What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Ran a 10k - Official Thread (6 Viewers)

Unrelated - air squats with the tens machine full blast on the quads is a fun experience.
Nice.
I find a lax sized ball behind the knee with a squeeze and hold helps loosen some ****ty knee feelings.
#ptvernacular
Good to know. I figure in another 5-10 years my sac will be hanging that low, so I'll be able to do something productive with it.

It has been a while since I have been around, I guess after a disappointing marathon last fall and an 18-month stretch without much of a break I needed to recharge a bit. This thread has always been motivating for me and I have a tough time reading it when I am not training.

While getting out of shape I was busy coaching my son’s basketball team to a 0-7 record, season ended on Saturday, so I think I’m now ready to focus on running. I want to run at least 50 miles a week, 1 workout a week, and a semi long run 14+ each week until Broad Street - April 30. I don’t have enough time for a PR attempt but I want to get in decent shape prior to marathon training over the summer.

I’m sorry I’ve been absent, but it’s time for me to start back up and putting it in this thread increases the likelihood that I’ll follow through with it.

I’ll put my planned races on the calendar when I get home, work has blocked gmail and Strava.

I’ll put my planned races on the calendar when I get home, work has blocked gmail and Strava.
Sounds like its time to dust off the resume.
It is annoying to not have access but with the tuition discount and three kids, I’m hoping they let me stick around until the summer of 2033 or whenever my son graduates.

Unless you are rocking a flip phone, just access the sites on your phone :grad:

Sounds like its time to dust off the resume.
It is annoying to not have access but with the tuition discount and three kids, I’m hoping they let me stick around until the summer of 2033 or whenever my son graduates.

Unless you are rocking a flip phone, just access the sites on your phone :grad:
I do use my phone, but prefer the desktop version of strava vs the app. After being on a computer all day for work, I rarely use my personal laptop. Not a fan of updating spreadsheets from my phone.

My 2023 elevation exploration continued successfully in February:
Jan - 4,245 ft
Feb - 5,338

It's still ordinary stuff for most of you, but this pace would push me over 55K (vs. a previous high of 30K). This is on low mileage as well. Elevation/hills; strength work; a planned focus on striders...hoping this all gains me some solid improvement during the year and heading to a 2024 BQ.

I ran 17.4 miles in February vs. 7.2 in January so I guess that is something. Tonight was the first night in a long time I enjoyed all my time out there rather than it just feeling like misery and work, so that is something else.

But I spent a week in San Diego with perfect weather and no commitments and intentionally didn't pack running stuff so... Did walk a crapton of miles while there with my wife and had a great time so I don't care... Just shows my lack of commitment that I'm trying to work on.

Not sure if I posted this before or just thought about it but I'm officially back at the weight I was when I found you guys and changed my life. Feels like getting back to where I was is impossible but I have to get some of it back. Working on it but it's a pretty big mountain to climb.

I ran 17.4 miles in February vs. 7.2 in January so I guess that is something. Tonight was the first night in a long time I enjoyed all my time out there rather than it just feeling like misery and work, so that is something else.

But I spent a week in San Diego with perfect weather and no commitments and intentionally didn't pack running stuff so... Did walk a crapton of miles while there with my wife and had a great time so I don't care... Just shows my lack of commitment that I'm trying to work on.

Not sure if I posted this before or just thought about it but I'm officially back at the weight I was when I found you guys and changed my life. Feels like getting back to where I was is impossible but I have to get some of it back. Working on it but it's a pretty big mountain to climb.
But you’ve climbed it before. You KNOW its not impossible.

I was younger then...

Well, my toenails have finally all grown back in and look beautiful again. I've been holding off on running for a while to finally get to this spot.

So happy I can finally start running again. See you out on the roads, gents!
Saw an Oofos commercial during the Jeopardy broadcast last night and immediately thought of you. How did you miss out on being their spokesman?!?

Well, my toenails have finally all grown back in and look beautiful again. I've been holding off on running for a while to finally get to this spot.

Saw an Oofos commercial during the Jeopardy broadcast last night and immediately thought of you. How did you miss out on being their spokesman?!?

I was younger then...
:violin:

Health assessment today: https://strava.app.link/WYjBiP5ZOxb

I think this is about the same as last year for that device (different place, this one doesn’t have the egg), the egg showed about 7% lower BF%. I think this seems more accurate.
15% is solid but motivates me to stop eating as poorly as I’ll let myself at times. It’s very easy to convince myself it’s okay to eat crap when the bod pod showed 8% bf. Even if I didn’t look like the pictures.
I’m quite content to be in the 180s, but would like to drop to 12-13% BF by the summer.

Oh, and the monthly challenge is push-ups for those partaking.

I think this is about the same as last year for that device (different place, this one doesn’t have the egg), the egg showed about 7% lower BF%. I think this seems more accurate.
15% is solid but motivates me to stop eating as poorly as I’ll let myself at times. It’s very easy to convince myself it’s okay to eat crap when the bod pod showed 8% bf. Even if I didn’t look like the pictures.
I’m quite content to be in the 180s, but would like to drop to 12-13% BF by the summer.

I'm in again for month three. This has been beneficial in pushing me to commit 20-30 minutes to a workout most nights ...the monthly focus, surrounded by some other reps.

