What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

RB Darrell Henderson, LAR (2 Viewers)

Memphis RB Darrell Henderson ran the 40-yard dash in an unofficial 4.53 seconds at the NFL Scouting Combine.

Henderson (5'8/208) was the king of the breakaway run during his time at Memphis -- he averaged 8.9 YPC each of the past two seasons -- but his run at the combine failed to move the needle much. We were hoping to see a little bit of a faster sprint, in all honesty. The Tigers back is more than just a speed merchant (he is deceptively physical), but that's supposed to be his special sauce. Even without his lighting the track on fire on Friday, Henderson remains likely to come off the board at some point on Day 2.

SOURCE: Josh Norris on Twitter

Mar 1, 2019, 11:32 AM

Bojang0301 said:
Careful, JohnnyU will come in here any minute and tell you how great Josh Jacobs practice film is. 

On a serious note: I’ll put my chips all in on a sub 4.45 and say that if he’s in a groove he hits high 4.3’s and cements his place on my board barring some horrible situation like NYG.
4.53, moderately disappointing. The good news is he’s still lining up to match Aaron Jones in a lot of different ways.

Updating a previous item, Memphis RB Darrell Henderson's unofficial 40-yard dash run of 4.36 seconds has been officially adjusted to 4.49 seconds.

We had an odd little sequence on Henderson when it came to his runs. He started out putting up an unofficial first sprint of 4.53 seconds, then seemed to follow that up with an out-and-out firestorm of a second run unofficially clocked at 4.36 seconds. That has now been adjusted back significantly, to 4.49 seconds. That 4.49-second mark is an official one. Henderson offers wheels -- just not, apparently, sub-4.40-second wheels. We'll see if he can come a little closer to that sharp (if ultimately phantom) mark come Memphis' pro day on March 27.

SOURCE: NFL.com

Mar 1, 2019, 1:46 PM

It’s what NFL network put up on the screen but go ahead and use hindsight to judge. Not really surprised given your ilk.
No clue what that means ("my ilk").  Was just joking around.  Apologies for it coming across dickish.

Last edited by a moderator:
Agreed, what is the ideal landing spot? Where does he go in real drafts realistically?
KC is ideal IMO. NYJ would be great too but not the best. I'd even take Oakland but I think they grab Jacobs 

I think round 3 is where he has been mocked but I'm not sure he lasts out of round 2. He could very well go end of round 1 to KC

KC is ideal IMO. NYJ would be great too but not the best. I'd even take Oakland but I think they grab Jacobs 

I think round 3 is where he has been mocked but I'm not sure he lasts out of round 2. He could very well go end of round 1 to KC
Yeah, tough to find spots for these guys. Three lowkey good RB landing spots are:

1. Atlanta- Coleman is out which leaves Freeman and Ito. Freeman is small, has had a lot of wear, has been hurt, has a big contract. These all lead me to believe he could get hurt anytime or could be released in a year. I like Ito but he's really a JAG and would provide little resistance for a very good back. Plus it is Atlanta and that offense is a great one to have a piece of.

2. Detroit- We all love Kerryon but a year ago Kerryon was an afterthought. We were surprised when Detroit traded up in the 2nd to take him. He played well but it was very limited and he got hurt- which was one of the major concerns about hims in the draft process. After him, there's not a single guy who deserves a carry set to be on the Lions next year. The offense has a lot invested in the OL, a top 15 QB, good pair of WRs and a coach who wants to run. There is room here for a Henderson.

3. Chicago Bears- Cohen's not a feature back and Jordan Howard has to be on his way out. Howard just does not fit with the style of football Chicago wants to play. A mobile QB with an inventive coach could lead to a great opportunity for a RB who doesn't run like he's stuck in the mud. 

Philly could be a nice landing spot. No one is talking about Buffalo and while that isn’t perfect it would be better than most.

Yeah, tough to find spots for these guys. Three lowkey good RB landing spots are:

1. Atlanta- Coleman is out which leaves Freeman and Ito. Freeman is small, has had a lot of wear, has been hurt, has a big contract. These all lead me to believe he could get hurt anytime or could be released in a year. I like Ito but he's really a JAG and would provide little resistance for a very good back. Plus it is Atlanta and that offense is a great one to have a piece of.

2. Detroit- We all love Kerryon but a year ago Kerryon was an afterthought. We were surprised when Detroit traded up in the 2nd to take him. He played well but it was very limited and he got hurt- which was one of the major concerns about hims in the draft process. After him, there's not a single guy who deserves a carry set to be on the Lions next year. The offense has a lot invested in the OL, a top 15 QB, good pair of WRs and a coach who wants to run. There is room here for a Henderson.

3. Chicago Bears- Cohen's not a feature back and Jordan Howard has to be on his way out. Howard just does not fit with the style of football Chicago wants to play. A mobile QB with an inventive coach could lead to a great opportunity for a RB who doesn't run like he's stuck in the mud. 
Atlanta would be perfect, I think that would be a great scenario long term. Detroit would be a huge surprise, they need depth, but I think that is a day 3 need, long after Henderson is gone. Good spot for Love maybe? Bears is unlikely, as they don't have picks in the 1st 2 rounds. 

If I had to rank landing spots, I'd say:

1. Philadelphia 2. Atlanta 3. Tampa Bay 4. Jacksonville(if Fournette is dealt) 5. New York Jets

Atlanta would be perfect, I think that would be a great scenario long term. Detroit would be a huge surprise, they need depth, but I think that is a day 3 need, long after Henderson is gone. Good spot for Love maybe? Bears is unlikely, as they don't have picks in the 1st 2 rounds. 

