What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

RB Doug Martin, Free Agent (1 Viewer)

I think his point was that the season was far from over when Martin went down, and drawing any conclusion as to whether he had a good or bad season is a little misguided.
He had more carries in 5.5 games than Ingram did his rookie year and yet a lot of conclusions were drawn there...

Speaking of Ingram, that's a fun comparison.

Ingram's career:

384/1608/12

Martin's career:

446/1910/12

Not all that different. I know Martin's got the receptions, but isn't he supposed to lose some targets to Sims?

I posted about Martin in a ton of length last season.
So you pat yourself on the back for being "right" on Martin, but refuse to admit being wrong on Wilson because he was injured. Interesting take.
I didn't refuse to be wrong on Wilson? I admitted I was wrong and that I didn't think he'd fumble away another season. And I wasn't right about Martin because he was injured... I was right about Martin because he was like RB28 before his injury too. Even if he doesn't go down he likely finishes the season as a RB3 maybe if he turned it on the last few weeks he'd have finished as a RB2. Also yeah, I do want to pat myself on the back for predicting Martin's downfall last season. I was one of like 2 people on these entire boards that I recall saying "Eh, he's going to have a bad season". Everyone else told me I was completely high but to me there was TONS of evidence showing that he was completely way over valued.
That's a lot of assumptions to make on 5 and half games. Bobby Rainey and Mike James were both viable fantasy players during 2013 when Tampa's offense starting playing better football later in the season.
Don't you be bringing any of that kinda talk into the thread now.
Can't let the flaws in his logic go. Had Martin stayed healthy all season and only replicated James' and Rainey's numbers he would have been on the borderline of the top 10. He likely would have outproduced them in all statistical categories, however. Also, before Martin was injured he had scored more points than Eddie Lacy, Chris Johnson, and Ryan Mathews. All of whom finished at or in the top 10 in most leagues by season's end.
Oh, c'mon. He had 116 carries and 21 targets through his first five games (pace of 371/67), so of course he had more points than those guys. Mathews had 67 carries and 7 targets through his first 5 games (there was one stretch of 5 games where Mathews got 121 carries and 19 targets and he put up 534/3+14/95 compared to Martin's 465/1+11/59). Lacy got injured on his first carry in week 2 and missed the next game, so he was at 61 rushes and 4 targets through his team's 5th game. Chris Johnson was closer with 94 carries and 10 targets, but his finish was due to scoring 1 TD through 5 games and 9 TDs through his last 11.
I think his point was that the season was far from over when Martin went down, and drawing any conclusion as to whether he had a good or bad season is a little misguided.
This. I wasn't saying he was having a great year, but he could have easily turned it around, and likely would have if he stayed healthy. And yes, I cherry picked those particular players to prove my point.

He had more carries in 5.5 games than Ingram did his rookie year and yet a lot of conclusions were drawn there...

Ingram's career:

384/1608/12

Martin's career:

446/1910/12

Not all that different. I know Martin's got the receptions, but isn't he supposed to lose some targets to Sims?
He'll lose quite a few targets to Sims.

Ingram's career:

384/1608/12

Martin's career:

446/1910/12

I din't say it was too small a sample size. I said you can't say a guy had a bad SEASON when he played just over 1/4 of that season.

I'm not sure what point the Martin / Ingram comparison is meant to make - Most people are aware that Ingram hasn't been given a legitimate chance in NO. Most people don't say "he sucks", most deride those that support him for believing "this year will finally be different" and that he'sll be featured in NO.

Grahamburn said:
FF Ninja said:
Dr. Octopus said:

Ingram's career:

384/1608/12

Martin's career:

446/1910/12

As Martin owner I hate that I have to use a decent rookie pick on Sims. I don't know much about him. When I watch his highlight reel he looks great. When I watch a whole game of his film, he looks pretty average. I haven't seen much in the way of pass protection for him. Does anyone know how he rates there? I would guess if he isn't very good, then he won't be a threat to Martin's catches anytime soon.

Dr. Octopus said:
FF Ninja said:
Dr. Octopus said:

Ingram's career:

384/1608/12

Martin's career:

446/1910/12

I din't say it was too small a sample size. I said you can't say a guy had a bad SEASON when he played just over 1/4 of that season.

I'm not sure what point the Martin / Ingram comparison is meant to make - Most people are aware that Ingram hasn't been given a legitimate chance in NO. Most people don't say "he sucks", most deride those that support him for believing "this year will finally be different" and that he'sll be featured in NO.
Not too mention how they accumulated those stats:

Mark Ingram - 37 games played

Doug Martin - 22 games played

Dr. Octopus said:

Not sure what your point is. Martin compiled quicker due to Schiano's man-love. Ingram compiled slower due to strange, sparse usage.

As for Dr. O, I feel like most people here do dismiss Ingram with a "he sucks". So that's why I compared them. A player considered sucky has similar numbers to a hype machine stat compiler. Also, Ingram is younger. So if we want talk dynasty, Ingram will be on a new team next year... wouldn't be shocking if he leap frogs Martin in 2015.

