What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Ran a 10k - Official Thread (3 Viewers)

No point in making plans for 2021 right now given all of the uncertainty, so we'll tentatively say 2022 with an audible option for 2021 if things happen to break that way.  It's a twelve man team, and if I've tallied properly I have:

Probables (7) : gianmarco, chiefD, tri-man, juxt, bushdocda, Zasada (2022), Dr_Z

Intrigued / Subscribing to Newsletter (3) : El Floppo, mac, FUBAR

Interested but specific date doesn't work (1) : SteelCurtain
I could possibly be convinced.

Highly doubt Jones plays, and fully expect Rodgers to throw the ball until his arm falls off.  Basically the short passing game will become the running game.  When they do run, I'd imagine it'll be a mix of Ervin and Dexter Williams (with maybe a dash of John Lovett), but I don't know that I'd start any of them.  Rodgers might have 60 pass attempts.
Thanks.  I'll likely go with another option.  And since I have Adams, I like the idea of 60 pass attempts!

No point in making plans for 2021 right now given all of the uncertainty, so we'll tentatively say 2022 with an audible option for 2021 if things happen to break that way.  It's a twelve man team, and if I've tallied properly I have:

Probables (7) : gianmarco, chiefD, tri-man, juxt, bushdocda, Zasada (2022), Dr_Z

Intrigued / Subscribing to Newsletter (3) : El Floppo, mac, FUBAR

Interested but specific date doesn't work (1) : SteelCurtain
I'd like to be in the intrigued/subscribing to newsletter category.  I'm probably more "questionable" than "probable".  

My legs are still heavy... From the weekend or the hill repeats, dunno.

But at least it helped keep my pace down for my slow run this morning. Is been a struggle to go slower than 9s...the legs want to do go a bit faster and the mind hates having fatties pass me. But I won out over both this am, except for my usual mile 2-3 stretch after the legs have loosened up. LOOK AT ME

Eta...and the weather has been incredible here. 50s and fairly still.

Last edited by a moderator:
Highly doubt Jones plays, and fully expect Rodgers to throw the ball until his arm falls off.  Basically the short passing game will become the running game.  When they do run, I'd imagine it'll be a mix of Ervin and Dexter Williams (with maybe a dash of John Lovett), but I don't know that I'd start any of them.  Rodgers might have 60 pass attempts.

Davante should feast tonight.
That moment when you realize that your fantasy football opponent this week has both Rodgers and Adams...

Do we all agree that this Strava "local legend" stuff is stupid?  So I ran this section of my neighborhood more than any other Strava member in the last 90 days.  Whoopee!
Yes.

Especially when the "local legend" has ran that segment 3 times. 

There's a Strava segment set up years ago on what used to be a non busy road. In the past few years that segment has become unrunable most of the time unless you want to get hit or run in the ditch.  I ran it a few times in my early morning runs, as there isn't much traffic before 630, and :excited:  became the local legend! :clap:  🥱

Got it.  That's the main reason I bumped it - to reconcile the list with people's intentions.  Regardless of your designation, it goes without saying that you'd get to pick your race segment before grue.  :pokey:
Grue is definitely 2nd, though, right?

Like always

I'm grateful to have the opportunity to actually race next weekend, but I'm quickly realizing one aspect of it that's going to suck.  There are 10K, half marathon, marathon, and 50K races all starting at 8am plus 5K, 10K, and half marathon races starting at 9am.  They start waves of 10 people every 30 seconds, but people self-assign to waves, so there could ostensibly be a guy running the 10K starting in my same 8am wave, and one of my 50K competitors might not start until a couple minutes later.  All the races are run on the same two looped trails that overlap.  The 50K, for example, is 5 big loops and 2 small loops.  There's no back bib or anything to differentiate a 50K runner from a 5K runner.

How the hell do you "race" something like this when you have absolutely no idea of your placement throughout the race?  Just treat it as a time trail and let the placement fall where it may?

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm grateful to have the opportunity to actually race next weekend, but I'm quickly realizing one aspect of it that's going to suck.  There are 10K, half marathon, marathon, and 50K races all starting at 8am plus 5K, 10K, and half marathon races starting at 9am.  They start waves of 10 people every 30 seconds, but people self-assign to waves, so there could ostensibly be a guy running the 10K starting in my same 8am wave, and one of my 50K competitors might not start until a couple minutes later.  All the races are run on the same two looped trails that overlap.  The 50K, for example, is 5 big loops and 2 small loops.  There's no back bib or anything to differentiate a 50K runner from a 5K runner.

How the hell do you "race" something like this when you have absolutely no idea of your placement throughout the race?  Just treat it as a time trail and let the placement fall where it may?
🤔 That's every "race" for most of us. Run your own race.

Beautiful here this weekend - supposed to be mid 70's all weekend. Great morning for a 10 miler.  Knocked that out fairly easily. 24 miles this week already, which is my highest for awhile. May run tomorrow as well. Anyway, the daily activities:

Farmers Market - lots of goodies still available since the weather has been so good.

Quik Trip - big phat coke

Library to drop off books

McD's for that burrito

Home Depot - looking for 3/8" sheetrock - they don't carry it

Lowe's - looking for 3/8" sheetrock  - out of stock. :wall:   Bought barn door hardware instead.

Hair stylist came over for haircut

The rest of the day - sheetrock repair since I need to improvise now, yard work, bathroom work, watch football, grill steaks and drink beer. Oh, and my 50 pounds of farm raised organic beef is showing up this afternoon. :headbang:

Have a good weekend, gents.

