What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

RB Damien Williams, ATL (2 Viewers)

It's a mixed bag.  

He worried me more for CEH's value last year prior to opting out.  He was the familiar/trusted RB in the system.  He was coming off a massively successful postseason.  It made sense to ease CEH into it.  

He's a solid running back.  He's good in the passing game.  He may well cut into Montgomery's value.  But he's going to a new team/system.  He's been out of football for a year.  He's someone I like a lot more for fantasy purposed by virtue of being in KC.  

As a guy with Montgomery, I don't love it.  I don't think it ruins him, though.

I would hope the Bears are smart enough to realize he makes a much better backup to Montgomery than Cohen and that he wins that job. I wish Cohen the best but as a Bears fan I would rather see him as the 5th wheel here. 

Always been a fan of Damien. As a dynasty owner, I was happy with the landing spot. Montgomery isn’t anything special to me. Reports from training camp already praising his speed and route running. 

With Tarik Cohen out, Damien Williams has impressed as a receiver in Bears camp.

The Chicago Sun Times' Patrick Finley reported Wednesday that Williams "doesn't seem to have lost a step" after opting out of the 2020 season and can "be a mismatch nightmare in the pass game." Reports on Cohen's health have grown increasingly worrying. Williams should at this point be viewed as the clear backup to David Montgomery, and is likely to play over Montgomery for at least some of Chicago's passing down snaps. Williams in unlikely to be available in the final rounds of fantasy drafts for much longer.

RELATED: 

David Montgomery

, Tarik Cohen

SOURCE: Patrick Finley on Twitter

Aug 4, 2021, 10:04 AM ET

Not a lot to report on him over the last month I guess but I see the potential for at least a decent sized passing role out of the gate. Curious to see his usage Sunday night in a game the Bears are likely to trail.

:blackdot:

Badly outplayed by Herbert in the preseason. 
He started over Herbert played against more starting caliber defenders than Herbert did and he had to play with Dalton instead of Fields as well.

Herbert did make the team but he is being listed behind Williams on the depth chart.

I think Damien Williams is Cohen, and might be a better Cohen than Cohen when Cohen gets back.

If Montgomery goes down, I think Herbert might be the guy to own.   But I've been wrong before; it might be the Damien Williams show.

I owned both in Dynasty and decided using two roster spots on the Bears RB2/RB3 before factoring Cohen's return wasn't a good use of bench space.   I kept what I felt was the higher upside stash, Herbert.

I think Nagy knows and likes Williams......the big question is did the year off last year knock him down a bit for performance.  I don't think we will know that until a few weeks into the system.  Until then I am riding with Williams. 

Not badly outplayed by Herbert in the preseason and had coaches speaking glowingly of him.

I roster Herbert in one of my mainers and didn't bother drafting him when I could have in another. Herbert is no threat.

Herbert    14 carries - 63 yards - 1 TD   --  5 receptions - 24 yards

Damien Williams   12 carries - 23 yards  --   2 receptions - 11 yards

Stating for information purposes only, I get that it's different situations and amounts to a hill of beans.   To be fair, I've heard glowing comments from Nagy for both this summer.   I'm not sure if Nagy typically is a cheerleader when asked for player comments, but it wouldn't surprise me.   

I scooped Williams as a stash late last year and was kind of disappointed to see the Chiefs cut bait.   The fact that they did and that Williams did nothing in the preseason to get me excited did factor in to my decision to drop.   I do think he's a worthy roster spot just to see what he looks like week 1.   Unfortunately, I just don't have the room and became a little more intrigued by Gio Bernard.   Herbert is more of a long-term stash that I'm not expecting to factor in for 2021.    Waldman dropping his Dalvin Cook comparisons and "curvilinear movements" must have charmed me.   He has also sunk drafts of mine by calling Darwin Thompson Dion Lewis with thump.   With that said, the last time I doubted a Waldman favorite I missed out on Ty'son looking like the strongest #2 candidate in Baltimore.   We'll see.

Fair enough. I drafted Herbert at 5.07 in a twelve-team draft because Waldman thought highly of him and I liked his highlights, frankly. His ascension only helps my team, so I'm all ears. It's just not what I saw out of the preseason nor heard from Nagy, really. Though he was complimentary of Herbert and Herbert's prominence in the return game is the proof in the pudding, he was also effusive about Williams. Whether he's full of it or not is something we'll find out, I guess.

Last edited by a moderator:
Damien Williams rushed six times for 12 yards, adding four receptions for 28 yards on five targets in the Bears' Week 1 loss to the Rams.

Williams operated in the Tarik Cohen role of old, spotting David Montgomery on passing downs. The former Kansas City Chief out-targeted Montgomery 5-1. Cohen is on the PUP list and doesn't appear close to returning, so Williams should be rostered in PPR formats. If Montgomery goes down, he'd inherit a valuable role. For the time being, he's better left on your bench due to a likely volatile workload on a weekly basis.

