What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Ran a 10k - Official Thread (2 Viewers)

People drop out of high school and still expect to get paid $15/hour.  It's just the entitlement mentality that people have these days.  It's pathetic.
Either I'm misinterpreting your comment or you are off-base a bit here, I think. The article states that the cleanup crews were well ahead of schedule. If the timelines allow for a 7:30 pace, they should expect to be able to do that pace. It says that the crews were actually pushing the 6:30 pace at some point as well. Yeah, you have to have cutoffs and the like but the article reads as if the runners were on pace for what is allowed but that the crews were not following the defined schedule. 

That said, it also read as if most of the disparaging remarks were coming from "pub goers" along the course. You can't do much about that as a race organizer, IMO. People sitting at a pub for possibly 7 hours aren't likely the best folks for encouraging the slow groups along.

Either I'm misinterpreting your comment or you are off-base a bit here, I think. The article states that the cleanup crews were well ahead of schedule. If the timelines allow for a 7:30 pace, they should expect to be able to do that pace. It says that the crews were actually pushing the 6:30 pace at some point as well. Yeah, you have to have cutoffs and the like but the article reads as if the runners were on pace for what is allowed but that the crews were not following the defined schedule. 

That said, it also read as if most of the disparaging remarks were coming from "pub goers" along the course. You can't do much about that as a race organizer, IMO. People sitting at a pub for possibly 7 hours aren't likely the best folks for encouraging the slow groups along.
OK, I admittedly didn't read the article.  I assumed from Juxt's comments that the runners weren't able to keep up with the supported pace but still expected the same amenities as the people who were.

OK, I admittedly didn't read the article.  I assumed from Juxt's comments that the runners weren't able to keep up with the supported pace but still expected the same amenities as the people who were.
Short version is that everyone over the 7 hour mark are being granted free automatic entry for next year. The water crews packed up and quit ahead of the official pacers for the 7 and 7:30 groups and the cleaning crews harassed the people in those groups as well, including spraying them with street cleaners and such. 

Short version is that everyone over the 7 hour mark are being granted free automatic entry for next year. The water crews packed up and quit ahead of the official pacers for the 7 and 7:30 groups and the cleaning crews harassed the people in those groups as well, including spraying them with street cleaners and such. 
I agree that anyone faster than 7:00 (course closed pace) who was passed by the Course Closed vehicle was wronged.   I question why they have "official" pacers that are slower than the Course Closed time knowing that roads will open and cleaning crews will start. That seems like a bad idea. If those people in those videos (I didn't watch with sound) were slower than 7:00 pace, they should have moved to the sidewalk.  Here is more from the instructions for the race below.  I assume "pavement" is British for "sidewalk".

SLOW RUNNERS London is one of the world’s busiest cities and we are required to keep to the schedule for reopening the roads to traffic. Our event only has priority over the roads on the route for the time that it takes a seven-hour runner to reach the Finish. The Course Closed vehicle travels at a seven-hour pace and crosses the Start Line at 10:40 on Race Day, the same time as the final participants. The Course Closed vehicle is there for two reasons: 1. To alert participants that they no longer have priority on the road and must move to the pavement. 2. To advise our teams on the ground, and the many contractor vehicles and cleansing crews, that they can start work to derig the course and remove infrastructure such as mile markers, barriers, the blue line and so on. The guide below shows the latest time you must reach specific landmarks on the route to maintain a seven-hour pace (based on the latest possible start time of 10:40). If you fall behind this schedule, FINAL INSTRUCTIONS The Course (continued) you MUST move on to the pavement. Please note that if you are slower than seven-hour pace, you will complete the event on the pavement. This means you become a pedestrian; you will be sharing the pavement with others and you will need to cross the roads under normal traffic conditions, as roads start to reopen to traffic. We understand that everyone wants to continue and finish the event and we keep the Finish Line open until 18:40 (to allow eight-hour pace runners to finish). Please note that participants must cross the Finish Line by 18:40 to receive a medal and a finish time in the official results. The guide below indicates the latest time you must reach specific landmarks if you are likely to complete the Marathon in seven hours or more and reach the Finish Line in time to receive a medal and a finish time in the official results. We will keep the Drinks Stations and toilets open for as long as we can, but we cannot guarantee the availability of these after the times indicated below. We urge slower participants to plan ahead and make provision for their own drinks and other necessities.
http://london-marathon.s3.amazonaws.com/vmlm2014/live/uploads/cms_page_media/385/VMLM_Final_Instructions_2018.pdf

Yeah, that definitely makes things a little fuzzier. Also kind of a catch 22 they build for themselves to leave the finish open until 8 hours after but sweep up the course after 7 officially. And totally not in their best interest to put pacers out there for slower than 7. 

