What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

RB D’Andre Swift, CHI (3 Viewers)

Swift not worried

Asked if his ankle was anything to be concerned about heading into this week's game against the Washington Commanders, Swift, who played 46 of a possible 69 offensive snaps against the Eagles, said, "Not at all."

Swift was injured in the 2nd quarter. I didn't notice a difference at all.
Always something with him. Like Staley said, he needs to learn the difference between pain and injury.

Swift not worried

Asked if his ankle was anything to be concerned about heading into this week's game against the Washington Commanders, Swift, who played 46 of a possible 69 offensive snaps against the Eagles, said, "Not at all."

Always something with him. Like Staley said, he needs to learn the difference between pain and injury.
You’re ripping the dude who literally just said it wasn’t anything to worry about, after playing through whatever it was brilliantly for a half.

Weird timing.

Swift not worried

You’re ripping the dude who literally just said it wasn’t anything to worry about, after playing through whatever it was brilliantly for a half.

Weird timing.
Exactly, it's a weird look and doesn't make sense

• two DNP is noteworthy
  • played 10 series (no missed snaps) after the injury in Sunday's game
  • said after the game "I'm good" when asked about it
  • told reporter Dave Birkett [yesterday] he's not worried at all about whether he can play Sunday
Played through pain often last year, first six weeks it was a groin. Sunday before Thanksgiving he jammed his shoulder, still played on Turkey Day, reinjured same shoulder joint. Sat out four weeks resting and rehabbing, 90% + thought he'd get shut down, MCDC said he's making progress. In a 13 loss season that started 0-10-1, there was no reason for him to play again, but he came back for the final two games (albeit in a reduced role.) Knowing the difference between being hurt and sitting or playing through pain was a point of emphasis this summer, as we all saw on Hard Knocks. Then you factor in that, generally speaking, the Lions are straightforward about injury status.

Campbell did not meet with the media today, I think M-W-F is the routine. Should have an update from him in the morning and we'll see what the Friday practice report says. Craig Reynolds is a capable back if for some reason you don't have options.

• two DNP is noteworthy
  • told reporter Dave Birkett [yesterday] he's not worried at all about whether he can play Sunday
Not saying it's the case, but the bolded can often be misleading even if a guy doesn't take any series off after an early injury. I'm no doctor, but I believe that adrenaline can mask the pain until you rest.

In any event, who knows - we'll have to see what the deal is tomorrow.

• two DNP is noteworthy
Played through pain often last year, first six weeks it was a groin. Sunday before Thanksgiving he jammed his shoulder, still played on Turkey Day, reinjured same shoulder joint. Sat out four weeks resting and rehabbing, 90% + thought he'd get shut down, MCDC said he's making progress. In a 13 loss season that started 0-10-1, there was no reason for him to play again, but he came back for the final two games (albeit in a reduced role.) Knowing the difference between being hurt and sitting or playing through pain was a point of emphasis this summer, as we all saw on Hard Knocks. Then you factor in that, generally speaking, the Lions are straightforward about injury status.

Campbell did not meet with the media today, I think M-W-F is the routine. Should have an update from him in the morning and we'll see what the Friday practice report says. Craig Reynolds is a capable back if for some reason you don't have options.

Is Williams worth an add if a FA (he is in my 10 teamer somehow) or wait a day? I don't know much about Reynolds

Swift not worried

Weird timing.
He's been a one note record in this thread since the beginning.

• two DNP is noteworthy

Is Williams worth an add if a FA (he is in my 10 teamer somehow) or wait a day? I don't know much about Reynolds
Yes.

• two DNP is noteworthy

Yes.
Trying to keep Reynolds under wrap from my league mates.

• two DNP is noteworthy

He vultured two TDs last week :shrug:

If I speak ill of Jamaal it makes people sad, but he doesn't have much left in the tank IMO. No threat to bust one or go for a big gainer. Big heart and he gets a lot of tough yards.

