bridge View to TV (42K/26mi point)

Left Bridge View 29 minutes ahead of plan.  I didn't do the precise math at that point, I just knew that I was ahead of plan.  I kept my pace sheet in my pocket, but didn't spend a ton of time doing analytics during my run.  Just that I was ahead of schedule.

Another easy, uneventful section.  Another thing I tried to repeat (from my successful Bandera run) was to just "run to the next aid station".  Forget the 100K.  "It's only 10K to the next aid.  Run that."  Sure, my watch was reading "Lap 42, average pace, blah blah blah" in my headset, but I didn't hear "42K", I just heard "42" and "I need to get to "43" for the next aid station.  Worked great.

Once again, I passed some runners another time.  Feels like 3 times in some cases.

Got to the part where you "must walk" through the horse stables, but it was short, and a nice break just before the aid station.

TV to Muir Beach (49K/30mi point)

At TV, I again fill my flasks and chomp some Oreos.  I look at my pace sheet and this time the calculation is right in front of me.  I'm ONE HOUR ahead of plan.  WTF?  Did I break something in my spreadsheet?

Before the race, I told my wife that she should meet me at Muir at noon, per my plan.  She wanted to be "absolutely sure" she didn't miss me, so she planned to be there an hour early.  But I was already an hour ahead of plan at TV, an potentially even more by the time I got to Muir.  I could miss her. 

No signal on my phone.  Thankfully a volunteer had a signal, and texted my wife that I could be early.  My wife responded right away, and that settled me.  Good stuff.

Left TV one hour ahead of pace.

On this section, I started to notice my knee and calf on my right leg barking at me during the downhills.  Not a good sign.  It got progressively worse, and while it wasn't a huge deal, I was worried for what the rest of the race might hold.

Muir Beach to Cardiac (68K/42mi point)

My wife met me at Muir and it was a real treat.  While she waited for me at the station, she watched what other crews were doing.  By the time I got there, she was a pro!  Changed my shirt, grabbed my portable battery (to recharge my headset, watch, and phone on the course), popped 2x Naproxen (same as during Bandera), flask refills, and oreos.  Took WAY too long here, which was a real theme for the day.

Left Muir 46 minutes ahead of pace.  Clearly blew a ton of time at the aid station.

This was another big climbing section, and once again I passed many of the runners I had already passed.

Knee and calf responded well to the Naproxen.

Cardiac to Bolinas (68K/42mi point)

Left Cardiac 54 minutes ahead of pace.  Building some time back.

This part of the run is mostly in beautiful forest.  Gigantic trees, cool temps.  Super-soft trail.  It was so peaceful.  

Bolinas to Randall (79K/49mi point)

At Bolinas my watch was down to 5% so I had to charge it while running.  And for any of you who have a Garmin watch, you probably know that it can't be charged on your wrist.  Plus, my charger never makes great contact with the watch.  So I spend way too much time trying to get the charger/watch combo secure enough in my vest to be confident it will charge while I'm running.  Way too much time.

Leave Bolinas 56 minutes ahead of plan.

More forest, pass more of the same runners, then a big downhill to Randall.  Legs feel good, and no sign of that knee/calf pain I had earlier in the day.  

Randall to Bolinas (89K/56mi point)

Randall was another drop/crew station.  I had a bag here, but really didn't need it, other than to drop the charging cable for my watch and headset.

Left Randall 1h12m ahead of plan.

Big climb here, but it's what I'm good at. Pass a handful of runners.  Like most of the day, I don't get passed on the trail.  I get passed at the aid stations.

Bolinas to Finish (the home stretch!)

Left Bolinas 1h31m ahead of plan.

It was in this section I really let myself down.  My legs were starting to fatigue, and I (for the first time ever) was developing a blister on my right heel.  Wah wah wah.  

This section starts in the (awesome) forest, then open meadow singletrack, and finishes with a steep and somewhat technical downhill.  

Much of the forest section is uphill, and I hike that.  Run the short downhills.  Then I hit the open meadow and start walking a bunch of very runnable sections.  My legs hurt, I'm tired, and I'm well ahead of pace.  So why bother?  Wah wah wah.  Further, my wife is going to meet me at the finish, and if I finish early then she'll be disappointed (much like most of our relationship).  I get passed, and passed again.  Then I hit the last 3K technical downhill, and other runners are bombing down, and I'm walking.  Between here and the finish, I lose 10 or 15 spots in rank.  About 1K out, I can hear the finish line cheers, and that gives me some zip to run most of that last 1K.  Not very fast, and I still get passed a couple of times, but I run.