I worked as a volunteer for a couple years at the Indy Mini that I just ran. It has a hard cut off time for getting on and off the Indianapolis Motor Speedway. I had a golf cart for transporting anyone with injuries, etc during the race and then we became the "back marker" for the final participants on the track. That kind of sucked riding on a cart and trying to encourage people to stay in front or be forced to get in. 

The one year one of the people in the back was an older lady that was also a little on the large side. She was determined not to get in the cart and her making it off the track on her own was one of the more inspiring things you'd see, IMO. No idea if she made it the 5 miles after leaving the track or not but I hope so. 

The one year one of the people in the back was an older lady that was also a little on the large side. She was determined not to get in the cart and her making it off the track on her own was one of the more inspiring things you'd see, IMO. No idea if she made it the 5 miles after leaving the track or not but I hope so. 
I saw a couple larger ladies running the full marathon in Calgary and I had significant respect for them.  I think it's grueling for me, and I weigh at least a third less than them.  Imagine the effort required to get through 26.2 with the weight and added heat like they were.  Makes my effort look trivial by comparison.

• Love
Reactions: JAA
Case in point - I usually walk a half mile, stop to do some dynamic warmups/stretches, then start running. But this morning I walked the dog for an hour then went out for my run. So I just did the dynamic stretches, walked for 2-3 minutes, then started going. I had already done plenty of “warm up.”
are you still in Novato? My knees are shot and I primarily just hike now that I've returned to Novato but I'm still up for a beer to help ruin your training.

BassNBrew said:
nicely done JAA.  Bike speed is so course dependent that it's not worth looking at.  Would be interested in your placement relatively to your peers i9n the run/bike.
This is a competitive event. In my 40-44 age group I finished 9 outta 19. To put that in perspective 1st in my age group was:

swim pace:  1:31/100yd

bike speed:  21.4 mph

run pace:  6:22/mi

I will never be close to those numbers.  Well, I have done half the distance at like a 1:33 so that would be possible but hard. The bike is reachable if I ever get a tri bike and off my road bike geometry.  Dropping 1+min/mi on my 10k would be cray cray. 

This is a competitive event. In my 40-44 age group I finished 9 outta 19. To put that in perspective 1st in my age group was:

I will never be close to those numbers.  Well, I have done half the distance at like a 1:33 so that would be possible but hard. The bike is reachable if I ever get a tri bike and off my road bike geometry.  Dropping 1+min/mi on my 10k would be cray cray. 
Gotta push back here, GB (gravy boat). That drop isn’t ‘cray cray’, maybe just cray. And we can do cray round these parts. 

I can't compare 10k now vs. 10k then because I didn't do 10k's then but I was a 35-36 minute 5 mile runner in my 20's, a 33-34 minute 5 mile runner in my early 30's, and just now broke 30. Tri training is different - I don't know how much because I have no experience with it, but I get that it is. It's just real difficult to become a faster runner when you run 3x per week, average less than 15 miles, and rarely run more than 6. You can be a faster runner, but you need to run more. Is it a substitute for swim/bike? in addition to? :shrug:  There's opportunity there though.

Gotta push back here, GB (gravy boat). That drop isn’t ‘cray cray’, maybe just cray. And we can do cray round these parts. 
1 min/mile on a 10k at the end of a tri is substantial... heck, running a 6:22/mi 10k by itself is cray and pushing cray cray, imo! 

• Love
Reactions: JAA
that said... I still keep staring at pace charts trying to set in my mind on where I am placing my a/b/c/d goals for the Monumental... Wanting to set something to challenge myself but not set my sights too high and screw it up... I figure I can't really set the goal until I go run 18 or 20 miles once and verify it won't kill me or anything but it doesn't stop me from obsessing over it continuously!

