What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Ran a 10k - Official Thread (10 Viewers)

Preparing for a half marathon PR attempt on Sunday at the NYC Half.

A goal -- 1:29:xx
B goal -- PR - 1:31:36
C goal -- 1:32:00 which is the NYC marathon qualifying standard

Weather looking decent (upper 30's and clear), however, a headwind of 12 mph with gusts to 22 mph is not ideal.
I especially like the 1:29 :x

:D

Weather looking decent (upper 30's and clear), however, a headwind of 12 mph with gusts to 22 mph is not ideal.

You got this :towelwave: :thumbup::hifive:

The Barkleys started this morning. It's all relative in East Tennessee in mid March, but they've got the best weather conditions in years. If the surface isn't a disaster from all the wild weather lately we may get some fun run graduates this year.

Speaking of the effect of weather: @SFBayDuck , what's the buzz about Western States in June? How will all the massive snowfalls in the Sierra Nevada affect the course? I recall your race, where as you began by ascending higher into the mountains, you encountered a lot of slippery and also melting, messy snow. I'd imagine that this year's race will be unusually challenging.

Speaking of the effect of weather: @SFBayDuck , what's the buzz about Western States in June? How will all the massive snowfalls in the Sierra Nevada affect the course? I recall your race, where as you began by ascending higher into the mountains, you encountered a lot of slippery and also melting, messy snow. I'd imagine that this year's race will be unusually challenging.

I haven't heard much specifically about the trail, but yeah they've gotten historic levels of snow in Tahoe this year, and doesn't sound like it's over yet. There have been several years with altered snow courses at States and at least one year when they had to bypass Robinson Flat altogether as the road was still snowed in at 7,000' (in late June!). In 2017 it was a heavy snow year but then there was a heat wave the week of the race that basically flash melted any surface facing the afternoon sun. So those areas turned into full-on fields of mud and running water on race day, followed by turning a corner where it was shaded and post-holing in knee-deep snow. Rinse and repeat for about 10 miles. Good times ;)

Still running somewhat sporadically but trying to get more consistent. But in an attempt to be nicer to myself, I have also started some PT to work on flexibility, strength, and overall good form, etc. Trying to prevent some of the issues I had before with hip pain and such. I have never, ever, ever been particularly flexible and never will be, I'm sure. But the benefits of a couple of sessions is pretty amazing. Now if I can just do the 'homework' consistently it should pay off dividends as I try to get back into shape once again.

Still running somewhat sporadically but trying to get more consistent. But in an attempt to be nicer to myself, I have also started some PT to work on flexibility, strength, and overall good form, etc. Trying to prevent some of the issues I had before with hip pain and such. I have never, ever, ever been particularly flexible and never will be, I'm sure. But the benefits of a couple of sessions is pretty amazing. Now if I can just do the 'homework' consistently it should pay off dividends as I try to get back into shape once again.
Don't sell yourself short. With a steady commitment, you'll probably surprise yourself. I do a short (~5 minute) routine as I wake up each morning and as I go to bed at night ...literally the first and last thing of the day. Try some of that or other mid-day routines (e.g., exercises you can do at the work desk), and see what improvement occurs.

The Barkleys started this morning. It's all relative in East Tennessee in mid March, but they've got the best weather conditions in years. If the surface isn't a disaster from all the wild weather lately we may get some fun run graduates this year.

For the first time ever, four runners are out on loop 5. Might we see multiple finishers this year? Several people commenting it's because this is the best weather they've ever had for the race.

The lone remaining female missed the 48 hour cutoff for loop 4 (still not in as far as I can tell). Pretty sure that's the closest a woman has come to a finish.

@JShare87 are you targeting a new race? I see you're keeping the running up. Hope so!
I am not. Not sure what’s going on with me, but I was sick for a week a little after my marathon. I have been lifting a lot and haven’t been focusing on running much. Just when I was starting to try and piece some miles together, I played football and tweaked my knee.

Trying to start back up again. My Apple Watch alerted me yesterday that my resting HR this past week was abnormally high. It’s usually in the mid 40s and now it’s in the 50s/60s. My VO2Max continues to drop as well (53 after this morning’s run) Pretty sure that is the lowest it’s been in the past 3-4 years. My HR got up to 189 (my max) on my run today, and I felt it. They were running a 5K on my local route, so I got caught up in trying to show off.

I’ll never understand how this whole things works. Down to 13% body fat and haven’t had over 2-3 grams of sugar in a day since December. Yet, my running and fitness continues to drop. When I eat like crap and look like a fat guy with skinny arms and legs, my VO2Max is like 62 and I feel amazing out there.

Congrats on the PR.
...with a "la-di-da" back story to it as well!

:pickle:

@JShare87 are you targeting a new race? I see you're keeping the running up. Hope so!
I am not. Not sure what’s going on with me, but I was sick for a week a little after my marathon. I have been lifting a lot and haven’t been focusing on running much. Just when I was starting to try and piece some miles together, I played football and tweaked my knee.

