What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Ran a 10k - Official Thread (8 Viewers)

I hurt my back, I think it was from doing pullups.  I started noticing it about a week ago but after my run Tuesday morning I was really hurting but I'm seeing noticeable improvement today.  I guess this will be my forced offseason, hoping to start back up seriously 11/30.  Not sure if I will start a 5K or half marathon training.  Thanks for asking, I'll be back just taking a break.      
So your injury is about a weak back? 

My run today was just a collection of stupid and ended up a complete mess.  Not even sure why I'm detailing it here, but here it is anyway

The plan was a 5 mile run at GMP (which I'm using 9:00 for February) with a mile WU/CD.  I figured I would try the run/walk thing.  First mile WU goes, and then I started my first pace mile.  I calculated that I'd run 4 minutes at 8:30 pace, walk for 30 seconds, and then repeat.  First 4 minutes were perfect, walked the next 30 seconds, and my watch shows exactly 9:00 pace for the lap.  Perfect.

Then my phone rings and it's the Dr's office for one of our kids.  I initially was just going to ignore it, but then thought better and answered.  It was a quick call and happened to be right around the walk time, but still, ended up adding time.  Start back up and then I realized that my lap time is now all screwed up because it won't show me the right pacing for 8:30.  In hindsight, I should have just hit the lap button at the half mile, but instead I started doing the mental calculation that I needed to end up at 8:45 pacing after the next 4 minutes and then walk the final 30 seconds.  And 8:30 isn't a pace I'm familiar running at (especially now), so it ended up just being a big old guess.  I only came in about 20 seconds fast on my pacing at 8:41 for that mile.  Plus, it really started feeling like my workout that I'm going to do next week (8x600s).  So, I figured I would abandon that plan and just try and run straight for the next 4 miles.

Now I'm running that 2nd pace mile and I'm just going faster than I should because of that previous mile and it's a bit downhill.  So I figure screw it, I'll just hold this and do another walk toward the end when I need it.  Got to a little uphill about 2/3rds of the way, walked, and then ended up getting it pretty close at 8:58.  Now I'm near home and I'm going to finish the rest on the mile loop near my house. 

As I get started in that loop, I see a Fed Ex truck.  Two days ago, we had a package delivered and the FedEx delivery guy dropped his ID on our doorstep.  I have his name on the ID  but there's no number to call.  I tried looking him up on Facebook, tried calling FedEx, no luck.  So I see the delivery guy and...it's not him.  But I stop and ask him about the situation.  He knows the guy.  So I told him I'll run home, grab the ID, and he can get it to him.  Since he's waiting for me, I now start running faster than my 9:00 to get the ID and bring it to him. 

I get started again and slowed down to try and finish this mile at 9:00 and got it right.  But at this point, my pacing is really just all over the place and my legs are starting to feel tired both from this as well as my workout a couple days ago.  I start the next mile and finally decide to just call it after half mile and then just take it easy.

And then the bear attack hit me REALLY fast and pretty hard, which never happens.  Luckily I'm close to home, but that was a miserable 0.3 miles.

In the end, any kind of pacing or workout was unsuccessful.  That was the most discombobulated run I think I've ever had.  The only good thing to take from it was that I felt somewhat comfortable running that faster pace, which is a step forward from where I've been the last 3 weeks. 

Last edited by a moderator:
In the end, any kind of pacing or workout was unsuccessful.  That was the most discombobulated run I think I've ever had.  The only good thing to take from it was that I felt somewhat comfortable running that faster pace, which is a step forward from where I've been the last 3 weeks.
You got out and ran almost 8K at varying paces, some with a bit of oomph.  It might have felt cluttered, but your body did the work regardless, and you will benefit.

From WaPo re JFK 50 & covid...

The number of new coronavirus cases reported daily in Maryland’s Washington County is five times higher than it was at the start of the month, and the test positivity rate there now tops 8 percent, prompting county health officials to issue a public warning that there is “significant community spread due to gatherings of all sizes.”

It is against that backdrop that 1,200 runners will arrive this weekend to compete in the JFK 50 Mile, the nation’s oldest ultramarathon taking place amid 2020’s biggest headache.

Race organizers have revamped protocols and instituted a variety of measures aimed at making the event safe. But public health officials warn that staging a race now poses unnecessary risks for both competitors and residents.

