What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Ran a 10k - Official Thread (1 Viewer)

Yeah, to me, it’s another example of how simple it can be.  One doesn’t need to worry about how they might be “doing it wrong”.  That they aren’t doing enough hills, or 400s, or they’re not super focused on heart rate, or they’re not following an expert’s schedule.

Just put in the time on a consistent basis and you’ll get better.
There's a lot to be said for "just run, dammit!" but I think it's natural to want to try to do it "right" if/when you start trying to take some of this stuff seriously. Also there is a "get the most bang for your buck" desire, especially when just starting out and/or have limited time to dedicate. I also depends on what your goals are and where your fitness level is. I think I've realized that I'm at a point that it really is more about "more miles" than "right miles" - there's probably not a bad mile I can put in as long as it doesn't end in me being injured.

But I also think that having some kind of plan is a good thing - if for nothing else than accountability. For a while now I've just been in "just run" mode - that led to some pretty sporadic efforts/running. Since Christmas day, I've tried to be more dedicated/focused. I haven't really set down a plan but I have set a goal of trying to run at least 4 days a week, preferably 5. I "need" or at least want to sit down and come up with more of a plan soon. There's a number of events I have on the horizon and want to give myself the best opportunity to maximize my results in each of them. 

Looks like some options east of the turnpike 
Problem is not all the roads have sidewalks.  Best option seems to go to Towne Lake Park but it's not that far and it's not that big of a park. 

Going south to Mike Lewis Park looks like the best, but it's 4 miles each way.  Just depends on the time he has.

If you're anywhere close to the Katy Trail (which is close to the American Airlines Center), it's a really nice run, and the "scenery" is amazing...
The other great place to run if you can get over there is the loop around White Rock Lake.

There's a lot to be said for "just run, dammit!" but I think it's natural to want to try to do it "right" if/when you start trying to take some of this stuff seriously. Also there is a "get the most bang for your buck" desire, especially when just starting out and/or have limited time to dedicate. I also depends on what your goals are and where your fitness level is. I think I've realized that I'm at a point that it really is more about "more miles" than "right miles" - there's probably not a bad mile I can put in as long as it doesn't end in me being injured.

But I also think that having some kind of plan is a good thing - if for nothing else than accountability. For a while now I've just been in "just run" mode - that led to some pretty sporadic efforts/running. Since Christmas day, I've tried to be more dedicated/focused. I haven't really set down a plan but I have set a goal of trying to run at least 4 days a week, preferably 5. I "need" or at least want to sit down and come up with more of a plan soon. There's a number of events I have on the horizon and want to give myself the best opportunity to maximize my results in each of them. 
There's a key word juxt was sure to include - 'time.' Whatever you're doing, just be sure that box is being checked. Your just run mode simply didn't include time - 15 miles per week post marathon. I think I've said it before, but given your months prior long game that's probably a good thing. The mental and physical reset post Monumental will serve you well. Just next time you enter a just run phase be sure to actually include running 😉

There's a key word juxt was sure to include - 'time.' Whatever you're doing, just be sure that box is being checked. Your just run mode simply didn't include time - 15 miles per week post marathon. I think I've said it before, but given your months prior long game that's probably a good thing. The mental and physical reset post Monumental will serve you well. Just next time you enter a just run phase be sure to actually include running 😉
I definitely have a motivation problem at times - that's why having some kind of event scheduled is a good thing for me. Without something coming up, it's easy for 1 day off to become 3 and suddenly running is sporadic rather than the norm. 

I did the same thing last May and June - ran Carmel, then the Indy Mini and a 5k... then was very, very sporadic the rest of May and through June before starting to ramp up for the Monumental. 

I did the same thing last May and June - ran Carmel, then the Indy Mini and a 5k... then was very, very sporadic the rest of May and through June before starting to ramp up for the Monumental. 
I noticed too. So you've identified the weakness. Now, time to resolve it. There may not be a more important phase in any training plan than the build up prior to starting it. 