Trying to start back up again. My Apple Watch alerted me yesterday that my resting HR this past week was abnormally high. It’s usually in the mid 40s and now it’s in the 50s/60s. My VO2Max continues to drop as well (53 after this morning’s run) Pretty sure that is the lowest it’s been in the past 3-4 years. My HR got up to 189 (my max) on my run today, and I felt it. They were running a 5K on my local route, so I got caught up in trying to show off.

I’ll never understand how this whole things works. Down to 13% body fat and haven’t had over 2-3 grams of sugar in a day since December. Yet, my running and fitness continues to drop. When I eat like crap and look like a fat guy with skinny arms and legs, my VO2Max is like 62 and I feel amazing out there.
You think you’d learn to follow the results :oldunsure:

Does anyone have a good YouTube or other site to give a good 5-10 minute stretch / yoga daily routine for April’s challenge? Looking at flexibility, or Agile April.

So, somehow after 162 days straight of Garmin spitting out the same VO2Max for me, I got bumped up 1 after last night's run. Yay! Not sure how much stock I really put in it, though.

I’ve noticed that they’ve smoothed out the formula. I don’t get ups and downs as often as I once did. Although it’s accuracy is questionable, I find the score useful to compare my fitness level to past levels.

Does anyone have a good YouTube or other site to give a good 5-10 minute stretch / yoga daily routine for April’s challenge? Looking at flexibility, or Agile April.
I find a lot of options from Dr. Kristie Ennis.
We know you love her.
Informative for flexibility and agility workouts; easy on the eyes. What's not to love? Just be thankful I'm willing to share with you slugs.

So, somehow after 162 days straight of Garmin spitting out the same VO2Max for me, I got bumped up 1 after last night's run. Yay! Not sure how much stock I really put in it, though.

I’ve noticed that they’ve smoothed out the formula. I don’t get ups and downs as often as I once did. Although it’s accuracy is questionable, I find the score useful to compare my fitness level to past levels.
Yes, the oscillations that were often obviously correlated to the weather have largely disappeared. I'm not sure if it's because they're taking things like weather and training load into account or because it's averaged over a long enough time frame that things largely balance. I agree with you - at the end of the day it is at least doing something similar to what pbm and others do when they look at HR versus pace to try to gauge fitness gains or losses, so I do think there's at least a kernel of useful information there.

Shalane Flanagan ran by me this morning while I was out walking Summit. That is all.

My annual sit out back and watch the race go by and assess form at mile 2 like I’m @tri-man 47.
Got to shout out my boy Wardian as he zoomed by in like 4th place.
So thankful for this trail and this race that kicked me into racing myself. Nice cool damp morning for the runners after yesterday rainshittt.
So awesome. I was out getting coffee yesterday and watched Kipchoge jog by.

Shalane Flanagan ran by me this morning while I was out walking Summit. That is all.

My annual sit out back and watch the race go by and assess form at mile 2 like I’m @tri-man 47.
Got to shout out my boy Wardian as he zoomed by in like 4th place.
So thankful for this trail and this race that kicked me into racing myself. Nice cool damp morning for the runners after yesterday rainshittt.
So awesome. I was out getting coffee yesterday and watched Kipchoge jog by.
I ran by some shops on Friday and seen Matthew McConaughey in the reflection of the windows. Crazy week for celebrity sightings around here!

Oak barrel half Saturday. Goal is to not die.
Sunday I’ll be handing out packets at our local HM, bridge street. I tell myself no more HMs that aren’t preceded by 56 miles on the bike and a swim but if there’s one I’ll do it’s bridge street.
The bottom of my foot has been bothering me a bit and my knee feels like it has arthritis. So this should be fun.
Got my bike tuned and small repairs, replaced the crankshaft and cassette in time to start Tuesday night rides on the Arsenal with team rocket tri.
At least I’ll be able to stop running for a while.
I think I only have a sprint in June, Olympics in July and August. I think I mentioned it before but I can’t do my favorite race this year as we’ll be driving to Hilton head that day, sep 30. This should be the only year the last Saturday in September (race day) is the same week as the first Monday in October (fall break).

Oak barrel half Saturday. Goal is to not die.
Sunday I’ll be handing out packets at our local HM, bridge street. I tell myself no more HMs that aren’t preceded by 56 miles on the bike and a swim but if there’s one I’ll do it’s bridge street.
The bottom of my foot has been bothering me a bit and my knee feels like it has arthritis. So this should be fun.
Got my bike tuned and small repairs, replaced the crankshaft and cassette in time to start Tuesday night rides on the Arsenal with team rocket tri.
At least I’ll be able to stop running for a while.
I think I only have a sprint in June, Olympics in July and August. I think I mentioned it before but I can’t do my favorite race this year as we’ll be driving to Hilton head that day, sep 30. This should be the only year the last Saturday in September (race day) is the same week as the first Monday in October (fall break).
Maybe a callous of some sort? You could probably use a well-lubricated foot massage. I've got <checks appointments book> a couple openings on Friday.