So gross for my run this morning.  70° with 95% humidity when I headed out a little before 6:30.  Wanted 7 miles for the day and briefly considered just doing 4-5 this morning and another couple of miles tonight, but decided to just suck it up and get it over with.  A quick dip in the pool afterwards helped take the edge off a bit.

that said... I still keep staring at pace charts trying to set in my mind on where I am placing my a/b/c/d goals for the Monumental... Wanting to set something to challenge myself but not set my sights too high and screw it up... I figure I can't really set the goal until I go run 18 or 20 miles once and verify it won't kill me or anything but it doesn't stop me from obsessing over it continuously!
To be completely honest, I'd recommend not setting ANY time goal for your first marathon.  Just focus on finishing.  You really can't understand/appreciate the pain of that last 10K until you do it.  Just get out there, get your ### across the finish line, and then worry about time goals for the next one. :)

Last edited by a moderator:
So gross for my run this morning.  70° with 95% humidity when I headed out a little before 6:30.  Wanted 7 miles for the day and briefly considered just doing 4-5 this morning and another couple of miles tonight, but decided to just suck it up and get it over with.  A quick dip in the pool afterwards helped take the edge off a bit.
I'd take 70 with 95% humidity right now and every following day until sometime in September.

To be completely honest, I'd recommend not setting ANY time goal for your first marathon.  Just focus on finishing.  You really can't understand/appreciate the pain of that last 10K until you do it.  Just get out there, get your ### across the finish line, and then worry about time goals for the next one. :)
That makes sense and kind of how I went into the 1/2 for the monumental last year when it was the first time I had done that... but it's going to be hard for me to completely do that. 

I'm not sure if I've voiced this "out loud" here or not but I'm a math geek at heart. Both driving and running, I'm doing 1 of 2 things - either totally spaced out in another world thinking about who knows what or constantly calculating and recalculating my current pace/overall pace/ ETA/ over-under vs goal time/what I have to average from here to the finish to do ____/ whatever other calculation I can invent in the moment.

When on a long car ride or running a race, it's almost guaranteed that I'm doing the calculating thing... I'm also kind of wired that I need some kind of goal to work toward. Just finishing is one goal but to both keep me going and to keep me from overdoing it, I have to have some kind of realistic goal in mind to work toward. 

There will be a goal time(s) in my mind when I'm doing it... whether I consciously set one or not. So, consciously setting one is probably the way to go. I know I really want to finish it in under 4 hours, which I feel confident I am capable of doing with proper training. Maybe that is as high as I set the goal? But there's some part of me that doesn't want to "settle" for too little. I am fully aware that sounds kind of stupid as just finishing 26.2 will be an accomplishment but... 

More of a look into my brain than you bargained for today, IMO...

But there's some part of me that doesn't want to "settle" for too little. I am fully aware that sounds kind of stupid as just finishing 26.2 will be an accomplishment but... 
Isn't stupid at all. Competition is at least part of the draw for all of us - with both others and ourselves. Especially when you aren't sold on doing another one - although you probably will. You aren't going to identify a good target time right now though. I think that's normal. You shouldn't. A target time develops as a result of training. I wouldn't stress too much about a particular time right now. Pick one that seems attainable, train accordingly, then re-assess in a few weeks. You'll question whatever one you pick 37 times between now and then no matter which one you pick. Devote that energy to the training rather than the mental math gymnastics.

That makes sense and kind of how I went into the 1/2 for the monumental last year when it was the first time I had done that... but it's going to be hard for me to completely do that. 

I'm not sure if I've voiced this "out loud" here or not but I'm a math geek at heart. Both driving and running, I'm doing 1 of 2 things - either totally spaced out in another world thinking about who knows what or constantly calculating and recalculating my current pace/overall pace/ ETA/ over-under vs goal time/what I have to average from here to the finish to do ____/ whatever other calculation I can invent in the moment.

When on a long car ride or running a race, it's almost guaranteed that I'm doing the calculating thing... I'm also kind of wired that I need some kind of goal to work toward. Just finishing is one goal but to both keep me going and to keep me from overdoing it, I have to have some kind of realistic goal in mind to work toward. 

There will be a goal time(s) in my mind when I'm doing it... whether I consciously set one or not. So, consciously setting one is probably the way to go. I know I really want to finish it in under 4 hours, which I feel confident I am capable of doing with proper training. Maybe that is as high as I set the goal? But there's some part of me that doesn't want to "settle" for too little. I am fully aware that sounds kind of stupid as just finishing 26.2 will be an accomplishment but... 

I ran my first one in 3:45:41.  There's a goal for ya.   :P

It's like I stole @gruecd's login credentials just for the above post.  

