What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

RB Dalvin Cook, Free Agent (1 Viewer)

Didn’t look serious? He was on the ground either writhing in pain or crying. He then left cradling his arm and never got back into the game. Unless they determine that it was just a stinger, I’d say it absolutely looked serious.
I meant more that I didn't think it looked like a season ending injury. He was up and around and joking with Cousins on the sidelines after the Vikings TD.

Stinger is very possible, as is a shoulder sprain. I don't think he broke his collarbone or anything like that. Its encouraging he came back to the bench and wasn't in a sling or anything.

From a Vikings perspective, they can likely go 2-0 without him against the Lions and Chargers, they'll need him against Green Bay. Mattison has looked very solid in limited work, and they have good depth.

I meant more that I didn't think it looked like a season ending injury. He was up and around and joking with Cousins on the sidelines after the Vikings TD.

Stinger is very possible, as is a shoulder sprain. I don't think he broke his collarbone or anything like that. Its encouraging he came back to the bench and wasn't in a sling or anything.

From a Vikings perspective, they can likely go 2-0 without him against the Lions and Chargers, they'll need him against Green Bay. Mattison has looked very solid in limited work, and they have good depth.
Sure he didn't break anything but shoulder problems were a big issue for him in college from what I remember. 

Dalvin Cook (shoulder) said he'll "definitely" be ready to play in Week 14 against the Lions.

Cook took a hard hit to his chest against the Broncos in Week 11 and was a limited participant in Wednesday's practice — a full 10 days later — because of it. Monday's injury was reportedly a re-aggravation of it as he skipped the blue medical tent altogether and was promptly ruled out after quickly returning from the locker room. Cook himself said he'll "definitely" be ready to play on Sunday, but his pain tolerance could limit him even if he's available. Alexander Mattison has standalone FLEX value and is obviously a priority among waiver adds since he could be in line to make his first career start.

SOURCE: Adam Schefter on Twitter

Dec 3, 2019, 8:33 AM ET

Hope this isn’t the Conner situation all over again. Might just play Mattison anyways, although I’d never let myself live it down if he really is OK. Detroit is such a good matchup...

If I'm the Vikings there's no way I'm playing Cook without some significant healing time.

The hit that caused the fumble and re-injury was just an arm tackle. With the playoffs on the line the last thing they need is an ill-timed turnover from a guy who won't be able to hold onto the ball in a scrum with dudes punching at it left and right. Regardless of how talented he is.

This from the PFF article...it's gonna linger.

" I try to kind of land where it don’t hurt so. It’s kind of awkward, the way that I was landing. But like I said, it’s a physical sport. End of the year, I’ll be all right.”

Hope this isn’t the Conner situation all over again. Might just play Mattison anyways, although I’d never let myself live it down if he really is OK. Detroit is such a good matchup...
I feel Mattison could have stand alone value either way. It'd be great if he split reps or was the starter.

Bloody hell. Cook owner that dropped Mattison last week to cover another need 😩
I had Thielen in my lineup until it was too late to swap him out with one of my other WR's..  So I had to drop someone and pick someone up from the late Sunday game or Monday night.. I dropped Mattison and picked up Bisi Johnson. Told my BIL that I guaranteed Cook would get hurt after I made the move.. Johnson got me .1 point, I lost by 6 and Pascal was on my bench with 10.

Sometimes I hate FF

dr. chao is saying SC joint sprain, and that it's a pain tolerance issue ROS. So you are really rolling the dice starting him as he could easily re-aggrevate it and sit like yesterday. i hope the vikings make this decision easy by not playing him so cook owners can get L Murray-esqe production from mattison this week

Last edited by a moderator:
dr. chao is saying SC joint sprain, and that it's a pain tolerance issue ROS. So you are really rolling the dice starting him as he could easily re-aggrevate it and sit like yesterday. i hope the vikings make this decision easy by not playing him so cook owners can get L Murray-esqe production from mattison this week
We don't all have Mattison.  Grit your teeth and get out there, Dalvin!

