What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Rapist Gets Slap On Wrist From Judge (1 Viewer)

I just can't make that call on an objective level.  I think it depends on the reaction of the victim.  But I do agree that some rapes can be worse to certain people than other rapes would have been.  I just don't think it's an objective issue.  None of this is.  It's why it's so difficult to discuss in the abstract.

Lots of things experienced subjectively can, in my opinion, form the basis of objective truths in at least some sense. Taste is subjective, but I'm comfortable saying that, for humans, strawberries objectively taste better than soap in the sense that we can reliably predict that nearly everyone will prefer strawberries. I'm comfortable saying that Emma Watson is objectively prettier than at least some other women for the same reason, and that we can identify certain objects as being objectively worse than others to be raped with. None of those things will necessarily be agreed on unanimously -- but predictably enough to form a general consensus.

Last edited by a moderator:
Every woman I know views bars and heavy drinking events as dangerous situations.  And walking to her car.  And opening her front door.  And sitting in a parking lot.  And going to a dressing room in a store.  And walking into an alley.  And going to sleep.  And meeting a repairman or landlord at their own home by themselves. And going for a walk alone.  And talking to strangers. And making eye contact with strangers.  And eating alone in public.  And wearing headphones in public.  And staying late at the office.  And using an ATM.  

At some point, you have to live your life.
In a thread full of good posts (and some truly awful ones), it's notable to me that this is the post that two women on the board liked (and no men did).  I don't agree with all your posts in this thread, Henry, but this is about as close to "getting it" as anyone has come.

Lots of things experienced subjectively can, in my opinion, form the basis of objective truths in at least some sense. Taste is subjective, but I'm comfortable saying that, for humans, strawberries objectively taste better than soap in the sense that we can reliably predict that nearly everyone will prefer strawberries. I'm comfortable saying that Emma Watson is objectively prettier than at least some other women for the same reason, and that we can identify certain objects as being objectively worse than others to be raped with. None of those things will necessarily be agreed on unanimously -- but predictably enough to form a general consensus.
But I'm not talking about unanimous agreement.  I'm talking about consensus agreement, which really only can come from people who have knowledge of the issue.  In the case of strawberries and soap, we can all taste those and see which one is better and provide a reasoned opinion because we know what strawberries taste like and we know what soap tastes like.  That's why you can provide a prediction as to what other people will think.  If you'd never tasted soap or strawberries, you couldn't.  

If I presented you with a blorp and a widget, and told you that one is a tangy taste and one is a rich taste, you couldn't tell me which is a better or worse flavor.  Even if you tasted the blorp without tasting the widget.  If I blindfolded you and told you that you were in a room with Jennifer and Jessica, and that you need to tell me which one is prettier, and just said one is a blonde and one is a brunette, you cannot possibly tell me which one is.  

When rape victims come out en masse - as they have for years - and say that "rape is rape", who the hell are we to contradict that?  

In a thread full of good posts (and some truly awful ones), it's notable to me that this is the post that two women on the board liked (and no men did).  I don't agree with all your posts in this thread, Henry, but this is about as close to "getting it" as anyone has come.
There is a guy who works at our local library who I'm assuming is gay, and who very subtlety . . . I don't know . . . gives me too much attention.  When I need something and I engage with him, his gaze lingers.  It's not that he follows me around, just . . . too much attention.  It's creepy. 

I guess if I multiplied this experience by, I don't know, 27,000, I'd start to get an idea of what it's like to be a woman. It's f_cking mind-boggling to me.

Thanks.  That means a lot coming from a man pretending to be a woman on a message board.

There is a guy who works at our local library who I'm assuming is gay, and who very subtlety . . . I don't know . . . gives me too much attention.  When I need something and I engage with him, his gaze lingers.  It's not that he follows me around, just . . . too much attention.  It's creepy. 

I guess if I multiplied this experience by, I don't know, 27,000, I'd start to get an idea of what it's like to be a woman. It's f_cking mind-boggling to me.
A very long time ago, someone said to me that in his opinion "homophobia" isn't fear of homosexuality - it's fear of being treated by gay men the way women are treated by straight men.  I really didn't get the term until then.

If Michael Cera doesn't play this guy in the all-but-certain Lifetime movie, then I don't even know what casting directors do anymore.