Then I hit the finish stretch.  Lots of people there to cheer me, even though I'm nobody to them.  My wife isn't there, because the Uber couldn't find her in Muir Beach (despite Google having precisely-accurate location on the address :rant: ).

Cross the finish line, get my medal, and head for the buffet.  Mr. Lactose Intolerant takes a huge helping of mac & cheese (paid for that all night) and grabs a chair.  Then head for the car, back to Muir Beach, where my wife meets me at the top of the stairs down to our AirBnB and helps me to the room.  

• 14:05:02 (about an hour faster than plan)
  • 120/342 overall
  • 92/238 among men
  • 32/87 AG
  • 82 DNFs
  • 1h13m spent in aid stations -- WTAF???
So right now I'm waiting for my (delayed) flight with a pretty nasty blister (should have listened to my wife who asked if I wanted to change socks at Muir) and sore legs.  But otherwise in decent shape, and thinking about how I need to up my aid station game if I want to improve my overall times and rank.

Last edited by a moderator:
So good @Zasada!  Sounds like other than the aid stations you really executed well, congrats!  I can picture all of those sections so well, makes me miss Marin (and trail running) even more than I already do on another rainy Oregon day!

Glad you had a great experience out there, including chatting with Dean.  Quick aside on him, as this memory just popped into my head...I ran a half marathon in Marin back in '09.  I took my then 6 year old daughter with me to the pre-race check in and Karnazes was speaking.  He was telling stories about running from San Francisco to Santa Cruz, eating whole pizzas while running, running all night to meet his family for brunch the next day 70 miles away, the whole Dean schtick.  At one point my daughter turns to me and asks, "Daddy, is that guy lying?"  I had the chance to meet him a few times over the years, really nice guy.  And no, he wasn't lying.

So which 160.934 km race are you signing up for now?

You don't need trail shoes in Marin, so you're good there.

There are just so many options!  There are a couple listed on Strava that would be great, and you can probably download the route onto your watch.  The Marin Headlands loop starts at Tennessee Valley (one of the aid stations our boy just went through a couple of times), and gets you out on the edge of the continent running along the Pacific.  Pretty epic.  The Ninja loop is pretty legendary as well, it started years ago with a group of trail runners that would gather there before sunset on their way into work in The City and knock out 12 miles before work.  It has incredible views of the Bay, The Golden Gate, and The City.  @tri-man 47and I did a segment of that a few years back when he was in town.

I'm partial to the Phoenix Lake loop (#4 on the link) just because some version of that was the basis for probably half of my runs for years, and it hits Yolanda Trail which is one of my favorites in all of Marin. But if you only get one run in, I think either one of those two in the Headlands would be great choices. 

You don't need trail shoes in Marin, so you're good there.

There are just so many options!  There are a couple listed on Strava that would be great, and you can probably download the route onto your watch.  The Marin Headlands loop starts at Tennessee Valley (one of the aid stations our boy just went through a couple of times), and gets you out on the edge of the continent running along the Pacific.  Pretty epic.  The Ninja loop is pretty legendary as well, it started years ago with a group of trail runners that would gather there before sunset on their way into work in The City and knock out 12 miles before work.  It has incredible views of the Bay, The Golden Gate, and The City.  @tri-man 47and I did a segment of that a few years back when he was in town.

I'm partial to the Phoenix Lake loop (#4 on the link) just because some version of that was the basis for probably half of my runs for years, and it hits Yolanda Trail which is one of my favorites in all of Marin. But if you only get one run in, I think either one of those two in the Headlands would be great choices. 
Whatever loop he picks, by the time he's done he will have (a) recruited three students for his university, (b) formed a new running club, and (c) agreed to pace a trail marathon in 2023.

I have never had this before but it started flaring up for me about 3-4 weeks ago.  Some days there is no pain and others it will just hurt like a 7/10.  Icing it helps and I've definitely been going waaaaay looser on my lace ups.  Sucks, but is getting better and isn't intolerable.