Grahamburn said:
As Martin owner I hate that I have to use a decent rookie pick on Sims. I don't know much about him. When I watch his highlight reel he looks great. When I watch a whole game of his film, he looks pretty average. I haven't seen much in the way of pass protection for him. Does anyone know how he rates there? I would guess if he isn't very good, then he won't be a threat to Martin's catches anytime soon.
Same could be said for Martin.

Dr. Octopus said:

Not too mention how they accumulated those stats:Mark Ingram - 37 games played

Not sure what your point is. Martin compiled quicker due to Schiano's man-love. Ingram compiled slower due to strange, sparse usage.

As for Dr. O, I feel like most people here do dismiss Ingram with a "he sucks". So that's why I compared them. A player considered sucky has similar numbers to a hype machine stat compiler. Also, Ingram is younger. So if we want talk dynasty, Ingram will be on a new team next year... wouldn't be shocking if he leap frogs Martin in 2015.

Grahamburn said:
I don't see it that way. I agree Martin looked average last year, but I also attribute a lot of that to the complete wreck that team was the first part of the year. When I watched martin's college game film I saw a complete back. When I watch sims I see a role player at best. I'm just not sure he's ready for that role in the NFL yet. He might be but I'm not sure how advanced he is. I know Martin can handle it.

Dr. Octopus said:

Not too mention how they accumulated those stats:Mark Ingram - 37 games played

Grahamburn said:
Seems like you are being deliberately obtuse. Martin has accumulated the same stats on a much poorer offensive team in half the time with a QB that cant even keep a backup job right now. He also makes his mark running the ball and thru the air. Ingram has been outplayed by multiple RB's on his own offensive juggernaut team with a HOF QB drawing the defenses attention. Ingram's "strange usage" over 3 seasons has a much more logical explanation, he's a one dimensional back that thrived on Alabama's awesome offensive line.

Sad too, loved the guy after his heisman and drafted him in 2 leagues as a rook, but its time to call a spade a spade.

Grahamburn said:
FF Ninja said:
Dr. Octopus said:

Ingram's career:

384/1608/12

Martin's career:

446/1910/12

I don't think Sims is necessarily a handcuff for Martin. From everything I have read Sims will be more of an outside player, and he may not be that great at running between the tackles. They may choose to use Rainey or Mike James more. Sims could be delegated to primarily a 3rd down back.

Grahamburn said:
FF Ninja said:
Dr. Octopus said:

Ingram's career:

384/1608/12

Martin's career:

446/1910/12

I don't think Sims is necessarily a handcuff for Martin. From everything I have read Sims will be more of an outside player, and he may not be that great at running between the tackles. They may choose to use Rainey or Mike James more. Sims could be delegated to primarily a 3rd down back.
I think that's about the best he'll be. A third down role player. I'm just not sure he is ready for that role in the NFL yet. His pass protection will need to be pretty good. I think he is more special teams his first season, then maybe he gets worked in to the passing game year two.

Seems like you are being deliberately obtuse. Martin has accumulated the same stats on a much poorer offensive team in half the time with a QB that cant even keep a backup job right now. He also makes his mark running the ball and thru the air. Ingram has been outplayed by multiple RB's on his own offensive juggernaut team with a HOF QB drawing the defenses attention. Ingram's "strange usage" over 3 seasons has a much more logical explanation, he's a one dimensional back that thrived on Alabama's awesome offensive line.Sad too, loved the guy after his heisman and drafted him in 2 leagues as a rook, but its time to call a spade a spade.
Quite the contrary. Much more acute than you here, as I delved into a fair bit of Ingram research last year. I didn't do it all year long, but I looked at snap counts the previous year and snap counts for half of last season and after looking through quite a few players, none were used more obviously than Ingram and Mathews through the first half of the season. It's not just that these poor guys were saddled with the 1st and 10 obvious running situations without any of the juicy 2-minute drill snaps, it's that the team didn't even let them on the field much at all when they knew they weren't going to run the ball on 1st and 10. So by putting Ingram in the game, it told opposing defenses, there's a 67-75% chance the ball is going to this guy. It was an insane tipping of the hand. If you go back and watch play by play, Ingram is almost always facing 8 in the box and these guys aren't just assigned that position, they are leaning in pre-snap. If you watch some Thomas or Sproles plays, those LBs are on their heels practically dropping into coverage as the ball is snapped.

So, in summary, that is what I meant by "strange usage". Even though the Saints are a more potent offense, Ingram did not get the benefit of that. He was still running into the teeth of the defense. Martin, however, played just about every snap for the Bucs. Not really doing anything impressive. Taking a GL plunge from time to time and exploding during 2 games which still inflate his 22 game stat totals. Additionally, it's not like TB was a terrible offense during his rookie year. They were 13th in points and 9th in yards, so no, Martin wasn't exactly roughing it during his rookie year.

And sure, Freeman hasn't caught on with a new team, but it's lazy (and maybe even obtuse?) to pretend like this negates his very solid performance in 2012. 4,065 yards on a 7.3 YPA clip with a 27TD/17INT ratio. That's nothing to shake a stick at and certainly contributed strongly to Martin's success.

