What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

RB David Montgomery, DET (6 Viewers)

when is he expected back?

Not entirely sure but I would think straight after the bye, so week 10. Might be some on going pain management.
Conventional wisdom would say after the bye, but it's possible with Gibbs playing so well, they could rest him in week 10 as well, as this is a team with Super Bowl aspirations.

I have a hard time seeing Monty not wanting to be out there for Chicago in week 11.

Not entirely sure but I would think straight after the bye, so week 10. Might be some on going pain management.
Conventional wisdom would say after the bye, but it's possible with Gibbs playing so well, they could rest him in week 10 as well, as this is a team with Super Bowl aspirations.

I have a hard time seeing Monty not wanting to be out there for Chicago in week 11.

He's going to L.A. and he'll be active IMO. Pretty sure we are not going into that game with 2 RBs on the roster.

NOVEMBER
  • 11/02
    The Detroit Lions waive RB Devine Ozigbo and sign LB Trevor Nowaske to the active roster from the practice squad.

Lions HC Dan Campbell said he has a “good feeling” about David Montgomery (ribs) playing in Week 10 against the Chargers.

Week 10 has long felt like the target return date for Montgomery, who was injured in Week 6 and projected to miss multiple weeks. His return is expected to have a significant on Jahmyr Gibbs, who has emerged as a lead back during Montgomery’s two week absence. If Montgomery returns to his normal role, we can expect to see him grinding out runs on early downs and near the goal-line, while Gibbs handles most of the receiving work. Montgomery would be a high-upside RB2 against the Chargers if he’s able to go.

The Athletic’s Colton Pouncy reports David Montgomery has returned to practice.
Montgomery returned to practice as he looks towards returning for the Lions’ Week 10 matchup with the Chargers. He’d been sidelined since Week 7 after suffering a rib injury against the Buccaneers. With Dan Campbell already saying it’s looking good for him to return, it gives fantasy managers even more hope for Montgomery to re-enter their lineups. Jahmyr Gibbs filled in more than admirably in Montgomery’s absence so it’ll be interesting to see how they split the workload.

He's going to L.A. and he'll be active IMO. Pretty sure we are not going into that game with 2 RBs on the roster.

NOVEMBER
  • 11/02
    The Detroit Lions waive RB Devine Ozigbo and sign LB Trevor Nowaske to the active roster from the practice squad.

But is he ready for a full workload (which I would expect to be about 50% of the touches)?

NOVEMBER
  • 11/02

But is he ready for a full workload (which I would expect to be about 50% of the touches)?
He should still get the goal line touches.

Dan Campbell was on talk radio this morning and when asked about injured players, namely Montgomery, he said he looked good yesterday but wants to see how he feels today and tomorrow.

Dan Campbell was on talk radio this morning and when asked about injured players, namely Montgomery, he said he looked good yesterday but wants to see how he feels today and tomorrow.
Was planning on starting both him and Gibbs. If he's not full go, there goes that plan (maybe for the better).

David Montgomery (ribs) was a full participant in Wednesday’s practice.
Lions coach Dan Campbell has already said Montgomery is likely to suit up this week and a full practice on Wednesday all but confirms that. Campbell has also used the word “committee” to describe his backfield going forward, but it’s hard to see the Lions moving too far away from Mongomery. The veteran back has 94 carries for 385 yards and six touchdowns this season. Though no longer an easy RB1, Montgomery will still sit in the RB2 ranks for Week 10.

David Montgomery (ribs) was a full participant in Wednesday’s practice.
Lions coach Dan Campbell has already said Montgomery is likely to suit up this week and a full practice on Wednesday all but confirms that. Campbell has also used the word “committee” to describe his backfield going forward, but it’s hard to see the Lions moving too far away from Mongomery. The veteran back has 94 carries for 385 yards and six touchdowns this season. Though no longer an easy RB1, Montgomery will still sit in the RB2 ranks for Week 10.
Giddy Up!!!

David Montgomery and 2 offensive line starters on track to return for Lions

Dan Campbell said Montgomery was getting treatment on Wednesday, and that the running back hadn’t suffered any setbacks. The Lions head coach sounded optimistic about his progress, saying the next two days are crucial.

“Yeah, I mean, I think certainly we know what David can do,” Campbell said, “but we know that Gibbs has gotten better every week, so we’re going to ask those guys to do things they do well and that helps our offense move the football.

“So, I don’t think necessarily sitting here talking to you right now, that I see Gibbs getting 65 plays. I don’t see that, but he’s going to get his fair share. We know what he can be and he’s growing. I think it’ll be a little bit by committee and make sure we get those guys touches. Gibbs will get his touches.”

18-80-2TDs
In 4 games he has 385 rush yds and 6 TDs

Gibbs will have 8-10 touches for about 50 yds
Gibbs will have at least 15 touches if not more
Not likely. If Monty is healthy he's still 1a. What that means I don't think anybody knows yet as it depends on wither he eally is 100 percent. But Campbell is not going to go away from Monty. That's not his style. He likes his veterans and does not disregard them as long as they produce.

18-80-2TDs
In 4 games he has 385 rush yds and 6 TDs

Gibbs will have 8-10 touches for about 50 yds
Gibbs will have at least 15 touches if not more
Not likely. If Monty is healthy he's still 1a. What that means I don't think anybody knows yet as it depends on wither he eally is 100 percent. But Campbell is not going to go away from Monty. That's not his style. He likes his veterans and does not disregard them as long as they produce.
I do agree with that, on Campbell liking his veterans, but Gibbs averaged 13.3 touches when they were both healthy. Don't think 15 is a stretch. Though it's also far from a lock.

It has been blatently obvious when both are healthy Montgomery is the lead back and Gibbs is COP. Its possible that Campbell changes his stripes but I don't see it.

