What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Ran a 10k - Official Thread (4 Viewers)

Like run around the perimeter of it or actually run all through it (looks like there's all kinds of paths)?  Yeah, running along the river looks like it might be nice.  I also was thinking of running to Harvard from there to take a look at it (never been) and then running back.
Run through it and around it. Very cool park. 

Btw, I posted in the Boston thread looking for a little input and figured I'd throw it in here also since some of you have been there enough or actually live there. 

And, of course, open to any thoughts on routes to run from Copley as I'll be free during the day and looking to get some runs in while there for a few days next month.

Any recs -- Boston recs for food

@JAA , @wilked
Best place to run is along the Charles.  Also, take the T out to the top of Heartbreak Hill and run the last 5 miles of the marathon course.

Btw, I posted in the Boston thread looking for a little input and figured I'd throw it in here also since some of you have been there enough or actually live there. 

And, of course, open to any thoughts on routes to run from Copley as I'll be free during the day and looking to get some runs in while there for a few days next month.

@JAA , @wilked
Any Italian joint in the North End is money.  And while you're there, get a cannoli or five from Mike's Pastry (on Hanover).  My favorites are Oreo and chocolate chip.

Union Oyster is a staple if you're into that.  We also ate at Davio's this past weekend, and everyone really liked it.  Bukowski Tavern is a dope beer bar.

Listen to @gruecd

Take the T to heart break hill then run back. The park by cheers down to the Charles. If you have another day take the T down to Southie and run Castle Island.

Food - cannot go wrong with anything off the main strip on the North End. The smaller the better. Then skip dessert and go to Mike's. Cash only iirc though.

If the Sox are home and you want to venture that way we had a blast at Bleacher Bar.

Just got this email today...

Bib #9885 / Corral D / Wave 1 / Start Time - 7:33 AM

2 weeks! 
Guy at work and I were looking at this and talking about it... Here's the full course map:

https://d38trduahtodj3.cloudfront.net/files.ashx?t=fg&rid=IndyMini&f=Course_map_no_times_(with_water_gatorade_and_clif)(1).pdf

Here's the starting area and start times:

https://d38trduahtodj3.cloudfront.net/files.ashx?t=fg&rid=IndyMini&f=Mini_Start_Line_Map_2019(2).pdf

Wave 1 starts at 7:33 am. Wave 5 doesn't start until 8:10 am. Considering there are 5 corrals in wave 5 and presuming that corral Z will likely have people walking the event, it will be after 8:30 am by they time all of the Wave 5 people are turning off of White River Parkway onto Michigan. That means the top 100 or so finishers will be pass those just getting started in that little section that is a shared course at the 12 mile marker.

That's kind of funny to me. 

Related to food chat from yesterday or for some lack thereof, I’ve reached the ‘Snickers commercial’ phase of training where if I am not actively eating something I should be for the sake of my colleagues. 

Run along the Charles.  That’s the best place to go.   The common is ok to run but it’s nit great.  The perimeter will give you some serious hills.  

If you want ti run 7-8 miles, take green line from Copley out to Reservoir stop (on D line).  Then you can run out past Boston College on commonwealth Ave.  that’s where heartbreak hill is and then run it in to Boylston finish line.  (You May be able to go out to chestnut hill and be closer but I’m not familiar with it.)

Since you are a runner, take a moment and reflect on the two locations where the Boston marathon bombs went off on Boylston.  They are starting to erect a remembrance in the two spots. 

Finally, stop into Marathon Sports running shop at finish line.  

All this fuel talk made me realize that I probably should share I used the Maurten gels in Boston.  I used them in conjunction with shotblocks.  It was a success and very positive.  I think my stomach is a bit more sensitive than others, so something to consider.  

The only negative is that they are pricey.
You don’t carry a banana with you any more?

TripleThreat said:
@tri-man 47  Shot you a PM with her contact info.  
Got it ...and I responded back with my contact info and some background.  :excited:

--

Another vote for running around the Commons and then over the Boston finish line ...or a run along the Charles with a detour over to Harvard's campus.  I've done both of these and enjoyed each one.

Got it ...and I responded back with my contact info and some background.  :excited:

--

Another vote for running around the Commons and then over the Boston finish line ...or a run along the Charles with a detour over to Harvard's campus.  I've done both of these and enjoyed each one.
I was there in 2015 and ran from my hotel to the finish then up the course to Heartbreak Hill, then turned around and came back.  It was pretty damned cool to run on that course.

