What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

RB Chris Carson, SEA - 10.7.21 - Neck Issue (3 Viewers)

Ours just finished a couple days ago....I picked him up tonight before the game in two dynasty leagues....one a 4 round and the other a 5 round....both 12 teams.

Last edited by a moderator:
Chris Carson rushed eight times for 46 yards and caught two passes for 44 yards in the Seahawks' third preseason game.

Eddie Lacy got the start, but Carson came in on the second play, pulling down a 37-yard catch after a vintage Russell Wilson escape. The seventh-rounder continued to rotate in fairly evenly with Lacy while the veteran was in the game. Carson has clearly earned a roster spot with 156 yards on 25 touches this preseason, but he looks like the No. 4 back when everyone is healthy. That said, Thomas Rawls and C.J. Prosise are already hurt and Lacy is no lock to stay on the field, either. He will be a name to know on the waiver wire and is perhaps a late-round option in deep leagues.

I would start thinking about pulling the trigger on Carson when Perine, Foreman, J. Williams, and Mack come off the board.  If DeAngelo Henderson gets picked, Carson wont be far behind.  I think that puts him at the end of the second/beginning of the third range.  

I would start thinking about pulling the trigger on Carson when Perine, Foreman, J. Williams, and Mack come off the board.  If DeAngelo Henderson gets picked, Carson wont be far behind.  I think that puts him at the end of the second/beginning of the third range.  
Agreed, I have another draft today and he will probably go late 2. 

I suspect he is the third down back when Prosise is injured.... which is always. Rawls will get 5-8 carries a game with Lacy getting the rest. When Rawls is injured.... which is most the time you will see Carson get the Rawls carries

I suspect he is the third down back when Prosise is injured.... which is always. Rawls will get 5-8 carries a game with Lacy getting the rest. When Rawls is injured.... which is most the time you will see Carson get the Rawls carries
I dont know man Lacy has looked terrible.  This is an interesting situation to watch especially if Rawls cannot get his ankle up to par.  But yeah lacy is just bad right now

We'll see how the contracts play out. Local beat writers say the 4 that should make the team are Rawls, Carson, Davis and Collins if you took money and draft pedigree out of the conversation. 

I dont know man Lacy has looked terrible.  This is an interesting situation to watch especially if Rawls cannot get his ankle up to par.  But yeah lacy is just bad right now
Looked good last night in limited time. They are not going to pound their workhorse into the ground in the preseason. 

End of the season Lacy leads this backfield in yards and tds, he looked great last night with limited carries
Most are reading too much into the preseason which is great. You can grab him late. Lynch never got tons of preseason carries... why would you. 

Carson does have value especially in PPR imo. I think he takes the 3rd down back role because Prosise can't stay on the field... lots of talk about the Hawks being unhappy with him. 

Looked good last night in limited time. They are not going to pound their workhorse into the ground in the preseason. 

Most are reading too much into the preseason which is great. You can grab him late. Lynch never got tons of preseason carries... why would you. 

Carson does have value especially in PPR imo. I think he takes the 3rd down back role because Prosise can't stay on the field... lots of talk about the Hawks being unhappy with him. 
So which is it? Is Carson the workhorse they are saving during the preseason or is he the future 3rd down back?

Are you really comparing Lacy to Lynch?  I get that you are a homer and appreciate the input but I dont see any similarities between the two.

So which is it? Is Carson the workhorse they are saving during the preseason or is he the future 3rd down back?
Sorry, let me clarify. Lacy is the workhorse they are saving during the preseason. He will rush for over 1000 yards and 10tds.

Carson will fill in for the Rawls change of pace role when Rawls is injured and Carson will fill the 3rd down Prosise role when Prosise is injured. Both Rawls and Prosise are injured frequently. 

Sorry, let me clarify. Lacy is the workhorse they are saving during the preseason. He will rush for over 1000 yards and 10tds.

Carson will fill in for the Rawls change of pace role when Rawls is injured and Carson will fill the 3rd down Prosise role when Prosise is injured. Both Rawls and Prosise are injured frequently. 
Gotcha.  Thanks for the clarification, I could definitely see it play out that way.

Rawls seems like more of an x-factor as it relates to Lacy. I too have been reading the reports of the Seahawks being tired of Prosise and his injuries, which seems like a solid reason to bump Carson.

