What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

RB Cam Akers, MIN (2 Viewers)

So glad I didn't sell dump him for pennies on the dollar like some mentioned in this thread.  No RB has ever come back from a torn achillies some said despite the small sample size for RB's Cam age and ability, usually that injury happens on the backside of their careers.  Anyways he's not 100% but considering the injury and rust factor looked damn good last night.  Excited to see what he can do the rest of the playoffs and more important for us fantasy players, next season.  

Not sure who’s injury was more severe but maybe this gives some hope for James Robinson owners too. 
Achilles injuries are starting to look like ACL tears with current medical advances. Good news for athletes, and JR. He's just gotta attack the rehab like Cam did. 

Last edited by a moderator:
CAM AKERS RB, LOS ANGELES RAMS

The Rams have a 52 percent pass rate since Week 15, the seventh lowest in the NFL over that span. 

Head coach Sean McVay has made a concerted effort to establish the run and lean heavily on the team's backs when game script allows. Perhaps spooked by Matthew Stafford's disastrous late-season decision making, McVay's offense has become one of the run-heaviest in the league over the past month. That wasn't always the case: LA's season-long pass rate of 59 percent ranks 11th in the NFL, and their pass rate over expectation was among the league's highest during the season's first month. The new approach has translated to hefty volume for Sony Michel -- who had 13 carries on Monday night against Arizona -- and Cam Akers, who led the team with 17 rushes in LA's Wild Card win. Akers, recently returned from a preseason Achilles tear, totaled 55 yards on the ground but had several long runs called back on penalties. Look for the Rams to once again go run heavy in the Divisional Round against Tampa, hiding Stafford as well as they can. 

RELATED: 

Sony Michel

Jan 18, 2022, 10:34 AM ET

Cam Akers rushed 13 times for 48 yards in the Rams' NFC Championship win over the 49ers.

He caught his lone pass-game target for a gain of two yards. After losing two fumbles last week in the Divisional Round win over the Bucs, Akers narrowly out-carried Sony Michel 13-10, but Michel did nothing with his 10 carries, rushing for an abysmal 16 scoreless yards. Akers hasn't been efficient at all since his return from a torn Achilles', rushing 54 times for 151 yards (2.8 YPC) and no touchdowns. He's still be coach Sean McVay's preferred lead back. It will be interesting to see if Darrell Henderson (knee) will be activated from I.R. in two weeks. Akers has done nothing to deserve the lion's share of work.

- NBCSportsEDGE

He hasn’t looked great other than a awesome 40 yard reception play against the Cardinals. But they’ve also played a lot of tough defenses in the post season (Cinci & Tampa are both top 5 run defenses for example. 49ers are stout too.)

The fact he’s even out there is still amazing. Full off-season to heal some more should help a lot. The fact they are still trusting him after those fumbles is really encouraging for next season.

Buckna said:
He hasn’t looked great other than a awesome 40 yard reception play against the Cardinals. But they’ve also played a lot of tough defenses in the post season (Cinci & Tampa are both top 5 run defenses for example. 49ers are stout too.)

The fact he’s even out there is still amazing. Full off-season to heal some more should help a lot. The fact they are still trusting him after those fumbles is really encouraging for next season.
Looks like Henderson will have a role+ going into next year.

Looks like Henderson will have a role+ going into next year.
He definitely will have a role. Akers will have to play better to keep him at bay. I would say Sony looks likely gone despite the love people were giving him his first few games as a Ram.

Cam Akers rushed 13 times for 21 yards in the Rams' Super Bowl LVI victory over the Bengals, adding three receptions for 14 additional yards. 

Akers' inefficient postseason continued, as he finishes the playoffs with 67 carries for 173 yards (2.58 YPC) across four contests. The No. 52 overall pick of the 2020 draft, Akers closed out his rookie campaign with 141/645/4 over his final seven appearances. There seemed to be nothing in the way of Akers and 2021 RB1 status until he suffered a torn Achilles’ tendon training on his own just days ahead of training camp. That would typically mean zero reps for the upcoming season, but there is nothing typical about Akers’ athleticism and power. He was back by Week 18 and the centerpiece of the Rams’ rushing attack by the Wild Card Round. Although Akers’ long-run explosion did not appear all the way back during the Rams’ Super Bowl run, his Peterson-ian power did. Akers has arguably experienced the best of both worlds during his injury recovery, racing back to get reps but avoiding further injury during a five-game cup of coffee that was really just a prelude to a full return in 2022. With Sony Michel headed to free agency and Darrell Henderson a pure change-of-pace option in the Rams’ eyes, the RB1 runway will again be cleared for Akers in 2022.

