What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

RB Doug Martin, Free Agent (3 Viewers)

Rotoworld:

Doug Martin - RB - Buccaneers

ESPN Bucs reporter Pat Yasinskas expects Doug Martin to get the "bulk of the carries" in Sunday's game at Pittsburgh.

Bobby Rainey lost two fumbles as the Bucs got absolutely pasted by the Falcons last Thursday night. So it's only logical to think Martin will regain his starting job and be the lead dog in a committee. He's a mid-range RB2 in a nice matchup against a beaten down Pittsburgh defense.

Related: Bobby Rainey

Source: ESPN.com

Sep 26 - 11:25 PM

Just traded Ahmad Bradshaw for Martin, thinking I'd rather have a feature guy than a time share guy. The biggest question for Martin: does he return to his rookie form or remain the runner we've seen the last few games (last season included)? I know a lot of people were encouraged by his performance in the pre-season, so I'm optimistic he'll do well.

Although they don't have best run blocking in Tampa, the Steelers at least don't defend the run particularly well. Definitely play Martin if you have him.

Last edited by a moderator:
Keep going back and forth between starting him and Asiata. Just put Martin in based on his comments about wanting to show what he can still do. Don't have a lot of confidence in the guy but how stupid would I feel not starting a motivated Doug Martin over Asiata who is only start worthy due to his role (which isn't much different than Martin's this week).

I'm on the fence between Martin and F-Jax. I'm leaning to Jax. I just feel as though I want to see him play before plugging him into the lineup.

0.5PPR. Debating Martin, Charles and Sproles for my 2nd RB slot. Prefer Charles but the Mon night is a killer (don't own Davis).

I'm on the fence between Martin and F-Jax. I'm leaning to Jax. I just feel as though I want to see him play before plugging him into the lineup.
0.5PPR. Debating Martin, Charles and Sproles for my 2nd RB slot. Prefer Charles but the Mon night is a killer (don't own Davis).
For me, I can't see a situation where somebody who drafted Martin should fail to play him this week. Unless you have two of McCoy, Murray, Charles, or Bell in a stone age league without a flex, you've got to put in the muscle hamster. Great match up against Pittsburgh, and who doesn't expect 15-20 touches for him this week?

Just my :2cents:

cloppbeast said:
Just traded Ahmad Bradshaw for Martin, thinking I'd rather have a feature guy than a time share guy. The biggest question for Martin: does he return to his rookie form or remain the runner we've seen the last few games (last season included)? I know a lot of people were encouraged by his performance in the pre-season, so I'm optimistic he'll do well.

Although they don't have best run blocking in Tampa, the Steelers at least don't defend the run particularly well. Definitely play Martin if you have him.
I just traded M.Stafford and Chris Ivory away for both D.Martin and Rainey...hoping between one of those 2 i find a RB 2b as i have J.Charles and zac stacy as my 1 and 2

For me, I can't see a situation where somebody who drafted Martin should fail to play him this week. Unless you have two of McCoy, Murray, Charles, or Bell in a stone age league without a flex, you've got to put in the muscle hamster. Great match up against Pittsburgh, and who doesn't expect 15-20 touches for him this week?

At some point you have to forget the draft and play your best lineup. There are plenty of guys drafted after Martin that could and should be considered over him.

Big upside play for Martin today. If he is healthy the Bucs should make him the "bell cow". If him and Glennon perform well it could give the team the spark it needs.

Honestly though, nobody has any idea how this Tedford/Arroyo/Lovie offense is supposed to work.

At some point you have to forget the draft and play your best lineup. There are plenty of guys drafted after Martin that could and should be considered over him.
The draft doesn't have much to do with it; I disagree with the bolded sentence. There's only 4-5 running backs I'd start over Martin this week.

A lot has happened since the draft. Martin was getting tons of praise by the staff at being the number 1 guy, they signed Mankins and all was looking promising. Then game 1 comes and he runs for 9 yards on 9 carries and Rainey has looked good. There were whispers of him getting sat not just for the injury and possibly being healthy for the Thur night game...Suffice it to say, I would love to put him in with confidence as my number 2 back behind Lacy, but I just don't know what to expect. Yhea, the matchup is nice, but are we sure Martin is going to get most of the carries? Will Rainey spell him a bit as he gets his game conditioning back? And what if Martin starts slow and Rainey looks good?

See what I'm saying? I just feel I need to see what Tampa is going to do and how they handle him before I just plug him into my lineup. Hopefully, he looks good and is used a lot so I can feel comfortable using him next week and moving forward. Until then, I'm sticking with steady Freddy today.