So does playing 4 times the snaps* and getting twice the carries really make Martin's stat compilation in 22 games that much more impressive than Ingram's compilation while playing sparingly for 37 games? Quite the contrary.

*I made that up. I don't know Ingram's snaps in his first year. But Doug has 1127 snaps in 22 games. Ingram has 424 in 27 regular season games the last 2 years. So 51.2 vs. 15.7 per game. It was meant to be an exaggeration, but apparently it wasn't far off.

Ingram's career:

384/1608/12

Martin's career:

446/1910/12

I think that's about the best he'll be. A third down role player. I'm just not sure he is ready for that role in the NFL yet. His pass protection will need to be pretty good. I think he is more special teams his first season, then maybe he gets worked in to the passing game year two.
I'm not saying you're wrong, but it will be hard to justify an early 3rd round choice on a 3rd down role or special teams player. They passed on some pretty solid guard prospects (a glaring need) to draft Sims. The coaching staff and front office must see him as much more.

Best receiving RB in the draft. Tedford runs a notorious RBBC offense. The writing is on the wall for Sims' role.

Tedford spoke to the public for the first time since he was hired,

I dont believe that one back can carry the loadits just too physical, Tedford said. He didn't say much besides this,

"I think you probably need to have two to three guys that bring different things to the table. I think you at least need to have two, to be able to spell him here and there and keep them healthy."

He also hinted at using 2TEs which was expected.

Last edited by a moderator:
Tedford spoke to the public for the first time since he was hired,

I dont believe that one back can carry the loadits just too physical, Tedford said. He didn't say much besides this,

"I think you probably need to have two to three guys that bring different things to the table. I think you at least need to have two, to be able to spell him here and there and keep them healthy."

He also hinted at using 2TEs which was expected.
A few more details here:

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap2000000355467/article/buccaneers-jeff-tedford-plans-to-alternate-rbs

Not great for a guy like Martin's stock.
It's definitely not great, but many times the things said in May/June are not what actually happens once September rolls around. Coaches often speak of getting the backup more touches, and then keep feeding the bellcow once the season is underway.

If Martin shows to be much better than the rest of the Tampa backs, he'll be on the field more.

Obviously it wouldn't be the kind of news that Martin owners or backers would prefer to hear though.

Not great for a guy like Martin's stock.
It sounds worse than it is though. If anything use it as an opportunity to try and get Martin at a discounted price. Look at the success that Cal RBs had from 2003-2011 under Tedford. There is always a lead back who gets about 200-300 carries and a 2nd back who gets about 100 carries. And that was only over the course of a 12 game season. I would expect Martin to be the lead back and get about 250 carries and maybe 30 catches. Still very capable of putting up RB1 numbers with that. Whether the 2nd back is Sims or Mike James, I'm not too worried about Martin's production. I never bought into him being ranked as a top 5 fantasy RB anyway. I think 2nd half of the top 10 is more accurate.

Worst case scenario you are looking at a FJax/Spiller, Bush/Bell, Ridley/Vereen, Mathews/Woodhead type situation. Not the end of the world. You may even get two viable starters out of the Tampa Bay Backfield.

Dr. Octopus said:
It's definitely not great, but many times the things said in May/June are not what actually happens once September rolls around. Coaches often speak of getting the backup more touches, and then keep feeding the bellcow once the season is underway.If Martin shows to be much better than the rest of the Tampa backs, he'll be on the field more.
Actions speak louder than words.

Tedford's comments coincide with the offense he ran at Cal. He didn't depend on one back. I tend to buy into what he's selling right now in June. With Sims in the mix, Doug Martin doesn't have a great chance of reaching 330 carries, so his upside may have lessened a bit. But, somewhere between 225 - 280 will not reduce him to worthless.

Martin's role in the passing game worries me a little, but not much. Sims is pretty good at catching passes, but I wouldn't think good enough to exclude Martin altogether.

Dr. Octopus said:
It's definitely not great, but many times the things said in May/June are not what actually happens once September rolls around. Coaches often speak of getting the backup more touches, and then keep feeding the bellcow once the season is underway.If Martin shows to be much better than the rest of the Tampa backs, he'll be on the field more.

Tedford's comments coincide with the offense he ran at Cal. He didn't depend on one back. I tend to buy into what he's selling right now in June. With Sims in the mix, Doug Martin doesn't have a great chance of reaching 330 carries, so his upside may have lessened a bit. But, somewhere between 225 - 280 will not reduce him to worthless.

Martin's role in the passing game worries me a little, but not much. Sims is pretty good at catching passes, but I wouldn't think good enough to exclude Martin altogether.
Sure, his comments are certainly not worthless by any means. College is a little different though since coaches need to worry about recruitment of top players - so the promise of carries and the ability to show that carries are available right away become attractive to a young HS RB that is making a decision on where he will be playing college ball.

Actions do speak louder than words, but we haven't really seen what the "actions" are yet. Like I said the offseason is littered with coachspeak about reducing workloads and getting more people involved, which often times does not become the reality in season.

With that said, there's little else to go by at this point and I do agree the drafting of Simms wasn't a great thing for Martin's reception numbers most likely.