If I had to rank landing spots, I'd say:

1. Philadelphia 2. Atlanta 3. Tampa Bay 4. Jacksonville(if Fournette is dealt) 5. New York Jets
Good points there on the Bears. I forgot about their lost picks. As for Detroit, they are obsessed with running the ball. Nothing would surprise me. 

An NFL director of college scouting said Memphis RB Darrell Henderson's numbers are "hard to ignore."

Henderson (5'8/208) has two-straight seasons with an 8.8 YPC average, but his 2018 season was especially insane. On 214 carries, Henderson led the running back class in rushing yards per game (147), percentage of carries going for 8+ yards (33%) and 20+ yards (12%), rushing touchdowns (22), TD% (10.3%), and yards per target (12.8). The director does note that the opposing defenses Henderson faced were weak, which inflated his numbers, but this level of efficiency is pretty rare. Teams are probably split on how they view Henderson, but he probably will be selected at some point during Day 2.

SOURCE: NFL.com

Mar 10, 2019, 4:10 PM

Best comparison I think is fellow Memphis alum DeAngelo Williams. 
Without looking up Williams' measurabes when he was drafted, isn't Henderson smaller?  I remember Williams having a thick build, especially his lower body.

He put on weight as time progressed, as all backs and humans do. Lesean McCoy and Clinton Portis are two examples of this and Aaron Jones will be another example in the future. The crapping on backs in the 205 range by this board has been overblown for a long, long, long time now.

Damn, how could you say that and mean it?  Williams' legs are a LOT thicker. 
disagree as the legs are at a different angle in the pictures. they look the same to me. 

I didnt realize this was going to turn into a discussion on who has bigger legs... 

I certainly hope the cold water continues to be tossed on Henderson. it's only good news for me. 

Christ are we really going to do this look at the picture crap. Did Maurice Jones-Drew look 207? No he looked about 240... it doesn’t matter.
Oh I think it does matter.  Powerful leg RBs tend to negate their overall lack of weight.   Just my opinion of course.

Oh I think it does matter.  Powerful leg RBs tend to negate their overall lack of weight.   Just my opinion of course.
Well you’re wrong and even if I proved it to you you’d change the narrative. If I showed you pics of Jamaal Charles and Chris Johnson you’d tell me it’s because they had 4.3 speed. Since I cant win... why would I argue about you about picture?

Well you’re wrong and even if I proved it to you you’d change the narrative. If I showed you pics of Jamaal Charles and Chris Johnson you’d tell me it’s because they had 4.3 speed. Since I cant win... why would I argue about you about picture?
You just said a lot and came to a lot of unfounded conclusions about me, LOL.  Of course there has been skinny RBs that have succeeded.  I'm not arguing that.  I'm just saying I prefer a RB that is powerful and compact if he's lite.  Just a personal preference. Is that OK?

While I consider comparing any player to DeAngelo Williams pretty high praise I can see some similarities. 

He has really good vision and change of direction ability. Good footwork to work inside, great burst to finish when he finds open space.

This guy checks basically every box, from watching him, college productivity and combine metrics. 

You just said a lot and came to a lot of unfounded conclusions about me, LOL.  Of course there has been skinny RBs that have succeeded.  I'm not arguing that.  I'm just saying I prefer a RB that is powerful and compact if he's lite.  Just a personal preference. Is that OK?
Ya, I swear I’m not following you around every thread to troll you. We just don’t see a lot eye to eye. That’s ok. Maybe if you watched Alex Barnes or Alex Mattison we could be friends for a bit. 

Me too but it seems there are a lot of head coaches that think that type of RB cannot get the job done. This guy's landing spot is crucial to his fantasy relevance.

Dr. Dan said:
Shhhhh. I need him to slip to rb3 or 4. 

we need to talk up Montgomery and Sanders
Yeah I have a number of 1sts that range from 1.04 to 1.10, between a handful of leagues. I suspect (am hoping) I'll get Henderson in that range. So many top WRs and my leagues are all FFPC style so the TEs may go early too. If Henderson is who we think he might be then I doubt he makes it out of the 1st in rookie drafts.

Yeah I have a number of 1sts that range from 1.04 to 1.10, between a handful of leagues. I suspect (am hoping) I'll get Henderson in that range. So many top WRs and my leagues are all FFPC style so the TEs may go early too. If Henderson is who we think he might be then I doubt he makes it out of the 1st in rookie drafts.
one of my picks is 1.7. I dont want to use one of my premium picks on him. 1.7 is about right based on other mocks. I figure at least 4 wrs and 1 rb should go before Henderson in my draft. I'm hoping Montgomery or Sanders are the 2nd RBS taken in the NFL draft. Or that Hockenson starts to climb rookie draft boards.

NFL Film's Greg Cosell compares Memphis RB Darrell Henderson to James White.

Washington State RB James Williams is another player that Cosell compares to White. Henderson (5'8/208) is most known for his back-to-back seasons with 8.9 YPC, but Cosell really likes Henderson as a pass-catcher in the NFL. At Memphis, Henderson quietly caught at least 19 passes for 225 yards and two touchdowns in three-straight seasons. Henderson is an interesting Day 2 piece with some fantasy upside for PPR leagues if he can land in the right offense.

SOURCE: Ross Tucker Podcast

Mar 16, 2019, 1:52 PM

Users who are viewing this thread