What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Ran a 10k - Official Thread (2 Viewers)

Always hard for me to run at night because I get home and I'm gassed.  Of course almost getting hit by lightning last night was motivating to say the least.   :unsure:
I thought about the night route too. The temps at night are still about 10 degrees higher than at 4 am. In my current location, the average temp at 8 or 9 at night is around 86 degrees. At 4 am, the average temp is usually about 76 degrees. What I'm trying to say is, if there is such a thing as optimal time to run in Florida during the summer it's at 4-7 am. I find the humidity to be at its worst in the early morning, though. The humidity is usually 95-100% every single morning at 4 am. I just hope that all these mile I'm putting in with this disgusting weather translates to some amazing times in an area with less than 120 SI. I read an article about training in heat having a positive effect on plasma levels or something like that. Just hang in there, our 1 month of amazing weather is only about 6 months away!

Last edited by a moderator:
I obviously don't know Florida weather, but at least in hot Ohio summer weather it is significantly more comfortable running before/after sunset than before/after sunrise and it has everything to do with the humidity in those early morning hours.  

I obviously don't know Florida weather, but at least in hot Ohio summer weather it is significantly more comfortable running before/after sunset than before/after sunrise and it has everything to do with the humidity in those early morning hours.  
There is simply no escaping the humidity in FL this time of year.  It's brutal most of the time.  Worse on the east coast than here on the Gulf IMO.  West of Daytona beyond the river is one of the worst places I've experienced.  And I have to deal with that 4 times a year.

Hot as hades this morning and getting warmer throughout the day.  I like running in the morning, but I'd have to get up at 4 to do it regularly.  In the office usually by 7 so prolly not gonna happen unless I win the lottery.  :fingerscrossed:
We've had a short reprieve this week but will join you soon in the land of Suck. 

I have no idea what I'm doing running-wise the next few days, so now that I got today's in I'm doing my month end analysis now.  Not much to analyze though.  Too many runs (5) with our oldest while I pushed the double stroller.  But not something I'm complaining about!

One thing that really did catch my eye was elevation.  I did more this month (7,420') than I have probably ever done.  I topped out at 6,800' in marathon training last year and given that I grew up in flat lands and probably net zero 20+ mile weeks once moving to this neck of the woods until the last 2-3 years I think it's safe to assume I never came close to those numbers before.  Which is probably no more than about what @SFBayDuck with @tri-man 47 in the middle of the night last weekend.  Anyway, so...most elevation in a month, a 4:43* mile, and still maintained the monthly mileage I've done the previous 2 months (167 June, 165 May, 163 April).  Halfway through maintenance year and so far it's been a success.

July's goal is to increase mileage, simulating 90% of the first month of a marathon training cycle and see if I can effectively do it without losing strength.  Important month as how I do will have a big impact on how I structure the first half of marathon training this winter.

I was thinking about that out there, as I've been on that section of trail a few times in daylight.  It's not like being up high in The Canyons, but there are definitely some good 300'-400' drops in a few sections.

How has the rest of your trip been?
Rest of the trip was great!  An afternoon/night to recover and chill in Oroville, then a drive north on Monday - first for an easy 1 hour hike in one of the national forests, then some time at the Lassen Volcanic National Park.  The road through the park (rte 89) was still closed, but was able to walk a mile or so up the road to enjoy the views for a while.  Finished with a stunning 3 hour drive from Redding west to the Eureka area (rte 299).  On Tuesday I drove a bit north to the Prairie Creek Redwoods State Park and enjoyed a near 4 hour hike (9 miles) through the redwoods ...didn't see anyone for over two hours!  Drove a few hours back to Willits for the night (rte 101), then on to Sacramento on Wednesday for the flight home.  Exactly what I wanted - to see a part of the country I'd never seen before and a chance for some enjoyable R&R.  All in all, a fantastic six days in Cali!

AAA Invitational 5k Race Report

AG: 1/1

Overall: 1/1

Time: 39:54

I jogged, walked, then "sprinted" and walked more.  I found my groove late in mile 2 - faded at the end.

thats right - I only invited myself - made the victory somewhat bittersweet 
I am officially in training for next year: 

Best estimated 5k effort (37:13) 3 hours ago

I wish I had a barrel of rum and sugar 3000 #s

Total for 2017:

Distance

1,061.1 mi

Time

151h 51m

Elev Gain

28,110 ft

which means 301 :clap: miles, almost 42 hours for April.  

and Alabama is starting to get muggy.   :topcat:
it's only >80% humidity here most days now. 

