What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

RB Doug Martin, Free Agent (4 Viewers)

Doug Martin was to be the "bell cow" before the injuries as well. He is heads and shoulders above any other running back they have, the reason he could not succeed last year (prior to injuries) is the opposing defenses taking him out. In retrospect, looking at the Bucs early schedule, Martin was up against tough, tough front 7s.

There is no reason not to think Doug Martin can become a stud RB1 this year if the O-line play improves to adequate.

I didn't really have any interest I n any Bucs fantasy players this season due to the poor o-line play, bhr the Mankind trade changes everything. I still don't think anyone is being under valued, but I would definitely take a shot on Martin.

Rotoworld:

Doug Martin - RB - Buccaneers

The new Bucs coaching staff has reportedly changed their opinion on Doug Martin as a pass-catcher.

The Lovie Smith regime came to Tampa thinking they needed to find a passing back, which led to the selection of Charles Sims at No. 69 overall. But that opinion "changed in a big way after Martin used training camp and the preseason to show his versatility." Now Sims (ankle) is out until at least Week 10, Martin is shaping up as a three-down back and the Bucs have added a nasty run-blocker in Logan Mankins. The Muscle Hamster's arrow is pointing up.

Source: ESPN.com

Sep 1 - 10:09 AM

Rotoworld:

The new Bucs coaching staff has reportedly changed their opinion on Doug Martin as a pass-catcher.

The Lovie Smith regime came to Tampa thinking they needed to find a passing back, which led to the selection of Charles Sims at No. 69 overall. But that opinion "changed in a big way after Martin used training camp and the preseason to show his versatility." Now Sims (ankle) is out until at least Week 10, Martin is shaping up as a three-down back and the Bucs have added a nasty run-blocker in Logan Mankins. The Muscle Hamster's arrow is pointing up.

:pickle:

Rotoworld:

He had 49 receptions as a rookie. Why was the coaching staff so sour on his ability as a receiver?

Martin in the 3rd is starting to look like highway robbery if things go his way.

I might be over board with this but I picked him in the early 2nd round because I think he can post RB1 numbers but I hope I'm not dreaming.

Rotoworld:

He had 49 receptions as a rookie. Why was the coaching staff so sour on his ability as a receiver?Martin in the 3rd is starting to look like highway robbery if things go his way.
At least this proves that Lovie is smarter than Schiano.

Sept. 4

Doug Martin: ‘Still The Player I Was That Rookie Year’

http://gottlieb.radio.cbssports.com/2014/09/04/doug-martin-still-the-player-i-was-that-rookie-year/

Today:

Doug Martin rushed nine times for nine yards and caught a seven-yard pass in the Bucs' Week 1 loss to Carolina, before exiting with a left knee injury.

Embarrassingly, FB Jorvorski Lane (1-54) and 35-year-old QB Josh McCown (3-27) both outgained Martin. Martin was in and out of the game due to the injury. As the Buccaneers' offensive line lost LG Logan Mankins (knee) early on, there were no running lanes for Martin against Carolina's stout front. Martin did operate as an every-down back when healthy, but lost work to Bobby Rainey in the Bucs' hurry-up offense late in the game. (Rainey scored a six-yard receiving TD). Keep an eye on Martin's health. He seems likely to miss practice time before a Week 2 date with St. Louis.

Sep 7 - 7:35 PM

Speaking after Sunday's loss to the Panthers, Doug Martin said he has to wait and see on the severity of his injury.

Martin had his lower left leg wrapped in the locker room and said he got hurt when someone rolled onto it. Presumably, he'll head for further testing on Monday. All owners can do for now is cross their fingers and add Bobby Rainey, who ran as Martin's clear-cut backup Sunday.

Related: Bobby Rainey

Source: Greg Auman on Twitter

Sep 7 - 9:37 PM

Rotoworld:

Speaking in a Monday radio interview, Bucs coach Lovie Smith called Doug Martin's knee/leg injury "minor."

Smith hinted Martin could have even re-entered the Bucs' loss to the Panthers, suggesting he was simply benched for Bobby Rainey. "Doug did go down with a little minor injury there, so we had to make a change, and from there he was able to come back and he was ready to go," Smith said. "Bobby had come and had given us a little bit of life, and as Ive mentioned we want to play more than one running back throughout." Smith's allusion to a benching is bad on the surface, but it wouldn't be the first time a coach downplayed an injury. We wouldn't be surprised if Martin had only been available on an emergency basis. Either way, Rainey is a prudent add for Martin owners. We should get a firmer idea of Martin's status when the Bucs return to practice on Wednesday.

Source: JoeBucsFan.com

Sep 9 - 1:16 PM

Last edited by a moderator:
Rotoworld:

Doug Martin (knee) returned to Bucs practice on Thursday.

He'll likely be listed as "limited," but it's further proof Martin's injury isn't major. Fantasy owners can't take Martin's status for granted, but he should be out there against the Rams. At less than 100 percent, Martin is a low-end RB2. Backup Bobby Rainey figures to get some run against St. Louis.