IMO his workhorse days are long gone.  Guys like that just dont miraculously regain their speed (which he has never been that fast) or recover from the early career pounding.   From some of the articles online it appears the team isnt happy with where he is at right now.  I dont see any value now in this backfield but certainly someone can emerge (Rawls, Carson?) but I wouldnt count on Lacy to do anything other than bring me a sandwich. 

Are you really comparing Lacy to Lynch?  I get that you are a homer and appreciate the input but I dont see any similarities between the two.
I'm comparing their preseason usage. I picked Lynch because it seemed relevant as it's happened under the same coach. Do any workhorse RBs get run into the ground in the preseason? 

ETA: Wilson still remains far superior to Newton. 

Note: I don't believe in guys being "injury prone". They're all at risk of getting injured. Every player is potentially injury prone...until he isn't anymore. RB Robert Smith was injury prone, until he wasn't anymore. WRs Joey Galloway and Isaac Bruce had constant hamstring injuries, until they didn't anymore.

IMO Rawls is the guy, the feature back, the bell-cow, whatever you want to call him. He runs violently and with passion. He has the attitude the team wants to see in their feature back. I think he keeps Lacy and Carson on the bench with Procise working as the third down back. I think Lacy is too much of a plodder and lacks the burst they want to see. Perhaps he gets more work in short yardage, but I just don't see him getting the first and second down carries between the 20s. 

Time will tell. I've been wrong before, but this is my perception after having watched many years of the PC/JS Seahawks. 

I'm comparing their preseason usage. I picked Lynch because it seemed relevant as it's happened under the same coach. Do any workhorse RBs get run into the ground in the preseason? 

ETA: Wilson still remains far superior to Newton. 
Lacy is a with a new team.  Lynch was always established.  Lacy has looked slow as usual.  Again I think Lacy is going to dissappoint which is why we are in this thread trying to figure out if Carson (or lynch) is going to be the play a few games down the road because I assure you it aint goign to be lacy.

ETA: okay

IMO his workhorse days are long gone.  Guys like that just dont miraculously regain their speed (which he has never been that fast) or recover from the early career pounding.   From some of the articles online it appears the team isnt happy with where he is at right now.  I dont see any value now in this backfield but certainly someone can emerge (Rawls, Carson?) but I wouldnt count on Lacy to do anything other than bring me a sandwich. 
I agree with this.  Lacy will have a couple of big games and tease owners as usual, but it's dangerous to trust that guy on a weekly basis. 

I'd love to read those articles you reference. Pete has had nothing but good things to say about Lacy. Rotoworld and disconnected fantasy option blog guy should not be trusted. 

Go on Seahawks.com and find Pete's press conferences. He also appears on 710am in Seattle typically on Monday mornings I believe although I'm not sure that's an every week thing just yet. He has only praised Lacy.

Carroll also had nothing but good things to say about Terrell Owens that summer they brought him in...and then he cut him. 

How is Carson in pass protection? that might be a deciding factor. I don't think Rawls and Procise have any meaningful production in this offense this season. 

Maybe they like Carson more than Lacy because he can hit the holes faster, something that's needed with a lesser line like Seattle's..

I dont think Lacy was brought in to be a benchwarmer. they'll give him 2-3 weeks to prove he can do it , if not, enter Carson..just my take. I like the Scientist's review that Lacy should be 1000-10 td..

I dont own him

Two bad the fans don't coach the team
Why is that too bad?

Apologies. I wasn't looking to get into a competition where people hope to guess who's right. I was just sharing the opinions of Seattle fans that pay close attention to the team. Having access to as much information as possible helps us all to make good decisions when drafting fantasy players. I'm just trying to share, not looking to compete with you. If you feel the need to come back later with a hearty "I told you so" you're wasting your time and not really helping other board members. 

This said, I agree wholeheartedly with you that the coaches will make the important decisions. Have you heard something from Carroll or Bevell that leads you to believe that Rawls isn't the starter day 1? I think they've been clear on who the starter is so far. If you are making assumptions based on contract sizes that's a big mistake. This team more than others works on the fundamental concept of meritocracy. The better player in their eyes is going to play more. They've been very consistent from the start of their tenure here in Seattle. When they benched Aaron Curry (number four overall pick in the 2009 draft) in favor of KJ Wright I took notice. When they started Wilson ahead of the higher paid Flynn I became a believer. 