2017 YTD
Distance    1,372.3 mi
Time    194h 35m
Elev Gain    38,317 ft

May: 
Distance    311.2 miles / 500.8 km  
Time    42h 44m
Elev Gain  10,207   ft
2017 YTD

Distance 1,673.0 mi

Time 235h 58m

Elev Gain 49,744 ft

June

May: 
Distance    300.7 miles 
Time    41 hours
Elev Gain   11,427 ft

Including the last 9 days of March, that's 1009.1 miles in 100 days :topcat: :help:

Alright, here's a question I don't know if there's a good answer. 

I ran a MAF 10k earlier this week and a tempo 7 miles today.  Just looking at the average pace for both, my tempo is only 13 seconds faster per mile but felt quite a bit harder.  This doesn't seem right to me.  How much difference should there be between tempo and MAF?  

I don't know that I'd change anything but I'm curious.  It's probably been discussed on EP but I don't recall.

I ran a MAF 10k earlier this week and a tempo 7 miles today.  Just looking at the average pace for both, my tempo is only 13 seconds faster per mile but felt quite a bit harder.  This doesn't seem right to me.  How much difference should there be between tempo and MAF?  

I don't know that I'd change anything but I'm curious.  It's probably been discussed on EP but I don't recall.
They've talked about this a lot, actually.  Lucho used to have this happen when he was MAFing heavily - the MAF pace improves to a point where it starts to bump up next to threshold/tempo pace, which means you've pretty much run out of room for MAF improvement.  It also means that your margin of error, so to speak, has gotten real small - if you're on a long run and let your pace bump up just a little you're at threshold and you're likely to blow up.

This would be the time to introduce more intensity, I would think - time to raise the ceiling on that threshold/tempo to increase that range again, then you can go back to MAF and work on that again.  It also seems like you're far enough out from the 100M that you could do a block of intensity now and then have plenty of time to move back to more race specific MAF block going into the race.

Finally synced my Garmin so the first 55 miles or so are uploaded to Strava, as it died there.  That was really more like the mile 53 1/2 point of the course, shows how off GPS can be when you're going through canyons.  Jim is going to send me his file, not sure if he just got from 78-100 or also the section from Michigan Bluff to Foresthill as he paced that 6-7 mile section as well.

@tri-man 47, did you capture a garmin file while you were pacing?  If so, could you send it to me?  

They've talked about this a lot, actually.  Lucho used to have this happen when he was MAFing heavily - the MAF pace improves to a point where it starts to bump up next to threshold/tempo pace, which means you've pretty much run out of room for MAF improvement.  It also means that your margin of error, so to speak, has gotten real small - if you're on a long run and let your pace bump up just a little you're at threshold and you're likely to blow up.

This would be the time to introduce more intensity, I would think - time to raise the ceiling on that threshold/tempo to increase that range again, then you can go back to MAF and work on that again.  It also seems like you're far enough out from the 100M that you could do a block of intensity now and then have plenty of time to move back to more race specific MAF block going into the race.
:thumbup:  

That's pretty much the plan.  

And yes, my recent long runs have felt hard enough where I've walked more than usual. I've gotten slower on those while maf has gotten faster.  I was blaming the humidity but it might be exactly what you wrote.  

Thinking July to mid August will be less mileage, more intensity, more strength and cross training. Instead of easy run days I'll probably jump back on the bike and give the legs a break from the impact. 

:thumbup:  

That's pretty much the plan.  

And yes, my recent long runs have felt hard enough where I've walked more than usual. I've gotten slower on those while maf has gotten faster.  I was blaming the humidity but it might be exactly what you wrote.  

Thinking July to mid August will be less mileage, more intensity, more strength and cross training. Instead of easy run days I'll probably jump back on the bike and give the legs a break from the impact. 
It's a good place to be - you've obviously responded really well to MAF and your endurance base and fat metabolism are in a great place.  Time to change the stress.

Here's the video my daughter took at the track and the few minutes afterward with the whole crew (and Surf, looking showered and refreshed) meeting back up on the infield. 

That "yeah Dad!" a few seconds in will make me tear up for a long, long time whenever I watch this.  Her comment at the 3:15 mark is up there, too.  
: :tebow: :heart: :cry:   :tebow:

holy hell, gb. in absolute awe and tears. amazed, inspired and proud (and fat) to type words in this place you inhabit. 

