What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Ran a 10k - Official Thread (5 Viewers)

So, due to some feet pain I've been having, I was forced to rummage through the back of my closet and get out my old pair of Hokas. Even though I never really liked the bulky feeling, I've run with them over the last few weeks (except my track workout last week) and they've seemed to help quite a bit. I was a little uncertain about my tempo run in them this morning but that went fine. I looked online and was considering buying another pair but, damn, there are a zillion different types now! Ugh!

So, due to some feet pain I've been having, I was forced to rummage through the back of my closet and get out my old pair of Hokas. Even though I never really liked the bulky feeling, I've run with them over the last few weeks (except my track workout last week) and they've seemed to help quite a bit. I was a little uncertain about my tempo run in them this morning but that went fine. I looked online and was considering buying another pair but, damn, there are a zillion different types now! Ugh!
Well, if you wore them this morning, they worked well! :thumbup:

Look into getting the cliftons. They are cushioned but very light weight.

It looks like the running store by me only carries the Mafate Speed and the Bondi. I could buy online but it would be nice to try them on first.

It looks like the running store by me only carries the Mafate Speed and the Bondi. I could buy online but it would be nice to try them on first.
I would DEFINITELY try them on first. The hokas that I had ran small and were actually a bit narrow too. I think most people need to get a 1/2 size bigger than normal.

Nice run with slightly cooler temps this morning. Only high 130ish SI. Ran 12 @ 8:28 (152bpm).

Progress...
Yeah, I checked the forecast last night, and it was projected to be a SI around 100 this morning. Bout fell out of my chair. So I decided to do my 8 miler this morning. It was great. The plan was for 8 slow miles, but decided after 4 miles to ramp it up and run the last 4 at around my goal MP (9:00).

Miles 1-4: 10:31 Pace. 147HR.

Miles 4-8: 9:09 Pace. 171HR.

At those low temps I was expecting a lot better pacing, because I felt like I was running faster than I have been. So not sure what the issue is there.

I didn't think I'd like them, but the Hoka has quickly become one of my favorite shoes. I have the Conquest, http://www.runningwarehouse.com/HOKA_ONE_ONE_Conquest/descpage-HOCOM3.html

of course, my other favorite is the vibram, then Mizuno. Love the variety!

Nice run with slightly cooler temps this morning. Only high 130ish SI. Ran 12 @ 8:28 (152bpm).

Progress...
Yeah, I checked the forecast last night, and it was projected to be a SI around 100 this morning. Bout fell out of my chair. So I decided to do my 8 miler this morning. It was great. The plan was for 8 slow miles, but decided after 4 miles to ramp it up and run the last 4 at around my goal MP (9:00).

At those low temps I was expecting a lot better pacing, because I felt like I was running faster than I have been. So not sure what the issue is there.
Your first 4 miles look real solid but that seems like a pretty steep spike in your heart rate for the rate of speed you increased. What was your averages for your best half early this year?

Progress...

Your first 4 miles look real solid but that seems like a pretty steep spike in your heart rate for the rate of speed you increased. What was your averages for your best half early this year?
is it though? that's almost 90 seconds faster per mile. No doubt my HR would do the same if I ran like Chief did.

That said, Chief and I know you won't want to hear it - you would be better off with a couple months of MAF / Zone 2 training. Hard to do with SIs in the 150s, but as things cool off, it's worth considering.

Progress...

When I ran the 1:51 in April, I was at 8:29 pace with a 174 HR. SI was only 85.

Therein lies my concern. I've run a lot more and feel like I'm going backwards.

Couldn't get my ### out of bed this morning so I'll try to run at lunch, forgot my damn Tomtom though, ####! A big part of my enjoyment comes from looking at the data afterwards. Fighting the urge to find an excuse to skip it.

Chief, are you mixing in any tempos/speed work?
Yeah, I've done some tempo runs and usually a short pace run each week and a longer pace run every other week. I did a ton of interval and hill training in the spring, but not as much of those for this training cycle. Mainly because of the heat, but also the Higdon plan I'm on doesn't call for them.

Keep in mind - my goals for the marathon tend to be different than most. I'm shooting for under 4 hours, but if I'm somewhere around there I'm ok with that. My main concern looking at the data is that at least I want to be trending in a positive direction, and that fitness level will be what I'm capable of at the marathon. But I'm either flat right now or regressing a little.

This morning was my test since the temps were cooler, and that test failed in my mind. OR, I'm just terribly unfit compared to what I thought. And that is sobering.

Last edited by a moderator:

Progress...

I don't know, maybe Fubar is right and I'm just talking out of my ###. I am surprised that with only a 100 SI you weren't seeing similar numbers to your half marathon. Your diet ok? I remember you saying that you were down a few pounds.

Progress...