My pre-run nutrition that day was a french dip, sweet potato fries, a chocolate chip cookie, and vodka.  Wasn't the best idea I ever had.

@JAA , @wilked
I moved out of Boston 5 years ago for the burb life just out of town, so there may be new places that I am not aware of because I am only in there for work. Depends what you are looking for but...

Trillium is a great brewery. It is in Fort Point (seaport). Definitely worth going there. Some of the best beer in the world. They have food there too, have not had it.

Pizza - It is touristy and there likely will be a line if you go around dinner time, but Regina's on Thacher St. in the north end is great.

Steakhouse - There are many good steakhouses like any city. I'm partial to Grill 23 on the corner of Stuart and Berkeley, right next to the Loews hotel. The bar upstairs is a good spot.

Pub style - Brewer's Fork in Charlestown has good food and a great beer list (can you tell I like beer)

Seafood - Lots to choose from, but I'll mention Row 34, again in Fort Point. Good food, good service.

Tapas - Toro in the south end. I have not been here for 2 years, but I love this place.

There are lots of good restaurants, I am sure others will have more.

@JAA , @wilked
Also Marathon Sports has run club on Wednesday evenings. I used to go. Fun group of people ranging from 20's to 60's.

@JAA , @wilked
I imagine it’s covered below but my advice, don’t run around the common, don’t run through Boston. The only good place to run within Boston is on the Charles. See this map for guidance on distance

http://bostonrunner.com/images/crmap.jpg

Edit to add:

i hate stopping / starting so that means no Boston streets unless you start your run at 4am. And to me the common is too small and I hate multiple loops (vastly prefer one big loop). Plus the Charles is gorgeous 

Last edited by a moderator:
Considering how much I love running in my compression shorts and tights, you'd think I'd have a pair or 3 of socks too but currently don't have any. That said, I have a couple different compression shirts that I've messed around with but I'm not as big of fan of them as I am the shorts/tights. 

Used to be a huge fan of sock liners when hiking too. Had some of those that were more or less compression-esque and loved them under my wool socks. Will have to look at some running socks. 

2019 BOSTON MARATHON RACE REPORT

This was my second Boston marathon but this one I was going to race (unlike last year’s monsoon which I made into a fun run.)

I went in with a good training cycle.  I knew Boston was a tricky course to try to PR but I wanted to try to go sub 3:15.  In fact, I thought 3:12-3:13 would be a good place to aim for. 

The morning routines all went without incident.  Took a VIP bus out to the start so didn’t have to navigate the mud of Athlete’s Village from the rain.  By the time it was race time, the weather forecast was warming temperatures and to go from cloudy to mostly sunny.

I got to my corral (wave 2 corral 3).  Settled in.  Talked with a guy who was dressed up as a Modesto Police Officer.  All dark pants, long sleeve shirt and boots.  Quite a costume for a warm day.  Was wondering how he made out until I saw this article about him https://www.abc10.com/article/life/heartwarming/modesto-police-detective-runs-boston-marathon-in-full-uniform-in-memory-of-fallen-officers/103-d60956b9-8d6c-4fbf-8877-594949e7525f?fbclid=IwAR2gva-z7ZmmcI1HjoamI4tvyHhkU3buYJrHf0VSQmuH8kusYtcjSHqKgQs

I used a 3:11 Boston specific race band to try to follow to help guide me.  (pace band recommendations will be in parenthesis).

Mile 1 – 7:28 (7:06)

First mile it was almost impossible to hit the 7:06 goal pace.  The roads are crowded so my goal in mile 1 is to not step on anyone’s shoes, let the race come to me, don’t waste energy bobbing and weaving around people.  Oh…..and also don’t freak out that you are now 22 seconds behind your goal pace! 

Mile 2 – 7:07 (7:11)

Mile 3—7:14 (7:12)

Mile 4 – 7:11 (7:10)

Was trying to get into a rhythm but the temps had started to rise and I was sweating quite a bit.  I was working harder than I would have liked all things considered.

Mile 5 – 7:29 (7:21)

This mile is a bit uphill, and I continued to struggle a bit to hit the paces that I was aiming for.  I remembered back to my Chicago marathon a few years back where I felt off but I decided to go for it and eventually ran a personal best (at the time.)  At the conclusion of this mile, I was 30 seconds behind pace.

Mile 6 – 7:09 (7:17)

Mile 7 – 7:08 (7:15)

This was the beginning of me trying to make up that 30 second gap.  I pushed myself to steadily start to make up the time over a series of miles. 