I think this is what happens when you train like mad and don't race.  :o

Definitely getting more confident ill be able to complete my Olympic distance tri I signed up for in a bet that I could beat a good buddy (officiant of my wedding coming up in October).  Got up bright and early and swam bike and ran today.

swim: 1 mile in Lake Michigan - no clue on time but im a decent swimmer and passed a few people.  I need to get one of those watches so I know how fast im going, but to be honest, im just happy to swim a mile in open water and be able to walk out of it rather than get pulled

bike: 20 miles down the lake front path.  Averaged 3:20 a mile.  Hope to improve that race day just with the extra energy of it being a race.  Great ride though today, not too much wind either way.  A lot of the marathon training groups were out and they do a great job for the most part of running 2 across and staying to the right but it never fails you have a few people running 4 wide making passes dangerous with people also oncoming.  I'll probably start heading south rather than north which is usually less crowded, but started the bike at 7 am so it wasnt too bad

run: 3.1 miles.  Ran this at a 7:20 pace.  First time running right after hopping off a bike.  As some of you have said, it will feel like your dragging but you'll be surprised how fast you are moving.  I definitely agree with that.  I did the first mile in 7:07 and if I would have had to guess I would have guessed like 8:30 because thats what it felt like.

Anyway, first time I did all 3 in a row, and ill need to add 6 miles to the bike and 3.1 to the run on race day, im pretty confident I could have done that today if needed.  Now I just need to get in a training routine.  July is going to be tough as im in Mexico for vacation the 16-22 and seattle for work 23-30 but maybe ill bring my wetsuit to seattle.  Mix in the World Series of Poker Main event, and if I advance at all in that Im on the road basically from the 6th-30th.  We will see

Hope everyone has a great holiday weekend!!  I expect to see some good race updates!

ditka - you're well positioned for the race!  A key on the swim is coming out with some energy to spare, and it sounds like you're ready for that (though the race will be a mosh pit at the start).  The bike will definitely be faster on a closed race course.  You've got a fast run time already ...add in race conditions, and you'll be motivated to run!!

Signed up for Lakefront and started to ramp up training. Ran a very humid 12 miles on Thursday night, an easy 5 recovery yesterday morning, and 15 more sweaty miles earlier today.

I don't doubt that the nut chafing that was discussed a few pages back is super painful, but I'll just say that the butt crack chafing caused by a pair of sweat-soaked shorts isn't very fun either. :no:

Signed up for Lakefront and started to ramp up training. Ran a very humid 12 miles on Thursday night, an easy 5 recovery yesterday morning, and 15 more sweaty miles earlier today.

I don't doubt that the nut chafing that was discussed a few pages back is super painful, but I'll just say that the butt crack chafing caused by a pair of sweat-soaked shorts isn't very fun either. :no:
Stoked for you, excited to follow along!

And any undercarriage chaffage is bad. I had terrible nut chaffing last weekend, despite reapplying Squirrels Nut Butter multiple times. But for the first time I had actual **** chaffing, terrible. I almost screamed first time I looked, I thought I was permanently deformed. It didn't look quite as bad after I washed all the blood off. But it hurt when I shook dry after peeing for the first few days - not a problem I wish on anyone. 

Ultrarunning is awesome....

Yup, have had both and as Duck said both are equally unpleasant.  Now I just squeeze my butt cheeks the whole time so that there's less friction.   :thumbup:

And any undercarriage chaffage is bad. I had terrible nut chaffing last weekend, despite reapplying Squirrels Nut Butter multiple times. But for the first time I had actual **** chaffing, terrible. I almost screamed first time I looked, I thought I was permanently deformed. It didn't look quite as bad after I washed all the blood off. But it hurt when I shook dry after peeing for the first few days - not a problem I wish on anyone. 

Ultrarunning is awesome....
Only having to lube his feet doesn't sound so bad now, does it, gentlemen? #crewinghaslimits

I am officially in training for next year: 

Best estimated 5k effort (37:13) 3 hours ago

I wish I had a barrel of rum and sugar 3000 #s
Nice - it'll be a good race!

I don't remember what a high/bad SI is but I just did 3.1 and it was 164 - I thought I was going to die during mile 3 - faded badly.  First mile was 9:39 pace   Last mile was like 13 something (can't figure out this Nike app syncing).  Total was somewhere around 36.

Nice - it'll be a good race!

I don't remember what a high/bad SI is but I just did 3.1 and it was 164 - I thought I was going to die during mile 3 - faded badly.  First mile was 9:39 pace   Last mile was like 13 something (can't figure out this Nike app syncing).  Total was somewhere around 36.
It's relative but 160 is horrible

I checked the weather before I left thus morning - temp 72 :thumbup:  humidity 99% :wall:

We've discussed it before but 90% humidity sucks. Unless it's under 60 degrees out.

I checked the weather before I left thus morning - temp 72 :thumbup:  humidity 99% :wall:

We've discussed it before but 90% humidity sucks. Unless it's under 60 degrees out.
Humidity was "only" 84 according to the Weather Channel app - I was drenched.  Honestly, I shouldn't try to run in those conditions yet - I'm not in good enough shape and I'm feeling a little sick.

