What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Ran a 10k - Official Thread (1 Viewer)

Good timing. I was just thinking during last night's run that I could use a codpiece.
I'll never forget my first time with my home-made dong-sweater.

Took me about 6 months or so to knit that thing (had to use a lot of yarn obviously). Warm as could be. Really a game changer.

@ChiefD 's dong cover - https://i.etsystatic.com/15486872/r/il/50351c/3206606687/il_794xN.3206606687_5ilj.jpg

Mine - https://m.media-amazon.com/images/I/61lJ4fgjWYL._AC_UY780_.jpg

Gonna finish November at around 5,370 cycling miles for the year. The past 2 years, my full year totals were 2021; 5,330. 2022: 5,759. My loose target for the year is 5,200+ miles to average above 100 per week. I might be able to get to 6,000 this year, but it may be tough as I'm travelling the week of Christmas. I should be able to bike a little that week in LA, but doing the Rapha 500 (km) challenge is going to be a real stretch.

Who’d be interested in doing the Bourbon Chase Relay in Kentucky next fall? It’s October 6 this year, so I’d expect something similar in 2024.
Dates are October 4-5, 2024, and it looks like it's $1,920 for a 12-person team, so $160pp.
Not to belabor the point, but this thing does fill up, and I'm not excited about fronting $2K and hoping I can get enough people to fill a team.

Anybody else besides @gianmarco and @Dr_Zaius who are interested? My best buddy would do it, too, so that takes us to 4.

Only need 8 more...

Who’d be interested in doing the Bourbon Chase Relay in Kentucky next fall? It’s October 6 this year, so I’d expect something similar in 2024.
Dates are October 4-5, 2024, and it looks like it's $1,920 for a 12-person team, so $160pp.
Not to belabor the point, but this thing does fill up, and I'm not excited about fronting $2K and hoping I can get enough people to fill a team.

Anybody else besides @gianmarco and @Dr_Zaius who are interested? My best buddy would do it, too, so that takes us to 4.

Only need 8 more...
The Mrs is in as well.

Only need 8 more...
I'm still a maybe. Ireland is still in limbo cause my MIL has been in the hospital (just got moved to a rehab facility). I don't have enough vacation days to make any 2024 commitments until a decision is made on Ireland. Hopefully I'll know sometime in Dec.

Monthly assessment:
The “good”: lost 1.4 lbs, down to 183.5
The bad: lost 2.8 lbs of skeletal muscle mass
The ugly: gained 1.2% body fat. Up to 15.3%.

Who knew a combination of Halloween, leftover candy, thanksgiving, leftovers, and less strength training would be bad? :oldunsure:

Time to finish the year strong!

@gruecd , sorry, but I can’t commit to it. While I’ll only be teaching part-time, it will be with new schools and I won’t be able to easily skip classes in case of a Friday or Monday conflict.

November was my worst month for the monthly challenge. I won’t call it failure but darn close. Especially the last few days just haven’t felt up to it. My 12 week cycling program has kicked my ***. https://whatsonzwift.com/workouts/build-me-up
In week 7 right now.

December will be a rotation of the past 11 months. I’ll set it up in the morning.
As you’ve seen, November went very well for me as I did every workout from the list. I’ll keep that list handy for ongoing training. I’m looking forward to the mash-up in December as I loop back through the routines …this whole year has been great!

November was my worst month for the monthly challenge. I won’t call it failure but darn close. Especially the last few days just haven’t felt up to it. My 12 week cycling program has kicked my ***. https://whatsonzwift.com/workouts/build-me-up
In week 7 right now.

December will be a rotation of the past 11 months. I’ll set it up in the morning.
As you’ve seen, November went very well for me as I did every workout from the list. I’ll keep that list handy for ongoing training. I’m looking forward to the mash-up in December as I loop back through the routines …this whole year has been great!

It worked out well I think that this is a DECathlon
BTW, I learned today that OCTober and DEC are named that way because March was the first month in the Roman calendar. :nerd: The winter days following December were not included as part of any month.

Only need 8 more...
How many miles would a guy have to run?

Only need 8 more...
Ranges from 10-20 miles total but it's split up over 3 legs each. It's very similar to the KT-82 relay. It's a total of 200 miles, 12 people, 36 legs.

Leg information

Only need 8 more...
Ranges from 10-20 miles total but it's split up over 3 legs each. It's very similar to the KT-82 relay. It's a total of 200 miles, 12 people, 36 legs.

Leg information
Do the runners have to run those exact legs as outlined in that link?

Only need 8 more...

Leg information
Yes. Runner #1 would run legs #1, 13, and 25. Runner #2 gets #2, 14, and 26. So on and so forth.