New Garmin Forerunners coming, deets aplenty here. I am thinking I’m ready for something new later this year with more battery, will see about the 265 against the Coros watches that have mega battery life. The running metrics he describes that will come via wrist with these are some of the things that I got with the switch to a Garmin HR strap.

Hey, @ChiefD , we need a serious "la-di-da" for @SteelCurtain 's weekend run - early morning start (< 6:00 a.m.); cold (11 degrees); no nutrition/hydration ...and he runs a full marathon. :bow:
Just catching up on this now. Its a local race that they hold the day before Boston so I never can do it. (I never want to miss the day before Boston festivities.....its better than the actual race from Hopkinton.)

There was a couple people who were running the course, so I decided to get out and try it as its not an easy course with over 2300 feet of elevation.

Fun morning and now just navigating the week after to make sure I stay healthy.

Jan - 4,245 ft
Feb - 5,338

It's still ordinary stuff for most of you, but this pace would push me over 55K (vs. a previous high of 30K). This is on low mileage as well. Elevation/hills; strength work; a planned focus on striders...hoping this all gains me some solid improvement during the year and heading to a 2024 BQ.
This will definitely help. I've made a concerted effort to run hillier routes and I feel stronger already. I'm over 30,000 feet in 2023.

I'm in again for month three. This has been beneficial in pushing me to commit 20-30 minutes to a workout most nights ...the monthly focus, surrounded by some other reps.

What is the link to the file? I will hop in late.

What is the link to the file? I will hop in late.
👍🏽 https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1qc37s-Niw5KvEI3-i_mYAa7AxoTqlpwenqB5x-uwxIA/edit

Jan - 4,245 ft
Feb - 5,338

This will definitely help. I've made a concerted effort to run hillier routes and I feel stronger already. I'm over 30,000 feet in 2023.
Ok, Mr. SteelCurtainDuckasada.

So, it looks like Steve is back running after taking 2 months off. There is going to be like a week where my fitness is better than his :coffee:

Like a family reunion of my historical injuries right now. Adductor still grumping at me, calf is back for some attention, and my glute didn't want to be left out -- and didn't even bring a fruit salad out of courtesy.

Miwok is 7 weeks away. Going to be a delicate balance to keep things from getting worse, but still toeing the line with enough fitness to get it done.

Alright, this is pretty stupid to even write here because, well, running sucks, especially when it's hot, and, I haven't even bothered to ask the head honcho, but.....

There's a relay race here on June 3rd on the KT trail that is usually hot AF. Since I'm running Berlin in September anyway, getting into some kind of running shape by early June isn't the worst idea even though this is so dumb.

Is there any interest to have a 2023 version? If there is, I'll start to ask. Just got the email about registration that opens up January 23rd.....

Alright, this is pretty stupid to even write here because, well, running sucks, especially when it's hot, and, I haven't even bothered to ask the head honcho, but.....

There's a relay race here on June 3rd on the KT trail that is usually hot AF. Since I'm running Berlin in September anyway, getting into some kind of running shape by early June isn't the worst idea even though this is so dumb.

Is there any interest to have a 2023 version? If there is, I'll start to ask. Just got the email about registration that opens up January 23rd.....

Sure. I’ll try not to break something.

I'm rather interested. Mark me down as a probable.
Alright, there are still registration spots open. We've got 3 people.

Do we have 3 more that would be interested?

Sure. I’ll try not to break something.

I'm rather interested. Mark me down as a probable.
Alright, there are still registration spots open. We've got 3 people.

Do we have 3 more that would be interested?
Alas, I’ve got a conference (with a possible presentation) that day.

Like a family reunion of my historical injuries right now. Adductor still grumping at me, calf is back for some attention, and my glute didn't want to be left out -- and didn't even bring a fruit salad out of courtesy.

Miwok is 7 weeks away. Going to be a delicate balance to keep things from getting worse, but still toeing the line with enough fitness to get it done.
As you know, better to be 100% healthy and 80% fit (or in your case, 90%+) rather than the opposite.

For those of you that have the Noxgear Tracer vest, I'd suggest taking a look at this. Just saw that it was on sale a few days ago and ordered it. It just came in and tried it out and it's pretty awesome.

It clips into the vest and eliminates the need for a headlamp (or can add to it as well if you want two sources). Really sturdy.

On sale here (WINTER23) and with free shipping (SHIPSFREE)

For those of you that have the Noxgear Tracer vest, I'd suggest taking a look at this. Just saw that it was on sale a few days ago and ordered it. It just came in and tried it out and it's pretty awesome.

It clips into the vest and eliminates the need for a headlamp (or can add to it as well if you want two sources). Really sturdy.

Nice! This would be really useful for Western States and other into-the-night ultras.

Add coupon code "SAVE5" to save 5 more dollars.

Add coupon code "SAVE5" to save 5 more dollars.
F***

Got out for 27km yesterday for my first long Saturday run since the marathon. Planned to do 14-15km today, but my wife and I had a car key mixup and had to add 10km to that.

Legs are not happy. But it's nice to have a 55mi week for the first time in a while.

7 weeks to Miwok...

Users who are viewing this thread