What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Ran a 10k - Official Thread (2 Viewers)

Eyeing the watch deals for Black Friday.

Fenix 7 is likely the choice. Anyone else partaking in upgrading their wrist jewelry?
If you are looking to purchase something, look into buying at FleetFeet. If you have an account with them, I think you get $15 of store credit for every $100 or $150 you spend with them. I've heard it includes watches, so you can get a nice store credit to use if you buy the watch through them. Right now, some of the FleetFeet prices match the best I see on the internet.

@Juxtatarot ...I won't be able to make it in the morning for the Turkey Trot. You might have noticed I'm still not back to running due to a combination of the tweaked calves and the lingering chest congestion. I had hoped to still come out to see you and meet your mom and cheer you both on, but I need to maximize my rest and try to get healthy (though I might slip in a few miles if I feel a little better in the morning).

Do well, Juxt and @Dr_Zaius !!

@Juxtatarot ...I won't be able to make it in the morning for the Turkey Trot. You might have noticed I'm still not back to running due to a combination of the tweaked calves and the lingering chest congestion. I had hoped to still come out to see you and meet your mom and cheer you both on, but I need to maximize my rest and try to get healthy (though I might slip in a few miles if I feel a little better in the morning).

Do well, Juxt and @Dr_Zaius !!

Hopefully next year will work for us all. Get well soon!

Fricking A. Ran a 19:02. I was going for a sub 19 and thought I had it in the bag. The 3 mile sign synced with my watch but somehow had a .05 distance gain in the last .1?

Oh well. This is a legit PR vs the last one where the course was jacked up. Finished 1st in AG, 11th overall.

Happy Turkey Day!

Fricking A. Ran a 19:02. I was going for a sub 19 and thought I had it in the bag. The 3 mile sign synced with my watch but somehow had a .05 distance gain in the last .1?

Oh well. This is a legit PR vs the last one where the course was jacked up. Finished 1st in AG, 11th overall.

Happy Turkey Day!
Hell yeah, great job! :towelwave:

I finished in 17:37. 8 seconds off the PR I set last year. I should have paid more attention and pushed harder. No worries though. I haven't really felt in the groove since the half marathon and haven't had enough practice at the 5:3x paces. Hopefully I can use the disappointment as fuel as I start ramping things up again at the start of the year.

My mom finished in 35:43, almost 8 minutes faster than the next woman in the 75-80 age group.

Congrats on the PR @xulf! Don't fret over the few seconds. You have many more PRs ahead of you!

Happy Thanksgiving everyone!

How do you guys coordinate weight lifting with running? I was alternating between weights then running the next day but lately I've felt that running a few hours after weight lifting might be best.

How do you guys coordinate weight lifting with running? I was alternating between weights then running the next day but lately I've felt that running a few hours after weight lifting might be best.
I believe it’s best to do your heavy lifting on an off day from running. Doing weights later in the day after a run can be fine if it’s not a hard day of training. But running a few hours after lifting sounds quite risky.

Nice work @xulf, @Juxtatarot and @Juxtatarot's mom. So inspiring with speed and longevity!

Happy belated Thanksgiving to you guys. Always good to get knowledge, inspiration and friendship with the crew in here.

My update -- its been a long 5 months for me so I'm in the middle of taking a full month off from running. I hope it allows things to settle down and allow my body to heal. I'm doing strength work prescribed by my PT and will do a bunch of slow running in the first half of the year in an effort to get my endurance back all to prep for a BQ attempt in early September (possibly at the Tunnel Marathon in Washington).

Keep running boys!

Depends on your goals- short and long term. High level, if you're resistance training adapted and trying to get faster then an easy run after a lift should be fine, but you may have your own other unique variables needing considered.

Depends on your goals- short and long term. High level, if you're resistance training adapted and trying to get faster then an easy run after a lift should be fine, but you may have your own other unique variables needing considered.
Take Macs advice as he’s a guy who is strong and fast.
A wet paper bag weak and slower guy who reads a lot has learned that some people prefer lifting after running to keep hard days hard and easy or off days all the way easy or off.

Others prefer lift days and run days separate for focus and recovery.

The consensus I’ve learned is find what works for you and do it and if you have the time to do both in a session or day, do the one you prioritize first.

But running a few hours after lifting sounds quite risky.
Meh. Maybe for old, skinny guys. ;)

I try to lift 3 days per week. Doesn't always happen, but I try. Chest/triceps, back/biceps, and legs/shoulders, plus core work each time. I typically run in the morning, so I tend to lift later in the afternoon after work and before going home. I typically try to do legs two days before a rest day or easy day, as there tends to be a bit of a lag with the soreness.

I lift about 6 times a week. I agree with the hard days. Love stacking a long run or hard workout with an immediate tough leg session. Just completely exhaust my legs in one 3-hour window. I did that yesterday. Don’t plan on moving from the couch after I hit some chest and back in the gym.

For those of you saying “should I buy the Saucony speed 3s on sale today (Saucony site and running warehouse) or wait for the 4s in spring?”

