What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Ranking Led Zeppelin Songs - Request To Participate (1 Viewer)

Stairway did not make my cut. I do think they kinda "borrowed" a bit too much for that song, so it's kind of on principle.

Odd criteria, all things considered.  At least with Dazed and Confused, Whole lot of Love and Babe I'd Gonna Leave You - the band were successfully sued, and have since changed song-writing credits.

LZ won the Stairway to Heaven lawsuit..

Was going to mention this later, but they couldn’t get the song rights to use any songs from the fourth album for the movie. But they got Kashmir instead. Not sure why they didn’t change the line in the movie instead. 
I always wondered why they didn't change the line too but I think it just shows that Ratner was pretty hapless when it came to dating.  He really wasn't that slick.
I always assumed it was intentional, to show Ratner's haplessness. (Good word choice.)

Odd criteria, all things considered.  At least with Dazed and Confused, Whole lot of Love and Babe I'd Gonna Leave You - the band were successfully sued, and have since changed song-writing credits.

LZ won the Stairway to Heaven lawsuit..
Totally get it. I got a sour thing for Stairway.  Same for Kashmir, though it made my list. 25 year-old me would have put it in the top 5.

I think this is true of most artists, if you're only listening to them after-the-fact (as opposed to actually being in the audience when the songs were played, which is a whole different thing). 

That said, there's a live version of "Trampled Underfoot" in one of their concert films that smokes the studio version. 
Not Pearl Jam.

I think this is true of most artists, if you're only listening to them after-the-fact (as opposed to actually being in the audience when the songs were played, which is a whole different thing). 

That said, there's a live version of "Trampled Underfoot" in one of their concert films that smokes the studio version. 
I'm sure that if i had been in the crowd at Madison Square Garden and stoned our of my mind I wouldn't of mind. I  know what you mean and just my opinion.  

Stairway did not make my cut. I do think they kinda "borrowed" a bit too much for that song, so it's kind of on principle.
The truth of their songwriting controversies is a little more nuanced than this. To wit:

Dazed And Confused - Jake Holmes dropped his lawsuit in exchange for a shout-out in the liner notes ("Inspired by Jake Holmes"), but the actual songwriting credit was not changed.

Whole Lotta Love - Willie Dixon dropped his lawsuit in exchange for a lump sum and a 1/5th writing credit.

Babe I'm Gonna Leave You - Anne Bredon didn't file a lawsuit. She just had her publisher contact Zep and they subsequently adjusted the writing credit.

I'd also argue that on an ethical level, Zep's actions were 100% justified in the case of BIGLY (since Joan Baez had improperly claimed that it was a traditional song). I also think that Zep got a bit of a bad rap for WLL, considering the fact that it was an acceptable practice in the '60s to take credit for re-written blues songs. Willie Dixon himself was no stranger to the practice.

Some people say the Crunge is the worst song on HOH, I don't agree
That record doesn't have a bad one imo.  I like the Crunge, probably between 30-40.  Jamica and No Quarter would both be ranked below the Crunge in my HOTH list. 

Last edited by a moderator:
No. There won’t be some big reveal. Results will be one song at a time, most likely one a day. Will probably start on Monday. 

Are you starting at the bottom of the list or the top 25?

I kind of want to see the whole list done, but doing top 25 leaves some drama and guessing left.
Is the list going to be contained or updated in a single post? I want to put this in a Spotify play list.

Is the list going to be contained or updated in a single post? I want to put this in a Spotify play list.
There will be a new thread up in a couple of days. The first post in the new thread will be updated each time a song is added. There will be a post about each song (hopefully) added each day starting with the least popular song working our way to the most popular song. Can’t promise you that every song will be available on Spotify almost all will. 

There will be a new thread up in a couple of days. The first post in the new thread will be updated each time a song is added. There will be a post about each song (hopefully) added each day starting with the least popular song working our way to the most popular song. Can’t promise you that every song will be available on Spotify almost all will. 
Hmmm...thought their entire catalog is on there. It was a big deal way back when when they finally put it on there.

Yea, I believe he is working on it,  Unfortunately he told me this morning his whole family has covid, except him...so he said he should have time to work on it...
Can you find out how this is going and apply suitable pressure to get completed, if possible? Hoping to get all the list processing done after today.

If anyone else wants to submit a list, today is the day. If anyone else wants to make changes to a list already submitted, this is the last day to do so (and several of you have taken that option already today).

how do you feel about bumping the song count up?

30? ...40? 

Hopefully I'm not missing a joke here but I assumed it would be starting with the lowest ranked song(s) that were ranked by at least one person.  So, hypothetically, if one person listed Stairway 25th and it was the 70th song then Monday we would get

70.  Stairway  (1 pt. - ranked by Doofus (25th))

Something like that.

Hopefully I'm not missing a joke here but I assumed it would be starting with the lowest ranked song(s) that were ranked by at least one person.  So, hypothetically, if one person listed Stairway 25th and it was the 70th song then Monday we would get

Something like that.
This would be good.

However, I don't think it was what was planned. As a compromise, I would love to do do this as a full list and each day is a 10 song reveal. 

Songs 61-70. Next day 51-60, etc. 

This way we see where all the songs fell, it's not a big song dump, but it also doesn't take a month to reveal but instead gets done in a week.

I know I'm not in charge, but stretching this out over 25 days doesn't sound appealing. Even if we only do 25 songs, I would prefer 5 songs/day. 

Last edited by a moderator:

Something like that.

I was asking Getz about whether the Beatles ranked list could be bumped up ...

Why is this so difficult for people to understand? All songs that got at least one vote will be included. Each song will get an extensive write up. Might be able to get to more than one song a day if I have time. 
Can you list all songs (if any) that did not get a vote?

Users who are viewing this thread