Mile 8 – 7:16 (7:20)

Mile 9 – 7:14 (7:16)

Mile 10 – 7:17 (7:22)

As expected, this flat section provided me opportunities to push a bit and I felt good.  I was trying to steadily grab a few seconds back every mile.  This stretch of a marathon, the miles almost always feel relatively easy and these felt that way.  The crowds were really large through several of the towns, which is much different than last year when the weather was a torrential rain, wind and cold. 

Mile 11 – 7:20 (7:21)

Mile 12 – 7:10 (7:12)

This is when I started to notice how humid it really was.  I was sweating a lot so I was drinking from nearly every water stop.  I was being consistent with my nutrition during the race.  From Maurten gels to shotbloks to an occasional banana.

Mile 13 – 7:12 (7:21)

Mile 14 – 7:16 (7:17)

I started to really feel like I was pushing here.  In every marathon, you will have miles that go easy and others that are a grind.  This was the section that was a grind.  The highlight was seeing my family at mile 14. 

Mile 15 – 7:25 (7:22)

I was careful here to make sure I pulled back a little and “rest” before the hills that were coming soon. I had gotten myself back to being right on pace and wanted to prep for what was coming up.  Plus, the sun had come out.  It felt like the temp went up about 10 degrees in an instant.  For the first time, my right calk tightened up for an instant….almost like a twinge. 

Mile 16 – 7:14 (7:04)

This mile has a steep downhill that drops from Wellesley into Lower Newton Falls.  The natural inclination is to fly down this hill, however, doing so can destroy the quads which I’ll need for the next ten miles.  I actively held back to preserve my quads. My calf continued to twinge a couple more times which was disconcerting.

Mile 17 – 7:41 (7:30)

This is hill #1 of the 4 Newton Hills.  This hill is completely exposed as much of it is on a bridge over a highway.  There are no trees and the sun was blazing.  In the past, I felt like I had tried to go too hard up the hills, so I tried to keep it at even effort as I got myself up the hill.  I gave up a little time, but I was hoping I could make it up later in the race.

Mile 18 – 7:46 (7:29)

I made the right turn by the Newton firehouse (its an iconic location for Boston Marathoners as it’s the only turn on the course – other than at the very end) and headed up hill number 2.  This one was tough.  I was passing lots of people but I could feel my calves getting tighter. 

Mile 19 – 7:25 (7:14)

This section is mostly slight downhill.  This was when I needed to get back to pace, but I didn’t feel like I could get to 7:14 without putting my calves at risk. I knew my goal was not going to happen.  I was now trying to manage risk/reward as I figured how fast I could go.  I didn’t want the calf to fully seize up and I hobble in a death walk the final 7 miles.

Mile 20 – 7:51 (7:25)

Hill #3 is completed here.  At this point, the sun is cooking the runners and within ½ mile of passing the water station, I’m immediately looking for more water/Gatorade.  Probably 25% of the people are walking up this hill.  I just wanted to keep running.  I was running with a group with their names on their shirts so when fans yelled their names, I pretending they were yelling for me.  J 

Mile 21 – 8:05 (7:36)

The famous heartbreak hill.  Legs are gassed and I pushed up the hill.  Thankfully, maybe 1000 feet from the top, some guy yelled “See the street lights?  That’s the top.  You got this!”  After he said that, I just stared at the lights as they went from red to green to yellow and back to red.  My mantra was simple…. Just. Get. To. The. Lights. 

Mile 22 – 7:32

At this point, I stopped looking at my pace band, and I zeroed in on trying to break 3:15.  The sun was hot, my calf was incredibly tight.  Several times every mile, it felt like a lightning bolt went through my entire calf from knee down to Achilles.  I kept trying to manage my pace along with my leg.

Mile 23 – 8:00

I was running through Brookline where I lived for a few years back in the 90’s.  I knew this route quite well.  I did stop at one point for 20 seconds to stretch my calf on a curb.  It was about to seize up and I wanted to stretch it out.

Mile 24 – 7:40

Mile 25 – 7:48

Mile 26 – 8:04

I had accepted my 3:15 goal was not going to happen.  So I tried to push myself within reason as I wanted to make sure I had a buffer from my 3:20 Boston qualifying time for 2020. For every person that passed me, I passed 10 people.  The sun had taken a toll on everyone at this stage. Temps were a humid 70 degrees. Many people had cramped up and were walking.