And what's the legal limit that person would be '3x' noted by the person I responded to?
You very well know what they're talking about. If 3x the limit to drive makes you pass out behind a trash can 3x the limit will make you pass out in a bar. You've been doing pretty well in this thread. But this isn't one of your finer points.

I like to think that the people who focus on the victim's actions are somewhat akin to those who, when they hear, for example, of a 40-year-old dying, want to know the cause.  Or if they hear that the cause was lung cancer they want to know if the person was a smoker.  I think that, while a few might have misguided motives, most are just trying to make sense of an ugly situation or moreso to say "that can't happen to me/my daughter/my friend" because they will take actions to prevent it, or at the very least that they want to see themselves (or their families/friends) as not vulnerable in this way.  

But I'm not talking about unanimous agreement.  I'm talking about consensus agreement, which really only can come from people who have knowledge of the issue.  In the case of strawberries and soap, we can all taste those and see which one is better and provide a reasoned opinion because we know what strawberries taste like and we know what soap tastes like.  That's why you can provide a prediction as to what other people will think.  If you'd never tasted soap or strawberries, you couldn't.  

If I presented you with a blorp and a widget, and told you that one is a tangy taste and one is a rich taste, you couldn't tell me which is a better or worse flavor.  Even if you tasted the blorp without tasting the widget.  If I blindfolded you and told you that you were in a room with Jennifer and Jessica, and that you need to tell me which one is prettier, and just said one is a blonde and one is a brunette, you cannot possibly tell me which one is.  

When rape victims come out en masse - as they have for years - and say that "rape is rape", who the hell are we to contradict that?  

This is a good point. I don't know if a poll along the lines of the one I proposed has been done on the CurlyGirls board, and if so, what the results were.

I think I can pretty safely say I would enjoy having a yacht more than I would enjoy having a dead skunk, even though I can't test either nor have I had any experience with either.

As to your last point, I'm unaware of any studies of people that have been raped in multiple different ways and compared them.

You have a choice.  You can get a handjob from a pretty girl that you were flirting with where she initiated the act when you were too drunk to consent to it, or you can get pinned down and pounded in the ### by some behemoth in an alley until you bleed out of your ### and can't sit down for a month.

According to you they are both rape and both exactly the same thing.  So if I'm letting you pick one to happen to you, are you abstaining on the grounds that there is no difference?

I think I can pretty safely say I would enjoy having a yacht more than I would enjoy having a dead skunk, even though I can't test either nor have I had any experience with either.

As to your last point, I'm unaware of any studies of people that have been raped in multiple different ways and compared them.

You have a choice.  You can get a handjob from a pretty girl that you were flirting with where she initiated the act when you were too drunk to consent to it, or you can get pinned down and pounded in the ### by some behemoth in an alley until you bleed and can't sit down for a month.

According to you they are both rape and both exactly the same thing.  So if I'm letting you pick one to happen to you, are you abstaining on the grounds that there is no difference?
I like this game. Can we try different examples which may more closely compare to the experience a woman might feel? 

Example 1: You're on a business trip with another guy that happens to be gay. No big deal since you're used to working with him and aren't gay yourself.  After your meetings you hang out for a few drinks and you  have a little too much. You pass out at the bar and wake up on his couch in his hotel room and  discover your pants pulled down and semen all over you. You ### hasn't been violated, but you think he might have jerked you off.

Example 2: You're walking home from a bar. A huge behemoth grabs you from behind and pounds your ### until you can't sit down for a month.

You have a choice.  You can get a handjob from a pretty girl that you were flirting with where she initiated the act when you were too drunk to consent to it, or you can get pinned down and pounded in the ### by some behemoth in an alley until you bleed and can't sit down for a month.

1. You can say that you would enjoy having a yacht more than a dead skunk (and may or may not be right - let's try to remember that the two best days of a boat owner's life are the day he buys it and the day he sells it) because you want a yacht and you don't want a dead skunk.  One is something you perceive as good, because of your experiences and desires, and one is something you perceive as bad because of your experiences and desires.  Would you prefer a yacht to a ferrari?  Or a dead horse to a dead skunk? Do you actually know which one, or just think you know?

