What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

RB Dalvin Cook, Free Agent (1 Viewer)

I'm in a bit of a different bind without the luxury of waiting as my RBs are Ekeler (whom I can't bench in a PPR format), Montgomery going Thursday (whom I don't trust against the Cowboys and would rather leave on my bench for his more favorable matchups in the next two weeks), Mattison and Snell... with scraps left on the wire due to it being a 16-team, shallow bench format.

With Cook talking himself up at every opportunity while the rest of the Viking camp stays silent and Conner already practicing in a limited fashion on Wednesday (continuing his forward progress from the past two weeks), I don't believe I'll be able to wait out the Cook-Mattison sweepstakes... despite how plum that matchup would be if Mattison was afforded the opportunity to be Dalvin Cook for a week against the threadbare Lions' rush D while Dalvin heals up.

If I knew Snell was going to get another 17-22 touches with Conner out... or at least knew Mattison would be guaranteed 10-12 in a timeshare, I would entertain waiting.  But without clarity on either front, I'm probably going to be stuck trotting out Montgomery tomorrow night for 50-60 yards and no TDs and feel downright sick about it.
I’m looking at Miles Sanders or OBJ over Cook to pair with Hopkins, Chubb, Derrick Henry and still the underdog. Might have to just go Sanders.  

Dalvin Cook (chest) was limited for Wednesday's practice.

Cook has said he'll play time and time again this week, but it wouldn't be shocking to see him limited against Detroit. His injury was also listed as a 'chest' ailment on Wednesday's report, which differs from his initial shoulder diagnosis — notable since he was limited from a lingering chest injury in practice last week. Cook is an unequivocal Top 15 option if he plays, but Alexander Mattison is still a low-end FLEX that could handle 8-12 touches.

SOURCE: Ben Goessling on Twitter

Dec 4, 2019, 4:36 PM ET

Cook: I'll Be Out There on Sunday ... Actually, I Feel Better Than Expected

To The Dudes point above Cook says he needs to lay off the contact during the week of practice.

He says he wanted to go back in the game on Monday although earlier he did say it was best for everyone that he got shut down last week.

He says he is focused on ball security as his primary focus this week.

I get the sense from his attitude and confidence that he is going to play, but who knows.

Ugh, I’ve got him in both my leagues, he’s been one steady horse  :kicksrock:

Why now Dalvin 😢

I only have Mattison in one league, and the other I’ve got a bye. 

Honestly, I kinda want him to sit this week, let Mattison carry the rock against Detroit, rest up, and go next weekend.

twitter docs say it's a pain tolerance issue.  They will probably shoot him up with pain killers and he'll be fine.  Doesn't seem to be an injury where he's at much risk of making worse.  

Shoot the horse up and make him run.

twitter docs say it's a pain tolerance issue.  They will probably shoot him up with pain killers and he'll be fine.  Doesn't seem to be an injury where he's at much risk of making worse.  

From what I read it is not automatic he will be given a pain killer because of the proximity of the SC joint to the heart.

The only saving grace about this is that the DET@MINN game is a 1pm SUN start time and MAY GIVE US  some clarity  when the inactives are declared around 11:30am (along with any warmup feedback).
The best case scenario is that Cook definitively declared OUT or we hear that he looks good to go in warmups.......the scenario where Cook starts but is tenative will drive everyone nuts. 
The David Johnson one carry debacle is fresh in everyone's head

I have him in a dynasty league, but don't have Mattison.  The Mattison owner wants a 1st round pick for him.  I have a bye week this week so I'm hoping Cook sits this week and is healthy for next week.
Exactly the same here except I have not reached out to the Mattison owner and I’m not sure I will.

Tex

For those that don't know, the SC joint is in the front where the collarbone meets the breastbone. There's not much cushion there at all. I imagine it would be extremely painful to take a direct hit of any kind.

I seriously doubt they'd shoot him up (typically, with either Marcaine or Toradol). There are critical structures in the area (both vascular & airway).

Given Cook's reaction to what looked like a mild hit on replay, there seems to be a rather significant pain tolerance issue.

All that said, I haven't heard how severe the sprain is (if anyone even knows).

Last edited by a moderator:
For those that don't know, the SC joint is in the front where the collarbone meets the breastbone. There's not much cushion there at all. I imagine it would be extremely painful to take a direct hit of any kind.

I seriously doubt they'd shoot him up (typically, with either Marcaine or Toradol). There are critical structures in the area (both vascular & airway).

Given Cook's reaction to what looked like a mild hit on replay, there seems to be a rather significant pain tolerance issue.

Injury report says chest, unless it’s a bit of a cat-mouse game to avoid direct shoulder hits. 

Football Jones said:

Sounds similar to the James Conner situation. Think that was the AC joint though. 

