What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

RB Alexander Mattison, LV (1 Viewer)

Top-10 seems very optimistic. I think if you go in expecting an average RB2 season out of Mattison you should be happy with your return. RB20 or so sounds right as an unproven RB who has had some success, Mattison seems to fit in the Dobbins/Pierce range to me.
I think that's about right. Now any of those RB's you mentioned could in fact end up in the top 10, but I think that's the range he should be valued/drafted.

Cook's numbers dipped too but not nearly to the extent of Mattison, which I think leads credence to the theory that Cook is a much better RB who can to some extent outplay his situation, while Mattison's production is pretty much completely dictated by his situation
I don't know about this, most of the analytics I've seen suggest Mattison out performed Cook last year.

:goodposting:

Cook's numbers dipped too but not nearly to the extent of Mattison, which I think leads credence to the theory that Cook is a much better RB who can to some extent outplay his situation, while Mattison's production is pretty much completely dictated by his situation
I don't know about this, most of the analytics I've seen suggest Mattison out performed Cook last year.

This was in regards to the dropoff of Mattison's YPC to 3.7 and 3.8 the last two years which, frankly, is awful in the modern NFL. It was noted that Cook's dropped as well, but 4.4 and 4.7 ypc in the last two years is not nearly the same.

Perhaps he just needs volume to be better, I don't know.
ypc on small sample sizes (and yes those individual seasons would be small sample sizes) isn’t always as meaningful as they seem.

If one defender falls allowing a long run somewhere in there is he all of a sudden a better RB?

I’m not saying it’s completely meaningless - but both Cook and Mattison saw their ypc drop the last two seasons - meaning it could be an oline or playcalling issue. Maybe those things don’t change maybe they do.

When watching games I never noticed much of a drop off, if any, when Mattison was out there and they’ve clearly shown they believe in him. While Cook was still there they changes their social media banners to feature Jefferson and Mattison.

I expect to see whichever backup wins the job, Chandler or McBride, to see more of a role than what Mattison got when Cook was healthy - meaning some kind of split, but Mattison should easily be able to put up RB2 numbers in this offense.

I don't think the theory is that Mattison has necessarily gotten worse, just that it's looking much more likely that he was always a JAG in the first place that looked good in limited action because he was in one of the most RB friendly systems in the NFL. A system that no longer exists in Minnesota.

Cook's numbers dipped too but not nearly to the extent of Mattison, which I think leads credence to the theory that Cook is a much better RB who can to some extent outplay his situation, while Mattison's production is pretty much completely dictated by his situation.

FWIW I'm also not sure I would consider 164 touches in a season to be a particularly "small sample size" in the NFL these days.

I agree that he can put up RB2 numbers in this situation, which is true of virtually any RB that is in line to get the bulk of the work in an offense. But those are the guys that are often replaced in their offense sooner rather than later, though I will admit I approach everything from a dynasty perspective these days so if people are thinking purely redraft that changes things.
We’ll disagree about sample sizes as to ypc, but I’m not going to disagree with most of what you said,
Personally I don’t see that much of a drop off from Cook to Mattison in games I’ve watched - but it’s hard to argue Cook wasn’t a better talent.

This was in regards to the dropoff of Mattison's YPC to 3.7 and 3.8 the last two years which, frankly, is awful in the modern NFL. It was noted that Cook's dropped as well, but 4.4 and 4.7 ypc in the last two years is not nearly the same.

FWIW, PFF rushing grades:
  • 2022 (ranks among 144 graded HBs): Mattison 84.2, #18; Cook 72.4, #62
  • 2021 (ranks among 147 graded HBs): Mattison 61.5, #107; Cook 68.8, #60
  • 2020 (ranks among 142 graded HBs): Cook 90.2, #2; Mattison 81.1, #16
  • 2019 (ranks among 130 graded HBs): Cook 79.8, tied for #11; Mattison 69.2, #50
2021 looks like an outlier. I don't follow the Vikings, so not sure if he was battling through injuries or if there was any other reason, but these grades make it appear he rebounded in 2022.

Top-10 seems very optimistic. I think if you go in expecting an average RB2 season out of Mattison you should be happy with your return. RB20 or so sounds right as an unproven RB who has had some success, Mattison seems to fit in the Dobbins/Pierce range to me.

I agree with this. His absolute ceiling is probably rb 6ish and that is if he has Jamal Williams touchdown luck. He should be a solid rb2 and he is still going later than a lot of those guys like Dobbins, Pierce, White etc.