2. Also, a handjob probably isn't rape in any jurisdiction based on general definitions.  But I'll certainly concede that there are other acts that would be.  And I don't know - if you were too drunk to consent and you wake up the next morning and she's telling you how much you enjoyed her raping you, and you live for the rest of your life feeling raped but confused because your body reacted to it, and you don't trust your own body any more, and you think to yourself that maybe you like being raped, and what the #### is wrong with you and isn't it your fault anyway because you finished... is that better or worse than a violent assault?  Do I get to make that decision for rape victims?  Even leaving aside that, like we have repeatedly discussed in this thread, there are other significant felonies present in the second example that weren't present in the first?

2. Also, a handjob probably isn't rape in any jurisdiction based on general definitions.  But I'll certainly concede that there are other acts that would be.  And I don't know - if you were too drunk to consent and you wake up the next morning and she's telling you how much you enjoyed her raping you, and you live for the rest of your life feeling raped but confused because your body reacted to it, and you don't trust your own body any more, and you think to yourself that maybe you like being raped, and what the #### is wrong with you and isn't it your fault anyway because you finished... is that better or worse than a violent assault?  Do I get to make that decision for rape victims?  Even leaving aside that, like we have repeatedly discussed in this thread, there are other significant felonies present in the second example that weren't present in the first?
No, you're making the decision for yourself.  I don't need your train of thought.  It's simple.  Option 1, option 2, or flip a coin because they're the same.  Answer honestly.

1. You can say that you would enjoy having a yacht more than a dead skunk (and may or may not be right - let's try to remember that the two best days of a boat owner's life are the day he buys it and the day he sells it) because you want a yacht and you don't want a dead skunk.  One is something you perceive as good, because of your experiences and desires, and one is something you perceive as bad because of your experiences and desires.  Would you prefer a yacht to a ferrari?  Or a dead horse to a dead skunk? Do you actually know which one, or just think you know?
Which would you rather have chopped off, your left pinky or your penis?

No, you're making the decision for yourself.  I don't need your train of thought.  It's simple.  Option 1, option 2, or flip a coin because they're the same.  Answer honestly.
But it's not simple.  It's not simple at all.  And it's not the scenario repeatedly discussed wherein the "other felonies" are the same, which is the whole point of this discussion.

Would I prefer to have one crime of violence perpetrated on me rather than multiple crimes? Probably.  If we remove all other crimes from scenario two, they are equally damaging crimes in my opinion.  But I've never been subjected to them.

I was watching The Challenge last night, and the participants had to choose between eating cow brains and cow balls.  Two participants per team.  All were absolutely certain  the "right" choice was, and no one had ever had either.  Some people lamented their choices.  Some didn't.  None experienced both.

The reasoning was interesting, though.  "She's had balls in her mouth before, why would she pick brains?" Versus "do I really want to think about this day every time I put balls in my mouth in the future?"

People have different things that affect them differently in perpetuity.  Never know until it happens.

I bet you're lots of fun at parties.

Dude: HF, if you won a billion dollars what would you buy first?

HF: I've never won a billion dollars, so I can't say.

Dude: Yeah but if you did...

HF: I don't think it's fair to other billionaires for me to speculate, everyone is different.

Dude: Ok, well what are some things that you like that you can't afford now, maybe that's what you'd buy.

HF: I can't comment on how my tastes and desire may change if I knew that I was now a billionaire.  Money affects everyone differently.

Dude: If you've wanted something all your life and you have a billion dollars you're probably going to buy it, so what have you wanted all your life?

HF: How can we define want?  What is desire, really?  The desires of middle class Americans are very different than that of billionaires.  Will my previous desires even matter any more at that point?  How will my personality be different?  What other factors will come into play?  We can never truly know until it happens.

Dude:  Dude....

But it's not simple.  It's not simple at all.  And it's not the scenario repeatedly discussed wherein the "other felonies" are the same, which is the whole point of this discussion.

Would I prefer to have one crime of violence perpetrated on me rather than multiple crimes? Probably.  If we remove all other crimes from scenario two, they are equally damaging crimes in my opinion.  But I've never been subjected to them.
No, the other felonies thing is something that you've hung on to that was brought up in a totally different discussion way back on page 1 of this thread speaking specifically only to the legalities, not the morality or "horrors" of it.  Even the person that initially brought that up said that obviously there are worse kinds of rape than others, morally.

Regardless, we'll continue to play by your ridiculous pedantic rules.  At this point I'm not even sure what the point is since you're just being difficult to be difficult and you could get this overly pedantic about any obvious talking point in existence.