Sure, his comments are certainly not worthless by any means. College is a little different though since coaches need to worry about recruitment of top players - so the promise of carries and the ability to show that carries are available right away become attractive to a young HS RB that is making a decision on where he will be playing college ball.

Actions do speak louder than words, but we haven't really seen what the "actions" are yet. Like I said the offseason is littered with coachspeak about reducing workloads and getting more people involved, which often times does not become the reality in season.

With that said, there's little else to go by at this point and I do agree the drafting of Simms wasn't a great thing for Martin's reception numbers most likely.
Sometimes a coach will make a promise quite obviously the opposite of his nature. When Scott Linehan vows to focus on running the ball, you take it with a grain of salt, or even ignore it altogether. Other times, a coordinator will make a quite obvious vow, such as this case. Tedford makes a comment which coincides with his past tendencies. Granted, a college scheme could differ from the NFL. I still think we have a pretty clear picture of what Tedford wants to do. And offensive coordinator's intentions have a significant impact on our fantasy player's production.

We have yet to see it play out. I'm sure performance will dictate which running back gets the ball most. Maybe Doug Martin puts Sims to shame, or the opposite, or most likely they both play comparably. We do know that the coach intends to involve them both, so Sims will get an opportunity.

Honestly, I believe this news affects Sims' value more than Martin's.

Charles Sims has done an excellent job. You know hes a bigger back who can run between the tackles. He runs with low pad level. He catches the ball really, really well, Tedford said. Assignments, you know, hes coming along with that. Hes a good learner that way. And then, you know, you cant really tell right now as far as pass protection but he looks like it, and on tape it looked like he can pass protect. So you feel pretty good.

Here's some quick data from Tedford's RBs between 2002-2012. Top chart is rushing attempts per game and bottom chart is receptions per game.

[SIZE=10pt]2002[/SIZE]

[SIZE=10pt]24.7[/SIZE]
[SIZE=10pt]Joe Igber [/SIZE]

[SIZE=10pt]20.1[/SIZE]​
[SIZE=10pt]Terrell Williams [/SIZE]

[SIZE=10pt]4.6[/SIZE]​
[SIZE=10pt]2003[/SIZE]

[SIZE=10pt]29.6[/SIZE]
[SIZE=10pt]Adimchinobe Echemandu [/SIZE]

[SIZE=10pt]18.3[/SIZE]​
[SIZE=10pt]J.J. Arrington [/SIZE]

[SIZE=10pt]8.2[/SIZE]​
[SIZE=10pt]Marcus O'Keith [/SIZE]

[SIZE=10pt]3.1[/SIZE]​
[SIZE=10pt]2004[/SIZE]

[SIZE=10pt]30[/SIZE]

[SIZE=10pt]24.1[/SIZE]​
[SIZE=10pt]Marshawn Lynch [/SIZE]

[SIZE=10pt]5.9[/SIZE]​
[SIZE=10pt]2005[/SIZE]

[SIZE=10pt]30.6[/SIZE]

[SIZE=10pt]19.6[/SIZE]​
[SIZE=10pt]Justin Forsett [/SIZE]

[SIZE=10pt]11[/SIZE]​
[SIZE=10pt]2006[/SIZE]

[SIZE=10pt]28.8[/SIZE]

[SIZE=10pt]17.2[/SIZE]​

[SIZE=10pt]9.2[/SIZE]​

[SIZE=10pt]2.4[/SIZE]​
[SIZE=10pt]2007[/SIZE]

[SIZE=10pt]29.1[/SIZE]

[SIZE=10pt]23.4[/SIZE]​
[SIZE=10pt]Jahvid Best [/SIZE]

[SIZE=10pt]2.9[/SIZE]​
[SIZE=10pt]James Montgomery [/SIZE]

[SIZE=10pt]2.8[/SIZE]​
[SIZE=10pt]2008[/SIZE]

[SIZE=10pt]29.4[/SIZE]

[SIZE=10pt]16.2[/SIZE]​
[SIZE=10pt]Shane Vereen [/SIZE]

[SIZE=10pt]10.9[/SIZE]​
[SIZE=10pt]Peter Geurts [/SIZE]

[SIZE=10pt]2.3[/SIZE]​
[SIZE=10pt]2009[/SIZE]

[SIZE=10pt]33.2[/SIZE]

[SIZE=10pt]15.7[/SIZE]​

[SIZE=10pt]14.1[/SIZE]​
[SIZE=10pt]Covaughn DeBoskie [/SIZE]

[SIZE=10pt]3.4[/SIZE]​
[SIZE=10pt]2010[/SIZE]

[SIZE=10pt]34.9[/SIZE]

[SIZE=10pt]19.3[/SIZE]​
[SIZE=10pt]Isi Sofele [/SIZE]

[SIZE=10pt]6.3[/SIZE]​
[SIZE=10pt]Covaughn DeBoskie-Johnson [/SIZE]

[SIZE=10pt]5.3[/SIZE]​
[SIZE=10pt]Dasarte Yarnway [/SIZE]