Reynolds started twice last year and graded out as the #1 RB in the NFL the first two times he stepped onto the field as a pro [Lion]. Former UDFA from Kurtztown, bounced around a bunch of teams, guys is a favorite of the coaches. They love Williams too, but they elevated Reynolds past a guy they drafted, a veteran with 4 seasons over 200 yards backing up Ekeler, and 4-phase STer who was one of leagues better KR. May not sound like much, but in terms of roster construction, he had to pass a lot of tests to force his way onto the team and up the depth chart. Year ago he was like 4th/5th string and inactive most weeks. Last week he only saw 14 ST snaps.

I expect Swift to play. If he doesn't, I think Reynolds gets the lead role (although Williams will start.)

• two DNP is noteworthy

Surprised he wasn’t drafted.

• two DNP is noteworthy

I am a little too but short benches in a 10 teamer, not much room.

• two DNP is noteworthy

He vultured two TDs last week :shrug:

If I speak ill of Jamaal it makes people sad, but he doesn't have much left in the tank IMO. No threat to bust one or go for a big gainer. Big heart and he gets a lot of tough yards.

Reynolds started twice last year and graded out as the #1 RB in the NFL the first two times he stepped onto the field as a pro [Lion]. Former UDFA from Kurtztown, bounced around a bunch of teams, guys is a favorite of the coaches. They love Williams too, but they elevated Reynolds past a guy they drafted, a veteran with 4 seasons over 200 yards backing up Ekeler, and 4-phase STer who was one of leagues better KR. May not sound like much, but in terms of roster construction, he had to pass a lot of tests to force his way onto the team and up the depth chart. Year ago he was like 4th/5th string and inactive most weeks. Last week he only saw 14 ST snaps.

I expect Swift to play. If he doesn't, I think Reynolds gets the lead role (although Williams will start.)

Thank you, the bolded was kind of why I asked the question, but opportunity often can trump talent

I know what you're saying in terms of preseason rankings ("well I guess he goes here at RB45") because in a typical 12-teamer 55-60 RBs are selected, but what's there to be excited about? 27, YPC dipped under 4.0, 6th year, you know what he is. His YFS peaked last year at 758, 3 TDs two years in a row....there is virtually no upside. Most of the time when you get in the doubel digit rounds you would rather take lottery tickets and young upside players than an old roster clogger.

I know what you're saying in terms of preseason rankings ("well I guess he goes here at RB45") because in a typical 12-teamer 55-60 RBs are selected, but what's there to be excited about? 27, YPC dipped under 4.0, 6th year, you know what he is. His YFS peaked last year at 758, 3 TDs two years in a row....there is virtually no upside. Most of the time when you get in the doubel digit rounds you would rather take lottery tickets and young upside players than an old roster clogger.
I saw him as one of the lottery ticket backs since Swift has played 13 games in each of his 1st 2 years.

That, plus an every Sunday role & word that the lions wanted to use him in short yardage to keep Swift fresh, made him an interesting pick to me in redraft.

His 2 TDs seemed to validate that. :shrug:

Someone has Williams, so I will try to get Reynolds if Swift is out.

I kept hearing people wanting the Lions to draft a back this year, but I think they have a pretty decent 4 with Swift/Williams/Reynolds/Justin Jackson.

I saw him as one of the lottery ticket backs since Swift has played 13 games in each of his 1st 2 years.

That, plus an every Sunday role & word that the lions wanted to use him in short yardage to keep Swift fresh, made him an interesting pick to me in redraft.

His 2 TDs seemed to validate that. :shrug:

Congrats, did he win the week for ya? Best ball?

Everyone loves Jamaal, but his days are numbered. IMO

I kept hearing people wanting the Lions to draft a back this year, but I think they have a pretty decent 4 with Swift/Williams/Reynolds/Justin Jackson.

Should probably draft one every other year, even if it's a day 3 pick.

Next year we will still have a lot of hole to fill: QB, G, add to the defense, maybe find Hock's replacement. Doubt RB will be a first or second day pick but who knows.

Congrats, did he win the week for ya? Best ball?

Everyone loves Jamaal, but his days are numbered. IMO
That’s why I said redraft.

