What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Ran a 10k - Official Thread (6 Viewers)

Feeling pretty good with London just 18 days away. Been eating like crap, so I'm still at least 10 pounds heavier than I'd like to be, but at least the running has been going reasonably well. Did my last long long run on Sunday, averaging 7:41/mile overall and 7:21/mile for my last 5. Rest day on Monday and then a little 10-mile progression run last night. Hoping all this translates into 3:10-3:15 at London, after which I'll chill for a couple of months and then ramp back up for an attempt at (hopefully) sub 3:05 at Berlin. If all this goes well, I may make one last attempt at another sub-3 next fall in Indianapolis.

Anyway, this is the least prepared I've been logistically for any running trip, and it's going to be the hardest one, as we're taking the munchkin along. Thankfully we're also bringing my sister to help watch her. We got an Airbnb, and there's a nice-looking grocery store right around the corner, so that will help. Just need to research the easiest way to get around everywhere with a kid. From what I understand so far, the black cabs are gonna be the way to go...

I have hit the point in my training where I am trying to eat as much cake as possible. With just over 2 weeks until my race I should probably decide to either cut back or go for broke.

2023 Rock The Parkway Race Report

DNS-DNF

And that wraps up my racing career for good.

I signed up for this race in the fall hoping it would jumpstart some training and getting back to what I would call a normal routine. My full intention going into this one was "follow your plan one day at a time." I started really giving it a go in January, and started ramping it up around the 13th. My thought at the time was "just make it two weeks. two weeks and it becomes a habit and a new lifestyle again."

Had a pretty good couple of weeks and I could see progress, but then all the wheels fell off physically. I've alluded to my neck issues before and also my stomach issues, and unfortunately I have entered the new normal for me physically.

I have pain every day. My neck is at the point where the minute I wake up until the minute I fall asleep I am in pain:

My neck
Shoulders on both sides
Pain shooting down my arms
Knots in my shoulder blades
Pain that radiates into my head

Some days are better than others, and those are the days that you could see on Strava that I ran. But unfortunately there are more bad days then good days. On top of that my ulcerative colitis works my body over in different ways all the time. Stomach acid...exhaustion...reactions to different foods...it's a battle daily.

There are days where I literally walk in from work, eat dinner, and fall into bed because I simply can't function. It's been hard.

Despite that I still intended to run this race. I ran that 10 miler two weeks ago to test everything. I came out tired but thought that this was doable. I looked at my Strava from last year to the build-up to this same half marathon and it was similar. So I knew if I felt good enough I could get through it in about 2.5 hours. Which would be a nice swan song and tie a nice bow on my racing career. I even texted @gianmarco earlier this week and said I was gonna do it.

Ate good all week, but as the week worn on I got more and more exhausted. Picked up my race packet and knew it wasn't going to happen. The juice was not worth the squeeze in this case. I didn't want to put my body in some trauma, since it can activate the colitis in a bad way. This happened after my half last year and I didn't want that to happen again.

So the next steps? I don't know. I have an appointment with a neurologist at the end of this month to start the process of sorting out my neck. Hopefully figuring that out will at least help with the physical pain. The colitis stuff will never leave me - I'll be living with that until the day I die. None of these healthy issues are life-threatening - just life-adjusting.

So this is a rough day and a liberating day in some ways. It's sad because I'm staring mortality in the face in the sense that I simply cannot do some things I was capable of before. Age and the life I have lived has contributed to that. I put my body through hell early in my life with soccer, construction work, and a work hard/play hard mentality. There is a lot of regret there.

But, my path in life also led me here. To this thread. To you guys. To the family that we have here. You guys have taught me EVERYTHING about running. On how to be good at it. On how to be accountable. On how every little step leads to much bigger leaps. Advice I have gotten here I've passed to my own children. So there is a legacy here that we all should be proud of.

And I am. I'm so proud of what I was able to accomplish.

3 - marathons
16 - half marathons
3 - 5K's - two second place age group medals
1 - trail run
1 - team relay
1 - Covid team relay
1 - Chance for Hope 10K

Achievement of the two main goals I had for running: a sub 4:00 marathon and a 1:45 half marathon. And you guys were here for every step of it. And thoughts of you guys were in my head at some point for every step of it.