A lot has happened since the draft. Martin was getting tons of praise by the staff at being the number 1 guy, they signed Mankins and all was looking promising. Then game 1 comes and he runs for 9 yards on 9 carries and Rainey has looked good. There were whispers of him getting sat not just for the injury and possibly being healthy for the Thur night game...Suffice it to say, I would love to put him in with confidence as my number 2 back behind Lacy, but I just don't know what to expect. Yhea, the matchup is nice, but are we sure Martin is going to get most of the carries? Will Rainey spell him a bit as he gets his game conditioning back? And what if Martin starts slow and Rainey looks good?

See what I'm saying? I just feel I need to see what Tampa is going to do and how they handle him before I just plug him into my lineup. Hopefully, he looks good and is used a lot so I can feel comfortable using him next week and moving forward. Until then, I'm sticking with steady Freddy today.
Rainey only had 12 yards on 4 carries in that same game...so he didnt light it up vs that Car def

NAME POS YRs RSH RSHYD YD/RSH FD RSHTD TARG REC RECYD YD/REC FD RECTD FANT PT

1 Bobby Rainey rb 2013--2014 174 729 4.1897 32 5 28 23 129 5.6087 8 2 127.8000

2 Doug Martin rb 2013--2014 136 465 3.4191 16 1 26 13 73 5.6154 1 0 59.8000

The draft doesn't have much to do with it; I disagree with the bolded sentence. There's only 4-5 running backs I'd start over Martin this week.
thats pretty crazy. mccoy, forte, bell, murry, foster, lacy, charles, lamar, donald, jennings, morris, spiller, fjax, bradshaw are no brainers. id add ivory, deangelo, khiry, pierre, asiata, reggie.

cvnpoka said:
cloppbeast said:
ratbast said:
cloppbeast said:
Silver & Black said:
Andrew74 said:

thats pretty crazy. mccoy, forte, bell, murry, foster, lacy, charles, lamar, donald, jennings, morris, spiller, fjax, bradshaw are no brainers. id add ivory, deangelo, khiry, pierre, asiata, reggie.
You didnt list Rainey???? I thought hes the starter and Doug was being traded?

cvnpoka said:
cloppbeast said:
ratbast said:
cloppbeast said:
Silver & Black said:
Andrew74 said:

looking at your list, I change my answer to 8: mccoy, forte, bell, foster, charles, morris, jennings, and maybe donald brown.

cstu said:
NAME POS YRs RSH RSHYD YD/RSH FD RSHTD TARG REC RECYD YD/REC FD RECTD FANT PT1 Bobby Rainey rb 2013--2014 174 729 4.1897 32 5 28 23 129 5.6087 8 2 127.80002 Doug Martin rb 2013--2014 136 465 3.4191 16 1 26 13 73 5.6154 1 0 59.8000
Rainey's YPC in just his starts is in the ~3.7 range if I recall.

And that's not even accounting for the fact that the Bucs as a whole were much better in the 2nd half of last year when things came together around the midway point (prior to which Rainey and James were struggling as well, but after which they both played much better behind a much improved line).

ETA: The bottom line is that, in 9 starts Rainey has had 2 really good games and 7 really bad ones. He's only rushed for 4ypc or better in 2 out of 9 starts.

ETA2: By comparison Doug Martin has eclipsed 4ypc in 6 of his last 9 starts.

As a Martin owner, I am not pulling the trigger today.

1. I want to see him get the bulk of the RB touches first.

2. I want to see him stay healthy for a full game.

I don't want to start him and see him get limited touches or leave in the first quarter after getting dinged up again.

So yeah, he'll probably go for 100 and two scores now. :lol:

The offensive coaching in Tampa is a mess today. Pathetic. All the delay of games, obviously with the new coaches they are still figuring out a few things.

The offensive coaching in Tampa is a mess today. Pathetic. All the delay of games, obviously with the new coaches they are still figuring out a few things.
Tedford wasn't calling plays today, the quarterbacks coach took over the responsibilities. I thought he slung it a little too much, but of course they still put up a bunch of points and won the game, so I really have no room to talk. Still, when Tedford returns, I would think they run it a little bit more.

I definitely wasn't impressed with Martin in this game, but he also surprisingly didn't have much running room either. Fortunately it seemed like he got the majority of the work over Rainey except in the hurry up offense.

Tedford wasn't calling plays today, the quarterbacks coach took over the responsibilities. I thought he slung it a little too much, but of course they still put up a bunch of points and won the game, so I really have no room to talk. Still, when Tedford returns, I would think they run it a little bit more.