Traded Mattison & pick 1.03 for the 1.02 (dynasty rookie draft).
Why would you do that? Assuming 1qb, I would be happy staying at 1.3 and taking either JSN or Gibbs. If Superflex I would be happy with one of Bijan, Young, or Richardson.
Gibbs has been the 2nd pick in a lot of drafts and I wanted him. He would not have fallen to 3rd. 1 QB ppr/flex league.
I think Mattison is going to be decent (mid RB2), but I think Gibbs is going to be special.

Why would you do that? Assuming 1qb, I would be happy staying at 1.3 and taking either JSN or Gibbs. If Superflex I would be happy with one of Bijan, Young, or Richardson.
Gibbs has been the 2nd pick in a lot of drafts and I wanted him. He would not have fallen to 3rd. 1 QB ppr/flex league.
I think Mattison is going to be decent (mid RB2), but I think Gibbs is going to be special.
I made sure I took JSN over Gibbs in one league and was glad he fell to me in another.

think if you go in expecting an average RB2 season out of Mattison you should be happy with your return.
That’s exactly what I’m expecting.
RB18-22-ish
I currently have him at RB16 but could see him moving up or down a few slots as more info comes out in training camp.
TDs will have a lot to do with it, IMO.

And he will get them bigtime
I’m still trying to sell high

I'm late to this thread. Has anybody posted that thru 2 different coaching regimes A Mattison was
relegated to a backup role when D Cook came back healthy?

I consider RBBC to be a 60/40 split and in the 4 years it's 1075 carries vs 404.
Mattison got significant carries in 2021 when D Cook was hurt. Take out 2021 and it's
826 vs 270. That's a 70/30 split which is what it was in 2022.

Again, I like Mattison, but this gave me concerns.

I'm late to this thread. Has anybody posted that thru 2 different coaching regimes A Mattison was

I consider RBBC to be a 60/40 split and in the 4 years it's 1075 carries vs 404.
Mattison got significant carries in 2021 when D Cook was hurt. Take out 2021 and it's

what if I told you D Cook was no longer on the team

what if I told you D Cook was no longer on the team
That nothing is certain until the Vikings SHOW otherwise. We won't know this until the start of the season.
What they plan for and say is noise.

K cousins was 3rd in attempts but 18th in yards per attempt. I doubt that stays the same just as the
running game doesn't.

I like that deal personally, but I'm pretty gung-ho on Gibbs. Fully expecting a top-15 season this year, with upside for a lot more. Long term, I see an Ekeler-like ceiling, which Mattison can't even dream about, and while I like JSN, there is a very real possibility he's never a #1 WR based on where he went.

There is also a very real possibility that Mattison is just a 1-year starter. He's a bet on opportunity, not talent, and that's always a little unstable.

I’d easily make that move as well to secure Gibbs.

I love trading with those that think this way. I’d much rather have JSN and Mattison over Gibbs. But then again I’d rather have JSN over Gibbs.

I love trading with those that think this way. I’d much rather have JSN and Mattison over Gibbs. But then again I’d rather have JSN over Gibbs.
I like JSN quite a bit but I can see a scenario where Gibbs is unanimously top 3 at his position as early as next season. I can’t see the same nearly as easily for JSN.

I like JSN quite a bit but I can see a scenario where Gibbs is unanimously top 3 at his position as early as next season. I can’t see the same nearly as easily for JSN.
Reminds me of Walker vs Wilson last year. Most (including myself) took Walker over Wilson as Wilson had a crappy QB and Walker only had Penny to surpass to become the next high ranking dynasty RB. Then the trade of A-Rod happened then the draft happened. Things change fast in the NFL.
I have made the mistake before of letting ADP/what people say change who I am going to draft in the past and it has haunted me more often than not.
I was all set to take JSN at 2 this year in all my leagues but changed to taking Gibbs in the 2 in the FFPC. We will see in a year or two if this is another Walker/Wilson situation though the draft capital of Gibbs is the one difference.
In 2020 remember all those RB's all went ahead of Jefferson in nearly all drafts and over Lamb in a lot of them as well I had 1 draft that went
1- CEH, 2- JK, 3 - Taylor, 4-Akers, 5-Swift, 6-Lamb, 7-Jeudy, 8-Ruggs, 9-Jefferson.

Last edited:
I can see a situation where Gibbs is used like the Lions wanted Swfit to be and that includes a lot of RBBC.