[SIZE=10pt]4[/SIZE]​
[SIZE=10pt]2011[/SIZE]

[SIZE=10pt]38.7[/SIZE]

[SIZE=10pt]19.4[/SIZE]​

[SIZE=10pt]11[/SIZE]​
[SIZE=10pt]C.J. Anderson [/SIZE]

[SIZE=10pt]5.5[/SIZE]​
[SIZE=10pt]Mike Manuel [/SIZE]

[SIZE=10pt]2.8[/SIZE]​
[SIZE=10pt]2012[/SIZE]

[SIZE=10pt]26.7[/SIZE]

[SIZE=10pt]12.2[/SIZE]​

[SIZE=10pt]10.5[/SIZE]​
[SIZE=10pt]Brendan Bigelow [/SIZE]

[SIZE=10pt]4[/SIZE]​
[SIZE=10pt]2002[/SIZE]

[SIZE=10pt]3.6[/SIZE]

[SIZE=10pt]2.8[/SIZE]​
[SIZE=10pt]Chris Manderino [/SIZE]

[SIZE=10pt]0.5[/SIZE]​

[SIZE=10pt]0.3[/SIZE]​
[SIZE=10pt]2003[/SIZE]

[SIZE=10pt]4.6[/SIZE]

[SIZE=10pt]1.7[/SIZE]​

[SIZE=10pt]1.6[/SIZE]​

[SIZE=10pt]0.9[/SIZE]​

[SIZE=10pt]0.3[/SIZE]​
[SIZE=10pt]Byron Storer [/SIZE]

[SIZE=10pt]0.1[/SIZE]​
[SIZE=10pt]2004[/SIZE]

[SIZE=10pt]4.7[/SIZE]

[SIZE=10pt]1.8[/SIZE]​

[SIZE=10pt]1.6[/SIZE]​

[SIZE=10pt]0.9[/SIZE]​

[SIZE=10pt]0.2[/SIZE]​

[SIZE=10pt]0.1[/SIZE]​
[SIZE=10pt]Steve Levy [/SIZE]

[SIZE=10pt]0.1[/SIZE]​
[SIZE=10pt]2005[/SIZE]

[SIZE=10pt]3.5[/SIZE]

[SIZE=10pt]1.5[/SIZE]​

[SIZE=10pt]1.1[/SIZE]​

[SIZE=10pt]0.6[/SIZE]​

[SIZE=10pt]0.3[/SIZE]​
[SIZE=10pt]2006[/SIZE]

[SIZE=10pt]5.2[/SIZE]

[SIZE=10pt]2.6[/SIZE]​

[SIZE=10pt]0.9[/SIZE]​

[SIZE=10pt]0.7[/SIZE]​
[SIZE=10pt]Bryan Schutte [/SIZE]

[SIZE=10pt]0.4[/SIZE]​

[SIZE=10pt]0.4[/SIZE]​
[SIZE=10pt]Will Ta'ufo'ou [/SIZE]

[SIZE=10pt]0.2[/SIZE]​
[SIZE=10pt]2007[/SIZE]

[SIZE=10pt]3.8[/SIZE]

[SIZE=10pt]1.7[/SIZE]​

[SIZE=10pt]1.3[/SIZE]​

[SIZE=10pt]0.4[/SIZE]​

[SIZE=10pt]0.3[/SIZE]​
[SIZE=10pt]Zach Smith [/SIZE]

[SIZE=10pt]0.1[/SIZE]​
[SIZE=10pt]2008[/SIZE]

[SIZE=10pt]5.2[/SIZE]

[SIZE=10pt]2.3[/SIZE]​

[SIZE=10pt]2.1[/SIZE]​

[SIZE=10pt]0.5[/SIZE]​
[SIZE=10pt]Tracy Slocum [/SIZE]

[SIZE=10pt]0.2[/SIZE]​

[SIZE=10pt]0.1[/SIZE]​
[SIZE=10pt]2009[/SIZE]

[SIZE=10pt]4.9[/SIZE]

[SIZE=10pt]2.4[/SIZE]​

[SIZE=10pt]1.9[/SIZE]​
[SIZE=10pt]Brian Holley [/SIZE]

[SIZE=10pt]0.5[/SIZE]​
[SIZE=10pt]Will Kapp [/SIZE]

[SIZE=10pt]0.1[/SIZE]​
[SIZE=10pt]2010[/SIZE]

[SIZE=10pt]2.6[/SIZE]

[SIZE=10pt]1.8[/SIZE]​

[SIZE=10pt]0.5[/SIZE]​

[SIZE=10pt]0.3[/SIZE]​
[SIZE=10pt]2011[/SIZE]

[SIZE=10pt]2.5[/SIZE]

[SIZE=10pt]0.7[/SIZE]​

[SIZE=10pt]0.5[/SIZE]​

[SIZE=10pt]0.5[/SIZE]​

[SIZE=10pt]0.5[/SIZE]​

[SIZE=10pt]0.3[/SIZE]​
[SIZE=10pt]2012[/SIZE]

[SIZE=10pt]2.5[/SIZE]

[SIZE=10pt]1.3[/SIZE]​

[SIZE=10pt]0.6[/SIZE]​

[SIZE=10pt]0.6[/SIZE]​

Charles Sims has done an excellent job. You know hes a bigger back who can run between the tackles. He runs with low pad level. He catches the ball really, really well, Tedford said. Assignments, you know, hes coming along with that. Hes a good learner that way. And then, you know, you cant really tell right now as far as pass protection but he looks like it, and on tape it looked like he can pass protect. So you feel pretty good.
Sims was my favorite RB in this draft to watch. As a pure runner it was actually Seastrunk but Sims could do it all rushing and receiving.

