What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

RB Chase Edmonds, TB (4 Viewers)

Edmonds missed 3 games then he came back and barely saw the field.

When a team with a 3-5 record decides to trade at the deadline for a RB with an expiring contract you know that they don't think very highly of their RB roster.
When Drake was brought in, DJ was clearly out of favor. But by the time Edmonds returned, Drake was running hot from the get go and Kingsbury understandably didn't want to take him off the field. Not sure that it was a reflection of how he felt about Edmonds.

When a team with a 3-5 record decides to trade at the deadline for a RB with an expiring contract you know that they don't think very highly of their RB roster.
Sorry, but Edmonds got hurt, so they traded for Drake. Edmonds ripped off 126 yards against the Giants and pulled a hamstring at the end or at the beginning of the next game. Then came the trade.

Sorry, but Edmonds got hurt, so they traded for Drake. Edmonds ripped off 126 yards against the Giants and pulled a hamstring at the end or at the beginning of the next game. Then came the trade.
Let’s also remember that Drake was practically worthless, and just a body at the time. They didn’t trade for post 2019 Drake. 

Let’s also remember that Drake was practically worthless, and just a body at the time. They didn’t trade for post 2019 Drake. 
Very true. They were trading for a guy who was buried on the bench in Miami. Behind Kalen Ballage and Patrick Laird.

He had a foot out the league at that point.

Amazing how this works, this NFL, doesn't it? So much of it is about situation.

The player he was in Miami became irrelevant as soon as Arizona handed him a healthy contract.

He’s the undisputed RB1 on that roster until he gets hurt or proves to be a bust.  And I say this as an Edmonds owner. 

When Drake was brought in, DJ was clearly out of favor. But by the time Edmonds returned, Drake was running hot from the get go and Kingsbury understandably didn't want to take him off the field. Not sure that it was a reflection of how he felt about Edmonds.
Oh, sure....so Kingsbury didn't want to take him off the field last year but somehow some people here expecting to see Edmonds getting 10/12 touches this year.

Ok, I'm gonna say it again........the Arizona Cardinals were 3-5 at the deadline, I repeat 3-5.

They didn't have to make any trade, they could have gone with Alfred Morris & Zach Zenner while Edmonds or David Johnson were out.

Instead they decided to trade for a RB with an expiring contract, that never happens.

I think we can assume that they've already decided back then that David Johnson's days were numbered and realized that Chase Edmonds is essentially a J.A.G.

Last edited by a moderator:
tangfoot said:
He’s the undisputed RB1 on that roster until he gets hurt or proves to be a bust.  And I say this as an Edmonds owner. 
Nobody said differently. I don't expect him to be in for fifty-five of the seventy-five or eighty plays that Kingsbury wants to run though.

None of this was mutually exclusive; he can be the RB1 while Edmonds gets ten touches a game.

Young 8 said:
Ok, I'm gonna say it again........
“Objection”

”overruled.”

”I strenuously object....”

In seriousness, the signing of Drake wasn’t much of a negative for Edmonds.  Rather, the timing of his injury was a huge negative, Drake’s performance was another, and his contract was a 3rd.  But the actual signing was just a desperate team - in the rebuilding phase - taking a shot at a guy with talent who had done very little.  Edmonds needs to take care of business, get healthy, and be productive with his limited touches while Drake is healthy - which we all know won’t last for 16 games.

Not saying I agree with this, but I don't mind hearing it, especially from the likes of Evan Silva.

Evan Silva

‪@evansilva

Few more thoughts after finishing every Week 1 game:

* Chase Edmonds is #Cardinals best RB
* Big Ben's arm looked great after slow start
* Buying Antonio Gibson; McKissic/Barber such weak comp
* Expected #49ers DEF regression on track
* Best I've seen Zeke look RE: conditioning

9/16/20, 10:49 PM

The player he was in Miami became irrelevant as soon as Arizona handed him a healthy contract.

Drake signed a one-year transition tag contract.  In terms of AAV, he ranks 9th in the NFL.  In terms of overall contract value, his contract is currently 27th among all RBs.

