What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

RB Devin Singletary, NYG (7 Viewers)

I’m honestly really down on Lindsay, but surprised group think has gotten to the point Singletary is valued more.
The negativity towards Lindsay is probably overboard but I can see where it comes from and am victim to it too. A struggling offense brings in an uninspiring vet QB, an unready rookie QB, a defensively oriented head coach, one of the best pass catching backs in the league (even if he is a complete 0 as a runner), and his running mate (who was drafted in the same year in the 3rd and was touted as a 3 down back) has been built up all summer while metrics show that he was a better runner in some respects. Narrative street beats up everyone. I don’t think the consensus is higher on Singletary than Lindsay but those in love with him like myself are probably keenly focused on the fact that none of his “competition” is going to be on the roster next year 

The negativity towards Lindsay is probably overboard but I can see where it comes from and am victim to it too. A struggling offense brings in an uninspiring vet QB, an unready rookie QB, a defensively oriented head coach, one of the best pass catching backs in the league (even if he is a complete 0 as a runner), and his running mate (who was drafted in the same year in the 3rd and was touted as a 3 down back) has been built up all summer while metrics show that he was a better runner in some respects. Narrative street beats up everyone. I don’t think the consensus is higher on Singletary than Lindsay but those in love with him like myself are probably keenly focused on the fact that none of his “competition” is going to be on the roster next year 
None of his current competition.  But they easily could bring in their RB of the future out of the 2020 draft.  Singletary has opportunity in front of him, but his measurables were pretty bad.  Doesnt doom him to failure by any means, but I would have liked to see something good come out of his combine.  It was awful.  Below the 21st percentile on every measurable other than broad jump (41) and vertical jump (57).  Really uninspiring numbers.

https://www.mockdraftable.com/player/devin-singletary

None of his current competition.  But they easily could bring in their RB of the future out of the 2020 draft.  Singletary has opportunity in front of him, but his measurables were pretty bad.  Doesnt doom him to failure by any means, but I would have liked to see something good come out of his combine.  It was awful.  Below the 21st percentile on every measurable other than broad jump (41) and vertical jump (57).  Really uninspiring numbers.

https://www.mockdraftable.com/player/devin-singletary
His combine was abysmal. Unbelievably so. The best part is that anyone who watched tape on him, or even the limited amount we saw in game 1 here, can tell you that his combine measurables don’t match his play whatsoever. His long speed wasn’t special but his vision was good (as good as it could be with one of the worst o-lines in the country) and his agility and contact balance are elite. And the Bills still saw fit to take him in the 3rd, that is pretty solid draft capital.

Yes, they could take someone next year but that capital plus the contract situations of all others involved show that they would like him to be the guy and will likely give him a shot to do it. The only thing better would be for him to be walking into the job with no competition. That type of situation is a big opportunity and could give you great returns on investment if you buy into the player. I’m fine if others aren’t convinced yet, I am and there’s usually a couple guys in each league who are at this point

His combine was abysmal. Unbelievably so. The best part is that anyone who watched tape on him, or even the limited amount we saw in game 1 here, can tell you that his combine measurables don’t match his play whatsoever. His long speed wasn’t special but his vision was good (as good as it could be with one of the worst o-lines in the country) and his agility and contact balance are elite. And the Bills still saw fit to take him in the 3rd, that is pretty solid draft capital.

Yes, they could take someone next year but that capital plus the contract situations of all others involved show that they would like him to be the guy and will likely give him a shot to do it. The only thing better would be for him to be walking into the job with no competition. That type of situation is a big opportunity and could give you great returns on investment if you buy into the player. I’m fine if others aren’t convinced yet, I am and there’s usually a couple guys in each league who are at this point
He's a really interesting use case.  He was drafted one pick after David Montgomery in the nfl draft and is walking into a situation with just as much opportunity and less long term competition. Yet Montgomery is a top 4 rookie pick while up until a few weeks ago you could almost get Singletary in the 3rd. 

Prior to the combine there was a pretty large contingent of people that rated Singletary as a better prospect than Montgomery so this is really a massive reaction to the combine. 

I think even if you're not sold on the guy there will be some point this year where you can sell him for a pretty good return. As we get further from the combine and his opportunity/ability becomes more apparent then unless he completely bombs he should have a nice sell window at the very least. 

Devin Singletary totaled six yards on two carries while adding three catches for 25 yards on five targets in the Bills’ second preseason game Friday at Carolina.