“I know it is hard to cancel an event that takes so much time and effort to prepare, but this doesn’t seem to be the best time to hold such an event,” said Maria Valeria Fabre, an assistant professor at Johns Hopkins who specializes in infectious diseases. “We know a lot more now than we knew in March about how covid-19 is transmitted, and we know that people gathering in this way is a major factor in transmission.”

The event website says organizers “have every intention” of holding the race Saturday. Mike Spinnler, the race’s longtime director, did not return several messages seeking comment this week, nor did Earl Stoner, the county health officer. In an email, a Washington County spokesperson deferred questions to the event organizers.

First run in 1963, the JFK 50 Mile is a bucket-list race for many endurance athletes and is among the few top-tier U.S. racing events that hasn’t been postponed or canceled by the pandemic. The race takes runners from Boonsboro to Williamsport, a horseshoe route winding along the West Virginia border and covering terrain from the Appalachian Trail to the C&O Canal towpath.

It cuts through the heart of a region that has produced some of Maryland’s highest case rates. While the entire state has been experiencing a surge in recent weeks, nowhere is the spike more precipitous than Western Maryland. Though Washington County’s numbers aren’t as bad as nearby Allegany and Garrett counties, it’s still seeing more per capita infections and hospitalizations than ever.

“I think certain people out there had a false sense of security that, ‘Oh, that’s, you know, it’s very concerning. But I don’t have to worry about that because I live out here in this rural neighborhood,’” Gov. Larry Hogan (R) said at a Tuesday news conference.

Hogan heightened restrictions across Maryland this week, barring spectators from racetracks or football games. The state had previously given a green light to organizers of the JFK 50 Mile race, though that approval came before the recent rise in cases. Michael Ricci, a Hogan spokesman, said the event’s current plan doesn’t contradict the governor’s latest orders.

State police and the National Park Service have been in touch this week with race officials, reminding them about the state-wide restrictions and Maryland’s travel advisory. Race organizers sent an email late Wednesday night to registered runners, informing them of new travel restrictions. Organizers now say that any out-of-state runners traveling to Washington County will need to take a covid-19 test “promptly upon arrival in Maryland or within 72 hours before travel to Maryland.”

A powerful argument for wearing a mask, in visual form

The 1,200 runners will be sent off in waves of 250, which is the state’s current limit on outdoor gatherings, and masks will be given to every participant. But that 250 figure does not appear to account for race officials, volunteers or spectators. And public health experts say that even if organizers take every precaution, there are no ways around some of the inherent risks.

For starters, the race draws runners from all over, inviting them into small Western Maryland towns, many staying in hotels, shopping in local stores and eating in restaurants, before sending them back to their home communities. A review of more than 950 finishers from last year’s JFK 50 Mile race, for example, found competitors hailed from 39 states plus the District, Puerto Rico and at least four other countries.

“It’s exactly what we’re recommending against: people traveling, coming together in groups, dispersing back to their communities,” said Shmuel Shoham, an associate professor of medicine at Johns Hopkins who specializes in infectious diseases. “Even in waves, if you’re going to have 250 people coming from all over the place, there’s a very high chance at least one would be an asymptomatic carrier.”

Shoham is a runner himself and a past finisher in the JFK 50 Mile race. He is sitting out this year’s event. “If we didn’t have as much community transmission, things were quiet, back where we were in the summer, I would feel a lot better,” he said. “But not the way conditions are right now.”

The number of covid-related hospitalizations in Washington County has never been higher and is more than double what it was during the initial spring wave. In issuing its public health alert last week, Washington County officials urged “canceling or postponing gatherings that are not essential” and said “our big problem with covid-19 is once it starts picking up steam, it’s really hard to stop it. Washington County is at a dangerous point in this pandemic.” Neither Jeffrey Cline, the county commission president, nor Kirk Downey, the county administrator, returned messages this week seeking comment.

“We are at a critical point, and now is not the time to reduce our vigilance, or reduce protective measures put in place,” Stoner, the county’s health officer, said in a news release.

Organizers made several changes to the event and last month unveiled a 19-point safety plan. There will be no awards ceremony this year, no access to the schools where the race starts and finishes and no shuttle service to and from parking lots. And organizers “will not tolerate activities that are dangerous,” which includes “spitting or droplet generating activities, such as coughing or sneezing without properly covering mouth and nose.”

The 250-person waves will not be allowed to overlap in Boonsboro at the same time, and even at the starting line, runners will be required to remain six feet apart. Runners will be expected to cover their faces at the start of the race and whenever they’re grouped with other runners on the course.

