What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

RB Alexander Mattison, LV (3 Viewers)

Who rolling him out tonight with a chance Cook is back? :popcorn:
I think folks would be wise to wait and see what the pregame chatter is. I could see Schefter or the like saying pre-game warm ups look rough, pitch count for Cook, inactive 90 minutes prior, all those things are in play. What I would be looking for which seems like a long shot is watching Cook bounce around care free in warm ups and Ian takes to Twitter that Cook is good to go and can handle 20 carries tonight if need be...that's the kind fo thing you gotta be on the look out for. 

Otherwise unless you have lots of options, not sure how Mattison owners can just toss him back up like an Elf on a Shelf. 

Who rolling him out tonight with a chance Cook is back? :popcorn:

I drafted CMC & Gus Edwards, I've been thin at RB all year, I think I'm rolling him out no matter what. I've been riding the waivers all year and hopefully my opponent ends this misery for me this weekend. 

To give you an idea of where I have him in PPR, I think I'm going with him over MVS, Julio Jones, Golladay (all on the waivers) regardless of Cook. 

I think folks would be wise to wait and see what the pregame chatter is. I could see Schefter or the like saying pre-game warm ups look rough, pitch count for Cook, inactive 90 minutes prior, all those things are in play. What I would be looking for which seems like a long shot is watching Cook bounce around care free in warm ups and Ian takes to Twitter that Cook is good to go and can handle 20 carries tonight if need be...that's the kind fo thing you gotta be on the look out for. 

Otherwise unless you have lots of options, not sure how Mattison owners can just toss him back up like an Elf on a Shelf. 
I agree 100%. I took him out of the lineup earlier today but plan on listening to the inactives, etc. If history is any indication of usage I don't anticipate starting him if Cook is active.

I drafted CMC & Gus Edwards, I've been thin at RB all year, I think I'm rolling him out no matter what. I've been riding the waivers all year and hopefully my opponent ends this misery for me this weekend. 

To give you an idea of where I have him in PPR, I think I'm going with him over MVS, Julio Jones, Golladay (all on the waivers) regardless of Cook. 

19 targets the last 2 weeks and then went on a Bye and everyone forgot about him, has some immunized QB with a bum toe/foot/hoof and yet has some arm on him and i hear good things when he connects with other receivers on that team. Cobb is OUT from what I had been reading and there isn't a lot of options since they don't throw to Aaron Jones any more. 

:stirspot:

I just heard on NFLN that he took all 1st team reps in practice, has full strength and range of motion in that shoulder, and barring some unforeseen setback in warmups will be good to go.

He's in my lineup (over Mattison) and staying there unless something crazy happens in pregame.

I agree 100%. I took him out of the lineup earlier today but plan on listening to the inactives, etc. If history is any indication of usage I don't anticipate starting him if Cook is active.
agreed - I almost start Henderson last week until the late word came that he would be active but not involved.....plan on watching the wire and make the call a few minutes before kickoff

I just heard on NFLN that he took all 1st team reps in practice, has full strength and range of motion in that shoulder, and barring some unforeseen setback in warmups will be good to go.

He's in my lineup (over Mattison) and staying there unless something crazy happens in pregame.
It seems very unlikely that he took ALL the first team reps, given he was listed as Limited both Tuesday and Wednesday.  Unless there weren't many first team reps to take because they limited the practice for some reason.

Mattison back to the bench.  Some may still flex him and hope.  Don’t trust them…they seem to give Cook the carries even when dinged up.  

Mattison back to the bench.  Some may still flex him and hope.  Don’t trust them…they seem to give Cook the carries even when dinged up.  

Fully with you. Vikes don't split carries... playing Mattison would be hoping for something bad to happen to Cook (not saying that can't happen... but risking a 0).

Vikings placed Alexander Mattison on the reserve/COVID-19 list.