This sort of situation is perfect for a back-up RB to usurp carries.

Chase Edmonds rushed four times for 16 yards in the Cardinals' Week 4 loss to the Panthers, adding five catches for 24 yards. 

Edmonds is clearly the most effective running back for Arizona. Kenyan Drake continued his struggles in an ideal matchup against a bad Carolina defense, turning 13 carries into a meager 35 yards. Perhaps most alarmingly, Drake didn't run a single pass route against the Panthers, while Edmonds ran 15 routes and saw six targets. Edmonds should be rostered in all leagues in case Kliff Kinsbury grows tired of Drake's ineffectiveness and deploys Edmonds more liberally. 

Cobbler1 said:
Something is off with Drake. He doesn’t look the least bit elusive. Edmonds szn coming.
What’s wrong with Drake is he’s tired of seeing nothing but opposing jerseys before he gets to the line 

It's partially Drake's fault, because now he doesn't trust holes when they are there... he's trying to find the edge now on every carry.
Isn't that what Gase was complaining about in regards to him and their other RBs at the time like Jay Ajayi?

That was my impression of him at Alabama. He put some good games together and I was thinking maybe he had put this tendency behind him. Maybe he just had good blocking during that spell?

Chase Edmonds rushed three times for 36 yards and one score, hauling in 5-of-6 targets for 56 yards in Arizona's Week 5 win over the Jets.

Edmonds came off the bench for his first carry at the end of Arizona's opening drive and exploded for a 29-yard touchdown up the gut. Kenyan Drake meanwhile rushed 18 times and averaged 3.2 yards per touch. Drake actually out-touched Edmonds 19 to 8 but still only received one target and struggled for yards in any situation that required him to shake defenders. Edmonds' time is presumably just around the corner given Drake's ongoing struggles. In the meantime, Edmonds remains a FLEX option who offers a high weekly floor and is eventually poised to erupt — perhaps as early as Week 6 against the Cowboys.
Guy just keeps producing on limited touches.

I'm happy. I've started him in a FLEX the last two weeks in a deep league.

This page of this thread has not aged well for some people whatsoever.

I'm happy. I've started him in a FLEX the last two weeks in a deep league.

This page of this thread has not aged well for some people whatsoever.
Just traded for him last week to secure my Drake holding. I wonder if there will be a changing of the guard forthcoming. He could be dynamic with more snaps.

Who did you give & what format? I'm on the fence whether or not offering my D. Parker in PPR dynasty for him is a good move for me...
It was a blockbuster: 0.5 PPR league, start 2RB, 2WR and a Flex.

I have Drake and had Hunt, and my trading partner has Chubb and had Edmonds. I offered Drake for Chubb. He countered wanting Diontae Johnson as part of a deal, and also inquired about James Robinson.

I wound up trading Hunt, Robinson, and Johnson for Kamara, Edmonds, and Slayton. Not sure if that really gives you a good idea of value, though.

he's on the small side so it's hard to see him taking too much of a share, but def the kind of satellite back who can be (& has been) very productive in PPR

starting him this week again with Ingram on a bye

trying to make a trade for Swift so I don't have to pair him with Ingram ( :X )

6 targets and a 40% snap share in a poor game script (for the receiving back) are very good things to see. It hints at closer to a 50/50 split if they happen to be trailing.

I am an Edmunds believer.  And yet - I don't think I'll start him this week.  Between A Jones, Mixon, J Conner, Mattison and D Harris I have to leave some on the bench.  Can only start 3.

If and when AZ declares or is obvious about Edmunds as the primary RB I will start him I guess. 

Strange game for Edmonds so kicking this thread up to discuss.

His usage had been steadily climbing and while Drake was still the primary back, Edmonds was becoming flexible -- esp. in PPR. Even talk about how Drake continuing to not really shine could open up the door for this to be a true full blown committee or even give Edmonds more of a shot.

Tonight lined up to be a fantastic match up for both backs. And the way this game went, the game script heavily leaned towards using the backs to grind out the clock.