Guy grabs you, ties you up.  So now you have your same kidnapping or whatever other felony.  THEN he offers you the following.

HF, I can put your #### in my mouth for 2 seconds, or I can pound you from behind for 3 hours.  Option 1, option 2, or flip a coin?

First you choose.  Then answer the question that if I put that same option up as a poll, do you think the results would be 50/50 or relatively close to it?  Assume you're betting your life savings on the answer to that question.

No, the other felonies thing is something that you've hung on to that was brought up in a totally different discussion way back on page 1 of this thread speaking specifically only to the legalities, not the morality or "horrors" of it.  Even the person that initially brought that up said that obviously there are worse kinds of rape than others, morally.

Regardless, we'll continue to play by your ridiculous pedantic rules.  At this point I'm not even sure what the point is since you're just being difficult to be difficult and you could get this overly pedantic about any obvious talking point in existence.

Guy grabs you, ties you up.  So now you have your same kidnapping or whatever other felony.  THEN he offers you the following.

HF, I can put your #### in my mouth for 2 seconds, or I can pound you from behind for 3 hours.  Option 1, option 2, or flip a coin?
"You put anything in my mouth, I'm biting it off."

First you choose.  Then answer the question that if I put that same option up as a poll, do you think the results would be 50/50 or relatively close to it?  Assume you're betting your life savings on the answer to that question.
Where did you get your law degree from?

Sorry, so... exactly what I said before, then.  I don't know which would ultimately be "worse." Especially if I finished.
With all due respect, I think you're lying.

Regardless, you've once again done a fine job of dodging the second question.

If I put up a poll with the same question, and you had to wager your entire life savings that the result was either going to be close to 50/50 (within whatever the standard confidence interval is for a poll with two equal choices) or that the result was going to be outside of that conference interval range, which would you choose?  Again, life savings on the line.

With all due respect, I think you're lying.

Regardless, you've once again done a fine job of dodging the second question.

If I put up a poll with the same question, and you had to wager your entire life savings that the result was either going to be close to 50/50 (within whatever the standard confidence interval is for a poll with two equal choices) or that the result was going to be outside of that conference interval range, which would you choose?  Again, life savings on the line.
As I've repeatedly said on this board, I'm a gambling addict.  In a world where I still gamble, I'd wager my life savings on a roulette wheel.  Spoiler: I have. Not the best question for me.

If you put the poll up in a group of people who this has happened to... I really don't know what the results would be. Would you rather think about that experience every time you get a bj ever, or have been penetrated? That's a tough question.  I do wonder what the ultimate consequences would be from both.

How about this: would you wager your life savings when asking a person who has been raped if he or she would think some rapes are better than others versus "rape is rape"?

How about people who have had yachts and dead skunks? Do you think you could call that one? I know it's a similar question.

My point is whether this approach is fair and treats both sexes equally.  
Timely case on whether college tribunals are fair to male students with regard to sexual misconduct claims filed against them...

ESPN, June 9, 2016

Former Yale captain Jack Montague sues over expulsion

Former Yale basketball captain Jack Montague, who was expelled from the university after a sexual misconduct investigation, has filed a civil lawsuit against the school.

The lawsuit claims that Montague was made "Yale's poster boy for tough enforcement of its Sexual Misconduct Policies" after the university had come under criticism from the Department of Education for its response to sexual assault allegations.

Montague was expelled in February after a university investigation into an incident in October 2014 in which a woman said she had nonconsensual sex with Montague. Montague maintains that the encounter was consensual -- one of multiple sexual encounters between the two of them -- and that the woman left his room but then returned to spend the night with him.

According to the lawsuit, the Office of Civil Rights in the Department of Education issued a ruling in 2011 that Yale was "deficient in a number of areas" when it came to sufficiently responding to complaints of sexual harassment. This led the school making an example of Montague, the lawsuit claims. It argues that the woman, referred to as Jane Roe, did not want Montague punished, only counseled, but was pressured by Yale's Title IX department into filing a formal complaint.

The lawsuit, which was filed in federal court in Connecticut Thursday, actually makes its own Title IX complaint, arguing that Montague was a victim of gender inequality in that he would not have been prosecuted had he not been a man.