Minnesota claimed Wayne Gallman off waivers to replace Mattison for now. Once Gallman is up to speed, Kene Nwangwu, who has struggled to earn many reps as a rookie, will slot in behind him as the team's RB3. Dalvin Cook returned to the lineup last week and blew the doors off Pittsburgh's defense. He turned 27 carries into 205 yards, ceding just six rushed to Mattison. Cook remains the only usable fantasy option from this backfield.  

SOURCE: Chris Tomasson on Twitter

Dec 13, 2021, 5:29 PM ET

Interesting. As a Cook owner who missed on Mattison. This has me thinking about adding Ty Chandler.

Washington? Philly? He’s a good player, but you’d assume he’d want to go start somewhere.
Good find. This is what I was referring to in the handcuff thread that it seems like Mattison may not be the handcuff that we've thought of the past few years. Seems like the new staff may not be a huge fan of Mattison. I'm also going to try to get Chandler late.

I'm really curious who the backup will be. I've been hearing good arguments for both guys... Could be value in moving early on the handcuff before a potential trade happens.

Interesting. As a Cook owner who missed on Mattison. This has me thinking about adding Ty Chandler.

Washington? Philly? He’s a good player, but you’d assume he’d want to go start somewhere.
Good find. This is what I was referring to in the handcuff thread that it seems like Mattison may not be the handcuff that we've thought of the past few years. Seems like the new staff may not be a huge fan of Mattison. I'm also going to try to get Chandler late.
In this scenario, is Chandler the guy to go get or is it Nwangwu?

In this scenario, is Chandler the guy to go get or is it Nwangwu?
Good question. I am thinking Chandler, but I could be wrong. Haven't done a lot of research here.

Philly, Dallas, Washington would now seem like a potential candidate
The Rams(uh oh), The Chiefs(Gulp!), The Ravens, The Bills, The Phins
Think of the 12 teams that might be calling the Minnesota Vikings right now trying to turn your FF roster inside out!
Cocktails anyone?

MOP, any input on where this puts his ADP, or more specifically where his fantasy value is? Worth drafting for a wait and see, Cook owner here, timing sucks as I was about to grab him, I had heard rumblings of a trade weeks ago so I've been watching closely. It's difficult to answer as we don't know if he'll be the starter or back up if he's traded. TY.

Washington, Rams, Chiefs Philly probably in that order are likely to go after Mattison. I am tempted to throw Seattle in the mix but I would probably say they they will not go after him.

I want the Vikings to run the risk and take almost anything for him in terms of a draft pick. Maybe I am overvaluing the use of the extra roster spot for better depth elsewhere. IMO, It is better that the Vikings carry 4 RBs (including Ham) rather than 5. I would rather have them protect the younger cheaper RB talent at this point.

MOP, any input on where this puts his ADP, or more specifically where his fantasy value is? Worth drafting for a wait and see, Cook owner here, timing sucks as I was about to grab him, I had heard rumblings of a trade weeks ago so I've been watching closely. It's difficult to answer as we don't know if he'll be the starter or back up if he's traded. TY.
I had a draft last night and wished I had grabbed Mattison now. Not sure if the 12 teams calling is a ruse or not but the likelihood for him to be moved makes perfect sense and new head coach that wants to start putting draft picks together for next year.

Mattison was almost the last RB taken in our league, he went one pick before I took Spiller and I had even thought he was on the trade blocks I would have gotten him earlier. I think wherever he lands it will take a few weeks to get up and running and then it's going to wreck havoc on whoever the current starter on that team is.

Take Miami as an example...I would see Chase-Mattison-Mostert and they would be cutting Michel and Gaskin as an example. That might not be exciting to FF players and I have Chase already but as an NFL fan I would love it.

I had a draft last night and wished I had grabbed Mattison now. Not sure if the 12 teams calling is a ruse or not but the likelihood for him to be moved makes perfect sense and new head coach that wants to start putting draft picks together for next year.

Mattison was almost the last RB taken in our league, he went one pick before I took Spiller and I had even thought he was on the trade blocks I would have gotten him earlier. I think wherever he lands it will take a few weeks to get up and running and then it's going to wreck havoc on whoever the current starter on that team is.