Who's to say what is "right"?  Would someone have gotten the best bang for the buck running 20 seconds per mile faster? 20 seconds slower?  Would someone be better getting an extra workout in instead of focusing on base?  It's practically unknowable.   Obviously there are some wrong things to do (running as fast as you can every time, for example) but in the good, there is a lot of gray.

I noticed too. So you've identified the weakness. Now, time to resolve it. There may not be a more important phase in any training plan than the build up prior to starting it. 
Yeah. Resolving it is just finding ways to motivate me. One way is having something scheduled that I have to get ready for. I should be covered from now until the end of May/beginning of June - I've got the trail race, a HM, a couple/few 5ks and the relay event to keep me moving/motivated. I also have created some spreadsheets of stuff I'm tracking with some goals I want to achieve - really the data is all on strava and I don't "need" a separate sheet, but having the separate sheet makes me accountable, IMO, plus I can then pull the info off and post a "look at me!" every now and then if I want - i.e. you can expect monthly updates from me! 

Who's to say what is "right"?  Would someone have gotten the best bang for the buck running 20 seconds per mile faster? 20 seconds slower?  Would someone be better getting an extra workout in instead of focusing on base?  It's practically unknowable.   Obviously there are some wrong things to do (running as fast as you can every time, for example) but in the good, there is a lot of gray.
I completely agree. And from spending far too much time googling and reading, you get a different answer on those questions and many others depending on who you ask. But that's also why @gianmarco and I (among others) come in here asking all kinds of questions all the time. There's a lot of good feedback that comes in from those with more experience - sometimes the best feedback is "just shut up and run already!"  I have a whole slew of questions brewing in my head as I start to think about the races I have coming up and trying to figure out how to get "the most" out of myself in them.

But that's why I keep coming here and reading thoughts from people, seeing what others are thinking and worrying about; why I keep googling various articles on thought processes and plans. Realistically I am nowhere near "peak form" so anything I do is going to help me get better, IMO. But I'm sure there are some things that will help more than others. 

Problem is not all the roads have sidewalks.  Best option seems to go to Towne Lake Park but it's not that far and it's not that big of a park. 

Going south to Mike Lewis Park looks like the best, but it's 4 miles each way.  Just depends on the time he has.
We just contracted on a house yesterday, and part of the decision to go there was some decent running options (I've been running thus far around the hotel I was staying at).  The community is fairly quiet, so running on the street (when necessary) shouldn't be as dicey as on other, busier thoroughfares.  

If you search "Viridian Park Lane, Euless TX" in the Strava heat map, you'll get the community I'm in.  If you zoom out a couple clicks, you'll see  a great running path along the river/lake in the south part of the community.  It's the brightest line in the area.  It's part of the West Fork Trinity River greenspace.

Downside is that I don't think the path is lit, so I'll be running with a headlamp if moonlight isn't enough.

We just contracted on a house yesterday, and part of the decision to go there was some decent running options (I've been running thus far around the hotel I was staying at).  The community is fairly quiet, so running on the street (when necessary) shouldn't be as dicey as on other, busier thoroughfares.  

If you search "Viridian Park Lane, Euless TX" in the Strava heat map, you'll get the community I'm in.  If you zoom out a couple clicks, you'll see  a great running path along the river/lake in the south part of the community.  It's the brightest line in the area.  It's part of the West Fork Trinity River greenspace.

Downside is that I don't think the path is lit, so I'll be running with a headlamp if moonlight isn't enough.
You had us all thinking, “why in the world did he pick a place without considering running options?”

You had us all thinking, “why in the world did he pick a place without considering running options?”
Yeah should have mentioned I was running in a more commercial area (some residential) while in temporary living arrangements.  I was just surprised to see such bright lines in the area on the heat map, but then no sidewalks.  In Calgary, no sidewalk (which is rare) pretty much means nobody runs there.

Yeah should have mentioned I was running in a more commercial area (some residential) while in temporary living arrangements.  I was just surprised to see such bright lines in the area on the heat map, but then no sidewalks.  In Calgary, no sidewalk (which is rare) pretty much means nobody runs there.
Same in Cleveland, especially this time of year. I did some bonus miles this morning because my last planned mile was apparently not cleared by the bobcat this morning. So, turn around and go back the way I came. One stretch of shin deep snow was kinda fun, but I was too tired by then and was already arguing with some angry hips to do it again. 