He was the second Bills ball-carrier to see the gridiron after veteran LeSean McCoy, who had the first two series all to himself. Singletary’s biggest contribution came in the form of an 18-yard catch on a slick back-shoulder throw from Matt Barkley. The third-round rookie won’t wow you with his athleticism—he clocked a sluggish 4.66 at the Combine—but what Singletary lacks in straight-line speed he more than makes up for with his elusiveness (forced 96 missed tackles last season). The Florida Atlantic alum will likely begin the year behind LeSean McCoy and Frank Gore in the Bills’ backfield pecking order, but he’s still a worthy handcuff for fantasy purposes.

Aug 16, 2019, 11:06 PM ET

Well he has good power and catches pretty well. He had a slick over the shoulder catch in the most recent pre-season game. I'm still waiting to witness this alleged elusiveness in an NFL game. So far he looks to be a decent back, meanwhile Sanders and Montgomery demonstrate they might be special.

Despite the TD, not a good sign for Singletary’s early season usage getting one carry last night and the vets ahead of him looking sharp.

Then again, we knew he would be stuck until one of the vets got hurt and/or the team fell out of contention early.

Last edited by a moderator:
Then again, we knew he would be stuck until one of the vets got hurt and/or the team fell out of contention early.
Without knowing much about his draft profile, I grabbed him in a July rookie draft w this in mind. If they don't take RB early in 2020, he'll be in a great spot in an emerging offense AND he could be gold 2nd half of this season. His road to success isn't as long as it may seem

Dynasy rookie draft.

I'm in.  

📽️  >>>  WATCH: Devin Singletary scores first career TD vs. Lions

---------

Devin Singletary scores first career TD vs. Lions

Devin Singletary established a second-residency in the end zone throughout his three years at Florida Atlantic University.

He scored 66 touchdowns throughout his collegiate career, shattering FAU’s previous record (27).

... appears to be the running back of the future in Buffalo.

...One of the most productive backs in NCAA history
NFL TEAM DEPTH CHARTS

Buffalo Bills  RB: 

• LeSean McCoy,  DOB 7/12/1988 (31) 
  • Frank Gore, DOB 5/14/1983 (36)
  • Devin Singletary, DOB 9/3/1997 (21)

Despite the TD, not a good sign for Singletary’s early season usage getting one carry last night and the vets ahead of him looking sharp.

I’ve read recent speculation that one reason for this may be to showcase McCoy for a trade & not risk injury to their young RB in meaningless games. 

I have a feeling Singletary will be starting in Buffalo at some point this year. If not sooner then later. 

Kid’s a beast & he’s got a geriatric ward ahead of him on the depth chart. 31 & 36? 

Yeah - glad I drafted him. We’ll see what happens. 

I’ve read recent speculation that one reason for this may be to showcase McCoy for a trade & not risk injury to their young RB in meaningless games. 

I have a feeling Singletary will be starting in Buffalo at some point this year. If not sooner then later. 

Kid’s a beast & he’s got a geriatric ward ahead of him on the depth chart. 31 & 36? 

Yeah - glad I drafted him. We’ll see what happens. 
"Frank Gore will never stop." - me four years ago 

I don’t know.  That’s why I’m asking you guys.  
Hendro was taken right before but I had already made up my mind.  

Henderson should have a clear opportunity this year but for dynasty I prefer Singletary.

Gore is a guy that everyone loves and he's played incredible and longer than anyone could have expected but his is 36.

LeSean is 31 and he has looked great but I saw this from only a few days ago that speculates he could be moved if a team suffered an injury, like the one to Lamar Miller.

Buffalo Bills training camp 2019: These 40 players are on the roster bubble

Buffalo Bills training camp 2019: These 40 players are on the roster bubble

Posted Jul 24, 2019

There is no need to overreact to LeSean McCoy being on the Bills’ roster bubble. Buffalo added Devin Singletary in the third round of the draft while signing Frank Gore and T.J. Yeldon in free agency. If an injury comes about elsewhere in the league to a running back, Buffalo could be made an offer that they couldn’t refuse for the veteran back. That’s probably the only way the team would part with McCoy.

Gore is another back listed that is on the right side of the roster bubble. Brandon Beane and the coaching staff have openly gushed about Gore’s play on the field and leadership off of it. That being said, his age was a factor when making this list. Amazingly, Gore hasn’t hit a wall at age 36, but it’s bound to happen at some point.
Gore will eventually hit the walll.  LeSean is over 30 coming off injury with 'rumors' of him 'possibly' being highlighted for trade.

Is it possible that Zay Jones and LeSean McCoy are battling for Buffalo Bills roster spots?

...McCoy played 17 offensive snaps, Gore 10, while rookie Devin Singletary played one, and that happened to be his 9-yard touchdown run late in the second quarter.