So I thank you. For the encouragement. The tough love. The shtick. And for the real life friends you have all become. I am honored and humbled to have gotten to know you guys and I consider all of you my friends. And I will see you again. In real life and here.

I'm not going away - I'll be around to pop in once in awhile. I'm not going to stop running - it will just have to be when I am able.

Good luck to all you guys in your spring races and all of your training going forwards. Love you all.

Joe
ChiefD
Shovel Master

DNS-DNF

I signed up for this race in the fall hoping it would jumpstart some training and getting back to what I would call a normal routine. My full intention going into this one was "follow your plan one day at a time." I started really giving it a go in January, and started ramping it up around the 13th. My thought at the time was "just make it two weeks. two weeks and it becomes a habit and a new lifestyle again."

Had a pretty good couple of weeks and I could see progress, but then all the wheels fell off physically. I've alluded to my neck issues before and also my stomach issues, and unfortunately I have entered the new normal for me physically.

I have pain every day. My neck is at the point where the minute I wake up until the minute I fall asleep I am in pain:

My neck
Shoulders on both sides

Some days are better than others, and those are the days that you could see on Strava that I ran. But unfortunately there are more bad days then good days. On top of that my ulcerative colitis works my body over in different ways all the time. Stomach acid...exhaustion...reactions to different foods...it's a battle daily.

There are days where I literally walk in from work, eat dinner, and fall into bed because I simply can't function. It's been hard.

Despite that I still intended to run this race. I ran that 10 miler two weeks ago to test everything. I came out tired but thought that this was doable. I looked at my Strava from last year to the build-up to this same half marathon and it was similar. So I knew if I felt good enough I could get through it in about 2.5 hours. Which would be a nice swan song and tie a nice bow on my racing career. I even texted @gianmarco earlier this week and said I was gonna do it.

Ate good all week, but as the week worn on I got more and more exhausted. Picked up my race packet and knew it wasn't going to happen. The juice was not worth the squeeze in this case. I didn't want to put my body in some trauma, since it can activate the colitis in a bad way. This happened after my half last year and I didn't want that to happen again.

So the next steps? I don't know. I have an appointment with a neurologist at the end of this month to start the process of sorting out my neck. Hopefully figuring that out will at least help with the physical pain. The colitis stuff will never leave me - I'll be living with that until the day I die. None of these healthy issues are life-threatening - just life-adjusting.

So this is a rough day and a liberating day in some ways. It's sad because I'm staring mortality in the face in the sense that I simply cannot do some things I was capable of before. Age and the life I have lived has contributed to that. I put my body through hell early in my life with soccer, construction work, and a work hard/play hard mentality. There is a lot of regret there.

But, my path in life also led me here. To this thread. To you guys. To the family that we have here. You guys have taught me EVERYTHING about running. On how to be good at it. On how to be accountable. On how every little step leads to much bigger leaps. Advice I have gotten here I've passed to my own children. So there is a legacy here that we all should be proud of.

3 - marathons
16 - half marathons
1 - trail run
1 - team relay
1 - Covid team relay
1 - Chance for Hope 10K

Achievement of the two main goals I had for running: a sub 4:00 marathon and a 1:45 half marathon. And you guys were here for every step of it. And thoughts of you guys were in my head at some point for every step of it.

So I thank you. For the encouragement. The tough love. The shtick. And for the real life friends you have all become. I am honored and humbled to have gotten to know you guys and I consider all of you my friends. And I will see you again. In real life and here.

I'm not going away - I'll be around to pop in once in awhile. I'm not going to stop running - it will just have to be when I am able.

Good luck to all you guys in your spring races and all of your training going forwards. Love you all.

Joe
ChiefD
Shovel Master
I know your mindset right now is that you’re done, but you’re not. You will be back and we’ll all be rooting you on when you do. You’re one of the best dudes in here, and I hate to see what you’re going through. Knowing you, you’re going to come out of this better than you went in because you’re a BMF and that’s what BMFs do. Good luck and get healthy, GB.