Only need 8 more...

Leg information
I hear the runner #5 slot is still open.

Coming soon to a strava update near you

Now when @gruecd checks the flybys, he can slide. 😎
"So....wanna get together for a workout sometime?"

Question/advice for a novice well I joined this thread a few years back and remembered how much I hated running not a novice to exercise but am slowly getting back into some type of shape and adding cardio guy.....

So back story - went on golf trip end of October - saw a picture of how much a fat pos I am. If anyone dives into the fat to fit thread they know I yo yo terribly.

I don't need advice on my diet - I know that's my main issue. And I'm working on it

I'm 52 - I gained about 25 pounds over the covid years. I need to lose exactly 53 pounds to get back to my fighting weight.

At the start of November I started back up my stretching program and light lifting (its golf focused).. Not trying to bulk up - just using bands and kettlebells to workout and yoga stretches

I've been walking 2-3 miles regularly on average 3 times a week if possible. Not including any days I golf (I ride - course is not walkable due to layout, but try to walk half holes here and there)

In that time frame I posted a 5k time just to see what I could do and it was either 40 or 45 minutes I forget exactly. EDIT: it was 41:54 end of September

Right now I can walk 3-4 miles with no issues. For example, at lunch today I walked our full loop - it was 3.76 miles I did in 1:05:19.... I did not run once and just tried to keep a good brisk walking pace. I know not earth shattering but just giving a idea.

So I want to up my cardio portion and have read a variety of things. I will not be training for a half or anything like that I have too many ailments to really push myself too far.

With all that information here is my main question.

For maximum weight loss to start/fitness would it be better for me to say choose 2 miles and just keep doing that and trying to improve my time. Keep the 5k distance and do the same thing OR say see how far I can go in 30-45 minutes. I won't always have an hour to walk around/run. I'd like to have some type of goal when I go just so I'm not endlessly run walking....

TIA

Question/advice for a novice well I joined this thread a few years back and remembered how much I hated running not a novice to exercise but am slowly getting back into some type of shape and adding cardio guy.....

So back story - went on golf trip end of October - saw a picture of how much a fat pos I am. If anyone dives into the fat to fit thread they know I yo yo terribly.

I don't need advice on my diet - I know that's my main issue. And I'm working on it

I'm 52 - I gained about 25 pounds over the covid years. I need to lose exactly 53 pounds to get back to my fighting weight.

At the start of November I started back up my stretching program and light lifting (its golf focused).. Not trying to bulk up - just using bands and kettlebells to workout and yoga stretches

I've been walking 2-3 miles regularly on average 3 times a week if possible. Not including any days I golf (I ride - course is not walkable due to layout, but try to walk half holes here and there)

In that time frame I posted a 5k time just to see what I could do and it was either 40 or 45 minutes I forget exactly. EDIT: it was 41:54 end of September

Right now I can walk 3-4 miles with no issues. For example, at lunch today I walked our full loop - it was 3.76 miles I did in 1:05:19.... I did not run once and just tried to keep a good brisk walking pace. I know not earth shattering but just giving a idea.

So I want to up my cardio portion and have read a variety of things. I will not be training for a half or anything like that I have too many ailments to really push myself too far.

For maximum weight loss to start/fitness would it be better for me to say choose 2 miles and just keep doing that and trying to improve my time. Keep the 5k distance and do the same thing OR say see how far I can go in 30-45 minutes. I won't always have an hour to walk around/run. I'd like to have some type of goal when I go just so I'm not endlessly run walking....

TIA
MAF training may be your friend

TIA
NOT THIS AGAIN!!! OK thanks I'll reread this - remember the concept but not the full ins and outs

I'm sure its somewhere in this 1239 page thread but I'll just ask again ;)

So if I did it correctly 180-52-5 (5 for meeting criteria) #2 puts the top of my zone at 123.

So when I go out I should shoot to consistently stay between 113-123 correct?

Is there an optimal time or distance to go? I didn't see it in the link as in should I go for 3 miles at that pace or until I can't stay in that zone? Stop at say 3 minutes if I can do it in htat zone?

Getting a new garmin watch for Christmas so it will get some use

Last edited:
I'm sure its somewhere in this 1239 page thread but I'll just ask again ;)

So it I did it correctly 180-52-5 (5 for meeting criteria) #2 puts the top of my zone at 123.

So when I go out I should shoot to consistently stay between 113-123 correct?

Is there an optimal time or distance to go? I didn't see it in the link as in should I go for 3 miles at that pace or until I can't stay in that zone? Stop at say 3 minutes if I can do it in htat zone?