He’s a decent BYE flier, and if Swift actually does miss time maybe I can flip him to the Swift owner for a decent linebacker or something. I might go make that offer now. :shrug:

I took him in round 22/27, so it’s not like he cost me a lot.

I know it's a position that always carries risk, but it sure seems like the Lions haven't been able to find a starting RB that can stay on the field ever since Barry retired, let alone come close to matching his production.

They called Jackson up from the practice squad today.

No

They called Jackson up from the practice squad Saturday to replace a DL who went on IR

They signed him to the 53 man yesterday

Why? Because Swift is hurt?

No, because any veteran who has accrued 4 years is vested. If they signed him to 53 man 5 days ago they would have had to guarantee his salary, This move was planned.

Jackson is the 4th string RB and the KR. He’s also a 4-phase STer, so basically the Godwin Igwebuike role from last year.

Jackson (20) and Reynolds (14) had only ST snaps last week. Swift (46) and Williams (23) took all the offensive snaps WK1.

Pro Football Network's Aaron Wilson reports that D'Andre Swift (ankle) is expected to play on Sunday.​

Even with the missed practices, the tenor all week has been one of optimism that Swift will suit up for the Lions on Sunday against the Commanders. A Friday practice would help matters, but Swift managers shouldn't feel too worried at this point that they'll have to find other options.
SOURCE: Pro Football Network
Sep 15, 2022, 3:49 PM ET

True, his curses are legendary.

The curse was revoked when Stafford was traded to the Rams.

Bobby unexpectedly got traded in TC* after 2 games, said Detroit would never win again.

Holmes/MCDC get hired, Staff says nah, drama free trade brings in a boatload of picks (Rams even paid Goof’s reporting bonus), Matthew wins SB, universe is satisfied 65 years of pain is enough

finito

*ETA traded after 2 games; the year before, HC Buddy Parker (won 2 NFL Titles in Detroit in the 50s) quit in TC. His replacement coached them to a third NFL title. Layne was hurt and the backup led them to a title. Parker went to coach the Steelers the next year, and traded for Layne - who was again backing up Tobin Rote. #therestofthestory

Last edited:
Detroit has 5 injured offensive lineman rn, 4 of them starters.

Halapoulivaati Vaitai didn't even make it to the season opener, landing on injured reserve after suffering a back injury in the preseason finale that required surgery this week. His back Tommy Kraemer, also developed a back injury that landed him on the IR yesterday. Logan Stenberg started at RG and achieved the rare 0.0 pass blocking grade from PFF vs the Eagles.

Then center Frank Ragnow suffered a groin injury during last week's practice. Missed a few practices last week but all five starters played every snap.

Now, two more starters are dealing with injuries, and Ragnow added a second concern, a foot injury. On Wednesday, neither he nor left tackle Taylor Decker practiced. The latter is dealing with a sore calf. Additionally, left guard Jonah Jackson was limited by a finger injury.

On Thursday, Ragnow and Jackson, both Pro Bowlers, missed practice and Decker was limited. Drew Forbes might end up starting at LG, though it's possible they put a cast on Jackson's hand to protect the finger. If Ragnow can't play, backup C Evan Brown (13 starts a year ago when Ragnow had toe surgery) is a capable backup.

RT Penei Sewell, who had the third highest Run Blocking Rating (84.5) among Offensive Lineman in Week 1 according to PFF, is the only healthy starter.

Doubt Bobby L at your peril around here.

Detroit has 5 injured offensive lineman rn, 4 of them starters.

Halapoulivaati Vaitai didn't even make it to the season opener, landing on injured reserve after suffering a back injury in the preseason finale that required surgery this week. His back Tommy Kraemer, also developed a back injury that landed him on the IR yesterday. Logan Stenberg started at RG and achieved the rare 0.0 pass blocking grade from PFF vs the Eagles.

Then center Frank Ragnow suffered a groin injury during last week's practice. Missed a few practices last week but all five starters played every snap.