Last 0.4 – 6:56/mile pace

I finally opened it up at this stage.  I didn’t have anything to lose as I could see the finish line.  If the leg seized up, I would stumble my way over the finish line.  This is the greatest finish line I’ve experienced.  The tall buildings and loud crowds makes a canyon of noise.  Boston Marathon #2 complete!

Official time – 3:16:41 …. Average pace of 7:30/mile

Qualified for 2020 Boston Marathon by 3 minutes and 19 seconds.

Overall -- #5731 out of 26,737 finishers (top 21.4%)

Ditto that!  

@SteelCurtain do you feel like your training was sufficient?  It sounds like it was and you just got a bad break on the weather.  Are you taking a few months off or are you looking to do another race?
I felt like it was.  I trained faster, but my work is crazy in April so being able to rest is tough.  I travel a lot and its high stress in April, so I'm never fully rested in spring. 

The weather was tough.  Especially since you can't train in heat all winter long. 

My next move from here is very much in the air.  Part of me wants to try to go sub 1:30 for a half marathon (or at least try).  I may pace a spring marathon next month.  I'm definitely done racing marathons until the fall.  I'd like to try to lift weights a little more.   I'm not really sure.  I'm running when I want to and seeing how this all plays out. 

Thanks for asking!

Anyone have thoughts on running a marathon about 2 weeks prior to a hundred?  Last cycle a back to back half and full marathon 3 weeks out was perfect.  Didn't miss a day of training or need any recovery after that.  2 weeks seems like it's cutting things tight, but find summer marathons is hard and I think the benefit/acclimation of racing in 80 degree temps prior to a summer 100 miler would be very important.

Anyone have thoughts on running a marathon about 2 weeks prior to a hundred?  Last cycle a back to back half and full marathon 3 weeks out was perfect.  Didn't miss a day of training or need any recovery after that.  2 weeks seems like it's cutting things tight, but find summer marathons is hard and I think the benefit/acclimation of racing in 80 degree temps prior to a summer 100 miler would be very important.
Just make sure you bring enough beer.

No Boston race report coming for this guy, as it's not a race that I really care to re-live.  I don't think there's anything I really could've done differently.  I simply can't perform in warm weather like that.  To be honest, if it had been any other race except Boston, I would've skipped it completely and found something this weekend to race instead.

On a more positive note, I hit the trails today for the first time since last July and had an awesome run.  Did 3 loops of a 4.8-mile course, the first couple nice and easy with my buddy and the last one smoking fast by myself.  Last time I ran this loop I was quite a bit heavier than I am now.  My previous best time was 42:21, and today I ran 37:49.  Has me wondering if I should stick with my plan to fun run the 50K in three weeks or actually race it...

As we speak, contemplating racing an 8K in Madison next Saturday ahead of the myTEAM TRIUMPH gig on Sunday.  And seriously considering doing a 24-hour event on June 22.  It's a 3-mile loop on a hilly but not technical trail.  Course record is 82.08 miles, which seems super do-able.  Even if I'd sleep for 3 hours, that's less than 4mph.  Anyone have any experience doing something like this?  @SFBayDuck? @BassNBrew?

@SteelCurtain, great job out there under miserable conditions.  You're a much better man than I.  Really enjoyed meeting up on Sunday afternoon, and hoping we can do it again soon over beers or something!
Definitely was great meeting you. Hope we can meet up again soon.  Steelers/Packers!!! 😊

We all have those lousy days on the course. Boston is such a beast.  Logistics, tricky course, everybody and their brother knows your running so there is this pressure to perform.  Add in heat and humidity and it’s almost impossible to do well.

Your talent is well documented.  You’ll be back.

Nice effort in those conditions and great report @Steel Curtain. And thanks for sharing the article on the police officer. Most of my adult life I’ve had police officers in my “family”, so that stuff always gets me. 

@SFBayDuck, I was reading your blog today and saw that you used the book Training Essentials for Ultrarunning.  I know I'm not supposed to look beyond the next game, but my hike yesterday got me daydreaming about my (attempt at running a) 50K in late Jun.

Would you recommend this book for a beginner like me?
It’s a great book, and Koop is one of the most respected coaches in the ultra world.  So I think you’d enjoy it and get a lot out of it. 

That being said, I don’t think you would “need” it in prepping for a 50K. You really just need to treat that like marathon training but with a little more focus on 1) time instead of miles and 2) specific terrain, elevation, and conditions (heat, altitude, etc). And of course nutrition and hydration becomes a little more important with the extra time you’ll be out there. 