I know what Pete Carroll has said about Lacy but even so I wouldn't be surprised if Lacy gets cut in favor of Carson based on how they've played in the preseason. Still it is going to be Rawls starting job to lose in order for Carson to become #1.

IMO his workhorse days are long gone.  Guys like that just dont miraculously regain their speed (which he has never been that fast) or recover from the early career pounding.   
He is 26.... and speed has never been his game. He averaged 5ypc before he was injured last year. McCarthy didn't like his weight and punished him for it but his play never suffered. Pete is more open minded as a coach and he wants an RB that punishes the D.

I would think Rawls is more of a threat to Lacy than Carson. But Rawls, like Prosise, just can't seem to get/stay healthy.

I would think if all players were healthy and remained so, Rawls is the lead RB on base/running downs and Prosise is the lead RB on passing downs. I would expect Lacy to back up Rawls and Carson to back up Prosise. What really muddles this is that Rawls and Prosise have been unable to stay healthy. 

If Carson's preseason performance carries over to real games, he could easily supplant Prosise without an injury. Per camp reports, he has been the best pass blocker of these backs, in addition to being very productive with his touches.

From a cap perspective, if the team were to cut Lacy, say in favor of Davis, it is virtually neutral to cap hit... they would save $697K on Lacy's cap hit but Davis would add a cap hit of $552K. Unfortunately, they have a sunk cap cost of $2.865M in Lacy regardless.

In my 12 team Super-flex, PPR redraft yesterday he was drafted at 15.3 as the #54 RB off the board. This just proves to me that there are almost no secrets in fantasy football anymore.

Chris Carson was listed next to Eddie Lacy at the backup running back spot on the depth chart.

With Thomas Rawls (ankle) at the top of the depth chart and not 100 percent yet, Carson could be part of the game plan against the Packers in Week 1. He's reportedly been the best back at practice while also showing big-play ability and some solid pass protection during preseason action. Carson's buzz in the past month makes him a nice stash in most fantasy leagues.

Source: Bob Condotta on Twitter 

Sep 5 - 6:05 PM

It's happening!

Posted 7 minutes ago · Report post

Gregg Bell‏Verified account @gbellseattle  26m26 minutes ago

More

Pete Carroll says he has no hesitation giving rookie RB Chris Carson ball multiple times Sunday in his 1st NFL game at Green Bay #Seahawks

It's happening!

Posted 7 minutes ago · Report post

Gregg Bell‏Verified account @gbellseattle  26m26 minutes ago

More

Pete Carroll says he has no hesitation giving rookie RB Chris Carson ball multiple times Sunday in his 1st NFL game at Green Bay #Seahawks
How bad, fat, and slow does Eddie Lacy have to be to be losing out to oft injured Rawls and a rookie 7th round draft pick

How bad, fat, and slow does Eddie Lacy have to be to be losing out to oft injured Rawls and a rookie 7th round draft pick
Seems as of now Lacy hasn't been beaten out as he was named the starter right? Something to watch for though.

Seems as of now Lacy hasn't been beaten out as he was named the starter right?
I was referring to Faust's post above really... 

Chris Carson was listed next to Eddie Lacy at the backup running back spot on the depth chart
A lot of positive stuff coming out of Seattle regarding Lacy this offseason and to have him 1. listed as the back up, and 2. tied with a 7th round pick for the backup slot... kind of makes me think nothing but a bunch of smoke and mirrors for Lacy this offseason

Could be wrong. I do own Lacy, took him as a flier RB4. I feel pretty good about it. I don't mind cutting him if I need to, just would like it to work out so I can have some trade bait. 

Seems as of now Lacy hasn't been beaten out as he was named the starter right? Something to watch for though.
The point being Carson needs to be rostered in 12+ team leagues. He's getting meaningful snaps on Sunday and this might be the path he needs to have fantasy value.

The point being Carson needs to be rostered in 12+ team leagues. He's getting meaningful snaps on Sunday and this might be the path he needs to have fantasy value.
Wish I could find the room in my leagues. I agree he is worth a stash.

Wish I could find the room in my leagues. I agree he is worth a stash.
Me too. 5 bench spots... would need to drop Lacy to roster him. I suppose I could drop Lee for him, as that's just a flier WR, but I don't really want to be heavily invested in a mess of a backfield either. So many RBs on that team that could pan out

Should I drop DeAndre Washington for this guy? Haven't followed the thread but heard rumblings he has impressed in camp. 

Users who are viewing this thread