Source: Roy Cummings on Twitter

Sep 11 - 2:00 PM

More speculation he may have been benched and not really hurt.

totally regretting trading for him in my dynasty league, ugh....

http://www.bucsnation.com/2014/9/11/6136239/doug-martin-benched-for-pass-protection-looked-stiff
That's actually what I was worried about. Like I said on Sunday, the concerning part was not the 9 yards rushing at 1ypc so much as it was that he was terrible in pass protection. That article basically says he was benched for that very reason.

Definitely not good, especially when the coach already had doubts about using him as a 3-down back.

Who played the most in the fourth quarter when they scored twice?
Rainey was already taking 3rd down looks. He caught a TD pass in the 4th quarter and also fumbled away Tampa's chances at completing their comeback on the final possession.

Lets not act like Bobby Rainey was great, he was getting stuffed just as bad on inside runs and had a fumble. I'm thinking this was just a bad game against a top 5 defense. I do agree that he looked stiff, but Ive seen him be elusive many times so I wont overreact to one game.

Lets not act like Bobby Rainey was great, he was getting stuffed just as bad on inside runs and had a fumble. I'm thinking this was just a bad game against a top 5 defense. I do agree that he looked stiff, but Ive seen him be elusive many times so I wont overreact to one game.
Nobody on the offense looked great. It could have been the tough defense, but it's probably several factors. The lack of continuity of the offensive line and the offense as a whole contributed to the poor play as well. It could be a while before they get it all shored up. If at all. The guard play has been a glaring weakness since mini camp.

The addition of Mankins was supposed to help, but he's hurt now as well.

Rotoworld:

Speaking Thursday, Bucs coach Lovie Smith said there was "no truth" to reports that Doug Martin was pulled from Sunday's loss for poor pass protection.

Specifically, Smith said there was "no truth to that at all." Smith went on to say Martin's absence was injury related, which somewhat contradicts what he said in a Tuesday radio interview. From what we can gather, Martin was pulled from the game for good after getting shaken up on a hit from Bene Benwikere in the fourth quarter. Martin should play through his knee injury on Sunday against the Rams, but will be at less than 100 percent. He was limited in Thursday's practice.

Sep 11 - 3:49 PM

Rotoworld:

After practicing on a limited basis Thursday and Friday, Doug Martin (knee) is listed as questionable for Week 2 against the Rams.

The fact that Martin participated in practice on back-to-back days to finish out the week, even in limited form, suggests he is tentatively on track to play. Still, he may officially come down to a game-time decision, and is also in danger of losing some touches to Bobby Rainey, on whom the Bucs' coaching staff is clearly high. The Rams and Bucs don't play until 4:05PM ET on Sunday, so Martin owners need to have an alternative ready in an early game, or at the very least have Rainey rostered as a handcuff.

Sep 12 - 3:12 PM

Rotoworld:

According to FOX's Jay Glazer, Doug Martin (knee) will be inactive for Sunday's game against the Rams.

A knee injury that originally seemed minor is serious enough to cause Martin to sit. Consider him questionable for a dreamy Week 3 matchup at Atlanta. Backup Bobby Rainey, who averaged just 3.88 YPC on 137 rushes last year, steps in as a shaky RB3 type against a very strong Rams run defense.

Source: Ian Rapoport on Twitter

Sep 14 - 12:43 PM

Even if Martin plays the next game, Rainey bought himself a lot of carries today. He played really well. Probably a 50-50 split for now

I wonder if lovie smith is obligated to start Doug Martin. He didn't draft him so hopefully he'll stay with the hot RB. Very juicy match up week 3 if Rainey is the bell cow again

Rotoworld:

Coach Lovie Smith suggested Doug Martin (knee) would have participated Monday if the Bucs had held a practice.

As beat writer Rick Stroud notes, it means Martin is "in play" for Thursday night's game at Atlanta. The Falcons have been gashed by the run game through two weeks -- surrendering a league-high five rushing TDs -- but Martin's role isn't entirely clear. Bobby Rainey went off for 22-144 and 3-30 in the pass game during Sunday's loss to St. Louis. This may be an even RBBC with Martin back.

Source: Rick Stroud on Twitter

Sep 15 - 4:20 PM

Rotoworld:

Coach Lovie Smith suggested Doug Martin (knee) would have participated Monday if the Bucs had held a practice.

As beat writer Rick Stroud notes, it means Martin is "in play" for Thursday night's game at Atlanta. The Falcons have been gashed by the run game through two weeks -- surrendering a league-high five rushing TDs -- but Martin's role isn't entirely clear. Bobby Rainey went off for 22-144 and 3-30 in the pass game during Sunday's loss to St. Louis. This may be an even RBBC with Martin back.

Source: Rick Stroud on Twitter

Sep 15 - 4:20 PM
At this point, RBBC with Martin is good enough for me to start him with all the injuries

If Martin doesn't turn it around and Rainey doesn't do much himself, I wonder if Sims gets a shot somewhere down the line when he returns.

After all, Sims is the guy the new regime brought in, with Martin and Rainey the holdovers.

