What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

RB Devin Singletary, NYG (3 Viewers)

AFC Overview

Patriots, Chiefs win their divisions

AFC North is a three way tossup, let's say Steelers

AFC South is a three way tossup, lets say Texans

So we have Chargers, Broncos, Raiders, Jets, Bills, Browns, Ravens, Jags, Colts fighting for two wildcards

Pundits would say Chargers and Browns (or more precisely Browns winning AFC North and Steelers getting wild card).

The opportunity for the Bills is to leverage the disarray of the Dolphins, the secondary of the Jets, and the chaos of AFC North and South to sneak into the playoffs.

I'm far less optimistic about the Browns and Jags than most....so an 8-8 or 9-7 Bills finish and a wild card spot is not at all crazy imo.

From there, you beat the Steelers / Browns in the wild card game, then the Chiefs (where Andy always loses), then you cripple Brady in the AFC Championship and Brees in the Superbowl and there you have it.

:championship:
Yeah, I remember my first beer. 

;)  

Back to singletary, i say let the kid play & see what’s what. If he can’t pass protect, there’s your answer for the 2020 draft. 
Im not going to pretend to know how the workload is split up but I don’t see why the Bills wouldn’t be able to see what the have in Singletary even if he was the lesser part of a RBBC. I don’t see how that would hinder his development either. 

I also think Yeldon is better than the way you dismissed him earlier as well. He’s very good in the passing game and was solid whenever Fournette missed time (many actually thought the offense worked better with Yeldon in there since he’s more complete).

I own Singletary in one dynasty and I’m excited to see what he has but he’s not a great athlete (did not test well) and is coming out of a small school where he didn’t face top competition so it may take a while until he’s ready to be “the man”.

i think at least early in the season this will be a full RBBC with Gore, Singletary and Yeldon involved (at least Shady is gone). Hopefully Singletary owns a bigger share as the season progresses. While he didn’t test well athletically neither did McCoy and his running style is very similar so his style should work in this offense.

This coaching staff has been around a while now with only minimum success. They’re not interested in developing Singletary, their main focus will be 1. Winning and 2. Developing Josh Allen. Singletary’s playing time will depend on how he effects 1 and 2, above.

You’re not nitpicking, you’re using semantics to split hairs. 

I quoted what he said. Saying a team has aspirations of being a WC so they should do X is the same as saying “if they’re a wildcard team they should do X.”

For a wildcard spot? The Jags & Broncos, probably yes.

The Jets play excellent defense so it’s not about whether the Jets make it, it’s about whether they can beat the Bills, making a WC berth for buffalo even harder since. Again, Buffalo was 6-10 - I don’t see a 4-game swing in their W/L record. Maybe 9 wins gets them there. I’m still not seeing it. Hats off to them if they can do it. 

There will likely be more teams involved in the actual WC chase. I made a list. It’s right up there 👆🏼

Related to the topic, that subtle nuance actually changes the discussion fundamentally. If they’re indeed in “win now” mode, by all means - run Gore into the pile 15x a game & gingerly work Singletary along.

but if this isn’t their year, and they’re rebuilding (which i assumed they were) then they should play/feature Singletary to see what they have.

Didn't think this was a particularly controversial position. 
I mean, the Bills had the #2 defense in the league last year and arguably got better with some additions and with having some key guys get healthy. The Jets have a good defense on paper, but already have some key injuries and suspensions and never quite put it all together last year. 

I'm not saying the Bills are favorites to get a Wild Card, but everyone after the Chiefs and Patriots have some significant questions they need to answer.

Hey does the Buffalo OL look much better this year? All this talk of what McCoy had to deal with I wonder what Singletary will have to face. Seems he will need Allen to progress.
There's reason for optimism as the talent is upgraded a ton and they have some depth. But training camp injuries means they haven't played together as a unit much at all and Mitch Morse's concussions are definitely a concern. I also think they are making a mistake by putting Ford at RT for now instead of Nsekhe.

But Shady was reportedly super excited to run behind this line this year and shouted something like "going to be a lot of holes this year!" after breaking off a run in one practice.