DNS-DNF

My neck
Shoulders on both sides

3 - marathons
16 - half marathons
1 - trail run
1 - team relay
1 - Covid team relay
1 - Chance for Hope 10K

Joe
ChiefD
Shovel Master
Shtick first:
If this really is it ..can I have your running shovel?
And with the stupid running out of the way, now will you check out Kristie Ennis to find some routines to help with the neck/shoulders/back/pain? Or if you prefer, Bob and Brad. (So this is only partially shtick.)

Serious:
We have our own little bubble here, and as wonderful and meaningful as it is, don't let it detract from the bigger picture. You're a great guy, Joe, and while you've contributed a ton here and make us proud and happy to call you a friend, your life is bigger than that - you're a great spouse and dad that's committed to your family. And as always, family first, which means, your health first, too. So stick around and keep us laughing and keep us honest. But focus on what you need to do to improve your health for the long-term. Love ya, man.

PS: I'm booked to speak at an accounting symposium in Kansas City on March 1st next year. Hopefully it's warm enough that we can crack open the garage and crack open a beer.

I’ve started swimming again after a LONG layoff. Anybody got a recommendation for Bluetooth underwater earbuds?

I guess I should have researched a little first - apparently Bluetooth doesn’t work or work well in the water so not sure that’s an option.

Last edited:
I’ve started swimming again after a LONG layoff. Anybody got a recommendation for Bluetooth underwater earbuds?

I guess I should have researched a little first - apparently Bluetooth doesn’t work or work well in the water so not sure that’s an option.
Check out Shokz. I’ve never used them but I think they have something designed for swimming. Check reviews online before buying because I use for running (and are great) but not familiar with swimming options.

DNS-DNF

My neck
Shoulders on both sides

3 - marathons
16 - half marathons
1 - trail run
1 - team relay
1 - Covid team relay
1 - Chance for Hope 10K

Joe
ChiefD
Shovel Master
Sounds like an obituary. But it doesn’t have to be.

Instead of running marathons, become a 5k runner. Or bike like @Brony. Swim if need be. Start a push-up challenge. Or tell us about how you have strengthened your core.

It’s clear you love your family and you want to be on this earth for a long time. So physical activity in some form will help you achieve this goal.

Stay here for accountability, support, motivation and laughs.

And who the hell will post the farmers market review every week?!?!?!! And if I need a shovel, who do I ask now? @gruecd doesn’t know anything about shovels!

Don’t go @ChiefD!

DNS-DNF

My neck
Shoulders on both sides

3 - marathons
16 - half marathons
1 - trail run
1 - team relay
1 - Covid team relay
1 - Chance for Hope 10K

Joe
ChiefD
Shovel Master
Want you to be healthy GB, best to you on getting the neck and back assessed and on the better track.
Your support to us all is so appreciated. Perhaps you shift gears and set up a bike trainer in the garage to keep you company during baseball games.
Hope you stick around and keep an eye on the race calendar for the days in here that are 🔥.
You are the ambassador of shovels and farmers markets and fountain Cokes as far as I’m concerned and a BMF.

Check out Shokz. I’ve never used them but I think they have something designed for swimming. Check reviews online before buying because I use for running (and are great) but not familiar with swimming options.

$99 at Best Buy right now. Good deal.

But for swimming, they have a different model that keeps your music in memory. Bluetooth is squirrely in water. I have used mine in the pool, and if I keep the phone close to the pool, it works "OK". I would say it works 90% of the time, depending on where I am in the pool and how deep my head is.

$99 at Best Buy right now. Good deal.

But for swimming, they have a different model that keeps your music in memory. Bluetooth is squirrely in water. I have used mine in the pool, and if I keep the phone close to the pool, it works "OK". I would say it works 90% of the time, depending on where I am in the pool and how deep my head is.
👍🏽
I had a pair of water earbuds before, had more trouble keeping them in my ear during flip turns than they were worth. Now I find it’s better without. I can’t stand the treadmill and need music or podcasts while running or cycling unless with a crew but love swimming without anything.

friend of mine's post on strava over the weekend... this is from the Carmel Marathon, which was Saturday.