Dalvin Cook (shoulder) said he'll "definitely" be ready to play in Week 14 against the Lions.

Cook took a hard hit to his chest against the Broncos in Week 11 and was a limited participant in Wednesday's practice — a full 10 days later — because of it. Monday's injury was reportedly a re-aggravation of it as he skipped the blue medical tent altogether and was promptly ruled out after quickly returning from the locker room. Cook himself said he'll "definitely" be ready to play on Sunday, but his pain tolerance could limit him even if he's available. Alexander Mattison has standalone FLEX value and is obviously a priority among waiver adds since he could be in line to make his first career start.

SOURCE: Adam Schefter on Twitter

Dec 3, 2019, 8:33 AM ET

Thankfully I earned a bye in Week 14....thanks in part to Cook. It's tough though when an injury makes PT unclear. I feel for people who are trying to figure this out this week. I think if I had to choose I would start Mattison at this moment.

Thankfully I earned a bye in Week 14....thanks in part to Cook. It's tough though when an injury makes PT unclear. I feel for people who are trying to figure this out this week. I think if I had to choose I would start Mattison at this moment.
Same here. Selfishly I’m hoping the Vikings sit Cook and give him 2 weeks to heal up. That may be best case as well for those with both Cook and Mattison who are playing this week.

Same here. Selfishly I’m hoping the Vikings sit Cook and give him 2 weeks to heal up. That may be best case as well for those with both Cook and Mattison who are playing this week.
I think even if Cook plays he’s on a bigger timeshare to limit his touches, they also are favored at home by double digits.  

Everyone that's rode Dalvin this far (myself included) knew this was part of the package.  He's one of those "When" he gets injured guys, not "If".

Stinks that it had to come at playoff time (for us), but it is what it is.

Not everyone has Mattison. I’m in a short bench league (4) spots and wasn’t able to get him off waivers this week.  

It seems like a pain tolerance thing, and could leave the game at any moment? Is there any special padding or anything they can do to limit him being knocked out of the game?

Not everyone has Mattison. I’m in a short bench league (4) spots and wasn’t able to get him off waivers this week.  

It seems like a pain tolerance thing, and could leave the game at any moment? Is there any special padding or anything they can do to limit him being knocked out of the game?
Not padding but they can shot that puppy up and for the short term he wont feel a thing.  Not sure why they would risk it but that is an option

If you have Mattison you’re praying they declare cook out.  If not, you’re just as screwed as the guys who don’t have Mattison.   

Starting Mattison. This is 2 weeks now where he has taken shots to the shoulder and can't hold onto the ball now if he takes one. It's the lions & a 3rd string QB. 

Starting Mattison. This is 2 weeks now where he has taken shots to the shoulder and can't hold onto the ball now if he takes one. It's the lions & a 3rd string QB. 
I'm debating putting him into my flext spot too as I can see a few things happening: Cook's reps are limited right from the start, they become limited/he's taken out if he hurts this shoulder again, or they are putting a whooping on the Lion's and give him some work in the 2nd half.

That's exactly how I see it. You gotta know the D is going to target his shoulder. Minn has to know that as well.

Of course this is the age of really dumb coaches so they could trot Cook out there up 30 points.

Cook says he's good, the Vike's twitter account Monday said he was held out for precautionary reasons and he had 140 & 2 tD's in his previous rendezvous with the Lions. I'm setting and forgetting it.

Cook says he's good, the Vike's twitter account Monday said he was held out for precautionary reasons and he had 140 & 2 tD's in his previous rendezvous with the Lions. I'm setting and forgetting it.
I can understand that, but it is definitely risky. If it truly is just a "pain tolerance" issue, it seems pretty evident that his threshold leans towards the lower end....especially after seeing him writhing around on the field Monday, only to say after the game that he was "fine".

Rolling with Mattison, personally.