- NBCSportsEDGE

Its very impressive that he returned from a torn achilles withing the same season he tore it in. That said, he looked 100% like a guy coming off a torn achilles, and every RB looked better than him that got the ball. Its possible that is because of the injury, but Akers wasn't all that impressive his rookie year either. He was ok, and has arguably shown less than Henderson in both seasons.

Of course, neither has shown any ability to stay healthy, and that is probably the thing that will determine who has more value going forward. 

Personally, I wasn't a fan of either as prospects, I thought the Rams erred taking Henderson over Montgomery(and Akers over Dobbins) and while both have looked better than I expected them to, neither has really done anything to suggest they'll be anything more than a RBBC guy. 

Not sure it's how it'll turn out (because they've seemingly given Akers the load when he's been completely healthy) but seems obvious to make Akers early down and Henderson 3rd/COP back (even not exclusively)

Akers nearly killed the Rams this post-season. Historically terrible. 

From ESPN (the terrific Bill Barnwell) :

"The good news is that Akers was on pace to have the worst single game of the season for a running back before that final first down. The bad news is that the player he would have beaten out for that nod is ... Cam Akers, who produced minus-16.5 EPA when he ran 24 times for 48 yards and fumbled against the Buccaneers in the divisional round. (Akers added a second fumble as a receiver.) His return from a torn Achilles has been remarkable, but he was a major detriment to the Rams this postseason."

Akers nearly killed the Rams this post-season. Historically terrible. 

From ESPN (the terrific Bill Barnwell) :

"The good news is that Akers was on pace to have the worst single game of the season for a running back before that final first down. The bad news is that the player he would have beaten out for that nod is ... Cam Akers, who produced minus-16.5 EPA when he ran 24 times for 48 yards and fumbled against the Buccaneers in the divisional round. (Akers added a second fumble as a receiver.) His return from a torn Achilles has been remarkable, but he was a major detriment to the Rams this postseason."
None of their RBs had any room.

They really gotta work on that run blocking, yeesh

Positively inspiring comeback by Akers.  I’m really pulling for him.

That said, people in this thread talking about taking this guy in the 2nd round of a dynasty startup draft this coming season are absolute gamblers.  Not a chance I’m touching this guy anywhere near it seems you’ll need to grab him at.  

None of their RBs had any room.

They really gotta work on that run blocking, yeesh
Yep, Henderson had 4 carries for 7 yards. Michel had 2 carries for 2 yards (10 for 16 the week before.) Perhaps the Rams just suck at running the ball against good run defenses? That “1st down, run it up the gut” every time play wasn’t very successful and yet they kept at it over and over again.

Yep, Henderson had 4 carries for 7 yards. Michel had 2 carries for 2 yards (10 for 16 the week before.) Perhaps the Rams just suck at running the ball against good run defenses? That “1st down, run it up the gut” every time play wasn’t very successful and yet they kept at it over and over again.

The Bengals had  good run defense?

Clearly the Rams struggled as a team running the ball but Akers was bad and shouldn't have got so many touches coming back from injury.

The Bengals had  good run defense?

Clearly the Rams struggled as a team running the ball but Akers was bad and shouldn't have got so many touches coming back from injury.
5th best rush defense in the league statistically. Their pass defense was abysmal leading to an average overall rating.

Edit: Even if you don’t buy into the statistics because there can be a lot of nuance in attempts, total yards, ypc, etc. they still had an above average rush defense.

Edit again: I was wrong on NFL.com’s rankings, mobile version pulled them up wrong.