Martin is still the primary RB but I do think his carries will be less than they were in 2012 (319) and Sims will be in on most 3rd downs.

Dr. Octopus said:

It shouldn't have that big of an impact. In 2012, Martin only had 6 of his 70 targets on 3rd downs - that job was mainly handled by Danny Ware.

The concern would be if Sims plays more on 1st and 2nd down since Martin did most of his damage (299 carries and 45 catches) on those downs.

And then, you know, you cant really tell right now as far as pass protection but he looks like it, and on tape it looked like he can pass protect. So you feel pretty good.
It seems everyone is anointing Sims as the 3rd down back but this seems less than 100% sure he can get the protections down.

Rotoworld:

Speaking Tuesday, coach Lovie Smith insisted Doug Martin will remain an integral part of the Bucs' offense.

Smith dismissively referred to talk of a diminished role for Martin as "chatter," while also admitting his workload will decrease. Smith's point is that Martin's role will remain big, just not as big as it was. "One running back just can't make it through the season," Smith said. Martin clearly won't be the 80-percent-of-the-snaps player he was in 2012-13, but remains an RB2 with RB1 upside. Third-rounder Charles Sims is going to eat into Martin's work on passing downs.

Related: Charles Sims

Source: Tampa Bay Times

Jun 10 - 6:47 PM

Rotoworld:

Doug Martin - RB - Buccaneers

ESPN Buccaneers reporter Pat Yasinskas confirms Doug Martin "is the starter," but says the Bucs "want to use a rotation" at tailback this year.

The Bucs' new front office and coaching staff didn't draft Martin. They did draft Charles Sims with a top-70 pick, and Mike James returns after averaging nearly 5.0 yards per carry on 60 attempts. Bobby Rainey is also on the roster. We fully expect Martin to lead Tampa Bay in 2014 rushing attempts, but he may be spelled fairly regularly by passing-down specialist Sims, and possibly James. OC Jeff Tedford is an admitted proponent of RBBCs.

Source: ESPN.com

Jun 20 - 1:30 PM

Here's some quick data from Tedford's RBs between 2002-2012. Top chart is rushing attempts per game and bottom chart is receptions per game.

[SIZE=10pt]2002[/SIZE]

[SIZE=10pt]24.7[/SIZE]

[SIZE=10pt]20.1[/SIZE]​

[SIZE=10pt]4.6[/SIZE]​
[SIZE=10pt]2003[/SIZE]

[SIZE=10pt]29.6[/SIZE]

[SIZE=10pt]18.3[/SIZE]​

[SIZE=10pt]8.2[/SIZE]​

[SIZE=10pt]3.1[/SIZE]​
[SIZE=10pt]2004[/SIZE]

[SIZE=10pt]30[/SIZE]

[SIZE=10pt]24.1[/SIZE]​

[SIZE=10pt]5.9[/SIZE]​
[SIZE=10pt]2005[/SIZE]

[SIZE=10pt]30.6[/SIZE]

[SIZE=10pt]19.6[/SIZE]​

[SIZE=10pt]11[/SIZE]​
[SIZE=10pt]2006[/SIZE]

[SIZE=10pt]28.8[/SIZE]

[SIZE=10pt]17.2[/SIZE]​

[SIZE=10pt]9.2[/SIZE]​

[SIZE=10pt]2.4[/SIZE]​
[SIZE=10pt]2007[/SIZE]

[SIZE=10pt]29.1[/SIZE]

[SIZE=10pt]23.4[/SIZE]​

[SIZE=10pt]2.9[/SIZE]​

[SIZE=10pt]2.8[/SIZE]​
[SIZE=10pt]2008[/SIZE]

[SIZE=10pt]29.4[/SIZE]

[SIZE=10pt]16.2[/SIZE]​

[SIZE=10pt]10.9[/SIZE]​
[SIZE=10pt]Peter Geurts [/SIZE]

[SIZE=10pt]2.3[/SIZE]​
[SIZE=10pt]2009[/SIZE]

[SIZE=10pt]33.2[/SIZE]

[SIZE=10pt]15.7[/SIZE]​

[SIZE=10pt]14.1[/SIZE]​
[SIZE=10pt]Covaughn DeBoskie [/SIZE]

[SIZE=10pt]3.4[/SIZE]​
[SIZE=10pt]2010[/SIZE]

[SIZE=10pt]34.9[/SIZE]

[SIZE=10pt]19.3[/SIZE]​

[SIZE=10pt]6.3[/SIZE]​

[SIZE=10pt]5.3[/SIZE]​

[SIZE=10pt]4[/SIZE]​
[SIZE=10pt]2011[/SIZE]