I’ll assume the idea was to give McCoy and Gore this game to fine-tune because they’ll obviously be sitting out Thursday against the Vikings, and then let Singletary, Marcus Murphy, T.J. Yeldon and Senorise Perry handle the bulk of the run game.

Still, it makes you wonder whether the Bills were perhaps showcasing McCoy for a possible trade. Probably not, but it’s fun to speculate. I’ve said since the end of 2018 that I won’t believe McCoy and his $9 million salary will be on the roster until I actually see him warming up at MetLife Stadium on Sept. 8.
Singletary has a nose for the endzone.  He's short but solid with a forward lean.  I just like him and see him getting a shot at the starting job by next year if not sooner.

Last edited by a moderator:
Is Singleterry really THAT good or is this a case where hes going to splash a little bit in a time share than be a compliment to a top 3-4 RB in next years class? 

What we learned for fantasy football in the preseason: AFC edition

Of 100 qualifying running backs this preseason, Devin Singletary ranks sixth-best in PFF grade and 10th-best in yards per route run (2.42). He also ranks first in targets per snap (0.24) and first in targets per route run (0.42). This sort of usage backs up a recent report by ESPN beat writer Marcel Louis-Jacques that, “Singletary has carved out a Tarik Cohen or Darren Sproles-type role as the Bills’ gadget back.”

Adam Schefter‏Verified account @AdamSchefter

Surprise cut: Bills are releasing LeSean McCoy, per source.

6:36 AM - 31 Aug 2019
Best news possible for Singletary.

someone in my league just grabbed Gore so I figured this would be today’s news.

i expected Gore to be cut.

As a Duke shareholder i sure hope the Texans aren’t interested in McCoy. That’d be a wet blanket. 

Pretty proud of myself now.  Yesterday after noon I realized Devin was still on wire in short bench ten team league.  Dropped my kicker to pick him up just to wait on this possible news.   Now I gotta figure out who the hell to drop.  Probably Pettis.  

Wow, this is happening faster than I dared to hope. I DID build the potential of this scenario into Singletary's value--I made him one of my rare overpays this offseason by dealing Drake for him and got killed for it--but I imagined it might take some time if the Bills couldn't find a trade partner for McCoy. 

The fact that they said "#### it" and straight up cut him when they couldn't trade him shows how much they like and trust Singletary--and Gore keeps compiling, baby. 

I am an owner of Singletary and this obviously looks good for his impact this year.  I still don't expect much out of the gate though

Is Singletary ahead of Yeldon at this point?   Or does each have a separate role?
Evan Silva‏Verified account @evansilva

Devin Singletary gets big bump after Shady McCoy release but is now a candidate to be over-drafted in #fantasyfootball. * Limited pass-catching resume & offense not conducive to RB catches * Frank Gore will get work * TJ Yeldon (best receiving RB on roster) still there, for now

7:03 AM - 31 Aug 2019

------------------------------------

NFL TEAM DEPTH CHARTS

Buffalo Bills  RB:

•  LeSean McCoy  
  • Frank Gore (36 years old) 👴
  •  Devin Singletary
  • T.J. Yeldon

Devin Singletary gets big bump after Shady McCoy release but is now a candidate to be over-drafted in #fantasyfootball. * Limited pass-catching resume & offense not conducive to RB catches * Frank Gore will get work * TJ Yeldon (best receiving RB on roster) still there, for now

NFL TEAM DEPTH CHARTS

Buffalo Bills  RB:

•  LeSean McCoy  
  •  Devin Singletary
  • T.J. Yeldon
 I’m gonna go ahead and anoint Singletary a RB2  out of the gate. 🏆

Is Singletary ahead of Yeldon at this point?   Or does each have a separate role?
Singletary will be the lead back. Yeldon and Gore will rotate in some, but I expect Singletary to get the bulk of the work. The Bills love him.

And despite what Silva says, Singletary can catch the ball and I expect the Bills to do a bit more throwing to RBs this year, especially with Beasley being able to suck up LBers and safeties across the middle and the Bills having TEs that can contribute a lot more than last year.

NFL TEAM DEPTH CHARTS

Buffalo Bills  RB:

•  LeSean McCoy  
  •  Devin Singletary
  • T.J. Yeldon
This is quite the bad take by Silva. Granted it was preseason but Singletary was one of the best receiving backs of the preseason on a per touch and per route run basis. His limited pass catching resume is lack of opportunity, not ability. If he wanted to assert that Yeldon was better as a pass catcher, fine, that is a difficult stance to argue against based on the limited sample we’ve seen. But Singletary can do it. Gore and Singletary are a straight split RBBC at this point for early down work and 3rd down is probably also an even split RBBC between Singletary and Yeldon. This is great for Singletary.

