What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Ravens Shopping Ray Lewis (1 Viewer)

fatness

Footballguy
Mike Preston's column in the Baltimore Sun (read down the page)

According to a league source, the Ravens have been sending out "feelers" to gauge the interest in Pro Bowl middle linebacker Ray Lewis. We're not talking heavy-duty stuff here, but the word was out. Teams, though, might not want to trade for a player who is on the decline, is injury prone and has three years left on his contract worth $5.5 million next season and $6.5 million in 2007 and 2008.

In 2005, Lewis wasn't happy that the Ravens failed to restructure his contract, a move that would have given him significant upfront and guaranteed money. Because of this, Lewis became isolated and no longer wanted to be the face of the Ravens. He has remained silent since leaving the Bears game on Oct. 23 with a season-ending groin and hamstring injury, but it's well-known around the Ravens' training complex that Lewis would prefer to play elsewhere next season.

The ideal situation for Lewis would be to play for a team that is close to breaking through but lacks a veteran leader that could put it over the top. It needs to be a good fit, much like tight end Shannon Sharpe was for the Ravens in 2000. If Lewis remains here, it will be interesting to see how he interacts with his teammates after the Ravens sign safety Ed Reed to a lucrative, multi-year contract this offseason. The Ravens have become believers in Lewis' backup, Bart Scott, who also will become an unrestricted free agent.

In the rest of Preston's column, he speculates that Will Demps won't be retained because of dissatisfaction with his role in the eyes of the team, McAllister is on the ropes because of uninspired play during the latter half of the season and Jamal Lewis only wants to come back if he is guaranteed 20-25 carries per game and not the reduced role he played this past season.All in all, he paints a pretty bleak picture of where the team stands with some of its most important players. Now Preston has a history of bad-mouthing the franchise, and Billick in particular, so some of his commentary must be taken with a large grain of salt. Nonetheless, J. Lewis has sold his house in Baltimore with the expectation that he won't be franchised and it is very true that McAllister had a very disappointing second half. My conclusion is that all these situations, coupled with the imminent retirement of Ogden, paint a difficult immediate future for the Ravens.

Anyone else think that the Chargers would be a nice fit for Ray Lewis? cap space, up and coming defensive team, in need of veteran leadership?

Anyone else think that the Chargers would be a nice fit for Ray Lewis? cap space, up and coming defensive team, in need of veteran leadership?
Donnie Edwards?That would be one mean LB corps. :eek:

I won't give in to the CPep comment, but Lewis in Minnesota does make some sense.

New Orleans? (Can they trade Brooks?)

As a Browns fan, I love to see the #### Birds suffer and their house is in total disarray. Now if only we could get one of those Lombardi Trophies.....

Last edited by a moderator:
Okay, I'll state a team not mentioned yet: Detroit.Marinelli and Ray would be a marriage made in heaven. The Lions are really young on defense--especially at linebacker (and wr...and...). Ray would be an instant upgrade and a stabilizing force on a unit that did show promise before injuries decimated it last year.

No surprise to me.A good friend of mine works with Rays cousin. About a month ago he told my buddy that Ray wants to be traded to Dallas or Jacksonville during the offseason. At the time he was leaning towards Jax because of the then-uncertainty of Parcells returning in Dallas. But now that he IS returning, Im betting that both teams will be in the running.You heard it here first.

No surprise to me.

A good friend of mine works with Rays cousin. About a month ago he told my buddy that Ray wants to be traded to Dallas or Jacksonville during the offseason. At the time he was leaning towards Jax because of the then-uncertainty of Parcells returning in Dallas. But now that he IS returning, Im betting that both teams will be in the running.

You heard it here first.
Why would you need Ray Lewis when you already have Dat Nguyen? :bag:

The SD LB corp is pretty strong. I think it's more probably SD would have interest in McAllister. Good thought though, because of the salary cap space.Anyone else think WAS is possible if WAS decides to jettison LaVar this offseason? Whoever he lands with could get a steal of Rodney Harrison proportions. Lewis hasn't been at his peak for awhile but he's still a great leader on defense and raises the level of play of every defensive player around him when he's happy to be there.

J. Lewis has sold his house in Baltimore with the expectation that he won't be franchised
Interesting. I would assume that he leaves Baltimore then.....So will C.Taylor be the full time guy or will they look elsewhere?

No surprise to me.