I don't know, maybe Fubar is right and I'm just talking out of my ###. I am surprised that with only a 100 SI you weren't seeing similar numbers to your half marathon. Your diet ok? I remember you saying that you were down a few pounds.
I missed that.

I'm just saying I wouldn't be overly concerned. fatigue from running more and harder can have this effect. added stress of a change in diet or sleep will add to that.

Progress...

Yeah, seems to be. I haven't changed that at all. Plenty of fruits, veggies, healthy snacks, pasta, good protein every couple of days. No real changes there. If anything, I've had way less alcohol and have reduced my soda intake by about 50%.

To be honest, maybe I need MORE food. I haven't really increased my intake at all, despite running more miles.

Progress...

Yeah, seems to be. I haven't changed that at all. Plenty of fruits, veggies, healthy snacks, pasta, good protein every couple of days. No real changes there. If anything, I've had way less alcohol and have reduced my soda intake by about 50%.

To be honest, maybe I need MORE food. I haven't really increased my intake at all, despite running more miles.
That could be it. I went to a friend that was nutritionist a few weeks ago. I knew I needed to add some calories to keep up with my 50-60 mile weeks. I'm now getting about 3200-3500 calories a day. I've got much more energy on my runs lately. I'm also maintaining my weight, which is good because I didn't have a whole lot of body fat to start.

Progress...

there's your problem. :banned:

Cool. Thanks for a few minutes to talk this through. Appreciate the help. :thumbup:

I'll see about the nutrition aspect: I need to start tracking my calories better, but I would bet I'm under 2000 calories a day.

ChiefD said:
Cool. Thanks for a few minutes to talk this through. Appreciate the help. :thumbup:

I'll see about the nutrition aspect: I need to start tracking my calories better, but I would bet I'm under 2000 calories a day.
Start logging on myfitnesspal. It was an eye opening experience for me. If you're truly eating under 2000 calories a day and running > 30mpw, you've got problems. Unless you're 132 pounds :whistle:

If you have your profile set up correctly on TomTom's website, your calorie burn should be pretty accurate since you've got HR data. Plug that into myfitnesspal along with every single thing you eat...

ChiefD said:

Yeah, that seems way too low. Just think for instance today your burned around 800-900 calories. Your body is going to consume your muscle to compensate for lack of nutrition. Diet is huge.

ChiefD said:

Start logging on myfitnesspal. It was an eye opening experience for me. If you're truly eating under 2000 calories a day and running > 30mpw, you've got problems. Unless you're 132 pounds :whistle:

If you have your profile set up correctly on TomTom's website, your calorie burn should be pretty accurate since you've got HR data. Plug that into myfitnesspal along with every single thing you eat...
:thumbup:

Yeah, I've used myfittnesspal consistently for the last 3 weeks. Definitely good for accountability.

Under 2000 Calories? Hit the Buffet, Chief! You've earned it.

This morning was the first time I ever woke up in New Orleans without a hangover.

Mom is a mess and I have to be with her at all times except when she is undergoing treatment. Otherwise she will try to get up and go to the bathroom. She is a serious fall risk. The doctors are still attempting to come up a with a treatment for her and they may not even do the specific procedure she was sent here for (meaning I could have stayed in Lake Charles).

The levy along the Mississippi river where they run the 126-mile Baton Rouge to New Orleans race is right outside my window. I can see runners and cyclists out there. But so far, I haven't had a chance to get out there. Hoping I will today although I hate running in the heat of the day.

Hang 10 said:
Juxtatarot said:
Hang 10 said:
Juxtatarot said:

I would DEFINITELY try them on first. The hokas that I had ran small and were actually a bit narrow too. I think most people need to get a 1/2 size bigger than normal.
Agree, and with all of the different models available now even among Hokas the fit can vary. But I also go up a 1/2 size to a 12 1/2 in Hokas while I wear 12s in everything else.

FUBAR said:
Hang 10 said:
Juxtatarot said:

I didn't think I'd like them, but the Hoka has quickly become one of my favorite shoes. I have the Conquest, http://www.runningwarehouse.com/HOKA_ONE_ONE_Conquest/descpage-HOCOM3.html

of course, my other favorite is the vibram, then Mizuno. Love the variety!
I'm on my 2nd pair of Conquests, they are my "road shoe". Of course that means I don't wear them a lot but it's nice to have something to wear when I do need to put in a few miles on pavement so that I don't chew up the more aggressive tread of my Mafates, Challengers, or Stinsons.

Under 2000 Calories? Hit the Buffet, Chief! You've earned it.

This morning was the first time I ever woke up in New Orleans without a hangover.

Mom is a mess and I have to be with her at all times except when she is undergoing treatment. Otherwise she will try to get up and go to the bathroom. She is a serious fall risk. The doctors are still attempting to come up a with a treatment for her and they may not even do the specific procedure she was sent here for (meaning I could have stayed in Lake Charles).