I think Martin is still the guy...they raved about him in camp...I don't see how he doesn't get the chance "to start" at least if he is back

Straight RBBC. They can't keep Rainey off the field if he is that productive.
Agreed. I am a Martin owner, but I think it'll be RBBC with them going with the hot hand on a weekly basis. Not what we Martin owners were hoping for, but it is what it is.

If Martin doesn't turn it around and Rainey doesn't do much himself, I wonder if Sims gets a shot somewhere down the line when he returns.

After all, Sims is the guy the new regime brought in, with Martin and Rainey the holdovers.
No question. All the signs were pointing towards Sims being "their" guy.

If both are 100% healthy I think Martin will get 60/40 vs bad defenses. Against good defenses that are pressuring the QB I think we see more Rainey. Martin is a liability when defenses are really pressuring the QB.

If both are 100% healthy I think Martin will get 60/40 vs bad defenses. Against good defenses that are pressuring the QB I think we see more Rainey. Martin is a liability when defenses are really pressuring the QB.
Any news about Martin's knee?

What exactly was the injury? Is it something that could flare up again?

I have the #1 WW priority, and I have to choose between Rainey and Forsett. Both seem to be the #2 RBs, but I think Rainey has a higher ceiling, while Forsett might get more regular touches (but not necessarily be "the guy" at all this year).

I have the #1 WW priority, and I have to choose between Rainey and Forsett. Both seem to be the #2 RBs, but I think Rainey has a higher ceiling, while Forsett might get more regular touches (but not necessarily be "the guy" at all this year).
Wasn't Forsett supposed to be "the guy" last week? Yet Pierce was showcased. I'd go with Rainey.

Wasn't Forsett supposed to be "the guy" last week? Yet Pierce was showcased. I'd go with Rainey.
Not from what I read. Pierce was reported to be the main/1st RB last Thursday. Many FFers believed/hoped Forsett would be "the guy" based on Pierce getting pulled week 1, but that's not what they were saying in Baltimore.

Rotoworld:

Doug Martin (knee) participated in Tuesday's practice, and was running with the first-team offense.

It's a sign the Bucs fully expect Martin to go for Thursday night's game against the Falcons. The question is what his role will be. Martin struggled mightily in Week 1, while backup Bobby Rainey went off against the Rams in his absence in Week 2. For now, owners should consider Martin a borderline RB2 against a Falcons run defense that's been gashed through the season's first two games.

Sep 16 - 2:00 PM

[SIZE=14.4444446563721px]That's gotta make you cautious about getting Rainey on waivers unless you are a Martin owner and have an open spot for the handcuff. Better waiver options for general RB depth than Rainey.[/SIZE]

I just saw a tweet of a screen cap showing Rainey missing a block that led to a McCown sack. So maybe they are both liabilities in the pass game. In Martins defense he said his injury vs Carolina was the reason he gave up a sack or 2.

I fully expect Martin to be given the opportunity to take back the #1 role, but Rainey will likely see enough carries to remain relevant.

What was the knee injury anyhow? Gotta think the bigger risk is that he tweaks it again in the 1st quarter against Atlanta and leaves the game with 2 carries for 8 yards or something of the sort.

I just dumped Martin for Ellington. In case anybody else is considering ridding themselves of the risk with Martin, that's the going rate.

What was the knee injury anyhow? Gotta think the bigger risk is that he tweaks it again in the 1st quarter against Atlanta and leaves the game with 2 carries for 8 2 yards or something of the sort.
Going by his average so far this season, I fixed your post.

Rotoworld:

According NFL Network's Ian Rapoport, Doug Martin (knee) is unlikely to play in Thursday night's game against the Falcons.

Martin will test out his knee pregame before the Bucs make his status official. But it's now crystal clear that Bobby Rainey is a borderline RB1 play against a Falcons defense that has already given up 284 yards and five touchdowns to opponent tailbacks. Reports already had the hot Rainey, growing into a coaching staff favorite, in line to start the game. He also started against the Falcons in Week 11 of last year, going for 167 total yards on 32 touches and scoring three touchdowns.

Sep 18 - 12:11 PM

Rotoworld:

According NFL Network's Ian Rapoport, Doug Martin (knee) is unlikely to play in Thursday night's game against the Falcons.

Martin will test out his knee pregame before the Bucs make his status official. But it's now crystal clear that Bobby Rainey is a borderline RB1 play against a Falcons defense that has already given up 284 yards and five touchdowns to opponent tailbacks. Reports already had the hot Rainey, growing into a coaching staff favorite, in line to start the game. He also started against the Falcons in Week 11 of last year, going for 167 total yards on 32 touches and scoring three touchdowns.

With all the injuries to my RBs, I'm stuck with starting Ivory or one of Rainey/Martin. My instincts are screaming to start Rainey, but the lingering chance of Martin playing is killing me.

Rotoworld:

With all the injuries to my RBs, I'm stuck with starting Ivory or one of Rainey/Martin. My instincts are screaming to start Rainey, but the lingering chance of Martin playing is killing me.
Do it man. Start Rainey. I am. My only other healthy RBs are Fred Jackson and Chris Johnson, and I'm praying a trade for Knile goes through on Sat so I can have another potential RB1. No way I play Martin now.

Users who are viewing this thread