@The Iguana, you're a more skilled/talented runner than me so my experience probably doesn't translate to you.  But if any of the above will be even partially true for you,  train with a big buffer (leave yourself lots of time for that last 10K) you should be OK to go <4hrs.  Prior to my Houston marathon, I ran a 2:47 30K and prior to Calgary I ran a 2:46 30K.  So in essence I was leaving myself almost 1.25 hours for the last 10K+ and I needed it (and more) in both cases.

But make the primary goal to finish.

My two cents.  

I'd take 70 with 95% humidity right now and every following day until sometime in September.
This morning at 0400 it was 13C (55F) with a dew point of 12C (53F) and 93% humidity for me.  And I looked like a drowned rat when I finished my run.

Don't know how you guys go out in 70+.  Props.

And then @JShare87 is on a whole different planet.  If I ran where he did, you'd be able to follow me by the trail of moisture on the ground.

Why, is it lots worse by you?
That's about what it's like at 6-7 am. I choose to run later in the day because here the humidity usually drops later in the day. I'd rather get the extra sleep and train at a more optimal time from a biomechanical perspective then deal with 83/67 than get up and not run as well in 73/71.

This morning at 0400 it was 13C (55F) with a dew point of 12C (53F) and 93% humidity for me.  And I looked like a drowned rat when I finished my run.

Last night it was 8 pm when I went out and it was still 87F but the humidity was only 47% so it actually felt pretty good out there. 

And then @JShare87 is on a whole different planet.  If I ran where he did, you'd be able to follow me by the trail of moisture on the ground.
Heat adaption is a real thing. Not sure there's anything you can do to fully adapt to Florida and don't ever really want to find out though.

To me, this one would be pretty easy. If your goal is sub 4:00, then make your A goal 3:59.

Your B goal could be 4:10, and your C goal is to finish the race.

Look man, you have running talent. I personally believe you should be able to beat 4:00 and will. You may even do better than that. But the marathon is a different beast. No amount of preparation can really get you ready for what happens at mile 20. 

I went into marathon one wanting to hit sub 4:00. It didn't take me until marathon 3 to really learn what I did wrong. And I've already documented that here for you and everyone else got to witness it first hand.

None of us can really tell you what to do here. You train and you figure it out. 

To me, this one would be pretty easy. If your goal is sub 4:00, then make your A goal 3:59.

Look man, you have running talent. I personally believe you should be able to beat 4:00 and will. You may even do better than that. But the marathon is a different beast. No amount of preparation can really get you ready for what happens at mile 20. 

I went into marathon one wanting to hit sub 4:00. It didn't take me until marathon 3 to really learn what I did wrong. And I've already documented that here for you and everyone else got to witness it first hand.

None of us can really tell you what to do here. You train and you figure it out. 
This was what I was saying recently when this first came up.

I agree with this, if @The Iguana puts in the training he has the talent to run sub 4 based on his half.

I actually do need to go find your early race reports... I read z's live as his first one was about the time I showed up here... Got to briefly witness your victory here in indy... need to find/read your earlier reports but haven't tried to hunt them down in the 600+ pages yet...

Everyone deals with the heat no matter where you are. I think the main difference here in Florida is that there’s no escape from it. The best you’re going to get is at 5:30-6:30 am and it is 75 degrees or higher and 90 humidity or higher. Running anytime after that isn’t very doable or smart. It finally breaks from December to around April. It’s the only thing I know, so I try not to complain about it. But it has a negative impact on me just like every other runner. It was hot as hell at the relay and it destroyed me. 

Everyone deals with the heat no matter where you are. I think the main difference here in Florida is that there’s no escape from it. The best you’re going to get is at 5:30-6:30 am and it is 75 degrees or higher and 90 humidity or higher. Running anytime after that isn’t very doable or smart. It finally breaks from December to around April. It’s the only thing I know, so I try not to complain about it. But it has a negative impact on me just like every other runner. It was hot as hell at the relay and it destroyed me. 
I'd still have to think you're at least somewhat acclimated to it, just like I should be able to handle running in 20°F better than you could, right?