So we'll see, but there is definitely more reason for optimism than last year.

I mean, the Bills had the #2 defense in the league last year and arguably got better with some additions and with having some key guys get healthy. The Jets have a good defense on paper, but already have some key injuries and suspensions and never quite put it all together last year. 

I'm not saying the Bills are favorites to get a Wild Card, but everyone after the Chiefs and Patriots have some significant questions they need to answer.
The bottom line is not many NFL team go into the season thinking they have no chance to make the playoffs, especially teams like the Bills that were just there two seasons ago.

The bottom line is not many NFL team go into the season thinking they have no chance to make the playoffs, especially teams like the Bills that were just there two seasons ago.
Exactly. I think the Bills knew last year was a rebuilding year. I don't think they see this year the same way. Maybe they're right, maybe they're wrong, but I think that they see themselves on a timeline of progress and their expectation for this year is playoffs.

Im not going to pretend to know how the workload is split up but I don’t see why the Bills wouldn’t be able to see what the have in Singletary even if he was the lesser part of a RBBC. I don’t see how that would hinder his development either. 

I also think Yeldon is better than the way you dismissed him earlier as well. He’s very good in the passing game and was solid whenever Fournette missed time (many actually thought the offense worked better with Yeldon in there since he’s more complete).

I own Singletary in one dynasty and I’m excited to see what he has but he’s not a great athlete (did not test well) and is coming out of a small school where he didn’t face top competition so it may take a while until he’s ready to be “the man”.

i think at least early in the season this will be a full RBBC with Gore, Singletary and Yeldon involved (at least Shady is gone). Hopefully Singletary owns a bigger share as the season progresses. While he didn’t test well athletically neither did McCoy and his running style is very similar so his style should work in this offense.

This coaching staff has been around a while now with only minimum success. They’re not interested in developing Singletary, their main focus will be 1. Winning and 2. Developing Josh Allen. Singletary’s playing time will depend on how he effects 1 and 2, above.
Oh come on - there’s like, zero hyperbole in this post. Where’s the fun in that 24 hours before the season starts? 

:pickle:

It’s more the Bills offense I’m concerned about, as well as facing tough teams in their own division. 

It’s more the Bills offense I’m concerned about, as well as facing tough teams in their own division. 
Week 1 is actually a huge game for both team with the Bills @  the Jets. If the Jets lose at home they could start 0-4 as they have Cleveland, @ Philly and @ NE the next three weeks. The Bills could likely afford to drop the road game to the Jets but it would still put a small damper on their playoff hopes/chances.

Week 1 is actually a huge game for both team with the Bills @  the Jets. If the Jets lose at home they could start 0-4 as they have Cleveland, @ Philly and @ NE the next three weeks. The Bills could likely afford to drop the road game to the Jets but it would still put a small damper on their playoff hopes/chances.
Yeah, it’s a tough way to start the season. Not just the Jets but CLE, Philly, NEP

But then again, if they start out .500 in that stretch maybe they are a serious WC contender. 

If I were a betting man, I’m not sure what i’d put $ on for the O/U those first 4 games...set it at 2 and take the U? 

Brutal schedule. 

I have high hopes for the guy because he's my #3 RB, but there's a pretty short list of 5-7 RBs who were fantasy relevant.

Last edited by a moderator:
love this time of year.  every rookie RB is about ready to take the league by storm.
While u aren't wrong this situation is a bit different as the starter was cut. In on 2/3 of my leagues but a bit sad I didn't get him in all.

Few rookie running backs become workhorses their first year.  And it is often a veteran with declining skills who gets the snaps instead.  In today's NFL, rookies have trouble securing the lead back role until they demonstrate they can be trusted in all facets.  I'm going to read between the lines from the following Brandon Beane coachspeak and assume Singletary has had nont insignificant issues at both receiving and pass protection:

https://buffalonews.com/2019/09/01/buffalo-bills-nfl-devin-singletary-lesean-mccoy/

At Florida Atlanta, he made just six catches as a junior in 2018. The Bills conducted a private workout with Singletary leading up to the draft and asked him to run some routes, but only so much can be learned when there isn’t anyone trying to hit you. But the instinct and vision Beane saw during the scouting process were evident in the preseason.