No Boston race report coming for this guy, as it's not a race that I really care to re-live.  I don't think there's anything I really could've done differently.  I simply can't perform in warm weather like that.  To be honest, if it had been any other race except Boston, I would've skipped it completely and found something this weekend to race instead.

On a more positive note, I hit the trails today for the first time since last July and had an awesome run.  Did 3 loops of a 4.8-mile course, the first couple nice and easy with my buddy and the last one smoking fast by myself.  Last time I ran this loop I was quite a bit heavier than I am now.  My previous best time was 42:21, and today I ran 37:49.  Has me wondering if I should stick with my plan to fun run the 50K in three weeks or actually race it...

As we speak, contemplating racing an 8K in Madison next Saturday ahead of the myTEAM TRIUMPH gig on Sunday.  And seriously considering doing a 24-hour event on June 22.  It's a 3-mile loop on a hilly but not technical trail.  Course record is 82.08 miles, which seems super do-able.  Even if I'd sleep for 3 hours, that's less than 4mph.  Anyone have any experience doing something like this?  @SFBayDuck? @BassNBrew?
It’s trail season for you, my friend!  Embrace it and crush it. 

As for the 24-hour, I’ve never done a timed event. But as I said on your FB post, I think it’s a great way to tackle a >50M effort without the logistical challenges involved in typical ultra courses. And I think you could absolutely get that course record, as long as your feet and stomach hold up alright. 

Road or trail marathon?  If you’re talking about pushing a road marathon 2 weeks out, that seems risky. If it’s just about time on feet and cruising through a trail marathon, you’d probably be ok.  But it all depends on how quickly you typically recover from these things. 

It’s a great book, and Koop is one of the most respected coaches in the ultra world.  So I think you’d enjoy it and get a lot out of it. 

That being said, I don’t think you would “need” it in prepping for a 50K. You really just need to treat that like marathon training but with a little more focus on 1) time instead of miles and 2) specific terrain, elevation, and conditions (heat, altitude, etc). And of course nutrition and hydration becomes a little more important with the extra time you’ll be out there. 
As for the bolded, just ask @ChiefD for advice on racing nutrition, which gels to take, how often, how to carry them all and still race, etc.

The resources in this thread are endless.

82.08 is super soft.  I suspect everyone has died of boredom.  I'm looking at a similar event in June but won't be doing the 24 hours version, they have 12 and 6 options.  Even with those I'm super concerned about getting stick of the same 3 mile loop.  As Duck mentioned, the logistics become super easy.  That said, if you're going to run for 24 hours, just knock out a 100 miler somewhere.

Thanks.  As soon as I'm done my marathon I'm going to flip almost exclusively back to trails for training.  My upcoming 50K is actually somewhat tame by elevation standards I'm used to, but the time and distance aren't.  Thus, I will be following your advice and finding ways to be on the trail for extended periods, but not necessarily making elevation gain the top priority.

I can't even imagine spending 30+ hours on my feet at this point.  So even if the book is geared more to that, hopefully there are still tips that I can glean for my first taste of ultrarunning.  Just purchased it from Google Play.

Some great runs today, gents.  I just scroll down the Strava feed in awe some days. 

I had a great run today.  Long night at work last night, got home, and figured I'd get my run in sometime later in the day.  But, weather was pristine this morning and decided to meet the girls at gymnastics again.  Despite it being a hilly route (over 70 ft/mile of elevation), I figured it would work fine for my fartlek workout.  The 2nd mile is downhill and I just started going.  I saw my paces afterward and I have no idea how it felt so easy (other than being downhill).  But even better, the next mile is the worst of the uphills and I had some good little spurts there.  Finished my run, albeit a short run, feeling fantastic.  Had a lot left in the tank afterward which was a great feeling. 

10 mile run on tap for tomorrow and will get over 30 miles again after the scheduled step back week last week.  One week away from my duathlon relay and I should be in good shape to do well.  Forecast at this point for race will be low 60's at start but will be up to 70 by 11am so it will climb quickly plus some possible thunderstorms.  Luckily, that shouldn't matter too much for such a short race for me. 

hit me today that when my mind wanders, i start to land more on the mid-foot and even sometimes heel. so i focused on maintaining my normal forefoot stride the entire time (10 miles) and wound up with a blister the size of a baseball (not really) on my left big toe.

gotta toughen up my baby soft toe skin somehow, apparently.

Users who are viewing this thread