I agree with @bushdocda, dont give up on the gels.  You really need to fuel during the race.  I think I took 4 gels during mine and I never do during training (except when practicing taking gels).  

You may have been OK for 17 miles, but 9+ more is going to take you to unknown territories.  You NEED to be hydrated and fueled.

That all said, that looked like a great training run  :thumbup:

Miwok 100K Race Report

TL;DR It was an incredible race, best views ever, ran way faster than I expected, but with a weak-### ##### finish (weak-donkey cat).  And over an hour spent in aid stations, combined.  Got to run with a famous dude for a bit, and many times through the race I thought about how many times @SFBayDuck's feet tread on the very same dirt I was.
Great race, @Zasada!  Glad to see your extended time in the flatlands didn't cause you to lose your climbing mojo.  Always a bit jealous of you guys that get to run out West with the majestic views (and not a rock every foot).

On the cumulative aid station time, any idea what is "normal" for a 100K?

So which 160.934 km race are you signing up for now?

Well I'm going to enter the WSER lottery!  :)

Those slim chances aside, I'm not sure 100 miles is for me.  Running through the night seems like a whole new level of challenge.  

After 100K of Bandera, I definitely felt like I could start another loop.  No idea if I could finish, but I wasn't 100% done at that point

For Miwok, I'm not sure I had much more in me.  My legs were pretty shot, the blister was really starting to impact my running (still is right now), and by most metrics I was very close to 100% done.

Finally got around to reading your report, @Zasada.  Great job, and thanks for getting me out of my Bucks-induced funk this morning!

Related, am I the only one whose mood is legitimately affected by the wins/losses of the sports teams that he follows?  I generally try not to dwell on things that I can't control, and this would seem to fall under that umbrella.  I kinda hate that I let it affect me as much as it does.

Related, am I the only one whose mood is legitimately affected by the wins/losses of the sports teams that he follows?  I generally try not to dwell on things that I can't control, and this would seem to fall under that umbrella.  I kinda hate that I let it affect me as much as it does.

I have spent the last two years trying to "care less" about my teams because of this very thing.  Unfortunately that also means I don't get into the games as much as I used to.  

Using "moving time" vs "elapsed time" (the way I calculate my aid station time), @SFBayDuck spent 38 minutes in aid stations during his 2019 run.  About what half I did.

One thing I noticed is that many runners would leave the aid station walking, and eat food while walking.  I stood in the aid station and ate my oreos.  So, in the future, if I eat my oreos while walking, at least I'm moving forward, rather than standing still during that time.  

Check out @SFBayDuck's blog.  Lots of good stuff there.

I still maintain that my two 100Ks were both "easier" than my two street marathons.  The former feels like more running for fun, and the latter for time.  

So you're the visitor I see when I look at the stats (which I haven't done in 3 years until just now).

And I've always said a trail 50K or 50M is easier than a road marathon.  100Ks, sometimes.  100M, not so much.

Great race, @Zasada!  Glad to see your extended time in the flatlands didn't cause you to lose your climbing mojo.  Always a bit jealous of you guys that get to run out West with the majestic views (and not a rock every foot).

Thanks for the Grindstone 100M flashback :shudders:

And I've always said a trail 50K or 50M is easier than a road marathon.  
Trail 50K, I agree.  50M, no.

ETA:  I guess it depends if you're doing the trail race "just to finish" or if you're actually racing.  Seems like a lot of the trail guys I know really don't GAF about finishing times.

Using "moving time" vs "elapsed time" (the way I calculate my aid station time), @SFBayDuck spent 38 minutes in aid stations during his 2019 run.  About what half I did.

One thing I noticed is that many runners would leave the aid station walking, and eat food while walking.  I stood in the aid station and ate my oreos.  So, in the future, if I eat my oreos while walking, at least I'm moving forward, rather than standing still during that time.  

Yeah that's a simple trick to reducing aid station time.  Pretty much everything but broth/soup is easily portable so grab a handful and keep moving.  Later on I shifted to almost exclusively sports nutrition, but when I was eating more aid station food I would sometimes carry a ziploc to fill up with M&Ms, PB pretzels, whatever sounded good. 

Having a crew can be a double edged sword as well - it could be pit-crew style and efficient and you're in and out, or you could end up dawdling and hanging out with them for a few extra minutes to get that extra foot rub time (I didn't have crew for Miwok).