I definitely wasn't impressed with Martin in this game, but he also surprisingly didn't have much running room either. Fortunately it seemed like he got the majority of the work over Rainey except in the hurry up offense.
Tedford hasn't called plays all year, and he won't be back this season. It's hard to argue against the play calling when they weren't able to have success running the ball. The situation stinks right now, and I'm not seeing much reason for optimism that it's going to improve.

That's a little concerning that Martin is not the hurry up RB, but when healthy, he is obviously gonna be the workhorse, so that is definitely good. Hopefully, TB's late offensive surge and Glennon playing better than McCown was will open things up and make TB's offense look less awful.

Now might be a good time to trade Martin while you can. It was positive that he appears to be "the guy" but Pittsburgh D was pretty soft. He only has maybe 4 good looking matchups the rest of the season before fantasy playoffs.

Rotoworld:

The Bucs coaches reportedly still think Doug Martin is way ahead of the other running backs.

We're not exactly sure why the Bucs coaches would think this. Martin has been a liability in pass protection and is averaging just 3.37 YPC over his last eight games. That includes an ugly 2.13 YPC on his 23 carries this year. Even if we can project 15 touches for Martin against the Saints Sunday, he's a weak RB2 bet.

Oct 3 - 8:00 PM

Rotoworld:

The Bucs coaches reportedly still think Doug Martin is way ahead of the other running backs.

We're not exactly sure why the Bucs coaches would think this. Martin has been a liability in pass protection and is averaging just 3.37 YPC over his last eight games. That includes an ugly 2.13 YPC on his 23 carries this year. Even if we can project 15 touches for Martin against the Saints Sunday, he's a weak RB2 bet.

Oct 3 - 8:00 PM
Didn't realize Rainey write's for Rotoworld.

so rainey is the red zone back too?
Martin had been getting a lot of work that drive, I think he actually came out for a blow the play before the TD and the Bucs ended up running a tempo snap.

Rotoworld:

Doug Martin rushed for 45 yards on 14 carries in the Bucs' Week 5 loss to the Saints.

He caught three passes for an additional 29 yards. Martin also had a 32-yard catch-and-run called back on an illegal formation penalty. Running room was hard to come by early, but Martin found some holes as the game went on. He out-touched Bobby Rainey 17-9, but Rainey is the one who found the end zone from nine yards away in the second half. Martin will remain a mid-to-low RB2 next week at home against the Ravens.

Oct 5 - 5:13 PM

I'm interested in how he looked yesterday, from someone who watched the game.

Early on he had 11 yards on 8 carries or something along those lines, but in the game thread someone posted he actually looked pretty good (making something out of nothing). He ended with his best total yard output of the year even with a long catch and run called back, but didn't get that TD. I did see on the next drive he was in once they got into the red zone. On the drive that Rainey got the TD, was he pulled when they got close, or was he taking a breather?

I've seen people talk about dropping him which I think is nuts. With the dearth of startable RBs in the league, I'm actually very encouraged by the last two weeks. Should I be? Rainey may have gotten that TD, but was out-touched almost 2 to 1 and didn't look any better running the ball (at least according to YPC). TB seems to be getting better and I know he was in once they got into the red zone on at least one occasion. Seems to me the arrow is pointing up on this guy, not down.

Am I off base?

I'm interested in how he looked yesterday, from someone who watched the game.

Early on he had 11 yards on 8 carries or something along those lines, but in the game thread someone posted he actually looked pretty good (making something out of nothing). He ended with his best total yard output of the year even with a long catch and run called back, but didn't get that TD. I did see on the next drive he was in once they got into the red zone. On the drive that Rainey got the TD, was he pulled when they got close, or was he taking a breather?

I've seen people talk about dropping him which I think is nuts. With the dearth of startable RBs in the league, I'm actually very encouraged by the last two weeks. Should I be? Rainey may have gotten that TD, but was out-touched almost 2 to 1 and didn't look any better running the ball (at least according to YPC). TB seems to be getting better and I know he was in once they got into the red zone on at least one occasion. Seems to me the arrow is pointing up on this guy, not down.

Am I off base?
I don't own Martin in any league and have loaded up on Rainey where ever I can. I think it's a matter of time either until he gets injured again, fumbles, misses a block, continues to be ineffective. Rainey has his warts too but is so much more electric when he has the balls in his hands...the problem with were the fumbles. I think Rainey is a must own because I think it's a cheap upside play.

Users who are viewing this thread