Humidity was "only" 84 according to the Weather Channel app - I was drenched.  Honestly, I shouldn't try to run in those conditions yet - I'm not in good enough shape and I'm feeling a little sick.
If it makes you feel any better, I cut my fartlek workout short big time this morning for feeling much the same way.  Got one decent segment in, good enough for 2nd / 18 overall to run it, but I was spent for the next 3.5 miles.  I think I need to warmup more too, this segment is almost a mile and starts about 1/4 mile into the run.

Why does the humidity over 90 have such a negative impact. Just curious because all of my runs take place in 95% or higher humidity. I was thinking about running at night where the temps are about 10 degrees hotter but the humidity is only around 75-80. 

Why does the humidity over 90 have such a negative impact. Just curious because all of my runs take place in 95% or higher humidity. I was thinking about running at night where the temps are about 10 degrees hotter but the humidity is only around 75-80. 
Your sweat can't evaporate = your body can't cool itself.

I wound up doing race #2 and that race only this morning, so no post-race beers, though there will be plenty of those tonight.  

Stampede Run 5K

Great weather for a 4th of July weekend, high 70s and sunny today.  Little warm for 5K, but nothing to complain about.  I'm coming into the race in pretty good fitness, though mileage has been limited so endurance is questionable coming in.  Pre-race preparations went as usual; my kids & wife weren't interested so I didn't have to stress about getting them out of the house.  Today was first day running with Garmin watch so I could check pace if I was so inclined. 

Race started off good.  Felt relaxed and comfortable through first mile.  There was no marker, but Garmin had me at 6:05.   Sounds about right.   2nd mile was more of the same, but I started to notice a very slight incline which wasnt a good signal.  I felt the pace slip a little, but still very comfortable.  Hit mile 2 marker at 12:30, which is good for me.  Then I got really fatigued; lungs couldn't keep up.  I dipped in pace and Garmin said I was at 6:50 pace, which was good, cause it felt like 8:00/mi pace.  I slogged along til the turn entering a 0.5 mi straight away to finish. It was pathetic - started to speed up; then slowed down; sped up again; then slowed.  Around 1/4 mile left, saw my watch was at 18:00 so thought I'd beat 20; but body was saying no. 

Final: 20:12.  26th of 494. 2 of 22 in AG.  1st in AG was 19:41.  I'll get it next year. 

Nothing too remarkable about this one. I was really pushing the limits of what my body could handle, so didn't leave much out there.  I still struggle with how hard to push when body says no vs. how much distance left in race.  I did catch up with a bunch of people I know, so glad I chose this one. 

No other races on the horizon; just looking forward to keep the consistent running going. 

Your sweat can't evaporate = your body can't cool itself.
Running shirtless helps a lot with humidity but yeah, you're getting soaked and not cooling much.  

Humidity Hinders Cooling

Relative humidity is the amount of water in the air compared to the theoretical maximum amount of water in the air and it directly influences sweating and cooling.

Remember that the body cools itself with the evaporation of sweat — not the sweating itself. The more humid it is, the more saturated the air becomes with water, and the harder it becomes to evaporate sweat. With less evaporation of sweat, we don’t cool as well. Plus, that sweat remains on the skin, making it seem like you’re sweating more, but you’re not — that’s the lack of evaporation.

Buddy is down at the beach and told me about a beer run he did at a baseball stadium. Run a lap of the stadium, chug a beer and repeat 3x. He caught the front runners at each chug spot as they struggled with that portion. 

Takeaway is diversify your training gents. 

Buddy is down at the beach and told me about a beer run he did at a baseball stadium. Run a lap of the stadium, chug a beer and repeat 3x. He caught the front runners at each chug spot as they struggled with that portion. 

Have fun crosstraining this weekend gents! 

Now THIS is my kind of run.

11 year old has a soccer camp coming up in a couple of weeks. Wanted to start running with me to improve his fitness. Went out this morning with the goal of 1 mile. SI was probably 150 or so this morning.

After we hit a mile he kept asking when we were going to hit a mile. I kept saying: "just a little more. we are almost there."

We pull up to the house and I said: "Congrats. You just ran 1.2 miles."

The grin on his face was priceless: "We went more than a mile? Wow." 

So I drop him off because he is going to church with the wife and other kids, and so I go out for 3 or so more miles. Come back home, and everyone is still there.

Me: You guys didn't go to church?

Wife: No. Your son feels like he's gonna puke.

Me:  :headbang:

Me to son: Welcome to running, kid. We are going again tomorrow night.

Him:  :X

Users who are viewing this thread