The levy along the Mississippi river where they run the 126-mile Baton Rouge to New Orleans race is right outside my window. I can see runners and cyclists out there. But so far, I haven't had a chance to get out there. Hoping I will today although I hate running in the heat of the day.
I remember going through something similar last year with my Dad when we first brought him home - we had to bring in a nurse at night and put an alarm on the floor next to his bed to make sure he didn't try to get up when he wasn't able to walk well yet. Hang in there, and try and sneak out for that run if you can.

Training geeks - anybody have any good links or thoughts on hill repeat workouts? I've been doing 8-10 thirty second repeats up a pretty steep grade (10-22%) at 95+% effort (it's hard to finish the final few seconds of each rep), the first few times with 2 minute recovery and yesterday with 90 second recovery in between reps. Of course I do a couple of miles before and after for warm up and cool down as well.

My goal is to increase leg strength, running economy, and put in a little work on increased leg turnover. So is this the right way to go about it? I've found information on very short hill repeats (10 seconds all out), repeats in the 60-90 second range, and then longer vo2 max repeats of 2-4 minutes, but I haven't yet been able to find anything that really correlates the type of workout with the specific benefits on anything shorter than the vo2 max workouts.

Training geeks - anybody have any good links or thoughts on hill repeat workouts? I've been doing 8-10 thirty second repeats up a pretty steep grade (10-22%) at 95+% effort (it's hard to finish the final few seconds of each rep), the first few times with 2 minute recovery and yesterday with 90 second recovery in between reps. Of course I do a couple of miles before and after for warm up and cool down as well.

My goal is to increase leg strength, running economy, and put in a little work on increased leg turnover. So is this the right way to go about it? I've found information on very short hill repeats (10 seconds all out), repeats in the 60-90 second range, and then longer vo2 max repeats of 2-4 minutes, but I haven't yet been able to find anything that really correlates the type of workout with the specific benefits on anything shorter than the vo2 max workouts.
I could be wrong but I think when you're doing short hills like 30 seconds and under, your goal is to basically just build leg strength. So yeah, those hill efforts you're currently doing sound good.

I think the longer hills you shouldn't be going all out. I don't see 800m or longer hills as a VO2 max workout. I'd probably do those at around marathon pace. You can actually get more reps in this way.

For leg turnover, I've heard that a slight decline is the way to go. Preferably on a soft surface like grass. You'll have not choice but to turn your feet over quickly.

I could be wrong but I think when you're doing short hills like 30 seconds and under, your goal is to basically just build leg strength. So yeah, those hill efforts you're currently doing sound good.

I think the longer hills you shouldn't be going all out. I don't see 800m or longer hills as a VO2 max workout. I'd probably do those at around marathon pace. You can actually get more reps in this way.

For leg turnover, I've heard that a slight decline is the way to go. Preferably on a soft surface like grass. You'll have not choice but to turn your feet over quickly.
Thanks for your thoughts. As for the leg turnover I agree, but that's really just an added bonus and not really the primary or even secondary goal of what I'm trying to accomplish. When I slog along at 10-12 minute miles most of the time, those 6:30-7:30 pace uphill reps are much faster than most of what I do.

I do work in long downhill efforts every couple of weeks, but I tend to do these on semi-technical terrain so I'm limited in what I can do in terms of leg turnover. But again it's more of a strength workout - eccentric quad contractions to try and bullet proof them as much as possible for my longer races.

Mom went in for a minor procedure, so I took off down the levy and managed 3.9 miles. It was 95 and sunny so I was a wreck, but it felt good to get out. It won't get on strava until I get home.

I don't know how long I will be here, so I don't know if or when I will run here again.

Sorry about your mom's difficulties, worrierking.

I just finished a 5-day academic conference here in Chicago. With long days and a commute to the city each day, I didn't have time for much. Plus, my glute is still an issue, so I decided to not even try to run. I was also invited to participate in another conference in mid-October, and that would knock out a favorite local 5K that my university sponsors. (I also miss my favorite HM the week before that due to my son's wedding.) So I'll take it slow and careful and see what develops ...maybe I get a fall race season; maybe I don't. My bigger goal is better cross-training and, then, a focus on training for Boston next April. I plan to join a gym that has a pool so I can get back into swimming and biking with a goal next summer of starting back with some triathlons. As part of all this, I started back up a routine from several years ago of 500 push-ups/sit-ups each week.

tl; dr - still kind of injured and unfocused, but waiting patiently for fall and beyond.

Stravaguys - though undocumented I did run today, I swear...4.5 miles is the heat and humidity. No idea how fast but seemed slow. Also forgot my tunes. Glad I got out there but it's kind of like it never happened.