ILUVBEER99 said:

the injury occured week 11.... he had bye week... and got re-inured in his first appearance since sustaining the injury in week 11..... any pain meds for the pre-existing injury was likely provided before monday night game and he still failed to finish the game. there is real risk you get james connored here. of course many managers do not have options with near the upside cook provides... luckily, i do have an option and may start DJ moore over cook at my flex... need to take all the information that will be presented over the next couple of days and make a call on it sunday morning.

the injury occured week 11.... he had bye week... and got re-inured in his first appearance since sustaining the injury in week 11..... any pain meds for the pre-existing injury was likely provided before monday night game and he still failed to finish the game. there is real risk you get james connored here. of course many managers do not have options with near the upside cook provides... luckily, i do have an option and may start DJ moore over cook at my flex... need to take all the information that will be presented over the next couple of days and make a call on it sunday morning.
I'm not a Cook owner but have Mattison. With this info, seems like a good take, may start Mattison @ my flex spot.

SCT said:
Oldest rule in the book, always start your studs.
...and a terrible 'rule'. Imagine starting Matt Stafford & Calvin Johnson, in the playoffs week 14 , 2013. I don't have to imagine, going into that game dominating the league and coming out with a loss. I lived it. Calvin 52 yards, Stafford 151, no TDs. Yeah...always start your studs. :lol:

I think the limited practice is a good sign as far as Cook being able to play Sunday. He may not have a full practice this week as they are trying to keep him from having contact.

As a Vikings fan what is more troubling than this is that Adam Theilen still is not practicing.

People have been saying all year to get Mattison to handcuff Cook for this very situation. However there isn't enough certainty as far as playing time for the two RB to feel good about starting either of them. So how is that really helping you right now?

If we knew Cook would sit this game that would make Mattison a great option to start, but we don't know that. Maybe you can hope for a 50/50 split and that would be enough to play Mattison even if Cook gets a good chunk of the opportunity?

Last week Cook played 24 offensive snaps 44% 9 rushing attempts 4 targets 3 receptions. Mattison played 26 offensive snaps 48% 4 rushing attempts 5 targets 4 receptions

It is a more favorable match up this week as the Vikings are at home and the Lions not as good as theSeahawks. That could lead to favorable game script for the RBs and if the Vikings can get a lead, they may opt to have Cook rest more.

I am somewhat leaning towards Mattison being a safer play than Cook under the circumstances. That feels weird though.

What is getting overlooked with the injury and his pain tolerance is the right shoulder is where the injury is. 

He fumbled twice Monday night and lost one. He landed on his shoulder on his first fumble before the half and it was clear when he went to the bench that it bothered him. 

I believe the decision will come down to confidence in his ball security due to pain tolerance. You shoot it up and it is numb and you have the same issue but no pain. You don’t shoot it up and he can struggle due to pain. 

...and a terrible 'rule'. Imagine starting Matt Stafford & Calvin Johnson, in the playoffs week 14 , 2013. I don't have to imagine, going into that game dominating the league and coming out with a loss. I lived it. Calvin 52 yards, Stafford 151, no TDs. Yeah...always start your studs. :lol:
Week 15, 2009... Not only did I have CJ2k, Ray Rice, & Vernon Davis, I had the most amazing trio ever assembled in Brady/Welker/Moss, quite possibly the best fantasy team of all-time. I was 13-0, absolutely destroyed my league. I disregarded the blizzard in Buffalo that the Patriots were playing in, started my studs - while I don't remember the exact numbers, it was a ####### disaster. 

I also decided to play Arian Foster that week over Jerome Harrison who had about 600 yards and 4 TDs. Foster was benched after 1 carry and a fumble. My flex meant nothing that season for me, my top 6 were all I needed, just my studs :kicksrock:  

What is getting overlooked with the injury and his pain tolerance is the right shoulder is where the injury is. 

He fumbled twice Monday night and lost one. He landed on his shoulder on his first fumble before the half and it was clear when he went to the bench that it bothered him. 

I believe the decision will come down to confidence in his ball security due to pain tolerance. You shoot it up and it is numb and you have the same issue but no pain. You don’t shoot it up and he can struggle due to pain. 
Even if he plays, I'm holding my nose, shutting my eyes and just hoping. Situation is awful! And this a matchup I had looked at weeks ago with high hopes.

http://www.startribune.com/dalvin-cook-says-he-can-play-despite-pain/565814222/

Dalvin Cook says he can play despite pain

Vikings running back aggravated a shoulder injury he suffered Nov. 17 against the Broncos. 

By Andrew Krammer Star Tribune

After suffering a shoulder injury that took him out against the Seahawks on Monday, Vikings running back Dalvin Cook says he's confident he'll play on Sunday against the Lions.