I can see a situation where Gibbs is used like the Lions wanted Swfit to be and that includes a lot of RBBC.
There should be no doubt it's going to be a RBBC and for Gibbs sake there should should no concern over this.

There should be no doubt it's going to be a RBBC and for Gibbs sake there should should no concern over this.
Why is that? I wouldn’t want that worry for the 2nd overall pick in the rookie draft. He better catch a hell of a lot of passes then.

Why is that? I wouldn’t want that worry for the 2nd overall pick in the rookie draft.
Because as the pass catching back in a committee and with big play ability as a runner he’ll be very valuable in fantasy without needing a heavy workload.

Also 90% of the league is now RBBC really - within that reality some back will still rise to the top in fantasy. Gibbs has that type of talent.

Why is that? I wouldn’t want that worry for the 2nd overall pick in the rookie draft.
Because as the pass catching back in a committee and with big play ability as a runner he’ll be very valuable in fantasy without needing a heavy workload.

Also 90% of the league is now RBBC really - within that reality some back will still rise to the top in fantasy. Gibbs has that type of talent.
I doubt he gets goal line carries, or even carries inside the 10, just like Swift, so he better do his damage inside the 20s.

Why is that? I wouldn’t want that worry for the 2nd overall pick in the rookie draft. He better catch a hell of a lot of passes then.
Well for starters you just referenced a guy in Swift who was a part time RB in this offense who has averaged close to 15 fantasy points a game in his career in this offense and he was a disappointment to them.

And he will be catching a hell of a lot of passes.

I doubt he gets goal line Carrie’s, or even Carrie’s inside the 10, just like Swift, so he better do his damage inside the 20s.
I don’t disagree that he likely won’t see the majority of GL carries (But Swift did get some).
I don’t see him as a big TD guy but 5-6 on the ground and 4-5 receiving doesn’t seem unreasonable.

Well for starters you just referenced a guy in Swift who was a part time RB in this offense who has averaged close to 15 fantasy points a game in his career in this offense and he was a disappointment to them.

And he will be catching a hell of a lot of passes.
Just saying the work that Williams got last year and the TDS he got does damage the other RBs. They have other RBs that can replicate that.

I doubt he gets goal line Carrie’s, or even Carrie’s inside the 10, just like Swift, so he better do his damage inside the 20s.
I don’t disagree that he likely won’t see the majority of GL carries (But Swift did get some).
I don’t see him as a big TD guy but 5-6 on the ground and 4-5 receiving doesn’t seem unreasonable.
It goes beyond GL carries. More like RZ carries.

Back to Mattison for dynasty I would put him in the same class/value as a Rachaad White. Similar age, the starter now, based on what I currently know not someone I'd go into next off-season feeling overly confident about holding onto that role.

The two dynasty leagues I have Mattison I am deep to extremely deep at RB and I am for sure exploring trades, he'll probably help someone else more then my teams.

Ok - not sure if that changes what I said. I don’t agree though that he won’t be used inside the 20 - that seems a bit extreme as a stance.

FWIW Mike Clay forecast him for 7 TD's rushing, 9 total.

He probably won't be the primary goal line RB but I think it's false thinking that he won't be playing in a lot of goal line/red zone packages. He'll be scoring TD's from inside the 5 next year.

Ok - not sure if that changes what I said. I don’t agree though that he won’t be used inside the 20 - that seems a bit extreme as a stance.
I suppose my stance is that the Lions have a plan for Gibbs and it might not always benefit his fantasy value.

He probably won't be the primary goal line RB but I think it's false thinking that he won't be playing in a lot of goal line/red zone packages. He'll be scoring TD's from inside the 5 next year.
Only as a pass catcher IMO.

I suppose my stance is that the Lions have a plan for Gibbs and it might not always benefit his fantasy value.
That’s funny because their plan - high passing game usage - is why I think he will have fantasy value.

Only as a pass catcher IMO.
I don't think that opinion is going to hold up.

That’s funny because their plan - high passing game usage - is why I think he will have fantasy value.
I don’t doubt he will have fantasy value, it’s how much I’d be worried about.

I would like to see a stat of how many long runs he has had that have been called back due to holding.

Seems like every time I watch him play that happens.
that’s every RB though.

I know. but I feel like he has a higher percentage of long runs brought back compared to others. It’s an odd stat but I’d be interested to see it.
Is there any proof of this?

That’s what I’d like to find out.

Users who are viewing this thread