Take Miami as an example...I would see Chase-Mattison-Mostert and they would be cutting Michel and Gaskin as an example. That might not be exciting to FF players and I have Chase already but as an NFL fan I would love it.
NICE! I happen to have Chase too. Thank you.

Alexander Mattison rushed eight times for 36 yards in the Vikings' Week 1 win over the Packers.

Mattison was the only running back on the roster other than Dalvin Cook to see any carries or targets. He doesn't have any standalone value, but his Week 1 showing makes it clear he remains one of the premier backups for fantasy purposes. Should Cook miss any time, Mattison will inherit the bulk of his role. Mattison should be rostered in all formats.

- NBCSportsEDGE

Is Mattison still the 100% undisputed plug and play for Dalvin Cook if he goes down? Or does new OC Wes Phillips see it differently?

In the first two games, Mattison was the only Vikings RB to get carries besides Cook, so I'm going to assume he's still the handcuff (one of the top three handcuffs in fantasy), but do any of you Mattison dynasty owners know differently?

Alexander Mattison rushed seven times for 28 yards and a touchdown, adding one reception for 16 yards on one target in the Vikings' Week 3 win over the Lions.​

Mattison got in the end zone on a nice 6-yard run. He most likely would not have been in the game, but Dalvin Cook injured his shoulder after fumbling in the third quarter. Cook is not expected to miss Week 4, but Madison needs to be rostered everywhere. Cook has dealt with shoulder issues in the past and it's possible that today's injury ultimately causes him to miss additional time. With receiving ability and contingent goal line value, Mattison is arguably the most valuable handcuff in fantasy football.
Sep 25, 2022, 6:32 PM ET

What color jersey will he be wearing later in the week?

:whistle:
Purple
Or maybe Blue and Yellow
Why would they hold on to him in Minnesota when they are going to lose him after the season.
Playoff potential, lighten the load on Cook if they secure Playoffs early?
I can't understand why they would keep him vs a decent draft pick if they can get it.
He's a proven,capable insurance policy for Cook. They are a playoff team and would not suffer a big drop off if Cook goes down.

Alexander Mattison had two rushes for one yard and caught his lone target for zero yards in the Vikings' Week 9 win against the Commanders.

Dalvin Cook again dominated backfield touches for the Vikings and saved his fantasy day on a touchdown catch in the second half. Mattison remains one of fantasy's most valuable contingency RB options.

- NBCSportsEDGE

Why would they hold on to him in Minnesota when they are going to lose him after the season.
I can't understand why they would keep him vs a decent draft pick if they can get it.
Because they’re 7-1 and the running game is a big part of what they do. This isn’t fantasy football.

Because they’re 7-1 and the running game is a big part of what they do. This isn’t fantasy football.
No doubt but there were rumors and teams wanting Mattison from the Vikes before the season started. I'm a little surprised they didn't want to receive a draft pick vs an expiring contract

Don't teams still recoup a draft pick if guys leave after their rookie deals and sign contracts on other teams? Draft picks get added end of the 3rd Rd?

I'm a little surprised they didn't want to receive a draft pick vs an expiring contract
I think them advancing as far as they can this season where things are going their way is more important than a 3rd or 4th round pick.
And yes they may get a comp pick anyway if he leaves
I'm not able to be as unbiased as you, I wish I could but I don't have faith in Cousins or the Vikings in the Playoffs.
Imagine they go 14-3 or something close, No 2 Seed, I won't slide them ahead of Philly but they could seize the 1-seed if Philly stumbles a couple weeks
Now you send Dallas let's say to Tampa assuming the Bucs can actually make it, then maybe Seattle taking the West, they might host a game as well, if not them let's say SF goes on a tear down the strength and you know where I'm going with all this.

Vikes could be hosting the Bucs for their Division round and if not them, how about San Fran? I see them as a potential 1 and done after all this "You like that" stuff.