Now, two more starters are dealing with injuries, and Ragnow added a second concern, a foot injury. On Wednesday, neither he nor left tackle Taylor Decker practiced. The latter is dealing with a sore calf. Additionally, left guard Jonah Jackson was limited by a finger injury.

On Thursday, Ragnow and Jackson, both Pro Bowlers, missed practice and Decker was limited. Drew Forbes might end up starting at LG, though it's possible they put a cast on Jackson's hand to protect the finger. If Ragnow can't play, backup C Evan Brown (13 starts a year ago when Ragnow had toe surgery) is a capable backup.

RT Penei Sewell, who had the third highest Run Blocking Rating (84.5) among Offensive Lineman in Week 1 according to PFF, is the only healthy starter.
So frustrating. I think a lot of us were high on the Lions offense this season not because of Hard Knocks but because they arguably have the best offensive line in the league.

I'll raise a toast to a speedy recovery across the board. 🥂

HC Dan Campbell doesn't anticipate G Jonah Jackson or C Frank Ragnow practicing today. Said there’s still a chance they play Sunday.

They will get D'Andre Swift out on the field today and keep CB Amani Oruwariye out.

Says they're going to try to get OLB Julian Okwara out there this week.

Lions head coach Dan Campbell said D'Andre Swift (ankle) will practice "a little bit" on Friday.​

The Lions are being careful with Swift, who picked up an ankle injury in the first half of Detroit's Week 1 loss to the Eagles. Swift played through the injury to the tune of 175 total yards. He's insisted he'll play in Week 2 against the Commanders, and we have no reason to think otherwise barring a setback. It's possible Swift could be somewhat limited, opening up more snaps for Jamaal Williams. The team signed RB Justin Jackson from the practice squad this week.
RELATED:
SOURCE: Tim Twentyman on Twitter
Sep 16, 2022, 11:10 AM ET

HC Dan Campbell doesn't anticipate G Jonah Jackson or C Frank Ragnow practicing today. Said there’s still a chance they play Sunday.

They will get D'Andre Swift out on the field today and keep CB Amani Oruwariye out.

Says they're going to try to get OLB Julian Okwara out there this week.
Feeels like they’re just trying to get Swift’s ankle as healthy as possible before Sunday.

Resting it is probably the best way to do that.

Since the start of 2021 the Lions starting OL has never played a snap together.
Incredible.

I will say this - OL coach Hank Fraley has developed good depth. Matt Nelson plays a lot of snaps as an extra T in jumbo sets - Detroit runs that package as much as the Titans - and started the last 11 g last year at RT (they flipped Sewell to LT.) He played DE in college & Detroit converted him to OL a few years ago. Evan Brown is on his 4th team, started 12 g at C in 2021 and graded out 66.8.

Last week Stenberg committed 2 penalties on the opening TD drive. Fraley was livid but Decker and Ragnow came off and told him “let it go, we’ll handle it.” His pass pro sucked but his run blocking was OK and no more flags, played every snap.

Every team says next man up, in Detroit they actually execute it. We lost the 2nd most man games in the league last year. UDFA rookie CB Jerry Jacobs was graded out in the high 70s, better than some 1st round picks. With Swift & Williams both out, former UDFA Craig Reynolds ran for 83 and 112 yards with the highest RB grade in the league back to back.

This coaching staff has around 1000 NFL games played, they’re great teachers. You’re not gonna get pro bowl level play from backups but they’ll make it work. Campbell tells them all the time “nobody cares, man. I don’t want to hear about excuses, these are the guys we’re going to win with, so get ‘em ready.”

• two DNP is noteworthy
Not saying it's the case, but the bolded can often be misleading even if a guy doesn't take any series off after an early injury. I'm no doctor, but I believe that adrenaline can mask the pain until you rest.

In any event, who knows - we'll have to see what the deal is tomorrow.
When I was 24 I broke my arm playing flag football. Finished the game, went home, showered, and started playing N64 with my roommate. Went to get up and all of a sudden I had massive pain my arm, rolled up my sleeve and my entire arm was purple. I had a hairline fracture and didn't know it for close to 2 hours.

Users who are viewing this thread