4th OA
1st Master 🥇
6 min PR!!! 2:29:12 w/a negative split.
LFG!! On to Berlin.

this guy is on fire. he's dropped his marathon pr by light years over the last couple of years. He was 2:35 in that wind storm for the Monumental this past November and 2:41 at the 2021 Monumental. kind of crazy the effort he's put in the last couple years and the results he keeps posting.

@ChiefD I am sorry that you’re in so much constant pain, I hope you have a productive visit with the neurologist. I know you’ll be a good patient and attack the medically prescribed rehab just like half marathon training. You should post your rehab plan in here with weekly updates.

Don’t beat yourself up for how you treated your body in the past, you didn’t know what you know now then. You aren’t the first guy who didn’t love themselves enough in their youth, and I don’t mean masturbation, shovelhead.

Good luck figuring out the cause and solution to your pain, I’m looking forward to meeting you in person one day.

I really want to get my fitness back to where it was 3-4 years ago, so I decided yesterday that I'm going to do the "75 Hard Challenge" starting on June 1.

Anybody want to join me and be my accountability buddy?

In a nutshell, for 75 days straight:

• Pick a diet to follow, with no alcohol or cheat meals.
  • Drink a gallon of water daily.
  • Complete 2 daily 45-minute workouts (at least one outside).
  • Read 10 pages per day of a non-fiction book.
  • Take a progress photo every day.

I really want to get my fitness back to where it was 3-4 years ago, so I decided yesterday that I'm going to do the "75 Hard Challenge" starting on June 1.

Oh hell no.

Oh hell no.
Good up until the reading part, huh?

Oh hell no.
You didn't have me on step 1.

I expect this within the first month...

Oh hell no.
No alcohol in June, July, and half of August? Pure comedy.

Oh hell no.
No alcohol in June, July, and half of August? Pure comedy.
Yep. Baseball season.

Baseball season.
...and golf season...patio season...firepit season...beach season...concert season...don't get me wrong, I salute the discipline, but not aligned with my priorities right now. I have been pretty good about getting two 45 minute workouts in with frequency lately during the week, but track season is massacring my weekends. Even when I get runs in they aren't good cause I'm gassed from coaching.

Don't yet have my bib number for London, but I found out today that I'm assigned to Wave 2 with an estimated starting time of 10:04-10:08am. :yucky:

I fully expect you all to get up at 4-5am to track me and @SteelCurtain.
Fixed.

Glass City Marathon is at 6:30 EST that day...if anyone cares :kicksrock:
If I'm awake and not running I'll be locked into both. Sunday morning may be my only window for exercise that weekend though.

Don't yet have my bib number for London, but I found out today that I'm assigned to Wave 2 with an estimated starting time of 10:04-10:08am. :yucky:

Fixed.

If I'm awake and not running I'll be locked into both. Sunday morning may be my only window for exercise that weekend though.

I'm just messing around and this is just a "look at me" post.

I understand that Toledo is much less exciting than London...and sleeping...and working out...and family time...and farmers markets with big fat cokes!

Could go for a Hard May, maybe even June. But no pictures for this fugly dude.

Oh hell no.

🤔 almost had me on that one.

I will be drinking an occasional beer with our crew but can limit that one to no more than 2x / week.

I’ll modify mine. One month:
  • Cut out desserts and “added sugar”
  • Complete 2 workouts total of 90 minutes, at least one outside and one including flexibility / agility.
Posted on strava but lost 0.9% body fat and 2 lbs since March 1. My goal is 12% BF by June.

Fixed.

I'm just messing around and this is just a "look at me" post.

I understand that Toledo is much less exciting than London...and sleeping...and working out...and family time...and farmers markets with big fat cokes!
I would much rather coach one team, stay on a training schedule, and be engaged in here rather than coach 2 teams and be needed to volunteer on a third one when they don't have track at the same time as the other 2. I could sacrifice sunny and 70something drinking to make time, but I'm not a psychopath like gru.

Fixed.

I hope you get good weather, you've had a strong training cycle. I am sure it was harder than it looked but you made it look easy. It seemed like you nailed each key workout.

