What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Ray Rice expected to start for Ravens this week (1 Viewer)

gbill2004

Footballguy
Based on this, what do you expect from Ray Rice this season? Will he start all year?

Ravens beat writer Mike Preston guesses that Ray Rice will start in the Ravens' three-man committee this week.Preston believes that Rice could be Baltimore's feature back of the future, but also says that among the three (also Willis McGahee), only LeRon McClain is built to be a 25-30 carry runner. The Ravens are going to run it a lot going forward and the plan is to let all three guys "complement" each other. Source: Baltimore Sun

The "25-30 carry runner" thing is kind of disingenuous. 400-carry seasons are fairly rare ... and after a certain point, extra pounds of bodyweight doesn't necessarily protect someone from injury (see Deuce McAllister).

Of all the things I've read from this beat writer, this seems to hurt his credibility the most. McGahee has proven that he can be a full time RB. McClain's build doesn't translate into being a full time RB without seeing how he performs in extended situations. I'm not saying that we should totally discredit this writer, but he's starting to go a bit overboard.

Be careful taking anything Mike Preston says to heart. I'm not saying he's wrong in this case, but he tends to state what he thinks should happen as fact. He's a columnist, not a beat writer.

That said, I look for the Ravens to ease Willis into the game & see how he does. If he looks like he's handling things well, he'll get a good amount of carries; if not, he won't. Anyway, I wouldn't put too much stock in who "starts", as one of the 3 who doesn't could very well get as many carries.

Of all the things I've read from this beat writer, this seems to hurt his credibility the most. McGahee has proven that he can be a full time RB. McClain's build doesn't translate into being a full time RB without seeing how he performs in extended situations. I'm not saying that we should totally discredit this writer, but he's starting to go a bit overboard.
i agree

i agree
:mellow:

A lot of factors converging here to make me believe that Rice should be in line for ~15 touches tomorrow. Against Cleveland, I think that is worth something.

Weak RB2 or good RB3 for those of us with gimpy RB options.

I wasn't patient enough to wait on McGahee, for good reason as evidenced by the coaches statements. Traded him and R Rice for K Warner. C Palmer has been killing me.

McGahee hasn't played in a game so far this season, and that includes preseason. I don't think it's odd that the Ravens want to work him in right now.

Users who are viewing this thread