“Just seeing his natural feel,” Beane said of what checked the receiving box this preseason for the team. “You can send guys out for a pass and they can run out there, but there's a feel in zones, where to find the holes. There's a feel out there of just natural hands, catching the ball.”

At just 5-foot-7, the other question was about how Singletary would hold up in pass protection. If a running back is in the game on third down who can’t pass block, opposing defenses will send blitz after blitz.

“I'm not going to say he's perfect at either, but he's shown the ability to do it,” Beane said. “He understands protections. The first thing to do in pass pro is to understand protections and where things are coming, where the free man is coming that he's got to pick up. He seems to have a good grasp of that mentally. The next part of that is his technique. I thought early in camp, he was inconsistent with his technique. I think he's improved it, and I think he'll continue to work on it. He's shown enough to be in there on, I would say, any of the three downs.”

This dude is only 5’7”??? Holy cow. He is smaller then Darwin. I’m a bills fan and i just made a trade offer to try and acquire Singletary in my main league. Hoping it goes through. The revamped o line and Josh Allen being a dual threat i think is going to really make the bills a force on the ground. 

Offered Kenny G, Barber, and J Williams for E Sanders, Singletary, and Damien Harris. 0.5 ppr 12 team. Fingers crossed 

This dude is only 5’7”??? Holy cow. He is smaller then Darwin. I’m a bills fan and i just made a trade offer to try and acquire Singletary in my main league. Hoping it goes through. The revamped o line and Josh Allen being a dual threat i think is going to really make the bills a force on the ground. 

Offered Kenny G, Barber, and J Williams for E Sanders, Singletary, and Damien Harris. 0.5 ppr 12 team. Fingers crossed 

He's pretty thick and runs low to the ground, so his height isn't something that has concerned me. With his poor measurables, the things that I was most looking out for were:

1. Does he pass the eye test in preseason/training camp. He does, which makes me think that his game translates despite not being a great athlete. That isn't always the case.

2. Does the team think highly of him. I think that's clearly the case here. 

He's pretty thick and runs low to the ground, so his height isn't something that has concerned me. With his poor measurables, the things that I was most looking out for were:

1. Does he pass the eye test in preseason/training camp. He does, which makes me think that his game translates despite not being a great athlete. That isn't always the case.

2. Does the team think highly of him. I think that's clearly the case here. 
Agree on these two things. I'm normally more of a metrics guy (or at least athleticism matters to me in a prospect), so on that level he kinda terrifies me, but I just have a feeling it's going to work out in this case. If it does though, he'll break the metrics models. He'd be a true outlier. 

Agree on these two things. I'm normally more of a metrics guy (or at least athleticism matters to me in a prospect), so on that level he kinda terrifies me, but I just have a feeling it's going to work out in this case. If it does though, he'll break the metrics models. He'd be a true outlier. 
It's hard to say, there are a decent amount of guys we don't really have data on too, right? Outliers like Arian Foster (who was an UDFA but at one point considered a 2nd round prospect), we don't really have measurables on guys like him. He's bigger obviously, but not overly athletic or fast and never was. He was insanely instinctive and skilled, though. 

Sproles is another one, though we do have the data. Incredibly productive, 4th round pick. Even smaller and squatter. Now, he did have elite speed, that's a big difference. But he had a poor vert/broad and overall didn't scream difference-maker, measurables wise. Obviously he was a huge outlier due to his ability to make people miss. But he didn't fit the mold.

Note: this isn't a Singletary/Foster/Sproles comp at all. Just saying guys have broken the mold before, though they all do it in their own ways. I'm sure there are plenty of other examples, or guys that were injured coming out that we never even got reliable measurables on who had success. 

Singletary would certainly beat the odds if he turns out to be a long-term starter. But so far he passes the eye test like some of the outlier RBs who came before him did.

It's hard to say, there are a decent amount of guys we don't really have data on too, right? Outliers like Arian Foster (who was an UDFA but at one point considered a 2nd round prospect), we don't really have measurables on guys like him. He's bigger obviously, but not overly athletic or fast and never was. He was insanely instinctive and skilled, though. 