#disgruntled Gibbs owner.

Own both Monty and Gibbs and I'm now loving the looks of the schedule.

I don't see a rushing D to be feared until week 17 @DAL. And who knows what could change by then.

Monty does not have break away speed, but his lead blocker does. The funny thing about that play was they had the wrong personel in the game and audibled to that run play. Monty was kind of embarrassed, he was running full speed and he watches Jamo just casually jog in front of him coming from 3 yards behind.
So what you are saying is… The only thing that Jameson Williams has caught all season is David Montgomery.

Monty does not have break away speed, but his lead blocker does. The funny thing about that play was they had the wrong personel in the game and audibled to that run play. Monty was kind of embarrassed, he was running full speed and he watches Jamo just casually jog in front of him coming from 3 yards behind.
So what you are saying is… The only thing that Jameson Williams has caught all season is David Montgomery.
🗡️ slain

Spacing is so important in today's league. Coach gets that.

Lions offense split backs - Week 10 film study | All 22 Films

HOW BEN JOHNSON USES A 60-OLD CONCEPT TO STUN NFL DEFENSES: LIONS FILM STUDY​

Back when I played h.s. ball we called this the Veer Offense. Haven't seen it in the pros ever, or at the college level in at least 35 years.

Ben Johnson is a freaking mad scientist.

Ben Johnson credited Spielman for feeding him a lot of creative ideas from the high school and college ranks.

Back when I played h.s. ball we called this the Veer Offense. Haven't seen it in the pros ever, or at the college level in at least 35 years.

Ben Johnson credited Spielman for feeding him a lot of creative ideas from the high school and college ranks.

10-12 index cards per week lol

edit

The direct snap to Monty hiking it through the legs of Goff came from one of the opponents for William & Mary when they were scouting Colby Sorsdal. That was from one of our scouts.

The suggestion to throw the flea flicker to Kalfi v the Seahawks came from Rex Ryan's kid (forger his name), he's a quality control assistant to WR Coach Antwaan Randle-El.

B.J. is open minded to any suggestions. Open handed living, transparent and always curious. Love Coach Johnson as an OC but his life philosophy also resonates.

edit

The direct snap to Monty hiking it through the legs of Goff came from one of the opponents for William & Mary when they were scouting Colby Sorsdal. That was from one of our scouts.

The suggestion to throw the flea flicker to Kalfi v the Seahawks came from Rex Ryan's kid (forger his name), he's a quality control assistant to WR Coach Antwaan Randle-El.

B.J. is open minded to any suggestions. Open handed living, transparent and always curious. Love Coach Johnson as an OC but his life philosophy also resonates.
Mr. Layne...curious what you think of Monty this week?

Gamescript should be positive, but everything I'm reading is saying the CHI rush D is the real deal. Maybe temper expectations?

Also, apparently the CHI run D is weak against pass catching RBs. Theoretically this could be a Gibbs game.

I own both, but I'm tinkering with the idea of benching Monty for one of T. Dell or McBride. Three solid flex options so a good problem to have I guess.

edit

Gamescript should be positive, but everything I'm reading is saying the CHI rush D is the real deal. Maybe temper expectations?

Also, apparently the CHI run D is weak against pass catching RBs. Theoretically this could be a Gibbs game.

I own both, but I'm tinkering with the idea of benching Monty for one of T. Dell or McBride. Three solid flex options so a good problem to have I guess.

You don’t want to know. I have consistently gotten Detroit RBs wrong 3 years running. I no longer ruin other peoples FF teams.

Yeah they are making the Bears out to be a historic run D or something with the write ups.

They are 4th in the league behind Philly, Detroit, and the 49ers in yardage allowed and well as #1 in ypc. They picked up two stud LBs in the off season. Detroit still going to run as their OL is healthy and quite possibly the best OL to run behind. Monty is a top 20 option, but if you have a good alternative might be a good week to roll with it. Will be a good test for Detroits run game.

edit

You don’t want to know. I have consistently gotten Detroit RBs wrong 3 years running. I no longer ruin other peoples FF teams.

Your timing with the trade for Gibbs was perfect. You gave up a nice piece (Addison) but well worth it.

I think this talk about the Bears run defense is likely some smoke and mirrors because teams they faced preferring to attack them through the air.

The Lions do face the Vikings twice still and at this time the Vikings defense is top 10 vs the run and pass in terms of expected yards against.

The Vikings have lost MLB Hicks though for 4 weeks, so remains to be seen how well they do without him. He has played almost every defensive snap so far and a key piece vs RBs.

It is possible Hicks might be back by then, but we don't know right now.

Eta - autocorrect gives and takes away. Likely more give in my case.

Last edited:

edit

I'm your huckleberry.

Listening to some Hayden Winks (Underdog Network...he's great) and he's thinking with MN blitzing under Flores constantly they may trust Monty more in pass protection.

That said, this isn't a great matchup this week. I've been starting BOTH Monty and GIbbs for several weeks, but not feeling to great about that this week with this D at MN.

So how worried are we about a drop off next year assuming Gibbs gets a bigger role? Or do we think they will stick with "if it ain't broke don't fix it" and give both backs plenty of work?

So how worried are we about a drop off next year assuming Gibbs gets a bigger role? Or do we think they will stick with "if it ain't broke don't fix it" and give both backs plenty of work?
The bolded because I think Campbell wants a physical team but the impact of likely losing Ben Johnson is tbd and frankly with so many mouths to feed I have some concerns about a drop off for everyone if the offense is a lesser version.

Just took him in the mid 10th round of a SF PPR Best Ball Dynasty Startup league. Over RBs like Conner, Mixon, Ekeler, A Jones. :drive:

Users who are viewing this thread