Stravaguys - though undocumented I did run today, I swear...4.5 miles is the heat and humidity. No idea how fast but seemed slow. Also forgot my tunes. Glad I got out there but it's kind of like it never happened.
You can add a manual entry if you want to keep your totals going.

Great job out there today. You're KILLING it.

65.5°F with a dew point of 62°F :clap: It's getting better!
Shhhhhsh. Don't jinx it. I got 20 miler scheduled for Sunday.
:lol: it'll still get up to around 90° but high 60s in the morning. I'll take it.
Oh yeah, I'll take that for sure. I'm doing my runs all early anyways. I don't care how hot it gets in the afternoon. Actually, I want it hot. Good beach or boat weather. :thumbup:

ChiefD said:

We might be on to something here. Logged all my info yesterday into myfitnesspal, and I was 1800 calories SHORT yesterday. :shock:

Oof.

ChiefD said:

We might be on to something here. Logged all my info yesterday into myfitnesspal, and I was 1800 calories SHORT yesterday. :shock:

Oof.
Yeeeeeeeeeeesh!

Give us some details.....

How old are you?

How much do you weigh?

What did you set your base calories at on MFP?

What did your watch say you burned on your run?

How many calories did you eat?

ChiefD said:

Oof.
Dude...

ChiefD said:

Oof.
Yeeeeeeeeeeesh!

How old are you? 46

How much do you weigh? 154

What did you set your base calories at on MFP? It's set at 2394. I think the software calculated it based on the info I put in: height, weight, age, how often I work out.

What did your watch say you burned on your run? 1081 (this was the 8 miler yesterday)

How many calories did you eat? 1639

But this is a good thing, Chiefs. You can't fix a problem if you don't identify it. And we've definitely found a problem.

Years before I was a runner, I was a gym rat. Loved lifting weights. The best piece of advice that I was given back then was that your muscles don't grow in the gym. They grow when you eat and rest. You can bench press 24/7 but without the proper nutrition you can't get the gains.

Now, I know running is different that body building but the general principle is true. It's not at all surprising that your potential is being stunted by your diet.

ChiefD said:

Oof.
Yeeeeeeeeeeesh!

How old are you? 46

What did you set your base calories at on MFP? It's set at 2394. I think the software calculated it based on the info I put in: height, weight, age, how often I work out.

What did your watch say you burned on your run? 1081 (this was the 8 miler yesterday)

I'm 155 and I ran 12 miles yesterday. I ate 3500 calories yesterday.

Sheeyat, it's only 10AM and I've already eaten 1200 today.

But this is a good thing, Chiefs. You can't fix a problem if you don't identify it. And we've definitely found a problem.

Years before I was a runner, I was a gym rat. Loved lifting weights. The best piece of advice that I was given back then was that your muscles don't grow in the gym. They grow when you eat and rest. You can bench press 24/7 but without the proper nutrition you can't get the gains.

Now, I know running is different that body building but the general principle is true. It's not at all surprising that your potential is being stunted by your diet.
:goodposting: Make sure you're getting quality proteins in ya. We're not going for mass, but your body still needs protein to rebuild.

This would make sense. I have never been a heavy eater. In fact, I've probably gone the opposite direction. Meaning, I try not to each too much so I don't carry around all that food while I run or have stomach issues in the evening when I run. I almost always run in the evening - after work and before dinner.

Starting to see the real benefits to running in the morning, as I could eat all the calories I need and be ready for the next morning's run.

ChiefD said:

Oof.
Yeeeeeeeeeeesh!

How old are you? 46

2394 feels high to me. I'm 175 and that's damn close to my BMR (I've calculated it out - not based on MFP settings). I'm wondering if you're double dipping a bit with the 'how often you work out' and the 1081 burned on your run.

At either rate, 1639 is criminally low! Go pig out today. Seriously.

Keep logging everything and see how you feel. Try to hit the goals set by MFP, but don't stress about hitting it perfectly. I'm betting after a couple of days of eating 2500-3000, you're going to be feeling a lot better.

This would make sense. I have never been a heavy eater. In fact, I've probably gone the opposite direction. Meaning, I try not to each too much so I don't carry around all that food while I run or have stomach issues in the evening when I run. I almost always run in the evening - after work and before dinner.

Starting to see the real benefits to running in the morning, as I could eat all the calories I need and be ready for the next morning's run.
Yeah, I don't like running with a full belly either. I've done fasted runs in the early morning but lately because my runs are longer, I eat a cliff bar before I get out the door. Started taking a supplement called Endurox immediately after. So I've already consumed about 520 calories by about 7AM. About an hour later I eat my breakfast. I try to eat at least 6 to 8 times a day. Not only am I refueling after my run but I'm stocking up the next morning.

If you usually get about half way through a run and you start to feel sluggish, now you know why.

Users who are viewing this thread