The answer is but both. Thanks.
Please click subscribe for more sick content.
I just bought another pair of Kinvera 13s for $48 on running warehouse. I guess I could use another…

For those of you saying “should I buy the Saucony speed 3s on sale today (Saucony site and running warehouse) or wait for the 4s in spring?”

I'm still working on my 2s. I'm waiting for the half off the 3s once the 4s come out.

I just bought another pair of Kinvera 13s for $48 on running warehouse. I guess I could use another…

I love the 13s. Still have a couple unopened pairs boxed up. May get another.

19:46 for 18th overall, 2nd AG and a frozen turkey. Beforehand I thought there was an outside chance I could push for 19:30, but not in the cards and I'm happy with my result. 6:16, 6:30, 6:24 + 5:28 for the .11. Mile 3 has a sizable hill so I was fine with my pacing for that, but I should have done a little better in mile 2. That said, I was sucking wind by the end, so that's probably all of the fitness I had.

I lift about 6 times a week. I agree with the hard days. Love stacking a long run or hard workout with an immediate tough leg session. Just completely exhaust my legs in one 3-hour window. I did that yesterday. Don’t plan on moving from the couch after I hit some chest and back in the gym.
Yes, I've begun to think that stacking hard days is best, in order to allow time for recovery. If I work legs and then have a hard run the next day, maybe I'm limiting my gains?

19:46 for 18th overall, 2nd AG and a frozen turkey. Beforehand I thought there was an outside chance I could push for 19:30, but not in the cards and I'm happy with my result. 6:16, 6:30, 6:24 + 5:28 for the .11. Mile 3 has a sizable hill so I was fine with my pacing for that, but I should have done a little better in mile 2. That said, I was sucking wind by the end, so that's probably all of the fitness I had.

Gobble gobble! I love the frozen turkey aspect of this event :lmao:

Great race, really pushed it at the end.

Yes, I've begun to think that stacking hard days is best, in order to allow time for recovery. If I work legs and then have a hard run the next day, maybe I'm limiting my gains?
Probably. It’s best to swim on rest days.
:oldunsure:

Right? What's crazy is that the turkey is for 2nd place, which never made any sense to me. One year when I won my AG I offered to trade the second place guy my gift certificate for his turkey, but he wasn't interested.

Right? What's crazy is that the turkey is for 2nd place, which never made any sense to me. One year when I won my AG I offered to trade the second place guy my gift certificate for his turkey, but he wasn't interested.
Next time you're about to win, just stop at the finish line and let the other guy go first.

Thinking about getting a Garmin epix gen 2 over the Fenix 7 because I'm interested in using it for the golf gps and I read the epix is a tad less clunky. Just having trouble spending that much since I don't run regularly

Thinking about getting a Garmin epix gen 2 over the Fenix 7 because I'm interested in using it for the golf gps and I read the epix is a tad less clunky. Just having trouble spending that much since I don't run regularly

FWIW I have the former and love it. Especially appreciate the OLED screen.

"What's lifting?" - @Zasada (probably)

:kicksrock:

I was lifting (dumbbell presses and curls), but got tennis elbow in both elbows. It got to the point where it hurt to shake someone's hand. Took a couple of months to get better, then tried some pushups. And regressed a month. So, yeah, "what's lifting"?

On the running front, I got my ankle MRI results back last week, and see the PT tomorrow to review. Hopefully he tells me I can ease back into running again. Fingers crossed.

In the meantime I've googled the **** out of the stuff reported in the MRI. Now I need a pro to interpret for me and tell me what matters and what doesn't. Which will be tomorrow.

"What's lifting?" - @Zasada (probably)

:kicksrock:

I was lifting (dumbbell presses and curls), but got tennis elbow in both elbows. It got to the point where it hurt to shake someone's hand. Took a couple of months to get better, then tried some pushups. And regressed a month. So, yeah, "what's lifting"?

On the running front, I got my ankle MRI results back last week, and see the PT tomorrow to review. Hopefully he tells me I can ease back into running again. Fingers crossed.

In the meantime I've googled the **** out of the stuff reported in the MRI. Now I need a pro to interpret for me and tell me what matters and what doesn't. Which will be tomorrow.
Oof. I'm on the shelf for now as well. No running for a month. Trying to get healthy and let this old body recover before an epic spring marathon season starts.

If I had the money, this would be the year for me to do all six majors. I'm confirmed with four and the last two are the easiest to get into and I could definitely pace. However, I'd need a divorce attorney as my wife would kill me.

Who’d be interested in doing the Bourbon Chase Relay in Kentucky next fall? It’s October 6 this year, so I’d expect something similar in 2024.
Dates are October 4-5, 2024, and it looks like it's $1,920 for a 12-person team, so $160pp.

Who’d be interested in doing the Bourbon Chase Relay in Kentucky next fall? It’s October 6 this year, so I’d expect something similar in 2024.
Dates are October 4-5, 2024, and it looks like it's $1,920 for a 12-person team, so $160pp.
This might not work for me. We’ll see about if I luck box into Chicago in a week or two. Then with a west coast race in Sept and fall soccer season I might have a problem not with the wife but with the youngest kid who still actually likes me.

Users who are viewing this thread