Running back Dalvin Cook said Wednesday his lingering shoulder injury, suffered Nov. 17 against the Broncos and reaggravated twice during fumbles Monday night in the Vikings’ 37-30 loss in Seattle, is a matter of pain tolerance because “I don’t think this thing can get any worse.”

“I’ve missed enough time before,” Cook said, “so I’m trying to be on the field.”

Cook, whose 271 touches in 12 games trail only Carolina’s Christian McCaffery and Jacksonville’s Leonard Fournette, was a limited participant in the Vikings’ estimated injury report Wednesday, when the team held a shortened walk-through.

If Cook plays Sunday against the Lions, will he be on a snap count? Rookie Alexander Mattison is an effective replacement, chipping in 73 yards on eight touches in Seattle.

We’ll see how it goes during the week and then make a decision,” coach Mike Zimmer said. “We’re not going to play a guy that’s hurt.”

Limiting contact during the week’s practices is the plan, according to Cook, who said he’ll primarily work on gripping the ball through the pain in his right shoulder.

Beyond that, Cook said his approach is simple.

“Don’t think about it,” said Cook, who had 142 rushing yards against the Lions on Oct. 20. “I’ve played through a broken rib. I’ve played through a lot of stuff. It’s just the area that it’s in is just so different for me. I do a lot of blocking. That comes with the position, the physical part. It’s just getting used to it and adapting to it on the fly.”

‘Not a rookie anymore’

Running backs coach Kennedy Polamalu tells Mattison, the third-round pick out of Boise State, he’s “not a rookie anymore” in the second half of this season. Mattison has looked like a veteran with the ball in his hands while averaging 4.8 yards per carry.

Mattison’s role could increase as the Vikings manage Cook’s injury.

“I’m just excited to contribute anyway I can,” Mattison said. “If that’s the case, yeah, but I’m just excited to be a part of this.”

Even if he plays, I'm holding my nose, shutting my eyes and just hoping. Situation is awful! And this a matchup I had looked at weeks ago with high hopes.
He said he 'will be out there'. What is 'there'? on the sidelines is my guess. He's not lying. One hit and he could be gone for the season. One hit on the shoulder and there's a good chance he fumbles. Guaranteed Detroit has a bullseye on that shoulder.

If we knew Cook would sit this game that would make Mattison a great option to start, but we don't know that. Maybe you can hope for a 50/50 split and that would be enough to play Mattison even if Cook gets a good chunk of the opportunity?

It is a more favorable match up this week as the Vikings are at home and the Lions not as good as theSeahawks. That could lead to favorable game script for the RBs and if the Vikings can get a lead, they may opt to have Cook rest more.

I am somewhat leaning towards Mattison being a safer play than Cook under the circumstances. That feels weird though.
Yes, Yes, and Yes to these three statements was my conclusion yesterday and plugged in Mattison. Cook ran all over Detroit the last time they played and that was @ Detroit. Mattison is a pretty good mini-Cook and it's not just the hair. stat line in that game Cook 25/142/2 and Mattison 7/18/0. is Mattison can get to half of this total, I'd be okay with that but I'm betting on more than half. I just can't see this game being so close that they need Cook.

Yes, Yes, and Yes to these three statements was my conclusion yesterday and plugged in Mattison. Cook ran all over Detroit the last time they played and that was @ Detroit. Mattison is a pretty good mini-Cook and it's not just the hair. stat line in that game Cook 25/142/2 and Mattison 7/18/0. is Mattison can get to half of this total, I'd be okay with that but I'm betting on more than half. I just can't see this game being so close that they need Cook.
I definitely don't see a scenario where the Vikings have a lead and they are just killing the clock with Cook. I do think Mattison gets in there one way or another.

He said he 'will be out there'. What is 'there'? on the sidelines is my guess. He's not lying. One hit and he could be gone for the season. One hit on the shoulder and there's a good chance he fumbles. Guaranteed Detroit has a bullseye on that shoulder.
This is a situation that I don't know what to do. If he is active, what do you do? Start him, Mattison, bench them both for a Dede Westbrook like player.

This is worst case scenario. 

Week 15, 2009... Not only did I have CJ2k, Ray Rice, & Vernon Davis, I had the most amazing trio ever assembled in Brady/Welker/Moss, quite possibly the best fantasy team of all-time. I was 13-0, absolutely destroyed my league. I disregarded the blizzard in Buffalo that the Patriots were playing in, started my studs - while I don't remember the exact numbers, it was a ####### disaster. 