Last edited by a moderator:
We can talk about all the great run defenses the Rams faced down the stretch, but to be honest, I wasn't impressed with Akers either way.   Others want to say he wasn't ready to be activated and to me, well, I'm not sure if that is a cop out or truth to be honest.  I don't know what he is at this moment.  I do think Henderson will have a role+ in 2022 however and that will cut into Akers value.

he needs another 6 months of rehab, PT, and get his mental state right. He is a shell of himself right now, but would be comfortable drafting him next year if the Ram's keep the backfield set. 

We can talk about all the great run defenses the Rams faced down the stretch, but to be honest, I wasn't impressed with Akers either way.   Others want to say he wasn't ready to be activated and to me, well, I'm not sure if that is a cop out or truth to be honest.  I don't know what he is at this moment.  I do think Henderson will have a role+ in 2022 however and that will cut into Akers value.
I personally was more impressed with a healthy Henderson than Akers at any point....but Henderson is rarely healthy and the Rams love to feed Akers as a bell cow for some reason.....Im thinking classic RBBC next year with an edge to Akers as the lead.  

Full off-season would be good, have to remember his rookie year was COVID and he tore his Achilles before training camp even started this past season. Those may just turn out to be excuses in the end, but definitely willing to wait and see how he looks in the 2022 season before burying him for his postseason ypc.

Kiddnets said:
I personally was more impressed with a healthy Henderson than Akers at any point....but Henderson is rarely healthy and the Rams love to feed Akers as a bell cow for some reason.....Im thinking classic RBBC next year with an edge to Akers as the lead.  
I agree with this.

Assuming McVay is back, I don't see a RBBC. Hasn't been his style, except early in 2020 and it didn't seem like that was by design.

Akers should have a good workload next year if he has a healthy offseason. Whether he keeps it depends how he does at the start of the year, I guess. 

Assuming McVay is back, I don't see a RBBC. Hasn't been his style, except early in 2020 and it didn't seem like that was by design.

Akers should have a good workload next year if he has a healthy offseason. Whether he keeps it depends how he does at the start of the year, I guess. 
Akers will definitely be the lead back, no question, but Henderson will get plenty of work.  Perhaps as high as 40% and will be in on a lot of passing downs IMO.

Akers will definitely be the lead back, no question, but Henderson will get plenty of work.  Perhaps as high as 40% and will be in on a lot of passing downs IMO.
I'll be surprised if Henderson gets 40% or close to it. The safest assumption is that McVay will continue to favor a bellcow IMO. 

I think Akers will be given every opportunity to prove he's restored enough of what he was before the injury to be the lead back.   However, is anyone going to be surprised to see the Rams go after one of the second tier rookie RBs given that injury and DH's own durability issues?   **assuming Michel walks

I think they will dedicate a 4th or 5th (maybe even a 3rd) to get something decent.   Not that such a rookie would be expected to win the lead role, but someone who might have enough of a role to keep this a muddled 3RB backfield. 

I doubt it and everyone keeps taking up his passing down work but he's not very good in pass protection.

I don't feel super confident in the kid as of today.  

He could recover and be who we thought he was pre-injury.  I was sky high on him prior to his injury.  But an Achilles can definitely be hard to come back from.  

He looked bad in his return.  A lot of people have rightfully pointed out the Rams poor run blocking at times.  But we're talking fantasy football.  And poor run blocking is another point against Akers.  

I won't fault anyone for taking him.  But there's a ton of risk here, IMO.  And I'm not sure what the upside is.  

I absolutely think Henderson has some role.  

In redraft:  I want to see that he's actually back before going out and drafting him everywhere.  I'll probably let other people take the risk this coming season.  

In dynasty:  By the time I know he's "back" the price will be too much.  I probably won't be acquiring him anywhere.

I don’t have any shares of either RB.  I can’t even fathom why people think Akers will be a bell cow for the team considering the injury he had.  It doesn’t make sense.  Sure you use him as the lead, but no need in working him that much when you have another capable back. 

Maybe something to do with getting 27 touches in a game about 6-7 months after his injury.
Not only a small sample size, but also late in the season blah blah.  People are entitled to believe what they a want.  I won’t be buying into it.  

He will be a bellcow if he performs well, and performs clearly better than the guys behind him.

He will at least get that chance.  We'll see. 

I can only imagine he will look much better physically by September.  That much is obvious.

Users who are viewing this thread