The lawsuits names Angela Gleason, a Yale deputy Title IX coordinator at the time of the incident, and Jason Killheffer, a senior deputy Title IX coordinator at the school at the time in question, as co-defendants.

The lawsuit asks for a jury trial and asks that the court offer relief in the form of: reinstating Montague as a student, reopening the proceedings against him, expunging complaints against him and awarding damages -- both for attorneys' costs plus interest and for punitive damages.

A Yale spokesman says the lawsuit is factually inaccurate and baseless and the university plans a vigorous defense.

Montague was expelled months before he was scheduled to graduate and before Yale's first appearance in the NCAA tournament since 1962.

HF: I don't think it's fair to other billionaires for me to speculate, everyone is different.

Dude: Ok, well what are some things that you like that you can't afford now, maybe that's what you'd buy.

HF: I can't comment on how my tastes and desire may change if I knew that I was now a billionaire.  Money affects everyone differently.

Dude: If you've wanted something all your life and you have a billion dollars you're probably going to buy it, so what have you wanted all your life?

HF: How can we define want?  What is desire, really?  The desires of middle class Americans are very different than that of billionaires.  Will my previous desires even matter any more at that point?  How will my personality be different?  What other factors will come into play?  We can never truly know until it happens.

I know.  Rape is just like winning a billion dollars.  I'm such a dork.

He's not really wrong in this awful analogy. 

I disagree with the views contained in the drummer's character witness statement in defense of Turner, but we have to remember that she's quite young.  Her views on what transpired are obviously skewed by her personal relationship with Turner, and those views will likely change as she matures.  Firing people or blacklisting them, however, because they submit testimony we disagree with potentially jeopardizes the legal process where people will now become afraid to act as witnesses or speak as candidly in legal proceedings out of fear that it will destroy their life should their testimony become public and found unpopular.
I warned of the angry mob potentially jeopardizing the legal process over one case with a light sentence, but I didn't see this #### coming....

Potential Jurors Refuse to Serve in Case Overseen by Stanford Sex Assault Trial Judge

The judge who presided over the sexual assault case against former Stanford University swimmer Brock Turner is facing backlash from potential jurors in another trial, sources within the California court system told ABC News.

Turner, 20, was sentenced to six months in prison and three years of probation by Santa Clara County Superior Court Judge Aaron Persky last week, prompting outrage from critics across the country saying the punishment was too lenient for the now-disgraced athlete who was found guilty of sexually assaulting an intoxicated, unconscious woman on campus.

The judge has been receiving abusive and threatening phone calls since then, Santa Clara Public Defender Gary Goodman told ABC News.

Now, about a dozen would-be jurors have refused to take part in a separate misdemeanor case in Palo Alto because Persky is presiding. He quietly dismissed the dissenters, who cited an unwillingness to work under him, court sources said Thursday.

I warned of the angry mob potentially jeopardizing the legal process over one case with a light sentence, but I didn't see this #### coming....

Potential Jurors Refuse to Serve in Case Overseen by Stanford Sex Assault Trial Judge

The judge who presided over the sexual assault case against former Stanford University swimmer Brock Turner is facing backlash from potential jurors in another trial, sources within the California court system told ABC News.

Turner, 20, was sentenced to six months in prison and three years of probation by Santa Clara County Superior Court Judge Aaron Persky last week, prompting outrage from critics across the country saying the punishment was too lenient for the now-disgraced athlete who was found guilty of sexually assaulting an intoxicated, unconscious woman on campus.

The judge has been receiving abusive and threatening phone calls since then, Santa Clara Public Defender Gary Goodman told ABC News.

Now, about a dozen would-be jurors have refused to take part in a separate misdemeanor case in Palo Alto because Persky is presiding. He quietly dismissed the dissenters, who cited an unwillingness to work under him, court sources said Thursday.
While the mob mentality may be going overboard, its nice to see the issue of campus rape is getting attention and, hopefully, action.  It has to be viewed as more than "the party atmosphere".  Which seems to be the way the rapist, his father, and the judge viewed his case.

While the mob mentality may be going overboard, its nice to see the issue of campus rape is getting attention and, hopefully, action.  It has to be viewed as more than "the party atmosphere".  Which seems to be the way the rapist, his father, and the judge viewed his case.
The two things are completely exclusive though. 

Users who are viewing this thread