A good friend of mine works with Rays cousin. About a month ago he told my buddy that Ray wants to be traded to Dallas or Jacksonville during the offseason. At the time he was leaning towards Jax because of the then-uncertainty of Parcells returning in Dallas. But now that he IS returning, Im betting that both teams will be in the running.

You heard it here first.
Dat Nguyen had been playing hurt, was placed on IR, and may retire.Edit: Still haven't figured out if you were joking or not :unsure:

The SD LB corp is pretty strong. I think it's more probably SD would have interest in McAllister. Good thought though, because of the salary cap space.Anyone else think WAS is possible if WAS decides to jettison LaVar this offseason? Whoever he lands with could get a steal of Rodney Harrison proportions. Lewis hasn't been at his peak for awhile but he's still a great leader on defense and raises the level of play of every defensive player around him when he's happy to be there.
Washington can't play fantasy football with the salary cap forever.

Donnie Edwards?That would be one mean LB corps. :eek:

I won't give in to the CPep comment, but Lewis in Minnesota does make some sense.

New Orleans? (Can they trade Brooks?)
Randall Godfrey is considering retirement and Lewis would be an amazing replacement.

Okay, I'll state a team not mentioned yet: Detroit.

Marinelli and Ray would be a marriage made in heaven. The Lions are really young on defense--especially at linebacker (and wr...and...). Ray would be an instant upgrade and a stabilizing force on a unit that did show promise before injuries decimated it last year.
Won't Marinelli be running the "Tampa 2"? If so, he needs a MLB that excels in pass coverage and can run well. Does Ray fit that?

No surprise to me.

You heard it here first.
Dat Nguyen had been playing hurt, was placed on IR, and may retire.Edit: Still haven't figured out if you were joking or not :unsure:
I've heard this as well.

Would the Ravens be interested in Brees? The Chargers want a 1st for Brees, but a Lewis and a 2nd would probably work.

Anyone else think that the Chargers would be a nice fit for Ray Lewis?  cap space, up and coming defensive team, in need of veteran leadership?
The Redskins are not a good fit. The defense is made up of mostly no-name players who play Gregg Williams' system very well. LaVar Arrington was benched and later, a role player as he was slowly figuring out Williams' system. Why would the Redskins look for another high priced LB when they can plug in a no-name and get close to the same results?If the Redskins go for any high priced free agents/additions on D, it will probably be DL, and maybe CB since Shawn Springs, Walt Harris, and Carlos Rodgers all looked a little injury prone during the season.

Arrington is not Ray Lewis.I don't think there's an NFL team that wouldn't want the guy. Only prob is $

Okay, I'll state a team not mentioned yet: Detroit.

Marinelli and Ray would be a marriage made in heaven. The Lions are really young on defense--especially at linebacker (and wr...and...). Ray would be an instant upgrade and a stabilizing force on a unit that did show promise before injuries decimated it last year.
Won't Marinelli be running the "Tampa 2"? If so, he needs a MLB that excels in pass coverage and can run well. Does Ray fit that?
He did, I'm not sure if his injury will hurt him here, but a year or two ago Ray was one of the quicker MLBs and good in coverage. Easily better than Lehman or Holmes. But the draft may yield options that fit better.

Arrington is not Ray Lewis.

I don't think there's an NFL team that wouldn't want the guy. Only prob is $
Does Ray Lewis....- play his role and not get out of position?

- does whatever is asked of him?

- not make stupid mistakes?

- have a low/moderate salary?

In general, these are they types of guys Gregg Williams and Joe Gibbs is getting for the defense, although some of them are paid pretty well. I am sure that Ray Lewis does not have a moderate salary

Does Ray Lewis....- play his role and not get out of position?

- does whatever is asked of him?

- not make stupid mistakes?

- have a low/moderate salary?

In general, these are they types of guys Gregg Williams and Joe Gibbs is getting for the defense, although some of them are paid pretty well. I am sure that Ray Lewis does not have a moderate salary
Part of the problem right now is that he's asking for a redo of his current contract with some pretty heavy upfront money.

Would the Ravens be interested in Brees? 
aahhh.........yeah!make no mistake, Ray can stil play--it just won't be here

he is less than inspired at this point, as he feels Boller gives the team zero chance to win...he bugged outta here late November "to rehab" the hammy in Miami--speculation was he was finished, not for the season, but forever here

IMO, there are several "prominent" names that won't be around here next season, as the team likely sheds a few of the malcontents and gets alot younger as they did in '03----a season that had the 3rd youngest team in NFL history go 7-7 thru 14 games and in playoff contention right to the end of the season...