Sproles is another one, though we do have the data. Incredibly productive, 4th round pick. Even smaller and squatter. Now, he did have elite speed, that's a big difference. But he had a poor vert/broad and overall didn't scream difference-maker, measurables wise. Obviously he was a huge outlier due to his ability to make people miss. But he didn't fit the mold.

Note: this isn't a Singletary/Foster/Sproles comp at all. Just saying guys have broken the mold before, though they all do it in their own ways. I'm sure there are plenty of other examples, or guys that were injured coming out that we never even got reliable measurables on who had success. 

Singletary would certainly beat the odds if he turns out to be a long-term starter. But so far he passes the eye test like some of the outlier RBs who came before him did.
If he gets me 10-14 points as a BYE week PPR flex play, he’ll have done his job. 

Buffalo doesn't really "rebuild" from what I've observed of them.  They always seem to have the opinion internally that they are better than they really are.  Correct me if I'm wrong please, Bills fans. 
I don't think that's the case with our current regime.  Everybody knew perfectly well that last year was a tear-down year, and frankly it was sort of miraculous that they won 6 games.  Internally, everybody also knows that the playoff appearance the previous year was a weird fluke.  

Previous versions of the team were essentially run by a career marketing guy, so factor that in as well.

All in on him for Dynasty. Gore is just signed for this season, Yeldon 2020. Big time opportunity could come this season with an injury to either of them,  under performance or just outperforming one or both of them. And I believe at least one of those things will happen. 

I don't think that's the case with our current regime.  Everybody knew perfectly well that last year was a tear-down year, and frankly it was sort of miraculous that they won 6 games.  Internally, everybody also knows that the playoff appearance the previous year was a weird fluke.  

Previous versions of the team were essentially run by a career marketing guy, so factor that in as well.
Yup. The Bills had $54M in dead cap space last year, almost a third of the 2018 cap. 

The Bills traded away Dareus, Watkins and Darby in summer 2017 and then cut a ton of guys over the next year. I believe there are only 3-4 guys that were on the roster when McDermott was hired that are still on the team after just 2 seasons. If that's not a rebuild, I don't know what is.

At one point I read that not only had they spent the least in the NFL last year in their O-line, but it was like a third of what the 2nd to last team spent.

For fun, this was last year's Week 1 starters:

Nathan Peterman

LeSean McCoy

Zay Jones

Kelvin Benjamin

Jeremy Kerley

Charles Clay

Dion Dawkins

Glad Ducasse

Ryan Groy

John Miller

Jordan Mills

There are 2 guys on the entire Week 1 starting offense that are still starting (and Zay has gone from the WR #1 to barely the WR #3). In fact, there are only 2 guys from that group that are even still on the team!

If people think that turning over 95% of your roster in 2 years and 9/11 guys on offense in 1 year isn't rebuilding, they either haven't been paying attention or have a much different definition of rebuilding than most.

If people think that turning over 95% of your roster in 2 years and 9/11 guys on offense in 1 year isn't rebuilding, they either haven't been paying attention or have a much different definition of rebuilding than most.
I don’t disagree that they’re rebuilding, but of the 95% roster turnover, what % improvement would you estimate that to have resulted in? 

A lot will depend on how well Allen moves the ball, and how much he runs. 

I think he will be MUCH better than what they had at QB last year. 

Peterman was in 4 games with 1TD and 7 INTs and 3.7 ypa

Allen as a rookie put up almost double that and kicked in over 600 yards rushing.  

With pitiful WRs that are upgraded.  Not stellar, but upgraded.

They scored 14 or under in 9 games last year (2-7).

Of course, when so much is new, all you really know is that you don’t know.  But anyone assuming “it’s the Bills” is missing out on a lottery ticket opportunity  

I don’t disagree that they’re rebuilding, but of the 95% roster turnover, what % improvement would you estimate that to have resulted in? 
No idea. I think a lot (they improved a TON on the defensive side of the ball already last year compared to where they were with Rex Ryan), but it remains to be seen. 