The event did not initially require testing or any quarantining, and it still permits spectators at the start and finish lines.

Even if these protocols are adhered to, Fabre said, they may not work. She said masks that get wet, either from water or sweat, are less effective than dry face coverings. And she said air particles emitted during a strenuous activity can travel farther.

“Even if you try to remind people what not to do, maintaining those six feet of distance or wearing your mask, it is hard for people to be entirely compliant, especially when they’re doing exercise,” she said.

Even if runners are experiencing mild symptoms, Shoham said, ultramarathoners tend to run through pain or illness and “could be in denial about what’s going on.” After running for upward of eight or nine hours, their judgment could be compromised, and many could become lax in their precautions on the course. And, he pointed out, trail races tend to be social events, with runners often grouped together. Even on the course, where the trail narrows, the line of racers backs up behind a slower runner and bunches together at choke-points.

The event’s website this week says only 14 of the 1,200 spots in the race field are still available. It makes no mention of possible refunds and says registration fees would be deferred to a future race in the event of cancellation.

Kyle Herrig signed up for the event in the summer when coronavirus numbers in the region were much lower. With a couple of marathons and a handful of half-marathons under his race belt, he was eager to tackle his first ultramarathon. The JFK 50 Mile was one of the few options still available.

“I ultimately made the call to withdraw from the race,” he said. “It seemed selfish to me to engage in nonessential travel to the race and potentially put myself and others at risk of spreading covid.”

There will be no trophy or results list to record his effort, but Herrig plans to instead run 50 miles this weekend by himself near his New York home.

“And that’s part of what I don’t understand,” he said. “People would probably be bummed if they canceled, but you can still do the underlying activity on your own.”

I have thought about this a lot lately. It was at the forefront of my mind running the HM trail race, doing the pacing thing last weekend and on my run this morning. I will definitely be running a HM soon, but not sure it will be next weekend. On the 21st I am running a 5k in the morning and plan to run that about as hard as I can right now. I don't see myself fully racing a HM at this time, but I definitely want to do one. It will either be this coming Saturday or will be the weekend after Thanksgiving - maybe both. We'll see!
You're really prioritizing rest before this 5k.

gianmarco said:
And then the bear attack hit me REALLY fast and pretty hard, which never happens.  Luckily I'm close to home, but that was a miserable 0.3 miles.
I read this so differently because my workouts are on trails, where an actual bear is a possibility.  So every time you guys post something like this, I think, "Oh thank god you're safe!" and then sheepishly realize what you're talking about.

I'm going to participate in ChiefD's half marathon thingie, but I can't do it until Sunday (Saturday I'll be drinking and eating Kansas City BBQ/Korean fusion food), and I won't be what you'd call running.  I'm just here in spirit if not in ability.

In other news, on Saturday night I finally lost my big toenail from my 50.2 mile walk on August 1!

I read this so differently because my workouts are on trails, where an actual bear is a possibility.  So every time you guys post something like this, I think, "Oh thank god you're safe!" and then sheepishly realize what you're talking about.
Yeah. Sheep attack is totally different. Especially in brooklyn.

It's ok, I'm safe. Thanks for the concern.

It is against that backdrop that 1,200 runners will arrive this weekend to compete in the JFK 50 Mile, the nation’s oldest ultramarathon taking place amid 2020’s biggest headache.
Been following this as it’s sort of regionally local. Very curious if the number of runners is that high or if that is the number of total paid and maybe a lot are deferring.

What a mess we are in. 

I'm going to participate in ChiefD's half marathon thingie, but I can't do it until Sunday (Saturday I'll be drinking and eating Kansas City BBQ/Korean fusion food), and I won't be what you'd call running.  I'm just here in spirit if not in ability.
You might have a bear attack of your own!

Well sometimes I have a bear attack when I'm on the trails as well.  And when I'm vulnerable, perhaps the other kind of bear attack will occur at the same time.

Would that be a meta bear attack?

Well sometimes I have a bear attack when I'm on the trails as well.  And when I'm vulnerable, perhaps the other kind of bear attack will occur at the same time.

Would that be a meta bear attack?
That would answer the question Does a Bear attack a ####ter in the Woods.

TBD.  I'll be one week post-50K, so it depends how my body feels.  If I do run, it'll just be an easy slog.