When they built my house in 1967 they used 3/8 on the ceilings. I took out some can lights so I needed to patch those circular holes.
Thanks...interesting. Not a dimension I ever use unless I'm packing out the wall to make a flush applied base or other trim.

I usually do my buddy pickle run 7-8 slow conversational miles after my long run. I flipped it this week due to their schedules. Legs were definitely tired, but breathing was fairly easy going in the mid/upper 7s after a couple warmup miles and a bear attack in Dumbo (and it's glorious, spa-like and just cleaned bathroom). 

Wife and I went to a friend's spot for a previously and fortuitously planned little shindig on his penthouse patio. Some edibles and gin later, 10pm turned into 2am... Waking up and getting out to run at 7 was rough. And whatever mystery items the edibles compelled me to eat contributed to one hell of a grizzly attack around mile 5. 

20F, snow, and 30mph winds out of the north this morning.

So no trails.  Not even a street run.  Treadmill.  

My flight south is right when the early games start.  :angry:

Sundays are usually awesome.  Not this one.

El Floppo said:
I usually do my buddy pickle run 7-8 slow conversational miles after my long run. I flipped it this week due to their schedules. Legs were definitely tired, but breathing was fairly easy going in the mid/upper 7s after a couple warmup miles and a bear attack in Dumbo (and it's glorious, spa-like and just cleaned bathroom). 

Wife and I went to a friend's spot for a previously and fortuitously planned little shindig on his penthouse patio. Some edibles and gin later, 10pm turned into 2am... Waking up and getting out to run at 7 was rough. And whatever mystery items the edibles compelled me to eat contributed to one hell of a grizzly attack around mile 5. 
Running pushed the hangover back a bit. But I'm dying now. 

El Floppo said:

"Pickle run?"

First, I want to point out that you are fast AF and a huge motivation for me in my running. #beatgrue was a huge thing for me this time last year for a reason. Second, I don't know enough about this race to know if you legit have expectations to win this thing or not so if you you do, then you can ignore some of the following. Third, you have already been given the correct answer in the shortest form possible but I'm still going to be wordy and give you a bit of reality, imo.

That quoted line is really just a bad excuse wrapped in a question - total BS! Did place have anything to do with your kick ### monumental time? You finished 326th overall, 28th in your division. Did you know who all around you was in your division? Did you really count out 320+ people in front of you and it have anything at all to do with the time your ran? If you are in the elite runners of this race, then look up a few others and get all of you in the same start group.

But even if you are, you already know that running is more of a race against yourself than against the other people. The other people provide a measuring stick to compare against. But every single other person in the race is faced with the same hurdle you are. So get out there. RF;DBAP! Go be the badass you are and let the time worry about itself. 

First, I want to point out that you are fast AF and a huge motivation for me in my running. #beatgrue was a huge thing for me this time last year for a reason. Second, I don't know enough about this race to know if you legit have expectations to win this thing or not so if you you do, then you can ignore some of the following. Third, you have already been given the correct answer in the shortest form possible but I'm still going to be wordy and give you a bit of reality, imo.

That quoted line is really just a bad excuse wrapped in a question - total BS! Did place have anything to do with your kick ### monumental time? You finished 326th overall, 28th in your division. Did you know who all around you was in your division? Did you really count out 320+ people in front of you and it have anything at all to do with the time your ran? If you are in the elite runners of this race, then look up a few others and get all of you in the same start group.

But even if you are, you already know that running is more of a race against yourself than against the other people. The other people provide a measuring stick to compare against. But every single other person in the race is faced with the same hurdle you are. So get out there. RF;DBAP! Go be the badass you are and let the time worry about itself. 
Race strategy is entirely different when you're running for placement and not just for a time (as is usually the case).  It's apples and oranges.  

Trail.  Not really technical, some wood chips and some grass.  But hilly.
Well, based on your fitness I might pace it as a marathon. Maybe a few seconds slower than that at first to see how you feel.  You've been cranking out so much good stuff lately and certainly have the volume and mental capacity for this.

Race strategy is entirely different when you're running for placement and not just for a time (as is usually the case).  It's apples and oranges.  
I get that. Were/are you running this to win the whole thing? Finish top 3? What is/was your goal before the altered start?

Well, based on your fitness I might pace it as a marathon. Maybe a few seconds slower than that at first to see how you feel.  You've been cranking out so much good stuff lately and certainly have the volume and mental capacity for this.
Oh, it's gonna be way slower than my current marathon pace (whatever that is).  Running one big loop at sub-8 pace is a pretty good effort.  The race is five of them plus two smaller loops.  If I can average 8:30 pace, I'd be happy.  Just trying to decide if I should go out at that pace or if I should be conservative and run the first couple of loops closer to 8:45, which is going to feel painstakingly slow.

My main worry (and I think it's a legitimate one) is that my legs aren't fully recovered from my 53-miler a few weeks ago, which I'm afraid might cause a bigger slowdown that usual in the latter stages of this race if I'm not careful.

I get that. Were/are you running this to win the whole thing? Finish top 3? What is/was your goal before the altered start?
I don't anticipate it being a horribly competitive race.  I think top 3 is certainly within the realm of possibility.  Whether or not I could compete to win the whole thing just depends on who else shows up.  It's not a huge universe of people who can show up and run a fast 50K.

Users who are viewing this thread