I also decided to play Arian Foster that week over Jerome Harrison who had about 600 yards and 4 TDs. Foster was benched after 1 carry and a fumble. My flex meant nothing that season for me, my top 6 were all I needed, just my studs :kicksrock:  
In our league, we have a team owner who is a huge Pats fan so he had Brady, Moss, Vinatieri etc and was 13-0 too.  Lost in 1st round of playoffs.

In our league, we have a team owner who is a huge Pats fan so he had Brady, Moss, Vinatieri etc and was 13-0 too.  Lost in 1st round of playoffs.
Anyone with that combo lost in week 15, it was a massive blizzard, but the dominance they provided gave this sense of arrogance.

40 mph winds, 2 feet of snow, who cares? They'll get me my points. 

I'm gonna be watching ####### Matthew Berry and Stephania Bell on Sunday morning like a rook, I mean what else can I do, I have no hope here...

Same boat as most, hoping for more clarity on his usage come Sunday.  If WAS would just embrace Guice as their lead RB, especially against the beatable GB defense, I’d be much more comfortable rolling him over Cook this weekend 

Dalvin Cook (chest) remained limited at Thursday's practice.

Cook couldn't finish what he started in Week 13, exiting Monday night's game in Seattle with a chest injury. However, the third-year workhorse has been adamant about playing Sunday against Detroit and his presence at practice the past two days puts him on track to do exactly that. Backup Alexander Mattison may see more change-of-pace work than usual, though Cook still commands RB1 status, even at less than 100 percent.

SOURCE: Courtney Cronin on Twitter

Dec 5, 2019, 3:16 PM ET

Speaking Thursday, Vikings coach Mike Zimmer said Dalvin Cook (chest) will play against the Lions and "be close to 100 percent."

Cook has said all week that his health won't be an issue for Week 14, and now his coach agrees. In a mini slump, Cook has a potential eruption spot in a Lions defense surrendering the third most running back fantasy points. The concern is that the Vikes build a big early lead and then give Cook a breather after his Week 13 scare. Regardless, Cook is a clear top-five play even with the injury question mark.

SOURCE: Chris Tomasson on Twitter

Dec 5, 2019, 3:32 PM ET

Does Zimmer normally play these type games during the week? Could we be looking at a David Johnson type game where he’s active and just doesn’t get touches?

Does Zimmer normally play these type games during the week? Could we be looking at a David Johnson type game where he’s active and just doesn’t get touches?
Zimmer is never forthcoming about the truth of the status of his players. He has said he expects players to play who do not several times with the Vikings by now.

Adam Theilen started a game and had to leave after 7 plays earlier on this season. Pretty much the same thing. Similarly with Diggs there have been times where he played hurt in the past but was mostly a decoy.

Exactly what I expect to happen! Why not make your opponent think your best player will be a key part of the gameplan this week. If you own Mattison, it’s hard to start him, but I can see him getting 15 plus touches and putting up low end RB1 numbers. The Vikes brass can’t be stupid enough to give an injured Cook a healthy workload in a game against an inferior opponent. 

No offense to anyone here, as all of these comments and insight are appreciated, but this feels like one of those ignore everything until Sunday morning and then with a clear mind absorb the latest and decide based on that. Everything else that comes prior is just noise and will cloud judgement on Sunday if the news is anything less than definitive. Good luck to all in the playoffs. Really wish I had secured that 1st round bye.

So after two weeks of rest, the guy shoulder was still hurting. But after missing an entire half plus 3 days of rest he's close to 100%? Such bs. He'll play but coach is obviously lying. 
Has anyone decided to bench him and for whom? Depends if you think your a favorite or underdog.  Do you need Cook’s ceiling score, can you absorb him possibly being a decoy or limited touches? 

Actually, I don't think there's much mystery right now. The injury is fairly significant. The fact it flared up after the bye along with the rather benign hit it took to get him out of the game, means there's legit risk.

It simply comes down to your other choices & weighing those options.

Right-o. Thanks for the information and help from the homers and the decisions by the rosterers. I've ridden Dalvin to the playoffs, now it's Mattison, Conner (out), Hyde, Johnson, Laird, or somebody else on the wire as RB2. I can't afford him to leave the game, either.

Ugh. Top two backs down is disaster and probably why I didn't get a bye in the first place (Neither Hyde nor Johnson replaces Conner in 1.0 PPR in the least)

Opponent had Anthony Miller give him 13 and I had Cooper/Robinson give me 42. I can't believe I'm thinking about Westbrook or Mattison over Cook, but now with an edge, I just need to win, doesn't matter by how many.... Ugh, this sucks!

I'd rather him sit, get better, and let Mattison carry the rock this week, tbh.

I'm deciding between Mattison and Sony.....at this point leaning Mattison, but Sony has a juicy matchup as well....just don't trust the Pats for obvious reasons

Users who are viewing this thread