Really, as it usually does, it will likely come down to whether or not the offensive line is actually improved (replaced 4 of 5 guys this off-season) and whether or not Josh Allen will be a good QB.

The talent level seems much better on the O-line, but they haven't really played together and haven't been in a lot of real game situations. They are probably the biggest, and most important, unknown for this season. The O-line was so bad last year that if they are even average this year I would expect to see much better things from the offense. 

DEVIN SINGLETARY RB, BUFFALO BILLS

Bills OC Brian Daboll told reporters Thursday that each of Frank Gore, Devin Singletary and T.J. Yeldon will have roles in the offense this season.

Specifically, Daboll stated, "They'll all have roles, which may be defined by what they can on a week to week basis." Rookie Devin Singletary is expected to split early-down work with Frank Gore, while T.J. Yeldon should take up a lot of the work on pass downs. It's a low-ceiling situation for all three backs, especially after considering Josh Allen's penchant for both scrambling and consistently throwing downfield.

RELATED: 

T.J. Yeldon

, Frank Gore

SOURCE: Sal Capaccio on Twitter.

Sep 5, 2019, 11:41 AM ET

That doesn't smell right. Yeldon can catch the ball but he's replacement-level once it's in his hands. He feels more like a backup option even in the receiving game. Haven't beat writers already been saying that despite his lack of receiving experience in college, Singletary has already carved out that role for himself? 

That doesn't smell right. Yeldon can catch the ball but he's replacement-level once it's in his hands. He feels more like a backup option even in the receiving game. Haven't beat writers already been saying that despite his lack of receiving experience in college, Singletary has already carved out that role for himself? 
Daboll is probably specifically referencing situations where the RB will be required to stay in and block. Not necessarily all passing down scenarios. 

Not that I've heard/read. They've said that he seems better at receiving than he's perceived and that he has potential to be a 3 down back, but I think once McCoy was cut and Yeldon was kept, most have expected Yeldon to have a decent role both on 3rd down situations and in game situations where a pass catching RB who is a good blocker is needed.

That doesn't mean Singletary won't get used in that role at all as well, but I don't think Yeldon is going to just be a deep bench guy. I think the Bills expect him to be used.

Brandon Beane said that Singletary has some natural talent at catching the ball and that he understands pass protection mentally just not physically, yet.  And he said that he has improved at both after starting off inconsistent and but more improvement is needed.  That is the kind of doublespeak that is said about a rookie who isn't good at something but where you don't want to discourage him because he is working hard and trying to improve.  But he is 5'7" and I can't think of too many small guys that don't become good receivers.  It is usually the bigger power backs that lack the coordination that prevents them from becoming good at it.

I swear there was a Bills beat reporter who recently referred to Singletary as a potential Cohen/Hines-type PPR steal. I remember being surprised at how FF-literate he was, because he was a reporter rather than a fantasy guy. 

Thanks guys, it looks like things are improving for the better, but I really don't consider what they have done to be really rebuilding.  They have not and they aren't really acquiring draft capital the way the Browns did and the Dolphins are doing. 

Sure, they replaced all of their replacement level players when schemes changed over as all teams do, but replacing a bunch of JAGs who don't fit the scheme with JAGs who fit the new coaches scheme isn't really rebuilding in my opinion. 

The Bills have been in 20 years of purgatory mainly because they don't do a full tear down rebuild, they just reload every year and go for another 6 to 9 wins.  They haven't won double digit games this century and it doesn't look imminent in the near future without a complete tear down the way the Browns did. 

Thanks guys, it looks like things are improving for the better, but I really don't consider what they have done to be really rebuilding.  They have not and they aren't really acquiring draft capital the way the Browns did and the Dolphins are doing. 

Sure, they replaced all of their replacement level players when schemes changed over as all teams do, but replacing a bunch of JAGs who don't fit the scheme with JAGs who fit the new coaches scheme isn't really rebuilding in my opinion. 