Getting a new garmin watch for Christmas so it will get some use
Ideally at least 30 minutes, but the idea is to be consistent. It may mean still more walking but it will allow you to jog some, even if slow. Do it by time, not distance.

Thanks - next time out I'll shoot for 45 minutes (30 minimum)

But I am correct I should stay between 113-123 HR (whether it's a jog, quick walk etc)

TIA
An option as you gear up is a run/walk combination. Run (jog) for x minutes; walk for y minutes. Continue to increase x and reduce y as the days and weeks progress.

So just did my neighborhood loop at lunch - my watch had my splits set to .62 for some reason but anyway.

I just did 30 minutes = 1.81 miles

I stayed in Samsungs health calculated zone of 106-123 85% so thats good. i need to figure out how to set custom. i watched my watch regularly to keep on top of the rate to get an idea.

To stay between 113-123 was weird. It was a quick walk - if I jogged I'd get above it quickly and slow my walk I drop below.

I avg 118 so its a start. I'll have to figure out how to actually use this watch and then my new on all over again lol

This might not work for me. We’ll see about if I luck box into Chicago in a week or two. Then with a west coast race in Sept and fall soccer season I might have a problem not with the wife but with the youngest kid who still actually likes me.
~ 120,000 Chicago applicants this year, no lottery luck for me. Will I be smarter next year about this time qualifier and less keyed on chasing of a BQ less buffer, probably a smart approach to goal setting.

This might not work for me. We’ll see about if I luck box into Chicago in a week or two. Then with a west coast race in Sept and fall soccer season I might have a problem not with the wife but with the youngest kid who still actually likes me.
~ 120,000 Chicago applicants this year, no lottery luck for me. Will I be smarter next year about this time qualifier and less keyed on chasing of a BQ less buffer, probably a smart approach to goal setting.

Too bad. I didn’t realize they changed the qualifying times. I think I might run in again in 2025 (I haven’t since 2019). I’ll have to qualify first though!

Too bad. I didn’t realize they changed the qualifying times. I think I might run in again in 2025 (I haven’t since 2019). I’ll have to qualify first though!
I don’t think age group time standards changed for Chicago, I just whiffed badly.

TIA
NOT THIS AGAIN!!! OK thanks I'll reread this - remember the concept but not the full ins and outs
Sucks mentally, pretty nice physically.

You can get in with Marathon Tours if you really wanted.

Thanks I don’t. It was fairly low on the want for 2024 with a Sept race planned.

Thanks I don’t. It was fairly low on the want for 2024 with a Sept race planned.
If you are interested in a fast beautiful marathon, it is looking more and more likely @bushdocda and myself will be running the Tunnel Marathon in September. This marathon will be a BQ for 2025 and 2026 if you choose to go for it.

I share this now as registration opens on January 1 and I honestly have no idea how quickly it fills. We are also kicking the idea around of possibly getting an AirBNB so if there are others who want to join and share car rental and accommodations, we would welcome you aboard.

The course is slight downhill. Its crushed gravel and evidently quite a stunning landscape. Weather is typically cool and ideal for racing.

If you want to join us, please let us know either posting here or shoot us a DM.

File this under “Elites are very different”

CJ Albertson won CIM December 3 with a 2:11:09……“But the race is not run on a World Athletics-certified course, which meant that Alberston still needed to run a marathon under 2:11:30 in order to be eligible to be selected for the 2024 Olympics at February’s U.S. Olympic Marathon Trials. So a week later, on December 10, Albertson ran the Baja California Marathon in Mexico, where crossed the line in first in 2:11:08, ticking off the important box….Now, in order to make the U.S. Olympic team, Alberston must finish in the top two at the Trials in Orlando on February 3.”

File this under “Elites are very different”

CJ Albertson won CIM December 3 with a 2:11:09……“But the race is not run on a World Athletics-certified course, which meant that Alberston still needed to run a marathon under 2:11:30 in order to be eligible to be selected for the 2024 Olympics at February’s U.S. Olympic Marathon Trials. So a week later, on December 10, Albertson ran the Baja California Marathon in Mexico, where crossed the line in first in 2:11:08, ticking off the important box….Now, in order to make the U.S. Olympic team, Alberston must finish in the top two at the Trials in Orlando on February 3.”

Yes we are.

so MAF attempt #2 - electric boogaloo.

I figured out how to setup my old watch to yell at me when i'm below 113 and above 123....

Unfortunately the app itself will not update my zones - it still has zone 2 at 107-123

That being said

44:02 - 2.8 miles

21.1% 9:20 above
76.2% 33:40 in MAF zone 107-123.....
0.8% 0:20 below

Hopefully my new Christmas watch will be a little more customizable

Users who are viewing this thread