Yup, I'm the same way.  I pretty much don't care about pro sports anymore, just the Ducks, so it has helped the past couple of years to reframe things a bit by referring to the players as "kids".  Because they pretty much are, even if the NIL money is starting to blur that line a bit.  So while I still get disappointed and grumpy the rest of the day when the football or basketball teams lose, I don't really focus that anger on the players themselves.  That doesn't help you with rooting for multi-millionaires, though.

It's part of what makes going to track meets fun - of course I'm rooting for the Oregon athletes and alums, but there isn't the emotional connection I have with football and hoops.  And just the nature of track and field, the crowd is cheering for pretty much everyone, clapping everytime the leaders come around the homestretch, that kind of thing. 

On that note things are about to get fun here in Eugene:  Pac-12 championships this weekend, Prefontaine Classic in two weeks (three world record attempts lined up, and check the fields for just the 1-mile and 5K), NCAA Championships in June, and then the World Championships (for the first time ever in America) for 10 days in July.  And have I mentioned how ridiculous Hayward Field is?  If any of you are fans of T&F, you have to make a trip out here for one of the big meets - and you've got a place to stay!

gruecd said:
Finally got around to reading your report, @Zasada.  Great job, and thanks for getting me out of my Bucks-induced funk this morning!

Yes, but only when I have expectations tied to their performance. Whether those expectations are reasonable or not varies substantially team-to-team!

Yes, but only when I have expectations tied to their performance. Whether those expectations are reasonable or not varies substantially team-to-team!
Blessing and a curse with all the Wisconsin teams being in contention lately...

bushdocda said:

Yes, see below

ChiefD said:
I get it when I tie my laces too tight. 
One of the 50k's I ran i did this. Didn't notice it until about mile 18 but by then it was too late. Hurt for about a week or two after.

gruecd said:
Being a Browns fan, I'm no stranger to disappointment. In 1986 John Elway unexplainably drove the Bronco's 98 yards to victory against one of the best defenses in the league to play in the Superbowl. That was tough but the following year was the one that crushed my heart. Earnest Byner fumbled going into the end zone in a repeat against Denver for the opportunity to go to the Superbowl yet again. My life was in a complete funk for 6 months after that. I still have trouble discussing that game when all of us get together.

gruecd said:
I used to be this way.

The Royals winning the World Series in 2015 alleviated some of this but the Chiefs winning the Super Bowl pretty much eliminated it.

My two childhood teams both winning a championship in my lifetime AND my kids being able to experience them at ages where they can remember them is all I need.

It's all gravy from here.

SFBayDuck said:
Having a crew can be a double edged sword as well - it could be pit-crew style and efficient and you're in and out, or you could end up dawdling and hanging out with them for a few extra minutes to get that extra foot rub time (I didn't have crew for Miwok).

It was definitely the latter in this case.  While there were no foot rubs, it was just very nice to have my wife there during the race.  I ran Bandera alone, and DNF'd Iron Legs alone.  I have always been a little jealous of those who have support at the aid stations (more for the mental support, than the practical support), that I just wanted to have more time with her at the midpoint of the race.  So I dawdled quite a bit to take advantage of her presence.

Next time we'll plan in advance, and make it more of a "pit stop".

Another item that will help save some time will be to get a new watch.  I have my eye on the new Epix.  It should have enough juice to get me through a whole race without having to spend time screwing with the battery/charger like I did this time.

gianmarco said:
To be clear, the station chief spoke with admiration as he acknowledged the efficient pit crew effort as we descended on our guy with nutrition, clothes changes, and - yes! - a foot rub and lubrication.  Not that I didn’t want that moment to linger for a while longer, but nooooo …Duck had to get back out there to earn his stupid buckle.

To be clear, the station chief spoke with admiration as he acknowledged the efficient pit crew effort as we descended on our guy with nutrition, clothes changes, and - yes! - a foot rub and lubrication.  Not that I didn’t want that moment to linger for a while longer, but nooooo …Duck had to get back out there to earn his stupid buckle.
True on all counts.

Ran outside for the first time since injuring my hamstring.  Did a lot of run walking and had no sense of my pace but i did manage to capture the run in strava then leave it running while i drove my kid to Buffalo wild wings for dinner.  Strava congratulated me on many personal records today. 

Users who are viewing this thread