[SIZE=10pt]38.7[/SIZE]

[SIZE=10pt]19.4[/SIZE]​

[SIZE=10pt]11[/SIZE]​

[SIZE=10pt]5.5[/SIZE]​

[SIZE=10pt]2.8[/SIZE]​
[SIZE=10pt]2012[/SIZE]

[SIZE=10pt]26.7[/SIZE]

[SIZE=10pt]12.2[/SIZE]​

[SIZE=10pt]10.5[/SIZE]​

[SIZE=10pt]4[/SIZE]​
[SIZE=10pt]2002[/SIZE]

[SIZE=10pt]3.6[/SIZE]

[SIZE=10pt]2.8[/SIZE]​

[SIZE=10pt]0.5[/SIZE]​

[SIZE=10pt]0.3[/SIZE]​
[SIZE=10pt]2003[/SIZE]

[SIZE=10pt]4.6[/SIZE]

[SIZE=10pt]1.7[/SIZE]​

[SIZE=10pt]1.6[/SIZE]​

[SIZE=10pt]0.9[/SIZE]​

[SIZE=10pt]0.3[/SIZE]​

[SIZE=10pt]0.1[/SIZE]​
[SIZE=10pt]2004[/SIZE]

[SIZE=10pt]4.7[/SIZE]

[SIZE=10pt]1.8[/SIZE]​

[SIZE=10pt]1.6[/SIZE]​

[SIZE=10pt]0.9[/SIZE]​

[SIZE=10pt]0.2[/SIZE]​

[SIZE=10pt]0.1[/SIZE]​
[SIZE=10pt]Steve Levy [/SIZE]

[SIZE=10pt]0.1[/SIZE]​
[SIZE=10pt]2005[/SIZE]

[SIZE=10pt]3.5[/SIZE]

[SIZE=10pt]1.5[/SIZE]​

[SIZE=10pt]1.1[/SIZE]​

[SIZE=10pt]0.6[/SIZE]​

[SIZE=10pt]0.3[/SIZE]​
[SIZE=10pt]2006[/SIZE]

[SIZE=10pt]5.2[/SIZE]

[SIZE=10pt]2.6[/SIZE]​

[SIZE=10pt]0.9[/SIZE]​

[SIZE=10pt]0.7[/SIZE]​
[SIZE=10pt]Bryan Schutte [/SIZE]

[SIZE=10pt]0.4[/SIZE]​

[SIZE=10pt]0.4[/SIZE]​

[SIZE=10pt]0.2[/SIZE]​
[SIZE=10pt]2007[/SIZE]

[SIZE=10pt]3.8[/SIZE]

[SIZE=10pt]1.7[/SIZE]​

[SIZE=10pt]1.3[/SIZE]​

[SIZE=10pt]0.4[/SIZE]​

[SIZE=10pt]0.3[/SIZE]​

[SIZE=10pt]0.1[/SIZE]​
[SIZE=10pt]2008[/SIZE]

[SIZE=10pt]5.2[/SIZE]

[SIZE=10pt]2.3[/SIZE]​

[SIZE=10pt]2.1[/SIZE]​

[SIZE=10pt]0.5[/SIZE]​
[SIZE=10pt]Tracy Slocum [/SIZE]

[SIZE=10pt]0.2[/SIZE]​

[SIZE=10pt]0.1[/SIZE]​
[SIZE=10pt]2009[/SIZE]

[SIZE=10pt]4.9[/SIZE]

[SIZE=10pt]2.4[/SIZE]​

[SIZE=10pt]1.9[/SIZE]​
[SIZE=10pt]Brian Holley [/SIZE]

[SIZE=10pt]0.5[/SIZE]​
[SIZE=10pt]Will Kapp [/SIZE]

[SIZE=10pt]0.1[/SIZE]​
[SIZE=10pt]2010[/SIZE]

[SIZE=10pt]2.6[/SIZE]

[SIZE=10pt]1.8[/SIZE]​

[SIZE=10pt]0.5[/SIZE]​

[SIZE=10pt]0.3[/SIZE]​
[SIZE=10pt]2011[/SIZE]

[SIZE=10pt]2.5[/SIZE]

[SIZE=10pt]0.7[/SIZE]​

[SIZE=10pt]0.5[/SIZE]​

[SIZE=10pt]0.5[/SIZE]​

[SIZE=10pt]0.5[/SIZE]​

[SIZE=10pt]0.3[/SIZE]​
[SIZE=10pt]2012[/SIZE]

[SIZE=10pt]2.5[/SIZE]

[SIZE=10pt]1.3[/SIZE]​

[SIZE=10pt]0.6[/SIZE]​

[SIZE=10pt]0.6[/SIZE]​
I know I am late on this, but this is a great post ... for THIS Martin owner at least. :lol: May prove to be nothing, but something to think on regardless.

Just wanted to say thanks for posting it.