Also, based on the preseason, Yeldon should’ve been cut because he was awful

This is quite the bad take by Silva. Granted it was preseason but Singletary was one of the best receiving backs of the preseason on a per touch and per route run basis. His limited pass catching resume is lack of opportunity, not ability. If he wanted to assert that Yeldon was better as a pass catcher, fine, that is a difficult stance to argue against based on the limited sample we’ve seen. But Singletary can do it. Gore and Singletary are a straight split RBBC at this point for early down work and 3rd down is probably also an even split RBBC between Singletary and Yeldon. This is great for Singletary.

Also, based on the preseason, Yeldon should’ve been cut because he was awful
Its not a bad take, it is accurate.  He is limited as a pass receiver.  He did not say he's bad, he accurately said limited.  People have to chill and just acknowledge accurate analysis even if they just drafted RB Devin Singletary in the first round of their rookie/dynasty draft as I did and I got crap for it but I saw the opportunity and am fine with what Silva said because it is accurate.  I love the limited amount I saw of Singletary's receiving ability but their is no doubt about it, his resume is limited but its ok because he's a rookie RB just coming into the league.

Having a limited resume is not the same thing as being "limited". I think it's fine to acknowledge and disagree on that. 

Its not a bad take, it is accurate.  He is limited as a pass receiver.  He did not say he's bad, he accurately said limited.  People have to chill and just acknowledge accurate analysis even if they just drafted RB Devin Singletary in the first round of their rookie/dynasty draft as I did and I got crap for it but I saw the opportunity and am fine with what Silva said because it is accurate.  I love the limited amount I saw of Singletary's receiving ability but their is no doubt about it, his resume is limited but its ok because he's a rookie RB just coming into the league.
There’s nothing accurate about taking only part of the picture and speaking as an expert because of it. His preseason work is part of his resume now. Call it small sample but nothing about his pass catching ability was limited.

Well, the road just got a little smoother. 
He was my 20th round pick in my IDP PPR. Dart throw, but since I went WR/WR/WR I knew I’d have to stack up - dion Lewis, Singletary, DThompson. Wouldn’t mind DThompson ascending to #1 as well, but one day at a time. First lotto ticket to cash right there. Gore is 137 years old & Yeldon is not good at football.  :pickle:

He was my 20th round pick in my IDP PPR. Dart throw, but since I went WR/WR/WR I knew I’d have to stack up - dion Lewis, Singletary, DThompson. Wouldn’t mind DThompson ascending to #1 as well, but one day at a time. First lotto ticket to cash right there. Gore is 137 years old & Yeldon is not good at football.  :pickle:
Just be prepared to wait until about week six on Singletary. 

Evan Silva Retweeted

Jared Smola

@SmolaDS

·

36m

Worth noting that Frank Gore out-snapped Devin Singletary 9 to 1 with the 1st-team offense in the #Bills' 3rd preseason game.

Evan Silva Retweeted

Jared Smola

@SmolaDS

·

36m

Worth noting that Frank Gore out-snapped Devin Singletary 9 to 1 with the 1st-team offense in the #Bills' 3rd preseason game.
A. They were showcasing McCoy in that game

B. 1 touch = 1TD

Singletary will lead the league with 150 TDs this year

Picked him up in 2 out of 4 leagues. Lolol missed by an hour this morning in one and already owned in my dynasty. 

Evan Silva Retweeted

Jared Smola

@SmolaDS

·

36m

That's preseason.  There's basically no doubt in my mind that Singletary will be the Bills leading rusher this season.  All that remains to be determined is how the committee workload is divided.

I should add that I definitely expect Singletary to be the goaline back. Go watch his college highlight videos.

He doesn't have too end speed so you're not going to see 80 yard TD runs from him. But he has tremendous vision, patience and balance. He finds the smallest creases, gets skinny though the hole, and runs through arm tackles. He was a TD machine in college because of those skills and I expect the Bills to view and use him in the same way.

I should add that I definitely expect Singletary to be the goaline back. Go watch his college highlight videos.

He doesn't have too end speed so you're not going to see 80 yard TD runs from him. But he has tremendous vision, patience and balance. He finds the smallest creases, gets skinny though the hole, and runs through arm tackles. He was a TD machine in college because of those skills and I expect the Bills to view and use him in the same way.
are you concerned at all about Allen stealing some of those redzone tds?

Users who are viewing this thread