That said, even if I don't run, I pledge to donate $13.10 to a local food pantry for every one of you fools who covers the distance next weekend.  Who's with me to that end?
Still planning to donate $13.10 for each of you who covers the distance this weekend (and posts it to Strava), but I've decided that I'm going to give it to a pet shelter (instead of a food pantry).  Why?  Because I like animals more than most people.  :shrug:

Good luck!

I am glad I decided to race tomorrow as we just got the notice - kids are going remote after Thanksgiving. Thus may end my streak of years with 2,000+ miles - and the small likelihood I might marathon in spring is now zero. 

Still planning to donate $13.10 for each of you who covers the distance this weekend (and posts it to Strava), but I've decided that I'm going to give it to a pet shelter (instead of a food pantry).  Why?  Because I like animals more than most people.  :shrug:

Good luck!
Same here, except $21.10 (CAD) for each.  Will also go with an animal shelter for the same reasons as @gruecd!

@gianmarco Jeff Galloway is the King of the run/walk method. I tried it back in the day but it didn't work for me (nothing really did but that's beside the point). Read some of his stuff if you haven't already, he's got quite the cult following.

I am glad I decided to race tomorrow as we just got the notice - kids are going remote after Thanksgiving. Thus may end my streak of years with 2,000+ miles - and the small likelihood I might marathon in spring is now zero. 
We don't have the official word yet but there's a strong rumor from a reliable source.

But the preschool is staying open, so our youngest and mom will still be out of the house. Mom will be working everyday to make up for those who have elementary school age kids at home. 

at least the teens are easy. 🤦🏼‍♂️

We don't have the official word yet but there's a strong rumor from a reliable source.

But the preschool is staying open, so our youngest and mom will still be out of the house. Mom will be working everyday to make up for those who have elementary school age kids at home. 

at least the teens are easy. 🤦🏼‍♂️
The news was easier to absorb because we heard a rumor about it late last week. Gave us time to mentally prepare and contributed to me deciding on this race rather than one of a couple early December. Unfortunately pre-k will also be remote though. Should probably add a trip to the liquor store on the to do list. 

The news was easier to absorb because we heard a rumor about it late last week. Gave us time to mentally prepare and contributed to me deciding on this race rather than one of a couple early December. Unfortunately pre-k will also be remote though. Should probably add a trip to the liquor store on the to do list. 
Every day?

Good luck!
Now I’m getting out there. 

From WaPo re JFK 50 & covid...
I've run JFK 50 miler.  First two miles are on a two lane road....very easy to socially distance. 

The next 14 miles are on mostly single track (with a few spots where it opens up.)  Definitely could be a log jam in parts.  But you are also out in nature.  But there are sections where staying 6 feet apart is impossible if you want to pass someone. However, the camaraderie is such that they could ask people to alert someone if they want to pass and both parties put on a mask while the pass occurs.

The last 34+ miles is on a wide open trail and road, so social distancing is easy.  The finish is not chaotic at all with plenty of space.  However, I did have to ride a bus from the finish back to the start.

My feelings are the race could be done safely and I hope it still goes off.  I understand the concerns about travel and I'm not underestimating those risks.  I'm a regular mask wearer and definitely not an anti-mask guy.  I think masks work and are critical and should be required, however, I also feel like we need to find safe activities to keep ourselves sane.  The Boston Marathon is not one of those activities.  JFK is something that is very low risk IMO.

First dump in the books. Feeling good except my back tightened up over night for some reason.  Gonna head out in about 30 minutes hopefully.

Good luck all and thanks for participating!

First dump in the books. Feeling good except my back tightened up over night for some reason.  Gonna head out in about 30 minutes hopefully.

Good luck all and thanks for participating!
The dump ain't happening. I'm sure it's waiting for me around mile 4. 

I have my luxury spot in brooklyn, so might be changing up the course just to opt into running by that instead of staying in manhattan, down around the battery and up the hudson. no street running the entire way here vs hitting industrial streets in red hook and some in williamsburg/vinegar hill.

Gonna give it another few minutes...might also do a warm up nearby home to entice the bear into attacking early.

####.

I

The dump ain't happening. I'm sure it's waiting for me around mile 4. 

I have my luxury spot in brooklyn, so might be changing up the course just to opt into running by that instead of staying in manhattan, down around the battery and up the hudson. no street running the entire way here vs hitting industrial streets in red hook and some in williamsburg/vinegar hill.

Gonna give it another few minutes...might also do a warm up nearby home to entice the bear into attacking early.

####.

I
Sing it with me:

NO POOP TIL.........BROOKLYN!

Users who are viewing this thread