For many it is the last week of the regular season and if you need his points to get in the playoffs that is a tough spot.  I guess he'll have the Q tag.

I would not want to play Mattison either though unless we get new info which is not likely.

Rotoworld:

Dalvin Cook (shoulder) reiterated he will play Week 14 against the Lions.

Doctors have informed Cook there is no chance of further injury to his shoulder; it's merely a pain tolerance issue. Cook should handle close to his normal workload against Detroit with the Vikings implied to score a week-high 28 points as major home favorites. Alexander Mattison could mix in for 8-12 touches to give Cook more of a breather.

SOURCE: Andrew Krammer on Twitter

Dec 4, 2019, 1:08 PM ET

I think if MIN is smart, they sit Cook one week.  They can beat DET with Mattison at RB.  They need to look forward to the playoffs, and if MIN wants to go far, they need a healthy Dalvin Cook.
i would hope they do this and keep Cook in the mix in conversation only for now to keep Detroit from game planning without Cook. So for us Cook owners we're f'ed for this week with what if's. Mattison seems to be the smart choice here for those who handcuffed.

I have him in a dynasty league, but don't have Mattison.  The Mattison owner wants a 1st round pick for him.  I have a bye week this week so I'm hoping Cook sits this week and is healthy for next week.

Why would he play?  Makes no sense 
MIN is still in the hunt for a division title and a first round home game.  With GB's schedule, the Vikes have to win 4 straight to even have a shot (GB will likely hold the tie-breaker).

Whoever wins the East is going to catch whatever monster doesn't win the West.  If the Vikings don't care whether they play GB in GB or in MIN, then yeah they'll rest Cook for sure.  They can also sit Diggs and a few other guys too.

MIN is still in the hunt for a division title and a first round home game.  With GB's schedule, the Vikes have to win 4 straight to even have a shot (GB will likely hold the tie-breaker).

Whoever wins the East is going to catch whatever monster doesn't win the West.  If the Vikings don't care whether they play GB in GB or in MIN, then yeah they'll rest Cook for sure.  They can also sit Diggs and a few other guys too.
The Vikings of course care about being able to have a playoff game at home. They are trying ti win every game. They do not have the talent to be able to sit Cook or Diggs. They can't play defense well anymore so the offense has to step up.

Its not a good situation for fantasy owners of Cook because even if he does play its possible he gets an early pull from the game just like he did last week. That was coming off the extra rest from the bye.

He also could have a big game. Not sure what folks are going to do with him this week.

You may want to double check his status pregame

The only saving grace about this is that the DET@MINN game is a 1pm SUN start time and MAY GIVE US  some clarity  when the inactives are declared around 11:30am (along with any warmup feedback).
The best case scenario is that Cook definitively declared OUT or we hear that he looks good to go in warmups.......the scenario where Cook starts but is tenative will drive everyone nuts. 

I'm in a bit of a different bind without the luxury of waiting as my RBs are Ekeler (whom I can't bench in a PPR format), Montgomery going Thursday (whom I don't trust against the Cowboys and would rather leave on my bench for his more favorable matchups in the next two weeks), Mattison and Snell... with scraps left on the wire due to it being a 16-team, shallow bench format.

With Cook talking himself up at every opportunity while the rest of the Viking camp stays silent and Conner already practicing in a limited fashion on Wednesday (continuing his forward progress from the past two weeks), I don't believe I'll be able to wait out the Cook-Mattison sweepstakes... despite how plum that matchup would be if Mattison was afforded the opportunity to be Dalvin Cook for a week against the threadbare Lions' rush D while Dalvin heals up.

If I knew Snell was going to get another 17-22 touches with Conner out... or at least knew Mattison would be guaranteed 10-12 in a timeshare, I would entertain waiting.  But without clarity on either front, I'm probably going to be stuck trotting out Montgomery tomorrow night for 50-60 yards and no TDs and feel downright sick about it.

Users who are viewing this thread