The Tampa Tribune says Doug Martin will see fewer touches under Lovie Smith than he saw while playing for Greg Schiano.
Martin is the clear-cut starter, but he's not expected to get near the 23.0 touches per game he saw over the last two seasons. The Lovie regime used a top-70 pick on passing back Charles Sims, Mike James returns from his ankle injury and new OC Jeff Tedford has stated his desire to use a committee. Look for Martin to get most of the carries (but not all) and lose some receptions, leaving him with around 16-18 touches per game.

Source: Tampa Tribune
Jul 23 - 8:43 AM

Rotoworld:

Doug Martin rushed three times for six yards in Friday night's preseason opener against the Jaguars, adding one catch for two yards.

The Jaguars' first-team defense dominated the Bucs' starting offense, and the interior of Tampa's O-Line performed especially terribly. Coach Lovie Smith really needs to find a combination at both guard spots that can block some defenders. If not, Martin is going to be in for a long season running the ball.

Aug 8 - 9:04 PM

strange sparse usage, you mean his sub par 3.5 ypc and always getting banged up? that could be why their Chief what da ya think???

Time to sell fellas. He only averaged 2 ypc.

The suckers will think it doesn't matter since it's only 3 carries in the pre-season, but in the SP we know better.

I didn't catch the game. Did Sims get any touches with the 1's? I was/am really high on Sims coming into the draft so am wondering if there was any indication of how they plan on using him.

I didn't catch the game. Did Sims get any touches with the 1's? I was/am really high on Sims coming into the draft so am wondering if there was any indication of how they plan on using him.
He did not, and he came in after Rainey.

Unless the Bucs trade for Boone they aren't going to be able to run the ball up the middle. They were trying another guy starting at right guard in practice yesterday over Meredith, who started the preseason game.

Hopefully Teddford & Lovie have some kind of plan to mask the worst guard situation in the NFL.

traded him last week, got cold feet with the 2014 season..FFninja has offered some good info about Martin..too many rbs in TB, dont trust Lovie, and I just dont see that line amounting to a hill of beans...and, he's pretty unspectacular..a ho-hum RB at best..or 'meh' if you prefer..

traded him last week, got cold feet with the 2014 season..FFninja has offered some good info about Martin..too many rbs in TB, dont trust Lovie, and I just dont see that line amounting to a hill of beans...and, he's pretty unspectacular..a ho-hum RB at best..or 'meh' if you prefer..
What did you trade him for?

What did you trade him for?
From Tanners description I'd guess a wetnap and a bag of chips

strange sparse usage, you mean his sub par 3.5 ypc and always getting banged up? that could be why their Chief what da ya think???
I think it's strange you are responding to a post over a month old and that your poor grasp of English leaves your posts with kind of an unfunny SWC feel to them. I miss the ol' swcer. I wonder what became of him.

Rotoworld:

Charles Sims - RB - Buccaneers

Bucs rookie RB Charles Sims will miss 12-14 weeks after undergoing surgery on his right ankle.

The surgery will take place Saturday to repair Sims' fractured ankle. He may be a candidate for injured reserve/designated for return, or even the permanent I.R. list. The Bucs used a top-70 draft pick on Sims in hopes of utilizing him as a passing-game specialist behind Doug Martin. Bobby Rainey now becomes the favorite for change-of-pace duties, while Mike James should be a lock for the final 53. Martin's fantasy value certainly isn't hurt by Sims' absence. He could see a few more targets in the passing game.

Source: Rick Stroud on Twitter

Aug 15 - 2:54 PM

Mike James hurt his shoulder or something last night. What was once a position of strength is getting thinner.

Rotoworld:

Coach Lovie Smith called Doug Martin the Bucs' "bell cow" at running back.

"With Mike James going down with an injury and with Charles Sims going down, Doug is our bell cow," Smith said. "He likes that role. He's had a good camp, hasn't missed a beat. He's going to rush for a lot of yards for us this year." Martin's had a quiet summer, leading some to believe he's more RB2 than RB1, but he's the lead dog in an offense that projects to lean heavily on its run game. We think Martin has tremendous value at his current early-third-round ADP. The offensive line being able to open holes consistently is a major question mark.

Source: Associated Press

Aug 22 - 12:07 PM

Mike James hurt his shoulder or something last night. What was once a position of strength is getting thinner.
How long is he out for?

This was looking liek a RBBC, now no Sims, if James were also out for a while that would be a big development.

Rotoworld:

Bucs acquired LG Logan Mankins from the Patriots in exchange for TE Tim Wright and a 2015 fourth-round pick.

That's certainly a way for the Bucs to improve their guard play. Mankins, 32, is a six-time Pro Bowl selection and former All-Pro at a position where players tend to age well. He was a top-18 guard at Pro Football Focus last season, grading out as a top-four run blocker. The move is good news for Doug Martin's fantasy stock. Mankins will slide in between LT Anthony Collins and C Evan Dietrich-Smith. Tampa Bay will patch something together at right guard next to RT Demar Dotson. Bucs GM Jason Licht was in New England when Mankins was drafted in 2005.

Related: Tim Wright, Patriots

Source: Jay Glazer on Twitter

Aug 26 - 1:41 PM

Users who are viewing this thread