Williams looked ok last night.  I think he's worth a bench hold for the time being with the upside of his value maybe increasing to an every week flex play if/when Fields becomes the starter.  

Williams looked ok last night.  I think he's worth a bench hold for the time being with the upside of his value maybe increasing to an every week flex play if/when Fields becomes the starter.  
He is the handcuff to Montgomery, so if you have room he's an end-of-the-bench stash.

Obvious add for at least a few weeks if not longer depending on the severity of the David Montgomery injury.  In the Montgomery thread someone mentioned that Williams himself injured a quad late in the game.  Can anyone confirm this?  Guess it would be Khalil Herbert in such case.

The quad injury was reported by Matt Nagy after the game, and as far as I can tell there has been no update yet on the severity of the injury.

Ian Rapoport

⁦‪@RapSheet⁩

#Bears RB Damien Williams suffered a thigh bruise on Sunday and should be OK, source said. He’d be the starter in the event David Montgomery misses a few weeks with his knee injury. Montgomery may miss some time, though the belief is the knee isn’t serious.

Damien Willams rushed eight times for 55 yards and a touchdown, adding two receptions for 15 yards in the Bears' Week 4 win over the Lions.

Williams' touchdown came in the third quarter in relief of David Montgomery. In the fourth quarter, Montgomery was knocked out of the game with a knee injury. Williams racked up 50 of his 70 yards from scrimmage after Montgomery departed. If Montgomery misses Week 5, Williams would likely operate in an every down role against the Raiders.

How much FAAB we spending on him with Montgomery's health in limbo?  As a Montgomery owner, I have to attempt to pick him up, but I really don't want to spend a lot for him. 

ESPN's Dan Graziano reports David Montgomery (knee) will miss 4-5 weeks. 

Montgomery, who reportedly avoided a major, season-ending injury, will miss Chicago's games against the Raiders, Packers, Bucs, and 49ers. He could return for Week 9 against Pittsburgh, though the team might rest him through their Week 10 bye and save him for Week 11 against Baltimore. Damien Williams will likely serve as the team's primary back over the next month; his pass-catching prowess could translate to a three-down role. Khalil Herbert will be sprinkled in and should be rostered in deeper formats in case Williams gets dinged up. Williams should be a solid FLEX, at worst, with Montgomery sidelined. 

me too.  One league 0-4.  standing pat is not an option.  

I'm in first (look at me), but I have a few teams nipping at my heals.  He would cover Mike Davis bye week, maybe start over him period?

I would benefit marginally, but more importantly block others from benefitting significantly.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm in first (look at me), but I have a few teams nipping at my heals.  He would cover Mike Davis bye week, maybe start over him period?

I would benefit marginally, but more importantly block others from benefitting significantly.
Pretty safe start over Davis IMO.  Well good luck to us. I have the most BB bucks left & he will be part of my 0-4 squad.  This will also rankle the Montgomery owner as he has 0 depth at RB.  heck, I'm already smiling.

Monty owner spent $71 of $100 To get him in my league.....
Monty owner here. I upped my ante from $17 to $33 with the news that Monty will be out for 5 weeks or so. At first I thought Williams with a Q tag and low projection I might get him reasonable. Now I don't think $33 is enough. 35% of ones budget seems fair. Wonder what others are thinking as Williams is only a 5 week play with starting RB floor. 

Monty owner here. I upped my ante from $17 to $33 with the news that Monty will be out for 5 weeks or so. At first I thought Williams with a Q tag and low projection I might get him reasonable. Now I don't think $33 is enough. 35% of ones budget seems fair. Wonder what others are thinking as Williams is only a 5 week play with starting RB floor. 
I think 50% to 75%.  In my 0-4 league I'm going 93% because that is what it will take to guarantee I get him.  I'm not saying he is worth that at all.  

35% is likely not going to cut it.  Look at the RB landscape.  Monty is out.  CMC likely out another week.  Cook is banged up.   Mixon is banged up.  Damien Williams is nice piece to have while these guys likely miss time (well, Cook might not, but he probably should miss a game or two to heal his ankle).  Also he's a nice piece to have if you have RBs with bye weeks between 6-9.  Kamara, Ekeler, J Robinson, Elliott/Pollard, Cook, N Harris, Jacobs, L Murray, Swift, Carson, Fournette and Gibson all have byes during weeks 6-9.

Monty owner, after watching the Bears week 4 offense implosion I dropped D. Williams thinking it will be a RBBC with little offensive production if Monty goes down. Obvious regret now, but I still have A. Jones and Hunt to start but will still bid higher than I want to try and get D Will back.........

Could be one of the last splash waiver adds... I dunno maybe I'm overestimating. I'm at 69/100 (nice) and expect to get outbid. I've got Jones, Gibson, and Miles so he wouldn't be an unwelcome add but not needed per se. 

If you have all of your FAAB, I would estimate using at least 70%. The next 5 weeks are crucial for owners trying to make the playoffs. I would also drop a low amount of money on Herbert if he's available. 

Users who are viewing this thread