I'd still have to think you're at least somewhat acclimated to it, just like I should be able to handle running in 20°F better than you could, right?
20 degrees under sunny skies with no wind? or 20 degrees with clouds and 20-30+ mph wind? The latter is probably a more apt comparison to July in Florida. Like @The Iguana just experienced, 87 and dry air isn't all that bad. In dry air the body is able to stay cooler much like how the body is able to warm itself on a nice 20 degree day.  In humid air the body quite simply cannot do it much like the body not being able to warm itself on winter's worst days.  I'd expect someone from Florida to handle hot better than someone from Wisconsin and I'd expect someone from Wisconsin to handle cold better than someone from Florida, but none of those examples are optimal. Some are just less bad than others.  But if you train in them anyway then you'll be better prepared when the conditions are right. And if the conditions aren't right then you'll be better prepared than your competitors who choose to train in more controlled environments.

I actually do need to go find your early race reports... I read z's live as his first one was about the time I showed up here... Got to briefly witness your victory here in indy... need to find/read your earlier reports but haven't tried to hunt them down in the 600+ pages yet...
Not sure how much that will help you, but the training leading up to those races might. Based on what you are posting you look to be on almost the exact same path I took to my first two marathons. 

I can look back at my records and see what my training volume was leading up to those races, and even the 6 months leading up to those races. Gimme some time and I put that together if you are interested.

Well you would 100% be able to handle 20 degrees better than me because I wouldn’t even attempt it. I would imagine I am somewhat acclimated to it more than others. Maybe I am more acclimated to the humidity than the heat. As long as I get out before the sun, I am fine. Although I am absolutely drenched a mile into the run. If I sleep in and try an afternoon run, anything over 5 miles is almost impossible, no matter what pace I’m running at. I just think people have a perception that Floridians enjoy the heat. I hate the heat and humidity just as much as everyone does. I hate it so much, I wake up at 4:30 most mornings just to somewhat avoid it. I sure hope heat training is a thing because I’m ready to enjoy the benefits of it. If anyone is crazy it’s @gianmarco. That guy consistently runs in 90 degree heat. GTFOH

Well you would 100% be able to handle 20 degrees better than me because I wouldn’t even attempt it. I would imagine I am somewhat acclimated to it more than others. Maybe I am more acclimated to the humidity than the heat. As long as I get out before the sun, I am fine. Although I am absolutely drenched a mile into the run. If I sleep in and try an afternoon run, anything over 5 miles is almost impossible, no matter what pace I’m running at. I just think people have a perception that Floridians enjoy the heat. I hate the heat and humidity just as much as everyone does. I hate it so much, I wake up at 4:30 most mornings just to somewhat avoid it. I sure hope heat training is a thing because I’m ready to enjoy the benefits of it. If anyone is crazy it’s @gianmarco. That guy consistently runs in 90 degree heat. GTFOH
Heh...I saw the "feels like 101" on my run yesterday and thought that just look nuts. But it really wasn't that bad without the sun. 

I'm at the pool now and my wife is out for a run. It's the hottest day yet and it's 93/78/171. She's nuts. 

ETA -- Right now

@ChiefD - to add another option to your HM possibilities, I'll be signing up to run this: https://indyhalfmarathon.com/. It's October 5th here in Indy. 

Actually got an email today that I get a special bonus shirt if I finish both that and the full Monumental. Who can pass up an extra special free bonus shirt? 

Any of you guys wear Altra running shoes?
I did for a few years, primarily the Olympus and Lone Peak, and then the Timp when they came out.  I had been a Hoka guy for years, but each year and model they kept getting more narrow and eventually I couldn't find a pair that fit me well, so I made the switch.  

I liked them, and didn't have too much of a problem adjusting to the zero drop.  I even ran 100Ks and 100Ms in them.  But when Hoka finally came out with a wider shoe again (Torrent) I started working that in to the mix.  At the same time I had retired all but one pair of Timps, but I soon found that when I wore them my achilles was sore.  It wasn't something I wanted to mess with as I ramped up into Miwok and then San Diego, so I haven't worn them in a few months now.

Hokas are only 4mm drop so I'm not sure if it was really that difference or it was just coincidental, but I still haven't been back to Altras.  I'd like to start mixing them back in again as I think if you can run in zero drop shoes without calf/achilles issues, that can only be a good thing.

No amount of clamshells had me ready for this morning. I’ve had most PT modalities including cups, needles, electro needles to the groin.  Have been feeling good and almost cancelled but I always at least get my hips/sacrum assessed/adjusted since running and desk life crest some recurring funkiness so went anyway. She checks my hamstrings and hones in on a hot spot just above my left knee on the inside of my hamstring. Things get heavy when she starts with the scraping thing and then cups it then more scraping. I was seeing spots and lightheaded and that was my restday today.  

Users who are viewing this thread