There's a much a larger discussion I'd like to have with the Shark Pool about RBs specifically and the way they are used and that terrible 2nd contract that seems to blow up in teams faces after they ink an extension to the elite RBs. Totally separate issue but I feel it's a no win situation for the RBs right now, almost a "Dead End" position. Mattison will not get the chance to post up some decent numbers his last remaining year on his rookie deal. He might get.a little money because there is a market for him but I doubt he gets inked to anything close to say 4 yr/$20M+, that's not a huge contract for vets but a lot of teams would prefer a rookie RB in the 4th rd on a 4 yr rookie deal and work them in slowly at RB2/3 and then maybe in Year 2 you exploit them more with a lot more touches knowing you will never likely extend that running back

It's just so irritating IMO and I don't see a lot of media people discussing this much. The RB position has almost become an obstacle for some teams the way they have their personnel designed and depth charts. I think some teams would throw every down if they could. When RBs have single digit totals on rushing attempts and still lead the team, maybe that's the game plan anyways.

-Let me land this another way, outstanding job by both the Jets to go get Robinson while they were in need and not just shrug off the season, and I think Miami filled a major gap in their RB corp with Wilson coming on board and I agree with you, Wilson is not a FF darling, he just is really good for the Miami Dolphins right now, his pass blocking on Sunday to allow Tua all that time to deliver perfect throws, doesn't come out in the stats but you can see it on film.

It was definitely the right move for Minnesota to keep him in case Cook is unavailable for any length of time. It's obvious now as we drift further away from the deadline and maybe this right here is why teams tend to pass on a lot of trades they could make.

Why I have to make such lengthy posts to answer and say you were correct in siding with the Vikings, in hindsight I can see you are definitely right, it was a good move on their part to stay with what they have this season. 👍

as I dealt for him in dynasty on a rebuilding team, I’m kinda happy they didn’t deal Mattison.

Keep him nice and fresh on the bench, wrap him in bubble wrap & stay healthy for 2023 when he can go to a team where he can run and run free as the RB1.
:wub:

I’ve seen an awful lot of people trashing Mattison this year, claiming he can’t fill in for cook as the lead back. Sure looked awfully good today.

The playoffs might just be his audition for free agency. He’s still young, and I think he’s going to be a very good feature back for some team in 2023..

Last edited:
I’ve seen an awful lot of people trashing Madison this year, claiming he can’t fill in for cook as the lead back. Sure looked awfully good today.

The playoffs might just be his audition for free agency. He’s still young, and I think he’s going to be a very good feature back for some team in 2023..

I think featured back is a reach...being a legit part of an RBBC is probably more realistic.

It feels like a lot of long-time “next in line” FF managers just ran out of patience waiting for Cook to get hurt.

Now that he’s about to be a FA, with that in mind he could be a value buy from a frustrated owner. That’s how I landed him this year.

Alexander Mattison rushed zero times, adding one reception for two yards on one target in the Vikings' Wild Card Round loss to the Giants.

Mattison heads into unrestricted free agency. He has operated as a reliable backup to Dalvin Cook in Minnesota, but it's possible another team views him as more of a committee option. If so, he could be an interesting early double-digit round pick. Alternatively, if he returns as the clear handcuff to Dalvin Cook, he will also be worth an early double-digit round pick.

- NBCSportsEDGE

Vikings re-signed RB Alexander Mattison to a two-year, $7 million contract.​

The return of Mattison could further stoke the Dalvin Cook trade rumors. Cook has reportedly drawn interest from multiple teams over the last several days and would be a contract the cap-strapped Vikings would like to dump if possible. A lifelong Viking, Mattison has rushed for 404-1670-11 since being drafted by the Vikings in 2019 and has three 100-yard rushing performances to his name. He'd be in the conversation as a high-end RB2 if he were to enter 2023 as Minnesota's lead back.
RELATED:
SOURCE: Tom Pelissero on Twitter
Mar 15, 2023, 9:02 PM ET

Users who are viewing this thread