After an effective month of push-ups ...I'm ready for Agile April:

Welcome to Q2.

Happy with 501 miles through March, a bit more than last 2 years q1 mileage and about 14% more vert at 1 BPM lower AHR than 2022. RHR has not changed from a year ago despite base work and taking my Athletic Greens but I’ll keep on keeping on.

My body has not really felt good absent workouts like I thought I might but more core and strength stuff has been a different stimuli has I think I’m slowly adapting to it. That would be nice. Also had a couple trail days help the vert # and prob contributed to my back and knee feeling less awesome than I would prefer. Massage earlier this week was good and I’ll have a down volume week on spring break. Think I found a runner masseuse which should help.

Upcoming hopefully some newsuper shooz to try out for the fall and dropping in some 10k workouts later in April for some variety and to see about racing one in June during early marathon cycle.

Some notable races on the calendar in April including @SteelCurtain vs Kipchoge, “the rematch in Boston”.

Onward.

239.99 miles for March. That's the highest since August 2021 (although not by much). I've run everyday this year so I have a little streak going. Efficiency has been pretty good but at least a few notches from peak. I need to start stringing sub 6:00 miles together. That seems to help quite a bit. It seems like weather, fatigue, mood, sleeplessness, etc. have been getting in the way of trying.

I'm pleased with Q1. The focus was elevation, and I'm now on pace for 62K. My previous annual high was 30K, so this is definitely a vastly improved dimension to my training. Q1 mileage of 434 projects out to over 1,700 miles, and I was generally running just 3-4 days a week. Better weather and more flexibility starting in May should help all of this improve even more. As touched on in a recent Strava post, I'm now following several of the world's top old-guy AGers and learning from their workouts. One theme: fast, short accelerations in many of their runs. As a result, they have some impressive top-end speed, and I need to develop some of that. @-OZ- 's monthly workout challenge has been very helpful as well to make me commit to a daily workout focused on strength/core/flexibility.

I'm extending my push ups until race day (4/23). This round has really grown on me versus other push up challenges.

I'm extending my push ups until race day (4/23). This round has really grown on me versus other push up challenges.
I had been doing air squats already at the start of 2023, and I've continued those all along. I expect I'll keep up with planks, push-ups, and my squats and lunges along with April's new flexibility focus. All that, along with a brief first-in-the-morning and last-thing-at-night stretching, has kept me feeling really good right now.

Q1 is done and I'm at 731 miles and nearly 42K of elevation. Both are up over last year, however, I'm dealing with a bunch of annoying pain points that are minor but bothersome.

Pleased with my HM PR during Q1 as well. Try to survive April (busy month at work) and then ramp up summer mileage as I prepare for another marathon PR attempt in Fall.

Q1 is done and I'm at 731 miles and nearly 42K of elevation. Both are up over last year, however, I'm dealing with a bunch of annoying pain points that are minor but bothersome.

Pleased with my HM PR during Q1 as well. Try to survive April (busy month at work) and then ramp up summer mileage as I prepare for another marathon PR attempt in Fall.
You couldn't find 269 more miles?

I was just looking around the website for the Glass City Marathon I'm running. They unfortunately don't have a 3:20 pacer (my goal). Their team goes from 3:15 to 3:30.

While my plan for this race wasn't to follow one, it would have been nice should things change or I needed to make in race adjustments.

They do have a 1:40 for the half, so I guess there is something for the first part of the race.

I was just looking around the website for the Glass City Marathon I'm running. They unfortunately don't have a 3:20 pacer (my goal). Their team goes from 3:15 to 3:30.

While my plan for this race wasn't to follow one, it would have been nice should things change or I needed to make in race adjustments.

They do have a 1:40 for the half, so I guess there is something for the first part of the race.
There will be some good (but not too busy) traffic over those first 8 miles to help keep you on pace regardless of whether you keep eye contact on the pacer or not. Once through the park at mile 11 I found it relatively easy to sustain as there is only one short section with turns between that point and mile 19 with long slightly tilted straightaways bookended on each side.

Volunteered at Bridge Street this morning handing out race bibs and shirts. That thing was not organized well. None of us volunteers even knew who to talk to when problems came up, then even on an absolutely perfect day, at least 100 people didn’t show up (about 1/4 the field). So many shirts leftover 🤷

But the course record was broken by a guy I follow on strava, dude is almost as amazing as some of you. 1:06.

There will be some good (but not too busy) traffic over those first 8 miles to help keep you on pace regardless of whether you keep eye contact on the pacer or not. Once through the park at mile 11 I found it relatively easy to sustain as there is only one short section with turns between that point and mile 19 with long slightly tilted straightaways bookended on each side.

Thanks for the insights. With the 2 passes through the park, I need to make sure I'm not zoning out on the split there :oldunsure:

Users who are viewing this thread