...something this bunch of knuckleheads came nowhere near achieving

Denver, Miami, NYJ, Chicago, Jacksonville. Maybe Seattle.

WOuld the Patriots go for a guy like him? Talk about a hell of a descision, but he is a very good ILB and we have OLBs playing inside when they should be playing outside.

WOuld the Patriots go for a guy like him? Talk about a hell of a descision, but he is a very good ILB and we have OLBs playing inside when they should be playing outside.
Ray would be a good fit for the Pats, but at a cut rate price.Ray is getting old and can`t stay healthy.

Wow,this is what the Colts need. A team leader,a motivator,a guy with a killer instinct..lol Forget Wayne and Edge and sign Lewis. Maybe he can light a fire under Manning ### before their next playoff game..PL..PL..Playoffs? :popcorn:

You dont think he would be a great fit in Indy.I dont know about the cap , but he could give them something they dont have ( Character and Leadership ) Manning- Harrison are no leaders, maybe James but even him i dont think he is such a leader.

Denver, Miami, NYJ, Chicago, Jacksonville. Maybe Seattle.
IMO, and to each his own, you don't pass up a chance at a hall of famer.Of course none of us are GMs and he's not in the hall yet but I do feel that if money were not an issue, every team would want him. It IS an issue in the NFL so I was just chit-chattin'

IMO Ray has been lucky throughout his career and had some excellent LBers to play with him. And all in all, talent wise, he's been on one of the better Ds most of his career too. I wonder how he'd react to lesser talent around him.

Love him or hate him, injury prone or not, on the decline or not, you cannot help but respect his leadership and what he brings to the table. I'd LOVE to have him on my team. The only thing I think that would hold teams back is the $$, unless Ray Ray is willing to redo it. Also, if the Ravens ask for something ridiculous for him, too...

My bet is on Minnesota as the destination for Ray Lewis. Minnesota has the salary cap room and their LB corps could use some improvement. Please tell me who is the leader for that overrated Vikings defense??? Ray could fulfill the leadership role as well.

You dont think he would be a great fit in Indy.

I dont know about the cap , but he could give them something they dont have

( Character and Leadership ) Manning- Harrison are no leaders, maybe James but even him i dont think he is such a leader.
Ray Lewis....... Character?.........that one made me laugh.Besides, I don't think Tony Dungy (or Polian for that matter) is the type of guy to put up with Ray Lewis' antics and stupid "look at me chicken dance" before every game. (can't stand his showboat antics)

To go to indy and a possible super bowl contender, Ray would have to cut more than his salary........

You dont think he would be a great fit in Indy.

I dont know about the cap , but he could give them something they dont have

( Character and Leadership ) Manning- Harrison are no leaders, maybe James but even him i dont think he is such a leader.
Ray Lewis....... Character?.........that one made me laugh.Besides, I don't think Tony Dungy (or Polian for that matter) is the type of guy to put up with Ray Lewis' antics and stupid "look at me chicken dance" before every game. (can't stand his showboat antics)

To go to indy and a possible super bowl contender, Ray would have to cut more than his salary........
If Dungy could put up with Sapp then he can handle Ray Lewis. Ray in Indy would be a great place for him to finish. Sure he's rehabilitated his image, but team him up with Peyton and America would love him all over again. The loss in NFL salary would be made up in new endorsement deals. The idea of a Baltimore legend coming to rescue the former Baltimore Colts appeals to me......which is why it won't happen.Here's a thought: Re-sign Edge, re-sign Wayne, re-sign Freeney, trade for Lewis, and draft another LB. If 2007 is an uncapped year, then this is all possible. Far-fetched? Sure, but this could be part of the conspiracy that Porter was ranting about.

The chicken dance was goon when Ray could play and back it up. now he just looks like a fool doing it.

Anyone else think that the Chargers would be a nice fit for Ray Lewis?  cap space, up and coming defensive team, in need of veteran leadership?
Randall Godfrey, Steve Foley, and Donnie Edwards are all talented vets and Shawne Merriman and Shaun Philips are both great young talents. They need to fill the DB and OL positions first. Even if they went LB I think they would do it in the draft. Odds are that one or two of the vets retire in the next three years. They don't need someone like Lewis right now.

I bet Marvin Lewis is foaming at the mouth. I do honestly think the Bengals need to move to the 3-4. Add Ray to Odell, Pollack and Simmons. Then draft a huge DT and there we go!If only I owned the Bengals.

Users who are viewing this thread