Over the next 7 weeks, I have a Morgan Wallen concert (this Friday), two Luke Combs concerts, and a bachelor party in Nashville. If my liver (and my marriage) can somehow survive all that, I'll desperately need the detox.

Ironically, I'm less worried about surviving all the liquor than I am all the sundresses, daisy dukes, and cowboy boots... :popcorn:

Over the next 7 weeks, I have a Morgan Wallen concert (this Friday), two Luke Combs concerts, and a bachelor party in Nashville. If my liver (and my marriage) can somehow survive all that, I'll desperately need the detox.

Ironically, I'm less worried about surviving all the liquor than I am all the sundresses, daisy dukes, and cowboy boots... :popcorn:
Be sure to post :pics:

Thanks! Ended up getting the Shokz for swimming pair. I’ve used it about 4 times now and for what I want it for I love it. Getting music on to the device is a pain but actually using it works better than I could have imagined.

Congrats @SteelCurtain ! You are a machine.

@ChiefD bummed to read that update from you, although I can sure relate to some of it. Getting old sucks, unless you're the ageless wonder @tri-man 47 (maybe there is something to 1000 daily lunges). Have you tried CBD for pain/inflammation? Whenever I tweak something it really seems to help, using either a roll-on or lotion topically and/or gummies or tinctures. After my last 100M (god that was a long time ago) I took a bunch and recovered much quicker than normal. And I'm talking about the zero-THC stuff (NTTAWWTHC, and that might work even better if that's your jam). For some people it helps a lot with sleep as well.

Despite living in Eugene, Oregon, I'm definitely not one of those that thinks hemp is the miracle cure for everything, I didn't touch any form of it from my 20s until the past few years. But it definitely has helped me and many others that I know. Just a thought, and happy to DM you a link to what I think is a solid source (there is a lot of crap out there), a company started with a bunch of former football players and other athletes that are dealing with daily pain.

And my quick update - on my hike yesterday with Summit I actually ran some of the downhill portions. And today my quads are trashed. I'm so soft......

@ChiefD bummed to read that update from you, although I can sure relate to some of it. Getting old sucks, unless you're the ageless wonder @tri-man 47 (maybe there is something to 1000 daily lunges). Have you tried CBD for pain/inflammation? Whenever I tweak something it really seems to help, using either a roll-on or lotion topically and/or gummies or tinctures. After my last 100M (god that was a long time ago) I took a bunch and recovered much quicker than normal. And I'm talking about the zero-THC stuff (NTTAWWTHC, and that might work even better if that's your jam). For some people it helps a lot with sleep as well.

Despite living in Eugene, Oregon, I'm definitely not one of those that thinks hemp is the miracle cure for everything, I didn't touch any form of it from my 20s until the past few years. But it definitely has helped me and many others that I know. Just a thought, and happy to DM you a link to what I think is a solid source (there is a lot of crap out there), a company started with a bunch of former football players and other athletes that are dealing with daily pain.
Yeah, I've started looking into CBD. I really try and limit taking any kind of pain medication just so I don't destroy my liver prematurely. I have to take Tylenol due to my gut stuff according to my GI doc.

I have my first appointment with the neurologist next week, which will be nothing more than checking me out so they can schedule the MRI. So we will see what happens there. But CBD is definitely on my radar.

Thanks gents for the support. I can confirm I sent a few pics to a few people mid-race. It was a fun Boston. The first couple miles had rain, but the crowds in the first 15 miles were unreal. Best of all the Boston's I've run.

It was raining hard on the hills (miles 16-19). Stopped just in time to run up heartbreak hill. The crowds here were smaller than I remember.

Boston College came out in force yesterday. Huge student crowds that had enthusiasm similar to Wellesley College girls.

I ran on pace through the first half. The rain came and I started to get cold. So I picked it up through the hills during the rain. Once the rain stopped and I warmed up, I slowed down again back to my goal pace. Ended a couple minutes faster than goal due to that section when it was raining.

Volunteers as always are just amazing.

All in all, good times. I picked up my London shoes on this trip from my London pace leader, so I need to practice with those this week.

Users who are viewing this thread