Well it's been a ####ty four weeks since Christmas Day.  Felt crappy that day and came down with something mirroring flu or bronchitis that I've battled for three straight weeks, which finally subsided over the past week.  But along a parallel path (even a bit longer), I've had stomach pains causing me fits.  Had some serious concerns that there was potential lingering damage to kidney or liver from the rhabdo incident in September, but full lab workup came back spotless.  Ultrasound results only pointed at one borderline abnormality (enlarged bile duct), so now it's "wait and see" and if symptoms don't subside off to see a gastroenterologist.  Needless to say, WSER training has been off to a terrible start.

Oh, and I didn't get picked in the Superior 100 lottery today.  Super duper incredibly bummed.   :cry: :kicksrock:  

And I know, I know.  There are far worse things in the world than a wicked cold, constant stomach pains, a lack of running, and not getting into the one race I want to get into.  But just had to vent.  Apologies.

/whining

Anyone looking for a(nother) viz app to work with Strava or Garmin connect data, try ConnectStats in App Store.  Pulled lifetime strava activities in seconds and spit out a bunch of stuff I haven’t figured out yet.  

Anyone looking for a(nother) viz app to work with Strava or Garmin connect data, try ConnectStats in App Store.  Pulled lifetime strava activities in seconds and spit out a bunch of stuff I haven’t figured out yet.  
Can you expound on the above?

I've officially entered bonus time - mother nature's violent blows over the last 3 days made getting to the end challenging, but it's now a new record of 42 days in a row. Everything's been 5+ miles too. Fatigue's there, but it's been there for a couple weeks and if anything I think I have more energy now than most others times the last 2 weeks. I am a little sore, but I think that's more from all the weekend shoveling (chef>hi) than general fatigue and snow running all weekend. We'll see how everything feels tomorrow though.

Because I am 2-a-day'ing today and am going to the mill for the first time today, but it's because I'm overdue for speed work and (**looks outside**) that isn't happening out there. It looks like this week's variable is the same as last week - will whatever is falling from the sky Saturday be ice or something else? As long as it isn't the former I expect the streak to at least go into next week, but if conditions aren't conducive to long run this weekend I may need to consider getting creative with my work schedule next week. 2 weeks between runs of > 12 miles at this stage is fine, but I'd like to avoid going much longer than that.

Overall, currently sitting on 153 miles in January (255 over the last month/7 weeks in a row of 50+) and barring something unforeseen even in the worst case should still eclipse my goal of 210 this month. 

I downloaded it and was just looking through stats.  Did you find anything useful?  I don't think I have.  

Total #### run this morning.  HR was high (although not as high as Garmin reported) and it was icy out from the melt/freeze that's been happening the last few days.  It's amazing how hard it is to get into a rhythm when every few meters you're having to worry about falling on your ###.

Anyways, checked the box, and hopefully I have time to do something on the trails tomorrow.  

And that was the 100th time I've run that O&B.  Sucks that it was so ####ty for that milestone.

Anyways, back to regularly scheduled programming.

Hey guys.  I just approved a new athlete into our Strava group.  The initials are KA.

Please confirm its you.  If no one owns that its them, I'll boot him in a few days.  We are exclusive like that.

Total #### run this morning.  HR was high (although not as high as Garmin reported) and it was icy out from the melt/freeze that's been happening the last few days.  It's amazing how hard it is to get into a rhythm when every few meters you're having to worry about falling on your ###.

Anyways, checked the box, and hopefully I have time to do something on the trails tomorrow.  

And that was the 100th time I've run that O&B.  Sucks that it was so ####ty for that milestone.

Anyways, back to regularly scheduled programming.
You will benefit from ice running. Just don't pay any attention to the metrics. Put in the work then when you can't take it anymore go 10 minutes more.

Users who are viewing this thread