The Bills have been in 20 years of purgatory mainly because they don't do a full tear down rebuild, they just reload every year and go for another 6 to 9 wins.  They haven't won double digit games this century and it doesn't look imminent in the near future without a complete tear down the way the Browns did. 
I understand that the Bills are not a team that a lot of people pay attention to, but the bolded part is exactly what the current GM and HC did when they took over the team three seasons ago.  It's how they got up to #7 to draft their QB after a playoff season.  They're not doing a tear-down this year because they're past that part of the rebuild already.

I understand that the Bills are not a team that a lot of people pay attention to, but the bolded part is exactly what the current GM and HC did when they took over the team three seasons ago.  It's how they got up to #7 to draft their QB after a playoff season.  They're not doing a tear-down this year because they're past that part of the rebuild already.
How do you figure?  They aren't making any extra picks in any of the last 3 drafts. 

2019: 12335667

2018:  11345567

2017: 122556

Compared to the Browns rebuild. 

2018: 112234566

2017: 1112345677

2016: 12333444455557

The Browns had higher picks, and way more picks. Far more draft capital, the Bills didn't even have half the draft capital of the Browns rebuilds. 

Furthermore, thinking you're already past the rebuild over and over again without actually doing it thoroughly enough is why the team is in constant purgatory.  The team keeps deluding itself into thinking things like Josh Allen is a franchise QB, we are done rebuilding, and we are ready to win right now. 

I'm not trying to be rude here, it's just what I see from an outsider perspective. 

They had one pro bowl player last year and he retired. I'm pretty sure the only player on their current roster who has been to a pro bowl is gore. They have a few guys who could go for the first time this year, but they don't have a single player who's even in the conversation as being the best in the NFL at their position.  I'm not sure I'd say their rebuild is done. 

How do you figure?  They aren't making any extra picks in any of the last 3 drafts. 

2019: 12335667

2018:  11345567

2017: 122556
Just to use 2018 as an example, they traded away a bunch of picks (I don't remember the details) to move up in the first round for Josh Allen and Tremaine Edmunds.  You can't just count the number of selections made when calculating "draft capital."

The team keeps deluding itself into thinking things like Josh Allen is a franchise QB,
Oh, I see what this is about now.  Never mind.

They had one pro bowl player last year and he retired. I'm pretty sure the only player on their current roster who has been to a pro bowl is gore. They have a few guys who could go for the first time this year, but they don't have a single player who's even in the conversation as being the best in the NFL at their position.  I'm not sure I'd say their rebuild is done. 
Me neither.

This thread is getting way off-topic.

I'll just leave it at I don't blame anyone for being skeptical of the Bills. Their last has earned them that skepticism. But this new regime offloaded a ton of terrible contracts to dig out of cap hell, they've struck gold on several cheap FA acquisitions (hello Hyde and Poyer) and their drafts/UDFAs have been really really good the last 3 years.

Just to use 2018 as an example, they traded away a bunch of picks (I don't remember the details) to move up in the first round for Josh Allen and Tremaine Edmunds.  You can't just count the number of selections made when calculating "draft capital."

Oh, I see what this is about now.  Never mind.
The Browns drafted number 1 in that draft... I mentioned that the Browns picks were higher picks as well, so I wasn't just counting picks. 

I appreciate the responses and agree with you that things are getting back on track, I just think they are still a bit stuck in that same cycle of mediocrity and will be happy to be proven wrong if it turns out that I am. 

Thanks for the discussion, back to Singletary. 

Mulling over Singletary or Guice. Talent v opportunity (they’re both talented, but I really like #26.) Devin is by far the best back on the roster but it seems muddled how usage will play out. Derrius has been anointed this week by his HC but game script could turn it into a Chris Thompson day.

ANYWAY, love Singletary this year even with limited touches. He’s a dynamic playmaker.

Safe to cut in all but the deepest leagues.
Totally disagree. Bills offense is doing nothing - Gore showing his age and got caught in the end zone for a safety.

Would be surprised if Singletary didn’t get more play going forward to give the offense a spark.

Totally disagree. Bills offense is doing nothing - Gore showing his age and got caught in the end zone for a safety.

Would be surprised if Singletary didn’t get more play going forward to give the offense a spark.
Check the game log.

Users who are viewing this thread