Yet Edmonds was barely visible.

It was Drake in there -- even late -- to grind out the clock with 20 carries to Edmonds 5. Edmonds wasn't involved in the pass game, either -- don't have total targets but he logged a single catch.

Is this an anomaly given the last couple of weeks? Or has Edmonds' value and utility this year for your fantasy squad null and void?

There are certainly other backfield messes to invest in -- SD, BAL, WAS, NYJ, and LAR to name a few. All of those looked more sketchy than investing in Edmonds because Edmonds had some momentum and had consistently delivered.

Has that changed? How do we view this situation -- and Edmonds' value -- going forward?

Chase Edmonds rushed five times for 23 yards and caught 1-of-2 targets for six yards in the Cardinals' Week 6 win over the Cowboys.

Kenyan Drake busted out for 20-164-2 rushing, so he still remains pretty significantly ahead of Edmonds on the backfield depth chart. There just isn't really enough here to make Edmonds a weekly fantasy starter, even if he remains one of the truly elite insurance options with RB1 upside should Drake ever get hurt.

Oct 19, 2020, 11:53 PM ET

His usage had been steadily climbing and while Drake was still the primary back, Edmonds was becoming flexible -- esp. in PPR. Even talk about how Drake continuing to not really shine could open up the door for this to be a true full blown committee or even give Edmonds more of a shot.

Tonight lined up to be a fantastic match up for both backs. And the way this game went, the game script heavily leaned towards using the backs to grind out the clock.

It was Drake in there -- even late -- to grind out the clock with 20 carries to Edmonds 5. Edmonds wasn't involved in the pass game, either -- don't have total targets but he logged a single catch.

Is this an anomaly given the last couple of weeks? Or has Edmonds' value and utility this year for your fantasy squad null and void?

There are certainly other backfield messes to invest in -- SD, BAL, WAS, NYJ, and LAR to name a few. All of those looked more sketchy than investing in Edmonds because Edmonds had some momentum and had consistently delivered.

Has that changed? How do we view this situation -- and Edmonds' value -- going forward?
I used to play fantasy baseball way back in the day, and we had limited starts at each position. So, for my pitchers I used to look very closely at the Vegas Lines before I put them in my line-up, even if they were high quality starters (the only one glued to my starting line-up was Randy Johnson). The magic number turned out to be -250 for the starting pitchers team. I beat my competition by about 4 points per starts.

I'm going to dig in to this, but I bet there's a pattern with Drake and Edmonds and that the answer to playing which one each week will lie in the betting lines.

Transparency note - I own Edmonds in both of my two leagues.

Last night's game doesn't change my perspective all that much.  A caveat, I didn't watch the fourth quarter last night.

Regarding Drake:  I know there are advanced stats for this, but I'll rely on anecdotal observations.  He had absurd holes to attack.  We know how bad the Cowboys' run defense is, and they played true to form last night.  One other observation: on the somewhat-rare occasions where Drake was met in the hole with initial contact, he struggled to shake off first contact.  In summary, I think it makes sense the Cardinals would try to get him going last night, but nothing I saw really changes my mind about Drake.

Regarding Edmonds:  we have seen his primary fantasy value coming in the passing game.  Coming into last night, he was consistently second or third in targets most games.  Last night's games simply didn't require usage of drop-off passes to running backs; everybody else was wide open to start with.  We may have learned he's more of a situational play without value in lopsided games, but the Cardinals figure to play a lot of competitive games, as they have all season long.  The Seattle game upcoming will be a good test of this theory.

I don't have much of a choice but to start Edmonds these days due to the fun vagaries of fantasy, but I still feel good about him moving forward.

Big PPR game tonight, just 2 for 14 on the ground, but 7 for 87 through the air. 

Who knows his role with the Kenyan Drake injury?  They probably don't want him to run as much as Drake. That makes Eno Benjamin an important pickup this week.

Guy has 4/55 on the ground 7/87 in the air. Half PPR is 18 points plus.

Nice night if you had the stones or the necessity to throw him in there.

Users who are viewing this thread